Abdoulaye Doucoure

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Great player, would be a very good buy for Tottenham for when Demebele isn't playing. I wouldn't mind him either, I don't see us going for him though.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He has been excellent this season for sure. Would reserve judgement about whether he can keep it going.

arthurka

Carrick also rings a bell
I don´t regard Carrick in the same bracket as Doucoure, one is a West Ham player who was sold to Spurs for a considerable amount (3.5m in 2004) and a England international at the time. The other came from France (after being loaned out to Granada for one season) after loosing his place in the Rennes side and was sold in 2016 for 5.4m which by today's standard is the equivalent to a Lada Niva and a Snickers bar.

But good players are good players and with Fellaini leaving and Carrick retiring who knows?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What was Doucoure like in France?
He was alright for Rennes. A solid and a very reliable young player who got called for the French youth teams. I'm happy he didn't get lost at Watford as have many young french players when they go to a foreign club.

ROFLUTION

Good shout.
This prediction (from August 7th 2017) is currently looking like a smart one. Doucoure looks immense, at least he should get the move and I hope it will be us.

I remember watching him in a couple of games last season, and he had everything going - technique, tackles and decisions. He's just built on that this season - He'd be a solid player for Liverpool, Arsenal or us.

Roeindo

Ive always been a fan of him..and as ive said in other thread that who should we buy to frèe Pogba, i recommended him.

Happy he got the recognition and thread today.

He is tried and tested in PL and if one said that he can not make big team leap, we should remember every best player comes from small club and football is a team play.

Even Dimaria which comes from RM failed at Utd, so bringing analogy of Scheinerderlin is seem OOT to me.

This type of mindset makes us let player that we need like Dele Ali / Mane/ Kante goes to another club

AgentP

Pochettino was reportedly scouting Doucoure during the Watford-Chelsea game. I think Spurs will make a move for him in the summer. They are really good at spotting players in mid-table clubs who are ready to step up. Alderweireld, Alli and Dembele are all such cheap buys who turned out to be excellent. We should not let Spurs sign him too. I think he'll be a perfect fit alongside Pogba and Matic in a midfield three. He checks all boxes for what Jose expects from a midfielder as well. Tall(6 feet I think), strong, can tackle, has a good engine and can score goals.

sincher

Pochettino was reportedly scouting Doucoure during the Watford-Chelsea game. I think Spurs will make a move for him in the summer. They are really good at spotting players in mid-table clubs who are ready to step up. Alderweireld, Alli and Dembele are all such cheap buys who turned out to be excellent. We should not let Spurs sign him too. I think he'll be a perfect fit alongside Pogba and Matic in a midfield three. He checks all boxes for what Jose expects from a midfielder as well. Tall(6 feet I think), strong, can tackle, has a good engine and can score goals.
Spurs wanted Schneiderlin too...

AgentP

Spurs wanted Schneiderlin too...
They have had more hits than flops. Even Wanyama was a solid buy for 8m. Schneiderlin is one player that everyone got wrong. Spurs, Arsenal and United were in for him if I remember correctly.

sincher

They have had more hits than flops. Even Wanyama was a solid buy for 8m. Schneiderlin is one player that everyone got wrong. Spurs, Arsenal and United were in for him if I remember correctly.
Fair point.

But also a fair point that there have been many players, and in particular I would say many central midfielders, who have put together outstanding seasons for teams lower in the PL but who have not managed to reproduce that form consistently over a longer period nor step up to a bigger team. I can think of so many players our fans would have been keen for us to sign on this same basis over the years, from Nolan to Scott Parker to Barton to Ireland to Schneiderlin and there are others. I would even put Wanyama and Dembele in that bracket because although they have done well and been good signings for Spurs I am not sure I feel like we missed out on a world class player by not signing them, and that is what we should be aspiring to... especially when we have Herrera and Fellaini already who are not exactly terrible. So to me the question about Doucoure is whether he is really going to be a top class player, or just a good one.

AgentP

Fair point.

But also a fair point that there have been many players, and in particular I would say many central midfielders, who have put together outstanding seasons for teams lower in the PL but who have not managed to reproduce that form consistently over a longer period nor step up to a bigger team. I can think of so many players our fans would have been keen for us to sign on this same basis over the years, from Nolan to Scott Parker to Barton to Ireland to Schneiderlin and there are others. I would even put Wanyama and Dembele in that bracket because although they have done well and been good signings for Spurs I am not sure I feel like we missed out on a world class player by not signing them, and that is what we should be aspiring to... especially when we have Herrera and Fellaini already who are not exactly terrible. So to me the question about Doucoure is whether he is really going to be a top class player, or just a good one.
That's well put. Agree with what you are saying. I just think he'll be more of a Mane than a Schneiderlin. But if we can get a readymade superstar instead, then I'm all for it. We have enough decent players.

Rick88

Both Richarlison and Doucoure are having a fantastic season. Watford will have a fight to keep both this summer. Any team which misses out on top 4 this season might end up going for one of the two (depending on where they need to strengthen).

Alabaster Codify7

If I had to name one mid-table player at an unfancied team that would make a stellar low-keyish signing for a big club (United included) this summer, Doucoure is my guy.

In fact, I'd bloody love him at OT in place of Fellaini. He might not offer the aerial threat, but everything else Fellaini does he can do with the added bonus of being a great ball-carrier and a goal threat with his feet.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Linked with him today and already discussed at length already in the Tweets thread but yay or nay? He'd been a good squad option, not sure he's good enough to start though

ROFLUTION

Linked with him today and already discussed at length already in the Tweets thread but yay or nay? He'd been a good squad option, not sure he's good enough to start though
He would need to play regularly to unlock his big potential, but he can both tackle and dribble - not a bad option for both helping Pogba and covering for Matic.

Would really like him as a backup option. Been far and away Watford's best player consistently this season and a lot more talented on the ball than people give him credit for (maybe because his body type isn't exactly the most graceful). Also a major goal threat from range and with his late runs into the box. Honestly don't know how much Watford would want for him in this market though. I'm guessing no less than 30 mil

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Scored against us this season didn't he? He has looked good/great in the few matches i've seen from Watford. I think we need numbers and he ticks a lot of boxes imo. Worth a punt

Wayne's World

He's a midfielder so any midfielder we are linked with is a big YES from me.

We desperately need two so I wouldn't mind him and a big signing in midfield too like Jorginho or Savic

L1nk

If we go into the season with him and McTominay as replacements for Carrick and Fellaini we'd be completely stupid

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Reminds me of Mo Diame, who is also good enough to play for a much better team in my opinion. I wouldn’t have minded him a few years back.

James Peril

Both Richarlison and Doucoure are having a fantastic season. Watford will have a fight to keep both this summer. Any team which misses out on top 4 this season might end up going for one of the two (depending on where they need to strengthen).
Richarlison came out of nowhere and delivered at the beginning of the season, but the guy hasn't scored in his last 17 games in the league. He hasn't contributed with assists in his last 8 games either. Watford are crap of course, but you have to deliver regardless.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Yes, as long as he isn't the only cm we sign. Basically him and Jorginho would be great.
Matic
Pogba
Jorginho
Herrera
McT
Doucoure
Good bunch IMO especially if Ander remembers how to play football.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Doucoure has been exceptional this season, and will definitely have earned himself a big move over the summer.
He would surely tick a lot of the boxes for a 'Jose type player' and really does fit into the vacancy that we have on the right side of a midfield 3, as he is a good strong all rounder.

Sometimes we can all get a bit too excited when looking at players in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, but sometimes the answer is right under your nose, at a less glamorous club.

Okey

I've been a big fan of Doucure this season. One of the best box to box in the league so far. Been using him as a yardstick for how much more effective Pogba could be for us. He definitely needs a step up. Whether he'll flourish or wilt like Schneiderlin, sadly there's no way to predict unless you try. I know I'll have no complaints if he rucks up at OT. Especially as he won't cost a king's ransom and should be hungry to prove himself. Could be another Wanyama. One big club signs him and the others regret not doing so...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We once signed Keane from relegated Forrest and he became a club legend. Keep that in mind when you dont want signings from the likes of Watford
People point out other failures from smaller clubs as if that's any indication - every player and situation is different.

The fact Schniederlin failed has no indication on what Doucoure will achieve.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
People point out other failures from smaller clubs as if that's any indication - every player and situation is different.

Exactly. Id have zero issues signing such a player to replace Fellaini. He wont cost a kings ransom is used to the EPL, would be under zero pressure beyond him own desire to prove himself, we could rotate him comfortably with the likes if McTomminay and Pereira and above all we could be unearthing a real gem if it pans out.

Plus he'd leave us with enough money to add another world class midfield talent to Pogba and Matic

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I like him, been impressed whenever I've watched him.

I agree, tbh it doesn't matter where you buy players from as long as they have the mentality and ability i don't see what the issue is. Look at where Mahrez and Kante were before they went to Leicester, and Kante has won the PL twice.

luke511

A great option to alternate with Matic. I'd love to see a highlight reel of all his goals from this season, every one I've seen from him has been a beauty.

Prodigy24

They were just talking about him on Swedish TV and showed a statistic from this season. He's leading his team in pretty much everything this season. Everything from goals scored, to distance covered to interceptions. Very impressive!

PoTMS

He's the type of player that a lot of our fans would turn their nose up to and who would go to Spurs/Liverpool and be a roaring success, leaving everyone to wonder why we weren't in for him.

Litch

He's the type of player that a lot of our fans would turn their nose up to and who would go to Spurs/Liverpool and be a roaring success, leaving everyone to wonder why we weren't in for him.
Absolutely spot on. Like him a lot and the perfect CM as a bit of everything.....

Judas

Open to offers
This is exactly what will happen, we've seen it so many times before.

Hitchez

Or he could be thr kind of player everyone claims is the second coming and then end up being booed by Everton fans for being shit. Could go either way:smirk:

He does seem a decent player mind but not sure how he'd fit in the team. Herrera is a better player and he can't get in the team. I don't see him as a must buy at all.