g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

Don't want to hear people complain about how we attack if they want Shaw and AWB as the fullbacks.
You and I know what their performance threads are going to look like after we play stubborn defenses

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Spending 50m and upward for a one season wonder young fullback is insane. None of the two CL finalists have spent those kind of money for a fecking young fullback. I'd rather keep Young (rotating with Dalot) and add those 50+m pushing to get Sancho.
One season wonder suggests he's had his best season. What if he has an even better season next year, he would be worth even more?

The good thing about bidding big on a young player like this is we will probably recoup our money anyway regardless of his success. Let's say we pay 50m, he is okay for us but not great, and we decide to get rid in 3 years. With market inflation as it is we could probably get 50m back for him. I think he'll be a great signing though and I happy we are in for him.

Bestietom

He was very good last season, but Dalot and Laird has very good potential also. Think we should be looking at CB's and Midfielders first.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Dalot already spent a year as Youngs understudy, being someone else understudy wont do him anygood. If Dalot can not handle the pressure, he should be moved on, come to think of it, I don't think I ever seen a player in Uniteds first-team that could not handle the pressure. Laird or O'Connor could be anything from several weeks to several years away from Premier League football, the thing is, we will never know unless we play them. We can not expect other to develop players for us, and no one is supposed to be better at developing players then United. O'Connor turns 19 this summer, there is no way he is to young, all he lacks is experience, which he will not get if we blocks his path to first team football.

Laird spend a year out being injured, so I would not count on him getting ready over the summer, usually you need a solid physical training foundation before playing first team fooball, but I don't have any insight into how Laird have done on the training field. Chong is another example of a player spending a year out injured before getting back last season playing regular U23 football, Chong has not been physical ready to play first team football last season as he has not gotten the training foundation needed to play in Premier League. But after this summer one can hope that Chong works hard enough in training so he will be physical ready to play in the Premier League next season.

This is atleast how I think about it when it comes to give young talented players a chance. There is plenty of talent at the academy, we just need to identify who is ready physically, then give them a chance, instead of blocking their path. The times we have not been rewarded doing so is rare, usually our failure has come from not playing or own talents.

Only reason to sign AWB is if he is good enough, a clear upgrade on or own talents, and I don't know if he is that. He lacks the ability to attack on the opponents half, so we have to spend time develop this ability in AWB, and for the price quoted, I feel like we are better served staying away. Our defense has been leaking since our tactics been to park a bus, and obviously a defensive fullback makes sense in such systems. But in a high tempo attacking structure, defensive fullbacks does not help a lot, as long as they have enough energy to run back into position when we lose the ball, they need to be attacking. A old saying, attack is the best defense, and lets worry about beating City and Barcelona later, for now we need to beat Wolves and Everton to move up the table.
We need to strengthen the team now. If you think that Dalot is good enough to slot straight into the RB position, then fine, but I, as yet, have not seen that he is ready. He would get games in the first team for sure, in both full back positions. Why would learning from a proven Prem full back do him no good? I don't get that thinking. Where did I mention that Laird and O'Connor were too young? They are both very inexperienced, but like I said, going on the pre season tour could be the making of one or both (and if any of those three look the part, then buying AWB would be pointless) as it could be for Chong, Gomes, Greenwood and Garner. You don't think that AWB is good enough, or an upgrade on what we have? He is proven in the Prem, and to be honest, we don't know how good he is going forward, but if Ole thinks the club's money is better spent on other positions then fine (I personally think RB is the most important at the moment). I take your point that we need to try these lads in matches, and that, realistically, is the only way to find out if they are ever going to be good enough, but, whatever I or you think, there is only one man who will really know if we need to purchase a new RB or not, and I will be happy in his decision. Nothing would please me more than all of those young lads mentioned make it into United's first team over the next 12 to 18 months.

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Spending 50m and upward for a one season wonder young fullback is insane. None of the two CL finalists have spent those kind of money for a fecking young fullback. I'd rather keep Young (rotating with Dalot) and add those 50+m pushing to get Sancho.
Couldn't you make the same argument for any player we are looking at buying? Sancho for example.

Fullbacks are a key position these days, not a position where you could de-prioritise and save the cash, like in the old days

flappyjay

£35 mill and waive the Zaha percentage clause.
Thats what I am hoping for. Palace know that at some point Zaha is going to leave and I am sure they would rather get the maximum cash from his sale

Garebo

Wan Bissaka, Declan Rice, Jadon Sancho and Milan Skriniar are my four dream dreamings for the summer. Hope they don't spent big bucks again on flops.

Kag

I like what his signing represents but he worries me in an attacking sense. He looks a little like a technically excellent centre half playing at full back, and that isn’t what we need.

We need two full backs that can actually cross a ball.

Mr.Plow

People insuring we continue with Young and Dalot and spend the money elsewhere :lol:

GarrinchaNZ

...I hate this time of year, especially this one! Would someone just sign him....please.

Fosu-Mens

Probably became a full back in the same way Valencia did. Quick, good dribbler, no end product. You can still be a very good full back without end product. As a winger though you're a busted flush if you can't score or cross.
IF we continue to focus our attack on the left, then he will have an ocean of space to strive in. It is not that he is inable to cross, only that it needs some work to learn how to cross with different techniques. Topspin escpecially would be beneficial if he crosses from deep.

Given our players coming through, and other options available, spending top money on him might not be worth it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I like what his signing represents but he worries me in an attacking sense. He looks a little like a technically excellent centre half playing at full back, and that isn’t what we need.

We need two full backs that can actually cross a ball.
I agree that we need full backs that can cross. However Young is statisically one of the best in the league in this regard (for right backs), behind only Trippier and Alexander Arnold for accurate crosses and key passes per game. There's an unrealistic expectation that there are 'Beckham like' right backs out there.

Jonno

This would be a crucial signing. If you had to score our XI out of 10 in each position, RB is alarmingly low. Young and Dalot just doesn’t cut it. Dalot looks like a solid young player but these days the top top clubs require 2 top players in each position. Dalot doesn’t seem quite there in terms of playing 50+ games at RB and as such AWB is ready-made and could replace Young. Dalot can slot in at RB, LB, RW as and when required and still get 30/40 games next season.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Not saying AWB is a bad player but is he really the answer that we need? I’ve thought about this lately and it doesn’t seem like he’d offer what United lack.

Sure he can tackle and defend and all that but United have had a dead right side for years. I just think he’s too much of a defensive fullback, he hardly overlaps and has subpar crossing ability into the box. United currently don’t have a RW so getting him will not really help us offensively hence with the overall team balance.

...oh, and I hate that he’s English so he’s being marked up to £50m+ from some reports. I think realistically he’s actually worth no more than £30m. He’s a sound RB and a bit of a destroyer defensively but I don’t see anything particularly special about him. Unless I’m just completely off the mark in which case I’d be open to replies !

Sylar

People insuring we continue with Young and Dalot and spend the money elsewhere :lol:
It's crazy , if he wants to come and we can get him we should.
We can't be stingy and need to get those available and the right type of players

AWB would improve us a lot long term and short term

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If he's too expensive, surely there are other right backs in the world of football?

Just move the feck on and get someone else. This position is a priority.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Not saying AWB is a bad player but is he really the answer that we need? I’ve thought about this lately and it doesn’t seem like he’d offer what United lack.

Sure he can tackle and defend and all that but United have had a dead right side for years. I just think he’s too much of a defensive fullback, he hardly overlaps and has subpar crossing ability into the box. United currently don’t have a RW so getting him will not really help us offensively hence with the overall team balance.

...oh, and I hate that he’s English so he’s being marked up to £50m+ from some reports. I think realistically he’s actually worth no more than £30m. He’s a sound RB and a bit of a destroyer defensively but I don’t see anything particularly special about him. Unless I’m just completely off the mark in which case I’d be open to replies !
We actually lack a good defensive full back, one that can stop attacks down our right side, that, along with a leader at CB should mean we ship less goals next season, as for AWB's attacking prowess, or not, has he really been tested in that area? as far as I can see, Roy likes him to hold that defensive position, whilst Van Anholt pushes forward on the left side, and why wouldn't you want possibly your best defender in defence. He does look to have some skills in his dribbling ability, but it all depends on what Ole wants in his team, and how he expects them to perform.

Jordan_mufc

I like this transfer a lot. For those complaining about his ability going forward, that is something we can work on in the future. For now we need to sure up a defence that shipped 50 odd goals last season

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You and I know what their performance threads are going to look like after we play stubborn defenses
He is actually good in contributing to the attack with his ability to drive at opposition fullbacks, attacking isn't only crossing, with a good RW, AWB will create a lot of space for them.
He can improve his crossing as well

settembrini

First and foremost United lack a right back who can defend. Young was a disaster at the end of the season for us and Dalot, while promising going forward, struggled to deal with opposition attackers and ended up playing more games as a winger so he wouldn't have to. Wan-Bissaka meanwhile was the most impressive full back in Europe from a defensive perspective.

His attacking is a weakness, particularly his passing/crossing but he's not as useless as some people suggest. His pace and dribbling ability are clear strengths and under a less defensive manager than Hodgson they could be potent weapons.

You are right that Wan-Bissaka alone will not address our lack of threat from the right hand side but that shouldn't be the expectation. We should be signing a top quality right winger as well, an attacking monster to compliment a defensive one.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I agree. I don’t really understand why we’re in for him when we bought Dalot just last year. I especially don’t get why we’re spending so much time on this deal when we have about 5 other players to buy. If we want cover then Meunier would represent a much better deal, at a better age and price, and would be much easier to get over the line. Instead we’re battling with Palace in a transfer saga we could do without for a player we don’t really need.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I personally don’t think he’s a better player than Fosu-Mensah. He’s had a better year, but under the right conditions, their strengths and weaknesses are almost exactly the same.

On that basis, I think £50m+ would be a waste on him. I’d prefer a more technically proficient right back with greater offensive quality.

SteveW

If he's not better than TFM the ask would be about 10 million not 50

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I personally don’t think he’s a better player than Fosu-Mensah. He’s had a better year, but under the right conditions, their strengths and weaknesses are almost exactly the same.

On that basis, I think £50m+ would be a waste on him. I’d prefer a more technically proficient right back with greater offensive quality.
Even though he dumped Fosu Mensah out of the Palace side... yeah sure

Allas8

We need to strengthen the team now. If you think that Dalot is good enough to slot straight into the RB position, then fine, but I, as yet, have not seen that he is ready. He would get games in the first team for sure, in both full back positions. Why would learning from a proven Prem full back do him no good? I don't get that thinking. Where did I mention that Laird and O'Connor were too young? They are both very inexperienced, but like I said, going on the pre season tour could be the making of one or both (and if any of those three look the part, then buying AWB would be pointless) as it could be for Chong, Gomes, Greenwood and Garner. You don't think that AWB is good enough, or an upgrade on what we have? He is proven in the Prem, and to be honest, we don't know how good he is going forward, but if Ole thinks the club's money is better spent on other positions then fine (I personally think RB is the most important at the moment). I take your point that we need to try these lads in matches, and that, realistically, is the only way to find out if they are ever going to be good enough, but, whatever I or you think, there is only one man who will really know if we need to purchase a new RB or not, and I will be happy in his decision. Nothing would please me more than all of those young lads mentioned make it into United's first team over the next 12 to 18 months.
Im not worried about Dalot, as teaching players how to defend properly is the easiest thing to develop for a player. Teaching a player how to attack is a lot harder, and usually has to been done at a early stage of their careers, as either you have the technical skills needed, or you don't. When it comes to defending, a lot of that comes from experience, you learn how to defend through regular game time. Its said Gary Neville did not learn how to defend properly until he turned 30, but then he turned into the best fullback in the league. Dalot has all the attributes needed, give him time, and he will develop into the fullback we want.

When I seen Crystal Palace play, AWB has been staying at his own half. I know thats how Crystal Palace plays, but if we pay £50m+ for AWB, and he don't know how to attack properly, he will be labeled as a gigantic flop. If AWB is just another CB turned FB, I would not expect him to develop the technical skills needed to attack for us. A example is Declan Rice, a CB turned DM. I would never expect Rice to develop the technical abilities to play DM for us, as he is just to old at this stage of his career. That does not mean that Rice can not do a great job as a DM for a mid-table team.

Look at Darmian, another great defensive fullback, given the freedom and opportunity to go forward and attack, look how that turned out. You need to have shown the technical attributes needed at a young age, if we are going to have something to build on.

Also if Dalot needs a experienced Premier League proven fullback to look up to there is always Shaw. Beside that I agree with what is being said. Having 3 fullbacks in the squad when pre-season starts is needed, and hopefully one of the academy kids can take Youngs place, bit of a gamble, but worth taking if you ask me.

LInkash

Wan Bissaka started out as a winger so I think it's just the way he being used at Crystal Palace that is making him look limited attacking wise.

Nick7

Wan Bissaka was a winger before he made his debut in the Palace first team.

tonnas

our problem was conceding 50+ goals, having a very good defensive fb will help a lot also his attacking contribution is being underrated very much in here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Ridiculous to say he’s not better than Fosu-Mensah.

cyberman

He and FM are both black but that's the only thing they have in common.

dove

He is better than TFM but the bar is very low. TFM is just another massively overhyped player that will end up in Championship at best. I definitely don't think AWB is worth £50m+ and I would be very disappointed if we end up signing him for that amount.

Josep Dowling

I know it’s actually mental. Young as first option is simply terrible. Dalot has already shown he needs to develop defensively.

Can’t see the issue of having two very good youngsters fighting for one spots. Makes the position competitive and the one that isn’t good enough can be sold for decent money.

Allas8

Wan Bissaka was a winger before he made his debut in the Palace first team.
If Wan Bissaka started playing LW or CB next season for Crystal Palace, which one would he look comfortable in?

Status
Not open for further replies.