Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Seriously? We shouldn't have let go of him. He's looked like the proper defender he is at Newport since he's been deployed on the right, compared to the left side of defence he used to play in the academy. He could have solved our right back woe.
Evidently not

Art Vandelay

If being rated the best defender amongst all eligible PL RBs is unproven I will have to agree to disagree.
It is unproven when he's only had one season. Alonso was in the team of the season last year and is nowhere near it this year. It's not a statement signing and it's taking a huge risk on a kid when we already have one kid and could take a similar risk on a possibly cheaper alternative in Aarons. AWB could be a one season wonder and spending £50m+ on him isn't going to prove anything to Pogba or De Gea.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don’t think Zaha would go for that, the clause is what’s setting his price so high, if we agreed to remove the clause then he’d probably go for a lower fee.
Zaha wouldn't get a say in it as it would be in the contract between Utd and Palace, not Palace and him. Wouldn't matter to Zaha himself anyway. If anything a lower fee would be great for him as he might actually get the move he wants, instead of being priced out of a move which is what I expect to happen.

jesperjaap

It is unproven when he's only had one season. Alonso was in the team of the season last year and is nowhere near it this year. It's not a statement signing and it's taking a huge risk on a kid when we already have one kid and could take a similar risk on a possibly cheaper alternative in Aarons. AWB could be a one season wonder and spending £50m+ on him isn't going to prove anything to Pogba or De Gea.
1.5 seasons he has been excellent and wtf do we have to prove to Pogba and DeGea? One hasnt justified the fee we paid for him whatsoever and the other has refused the best contract offered to a gk, been fantastic for several years of course.....but one of the reasons we may struggle to sign top players this summer is lack of cl football.......we lost a lot of important points at the end of the season due to his mistakes, lets not forget that.
1.5 seasons is about the same time Sancho has been playing in Germany, would you count that as a statement signings as AWB is just a big a English talent in his own position and has arguably been the best full back last year in the premiership.
For me he is one of the most important signings we can make this window and in a couple of years time if we do I think a lot of people will be very glad we signed him

romufc

1.5 seasons he has been excellent and wtf do we have to prove to Pogba and DeGea? One hasnt justified the fee we paid for him whatsoever and the other has refused the best contract offered to a gk, been fantastic for several years of course.....but one of the reasons we may struggle to sign top players this summer is lack of cl football.......we lost a lot of important points at the end of the season due to his mistakes, lets not forget that.
1.5 seasons is about the same time Sancho has been playing in Germany, would you count that as a statement signings as AWB is just a big a English talent in his own position and has arguably been the best full back last year in the premiership.
For me he is one of the most important signings we can make this window and in a couple of years time if we do I think a lot of people will be very glad we signed him

Totally agree.. pay up to £55m for him. He is 21 and was palace’s player of the year. He will improve and improve the United team, the rb has been an issue for too long. People will realise what a big difference good full backs make if we get him.

Art Vandelay

I was replying to someone that said we need to sign AWB over Aarons as it will be a statement to De Gea and Pogba, hence why I brought it up. I see no need to make statements to either, but I don't believe this would be such a statement anyway. No, I don't think Sancho would be such a statement either other than we're fecking mental paying £100m for a player after one good season. No one else seems to be in a rush to spend those sums on either player.

They might both turn out to be great players, but both are massive risks at the prices quoted.

In Rainbows

Seriously? We shouldn't have let go of him. He's looked like the proper defender he is at Newport since he's been deployed on the right, compared to the left side of defence he used to play in the academy. He could have solved our right back woe.
Newport are in League Two. If that's what has made you question us... well...

Really?
I think he would
Norwich aren't as financially stable as Crystal Palace are as CP have been in the PL for several seasons.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Really?

Norwich aren't as financially stable as Crystal Palace are as CP have been in the PL for several seasons.
I think we could sign Aarons for £30m tops. I could be wrong of course but I don't see how a player with zero PL experience would cost anywhere close to Wan Bissaka, who is at a established premier league club.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Really?

Yeah but, they are about to be in the PL which means the likes of Aarons and Godfrey's value could double by this time next year. And even if they struggle they might still get a big fee for them like how Fulham would still get a lot for Sessegnon.

In Rainbows

Yeah but, they are about to be in the PL which means the likes of Aarons and Godfrey's value could double by this time next year. And even if they struggle they might still get a big fee for them like how Fulham would still get a lot for Sessegnon.
Fulham aren't getting more for Sessegnon though.

And it's true that their value can double, but it's also true that they end up with worse leverage next year if they fail to stay up. And if Aarons, has a good season will he not just put himself there with AWB? Which means that as of now, it's clear he shouldn't cost more than AWB.

dasty

All I’m saying, and the numbers back it up is he will have more tackles, interceptions, and clearances than anyone else in that list because palace defend more.
I dare you to find a single full back in the league that puts up similar numbers with similar success rate. Heck, go over the whole Europe if you want.

Fer

Atal would be cheaper, and I think he is slightly better than Wan Bissaka. I like AWB but we could end up spending 150m for him and Maguire, when we can get Alderweireld and Meunier for 50, and use the 100m to sign a top player like Sancho.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Atal would be cheaper, and I think he is slightly better than Wan Bissaka. I like AWB but we could end up spending 150m for him and Maguire, when we can get Alderweireld and Meunier for 50, and use the 100m to sign a top player like Sancho.
The club will not sign Sancho this summer regardless.

Kaglish10

Really?

Poole was fantastic against Mancity. He was arguably Newport's best player against a full strength Man City side and was part of the defence that kept city out in the first half until their goalkeeper dropped two clangers in the second half.

He's been fantastic as a RCB or right back. Moreover, he's got a perfect cross whipping on him and also a good ball playing defender.

Bestietom

Negotiating taking a long time. But then it's Woodward??. This is a player who will be best in the country in a short time. Can't see the reason he hasn't been signed yet. We have the money and we are not been ripped off. He will be worth a fortune in a couple of years.

dev1l

The Sun linked us with Dutch Rb Denzel Dumfries.. I assume as an alter to AWB.

In Rainbows

Poole was fantastic against Mancity. He was arguably Newport's best player against a full strength Man City side and was part of the defence that kept city out in the first half until their goalkeeper dropped two clangers in the second half.

He's been fantastic as a RCB or right back. Moreover, he's got a perfect cross whipping on him and also a good ball playing defender.
That's a 1 game sample that's relevant as the other matches are too low a level to properly judge him by. You need stronger evidence to really paint United in a bad light for that particular case.

Kaglish10

That's a 1 game sample that's relevant as the other matches are too low a level to properly judge him by. You need stronger evidence to really paint United in a bad light for that particular case.
It was against a full strength City side and he was his team's best defender hence it's something. Moreover, he was playing as a central defender. It wouldn't be the worst thing to have him play as a fullback. He's also been one Newport's defenders (either as a fullback or central defender) during their championship (league one) play off. I don't see why he won't play well as a fullback, which is easier than the central back role.

Verminator

It was against a full strength City side and he was his team's best defender hence it's something. Moreover, he was playing as a central defender. It wouldn't be the worst thing to have him play as a fullback. He's also been one Newport's defenders (either as a fullback or central defender) during their championship (league one) play off. I don't see why he won't play well as a fullback, which is easier than the central back role.
We need a first team RB like AWB.
You are touting a lower league player who once had a decent half, against City, as a CB?

This is first team recruitment business, not taking a punt.

Kaglish10

We need a first team RB like AWB.
You are touting a lower league player who once had a decent half, against City, as a CB?

This is first team recruitment business, not taking a punt.
Bissaka was sent back from loan at one point hence you can't use this argument. The point is Poole was his team's best defender against a full strength Man City side. He should have been given a chance at least.

Verminator

Bissaka was sent back from loan at one point hence you can't use this argument. The point is Poole was his team's best defender against a full strength Man City side. He should have been given a chance at least.
And my point is, a full season as the best RB trumps 45 minutes against one team, in a different position.
Maybe you should beat Poole's drum, but just not in relation to signing Wan Bissaka.

Kaglish10

And my point is, a full season as the best RB trumps 45 minutes against one team, in a different position.
Maybe you should beat Poole's drum, but just not in relation to signing Wan Bissaka.
It was actually 90 mins. The point is until you have tried out a youngster, you can't know if he can make the step up. If crystal palace didn't do same with Bissaka, he wouldn't be what he's today.

Verminator

It was actually 90 mins. The point is until you have tried out a youngster, you can't know if he can make the step up. If crystal palace didn't do same with Bissaka, he wouldn't be what he's today.
Agreed, but they didn't just go in with no other options. Ashley Young is not an option for me.
Our other RB, Dalot, has done nothing to convince me that he is worthy of a place either.

Gandalf

That is like saying that instead of buying a Ferrari we can buy a Kia and use the money we saved to buy rims and a go faster stripe.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You can't just give any old youth player a go though, Poole spent his entire time with us at CB. Even if we're talking about him as a RB he's never shown anything close to what O'Connor or Laird has as footballers.

Kaglish10

You can't just give any old youth player a go though, Poole spent his entire time with us at CB. Even if we're talking about him as a RB he's never shown anything close to what O'Connor or Laird has as footballers.
Well, Poole was deployed as a LCB all through. I could recall Tuanzebe looking atrocious as a LCB as a youth player and since then, he was never deployed in that role.

One fact is Poole has been fantastic for the Newport's team on the right side, either as a fullback or as a RCB. He was arguably his team's best defender against Man City. Neither O'Connor nor Laird has shown anything on that level.

chb23

That is like saying that instead of buying a Ferrari we can buy a Kia and use the money we saved to buy rims and a go faster stripe.
Not really. It's more akin to buying a Kia for your weekday going to work car and being able to afford a Ferrari for your weekend car, instead of Mazdas across the board

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Feels like this will get done, just hope he continues to improve and doesn't have issues adjusting to the pressure of playing for us.

Also feel like this could woudl fit in with the Ashley Young renewal - for all he was absolutely garbage this season, I could see him being useful as a RB sub late if we're chasing a goal. He used to have a fantastic delivery, and in that case wouldn't have to defend.

Drainy

I really like the signing if we get it over the line.

I think as we are moving to system with a higher press from the forwards and the box to box midfielders we need to make sure that we have defensive players who are really strong in the 1 to 1s to avoid the opposition breaking our lines. He seems really strong in that sense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This post twists my mind, can’t make head nor tail of it.
Palace are asking for a very high fee for Zaha, due to the sell on clause United inserted when selling him to Palace. Which has been reported as being 20%. If we removed the clause, then Palace would possibly lower their very high asking price for Zaha.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Palace are asking for a very high fee for Zaha, due to the sell on clause United inserted when selling him to Palace. Which has been reported as being 20%. If we removed the clause, then Palace would possibly lower their very high asking price for Zaha.
It’s all swings and roundabouts, whether we are willing to put an additional £10-15m on the price or remove the sell on clause instead, it all amounts to a similar total sum.

In reality I doubt the sell on clause is even in the conversation, it’s just a typical talking point that journalists pick up and run with.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Negotiating taking a long time. But then it's Woodward??. This is a player who will be best in the country in a short time. Can't see the reason he hasn't been signed yet. We have the money and we are not been ripped off. He will be worth a fortune in a couple of years.
A fortune?
Rather than the mere 50m he'll cost now?

chb23

I think you made my point for me. Lets buy a couple of shite players so we can get a good one is not a strategy for success.
Just depends what people want

Difference between buying average, average, great vs good, good, good etc

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I wish we would postpone the inevitable and sign this lad. We bid 45 million for him a week and a half ago that was immediately rejected. Since then we have pushed out a bunch rumours about our interest in other right backs that is just an obvious cheap negotiation tactic. We all know that we're going to end up signing him in three weeks for 55-60 million so why not just postpone the inevitable and sign him now. Give the manager the best chance of succeeding by building his squad ASAP and get this obvious signing over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.