Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Video above says your wrong - you seem him beating players and making enough room to get a shot in repeatedly, you see it most time he plays.
That dive against arsenal in the fa cup for instance. He took it after beating 1 or 2 players.
Ok he doesn't leave defenders for dead like di maria (or not all of them) but he still goes past them.
Crossing is always going to be a part of football. Not having your cb's playing 40 yard passes to the big guy over and over is one thing. Not crossing is another thing entirely.

The thing with playing a 10 like januzaj or mata is it leaves less room for your wingers to cut inside, or for your striker to drop back into.
Its not a role im fond of tbh. I think it drags your wingers back down the pitch and forces them to do a fair bit of defending.
Regardless hes probably our 4th or 5th best #10 so its kind of irrelevant.

I dont think the 3-5-2 is that relevant either or likely to make a return.
For me januzaj doesnt dribble at the defender when cutting in. He is a fantastic dribbler who dribbles in to space. Now consider memphis & robben, both attack the defender at an angle to open up space for the rest of the team. Januzaj doesn't make space for the rest of the team; infact neither does Di maria since you did mention him. Thats why Mata was used at RW rather than Di maria because matas mindset moves him centrally; creating space for midfielders and fullbacks.

Just on the video, there is pleanty of times where you can see how successful he potentially could be centrally and reminds me of Kaka the way he is more involved with the game and team movements throught the centre.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Well you'd think if we had plans to turn him into a striker he would have played games for the under 21s as a striker but he didnt he played on the wings
Thats true but considering all reports on him moving in centrally came on april 30th and that januzaj is training with the first team squad and only utilised as such for the reserves gives some sort of leeway.

Furthermore that would mean dropping Wilson and completely undermining RVP, Falcao and our first team strikers.

Rezyuz

Number 10 is a key position and we have various players who offer something different, and better, than Januzaj does right now.

He'll learn plenty from wider positions before he earns his starts centrally.
Why do we want him to learn a position which he will not play at? Its no use to create another jack of all trades. Let him master the right position for him. If thats not possible at Man Utd at the time then loan him out.

Or start giving him minutes there when we are up and safe.

Sam

I don't see Januzaj as a striker at all, but I don't really see him as a winger either.

He'll be a #10 long term imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah he's clearly a number 10 whether playing right in the middle or a playmaker out wide who cuts inside. He's neither an out and out winger like he's sometimes played and instructed to play, nor a striker.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Yeah he's clearly a number 10 whether playing right in the middle or a playmaker out wide who cuts inside. He's neither an out and out winger like he's sometimes played and instructed to play, nor a striker.
We dont play with a number 10, our number ten is the striker who brings in the wide forwards in to play.

amolbhatia50k

We dont play with a number 10, our number ten is the striker who brings in the wide forwards in to play.
Rooney is a striker. Him wearing the number 10 shirt doesn't have any meaning when he plays there.

We have enough positions from which one can perform the duties of a number 10 to a fair extent - that of Mata, Fellaini, from last season, in particular.

jb8521

Thats true but considering all reports on him moving in centrally came on april 30th and that januzaj is training with the first team squad and only utilised as such for the reserves gives some sort of leeway.

Furthermore that would mean dropping Wilson and completely undermining RVP, Falcao and our first team strikers.
The initial reports were based on a reporters own opinions not anything from the club and were backed up by statements that Moyes made about how he could play there. Even in games for the u21s where neither Wilson or Fletcher were on the pitch and we had no striker on the pitch he still wasn't used as a striker. Hes missing a lot of the attributes Van Gaal looks for in a striker so it would be pretty strange if he does try and turn him into one

Mister Ed

I think in this system we currently play he can only play on the wing which will mean he'll struggle to get game time with Di Maria, Depay, Young and Mata all ahead in the pecking order.

Either we need to start playing with a Real nr 10 in which cases he'll be able to get games or he needs a loan.

pacifictheme

I think in this system we currently play he can only play on the wing which will mean he'll struggle to get game time with Di Maria, Depay, Young and Mata all ahead in the pecking order.

Either we need to start playing with a Real nr 10 in which cases he'll be able to get games or he needs a loan.
I'd loan him. See if he can start producing consistently.

JohnnyLaw

He can also play as the furthest in the midfield three as he did against Hull in our last game this past season. I think it suits him well.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The only reason I'd loan him out would be to see him get a chance playing in the hole rather than a winger. Just don't think the wings are for Adnan. Somewhere in the attacking mid/false nine (all of that central attacking region) is where he belongs.

Bwuk

Think this is a massive season if he is to stay here long term. Has to breakthrough further.

Could see him being sold if he has another season like this one.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He might improve upon this season and I still do rate him. But I dont think he's a LVG player. He needs to play in a team which play with a lot of space for the attackers and where he will get the freedom to play his play. For now he's too wasteful to play the possession based LVG play, and because teams sit back vs us, he cant really get the space to roam. So I'm quite worried for him. With the likes of Depay, Mata, ADM, Young ahead of him, his playing time is limited. He should go for a loan. 2 non-existent seasons and even our highest rated talent could be sold.

JohnnyLaw

He might improve upon this season and I still do rate him. But I dont think he's a LVG player. He needs to play in a team which play with a lot of space for the attackers and where he will get the freedom to play his play. For now he's too wasteful to play the possession based LVG play, and because teams sit back vs us, he cant really get the space to roam. So I'm quite worried for him. With the likes of Depay, Mata, ADM, Young ahead of him, his playing time is limited. He should go for a loan. 2 non-existent seasons and even our highest rated talent could be sold.
I don't Think that he's wasteful by nature. Last season he was often thrown in at the most dire of situations where we had to make things happen. In games where he started or played for larger parts of the game he did much better. I Think he's one of the few players who can create space for himself and for his teammates when we face a sitting defence. Wether it being beating a opponent to upset the other teams defensive formation or by finding a clever through pass. I Think he will be alot better for us in those kind of games than for example Mata and Young who more often plays it too safely and predictably. I'd play him in most games against the smaller teams and let the likes of Mata and Young maybe take his place in the bigger games where you to play with more discipline and where space opens up naturally as the opponent also seeks to attack.

Sammyjunn

I don't Think that he's wasteful by nature. Last season he was often thrown in at the most dire of situations where we had to make things happen. In games where he started or played for larger parts of the game he did much better. I Think he's one of the few players who can create space for himself and for his teammates when we face a sitting defence. Wether it being beating a opponent to upset the other teams defensive formation or by finding a clever through pass. I Think he will be alot better for us in those kind of games than for example Mata and Young who more often plays it too safely and predictably. I'd play him in most games against the smaller teams and let the likes of Mata and Young maybe take his place in the bigger games where you to play with more discipline and where space opens up naturally as the opponent also seeks to attack.
Fair enough, but I doubt those dire situations will completely fade away next season. And I think he will get even less starts.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I hate this "too wasteful" tag at the best of times, but in Januzaj's case it's just ridiculous. Yes, he is wasteful - but "too wasteful"..? From my memory, the only times he played last year was when we were creating absolutely feck all and he was brought on to try and make a difference. I'm terrible with remembering specific performances in specific games but I remember Januzaj's performance against West Brom away where we were dreadful and he was the only one creating chances. I think in the end we drew thanks to a good goal from Blind, but aside from that nobody looked like doing anything - other than Adnan.

How many times did we complain about dominating possession yet we still lacked an incisive edge? How many times did we say that Mata was fantastic when we're on top, but when the going gets tough he fades away?

Players like him and Di Maria are key to attacks. Yes they're not as "safe" as Young or Mata but you need these kind of players to offer variance and keep defenders alert. I don't think he'll get that many chances this season with Depay arriving, and I do think he should be loaned out but I don't think holding a desire to create chances even when the team aren't performing is something that should be used against him.

Sammyjunn

I hate this "too wasteful" tag at the best of times, but in Januzaj's case it's just ridiculous. Yes, he is wasteful - but "too wasteful"..? From my memory, the only times he played last year was when we were creating absolutely feck all and he was brought on to try and make a difference. I'm terrible with remembering specific performances in specific games but I remember Januzaj's performance against West Brom away where we were dreadful and he was the only one creating chances. I think in the end we drew thanks to a good goal from Blind, but aside from that nobody looked like doing anything - other than Adnan.

How many times did we complain about dominating possession yet we still lacked an incisive edge? How many times did we say that Mata was fantastic when we're on top, but when the going gets tough he fades away?

Players like him and Di Maria are key to attacks. Yes they're not as "safe" as Young or Mata but you need these kind of players to offer variance and keep defenders alert. I don't think he'll get that many chances this season with Depay arriving, and I do think he should be loaned out but I don't think holding a desire to create chances even when the team aren't performing is something that should be used against him.
It isnt that I have that against him, I doubt you could be arsed but I have defended him for that in this thread numerous times. But LVG has that against him, just look ADM who didnt get a look in once he started to lose the ball very often.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
It isnt that I have that against him, I doubt you could be arsed but I have defended him for that in this thread numerous times. But LVG has that against him, just look ADM who didnt get a look in once he started to lose the ball very often.
Not having a go at you specifically, I just find that "too wasteful" tag frustrating. And you're right, it might be too much for LVG but I'd much rather players expressing themselves and taking chances rather than strangling games with aimless possession (not that I think that's LVG's plan either)

Sammyjunn

Not having a go at you specifically, I just find that "too wasteful" tag frustrating. And you're right, it might be too much for LVG but I'd much rather players expressing themselves and taking chances rather than strangling games with aimless possession (not that I think that's LVG's plan either)
Well I actually think having possession is his 2nd target for every match (after obviously winning the match). His press conference after Chelsea away confirmed that, we didnt create that much bar Falcao's chance but he thought it was our best game of the season. LvG wants possession and he wants to keep possession until the opponent cant really defend that tight anymore so that they get holes and openings in their set up. This is his aim I think, and that is something that's done collectively. I dont think he has eye for the individual that much, unless you are a top top player, he prefers you to play according to his philosophy.

RooneyLegend

We need to stop mucking about and utilize him in the best way to get the most out of him. We're going to regret this if we stick at it, talents like him tend to bite the club that misused him in the ass when they move on. He's a really big talent, as big as we've produced in recent years and I include Pogba in that. Play him as the furthest forward midfielder in a midfield 3 and we'll be on to something. Try turning him into giggs or some van persie like striker then we're barking up the wrong tree. Players like him save the club fortunes. We simply can't afford to make mistakes like this.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
The only player van gaal allows to play in to space is the middle man. Since guardiolas introduction of a false 9, this has made the need for a number 10 all the more worthless.

Everybody else including the wide players are instructed as such to bring other players in to the game. Thats why januzaj cant play on the wide for me because he very rarely takes a player on diagonally the way memphis or robben does.

Devil may care

The only player van gaal allows to play in to space is the middle man. Since guardiolas introduction of a false 9, this has made the need for a number 10 all the more worthless.

Everybody else including the wide players are instructed as such to bring other players in to the game. Thats why januzaj cant play on the wide for me because he very rarely takes a player on diagonally the way memphis or robben does.
Actually LvG doesn't like Guardiola's false 9 stuff, when he looked at the Barca team in one of his presentations he said that the line-up was perfect for him bar Messi as he preferred a proper #9. Taking that into account Januzaj would operate in the Iniesta role with Herrera and Schneiderlin/Carrick making up the midfield 3 with him, and Memphis-Rooney-Di Maria as the front 3.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Actually LvG doesn't like Guardiola's false 9 stuff, when he looked at the Barca team in one of his presentations he said that the line-up was perfect for him bar Messi as he preferred a proper #9. Taking that into account Januzaj would operate in the Iniesta role with Herrera and Schneiderlin/Carrick making up the midfield 3 with him, and Memphis-Rooney-Di Maria as the front 3.
Though I doubt he was the front runner in the false 9 position; he would be a fool to not see that it was an alteration on his very own style of play.

Just this season he talked about mata and him being deployed as a false winger; to me that shows that through the stubborness of his ways, he is still willing to adapt.

I mean historically the biggest difference between someone like van gaal & cryuff was their ability or lack off to adapt total football as a practised theory.

Afterall, these false positions does not have to be important to the team rather than importance to the player. Messi on the shoulder of 6ft defenders would not work aswell as for when he creates space for himself from tracking back. Likewise, only when januzaj is deployed will he ever have to play that position until he gets good enough to make that position his own.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We need to stop mucking about and utilize him in the best way to get the most out of him. We're going to regret this if we stick at it, talents like him tend to bite the club that misused him in the ass when they move on. He's a really big talent, as big as we've produced in recent years and I include Pogba in that. Play him as the furthest forward midfielder in a midfield 3 and we'll be on to something. Try turning him into giggs or some van persie like striker then we're barking up the wrong tree. Players like him save the club fortunes. We simply can't afford to make mistakes like this.
Except that he hasn't really shown an aptitude for improvement from the short run of games when he played very well under Moyes. Unless Van Gaal is planning on using him more this year, which is unlikely given that we have Di Maria and Depay, he really does need to go on a loan somewhere.

Devil may care

Though I doubt he was the front runner in the false 9 position; he would be a fool to not see that it was an alteration on his very own style of play.

Just this season he talked about mata and him being deployed as a false winger; to me that shows that through the stubborness of his ways, he is still willing to adapt.

I mean historically the biggest difference between someone like van gaal & cryuff was their ability or lack off to adapt total football as a practised theory.

Afterall, these false positions does not have to be important to the team rather than importance to the player. Messi on the shoulder of 6ft defenders would not work aswell as for when he creates space for himself from tracking back. Likewise, only when januzaj is deployed will he ever have to play that position until he gets good enough to make that position his own.
LvG has been fairly rigid in his views regarding the #9 and the role of the position within how he likes the team to play. Nothing we have seen from Januzaj suggests he'd even consider him for a striker role in his system, he has not shown any goal threat or great finishing instincts for starters, and LvG still requires that from a #9.

He accepted Mata's role last season as he didn't really have the players he needed for his preferred way of playing. Had Di Maria not fallen apart so completely I imagine he'd have been first choice on the right.

LvG only has two years left on his contract and I'd be very surprised if he has any plans to try and mess about with an unknown quantity like Januzaj in a role he's never played, he simply doesn't have the luxury of time to test this out. I think Januzaj played pretty well on the left of the diamond when he got the chance last season, if LvG gives him some games as an AM in the midfield 3 I think that would be his best chance of progressing this coming season.

darioterios

For me januzaj doesnt dribble at the defender when cutting in. He is a fantastic dribbler who dribbles in to space. Now consider memphis & robben, both attack the defender at an angle to open up space for the rest of the team. Januzaj doesn't make space for the rest of the team; infact neither does Di maria since you did mention him
if he's good enough a dribbler, space will me made for his teammates by attracting the defenders to him only

amolbhatia50k

if he's good enough a dribbler, space will me made for his teammates by attracting the defenders to him only
Yeah good dribblers irrespective of pace naturally open up space for others by pulling everyone towards them and taking them out of place. Di Maria has done this excellently over a number of years. And januzaj proved in 2013/14 that he is too. Both players didn't have their best season's last year so naturally its skewing people's take on them.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Yeah good dribblers irrespective of pace naturally open up space for others by pulling everyone towards them and taking them out of place. Di Maria has done this excellently over a number of years. And januzaj proved in 2013/14 that he is too. Both players didn't have their best season's last year so naturally its skewing people's take on them.
You could be right, but for me the best performances of di maria was when he would overlap from the centre whenever one of ronaldo or bale dribbled towards the goal. That's dribbling in to space and that kind of player is better to be utilised in the centre while wider players make incisions inwards.

His most succesful season came through the middle behind 3 forwards out of which whom 2 wingers would cut in, di maria would then overlap ensuing that Madrid never lost their attacking shape.

Di maria is a much better central player than he is as a winger; especially considering that our wingers are actually forwards too.

darioterios

You could be right, but for me the best performances of di maria was when he would overlap from the centre whenever one of ronaldo or bale dribbled towards the goal. That's dribbling in to space and that kind of player is better to be utilised in the centre while wider players make incisions inwards.

His most succesful season came through the middle behind 3 forwards out of which whom 2 wingers would cut in, di maria would then overlap ensuing that Madrid never lost their attacking shape.

Di maria is a much better central player than he is as a winger; especially considering that our wingers are actually forwards too.
so who should be on the opposite flank of memphis?

amolbhatia50k

I don't disagree that Di Maria's best season came as the left sided attacking tip of a central midfield trio, where he hurt teams both in central runs from deep positions right at the heart of teams, and drifted out wide to cross like a left winger would. It was a fantastic role he performed and I don't think anyone can claim to have seen him play footballer. It brought out the very best in him, and not just in an attacking sense, because his pressing abilities also were better utilized than ever before.

So yeah, I argue with none of that. Although it has to be remembered that even as a winger he has had a lot of success. Absolutely tormented Alves for example, something he did better than even Ronaldo at times because of his tricky dribbling and non stop running.

But having said all of that, I don't agree with the premise that Di Maria, and Januzaj, two very naturally gifted dribblers, require space. In a sense, every player loves space to work with. But generally, the better dribbler you are, the less reliant you are on space and more liable you are to drag defenders everywhere. And Di Maria in particular at Madrid has shown to be an excellent dribbler and a lot of the time in central areas, creating space for others like Ronaldo and Benzema. If you're less gifted as a dribbler (like Lennon) you require even more space to work with.

amolbhatia50k

Having said that, of course pace is another way to create space and stretch the game.

Di Maria is someone who has both of course, so hopefully we see plenty of that next season.

Tosicsleftpeg

Really like Januzaj and I think people forget just how good he was in his first season. For one reason or another he may not have getting enough game time but he is a special talent and one who we need to put time and effort into this year.
Could be a brilliant player for us in years to come but he has to be in the side. Got great dribbling and passing and can score goals as well, would be a crying shame to see him fall by the wayside.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I dont think we should loan him out, they just make the players drift further away from the team, he should stay and fight.

ravelston

Really like Januzaj and I think people forget just how good he was in his first season. For one reason or another he may not have getting enough game time but he is a special talent and one who we need to put time and effort into this year.
Could be a brilliant player for us in years to come but he has to be in the side. Got great dribbling and passing and can score goals as well, would be a crying shame to see him fall by the wayside.
How he progresses is entirely up to him. In reakity his first season was very like last season in that he had moments of brilliance interspersed with long periods of anonymity - it's just that the brilliance shone more in the general horror of 2013-14. What he needs more than anything else at the moment is to bulk up and work on his speed - he is remarkably slow for a player with a reputation for being fast. A faster, more physically solid Januzaj might be able to get more consistently involved in games and, unless he does, I don't see him having a future at the highest level.

In Rainbows

How he progresses is entirely up to him. In reakity his first season was very like last season in that he had moments of brilliance interspersed with long periods of anonymity - it's just that the brilliance shone more in the general horror of 2013-14. What he needs more than anything else at the moment is to bulk up and work on his speed - he is remarkably slow for a player with a reputation for being fast. A faster, more physically solid Januzaj might be able to get more consistently involved in games and, unless he does, I don't see him having a future at the highest level.
Not true. He was just better that season. He still had bad performances that season, but he had a lot more great performances in 2013-14 than last year. Even if the players around him had a better season than their actual seasons, Januzaj would have still shown brilliantly.

Januzaj doesn't need more speed unless United want him to be a pacey winger, which is just not the kind of player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.