5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Loaning out young players is not bad. That doesn't mean we turning our backs on them. We have sending them out to get more game time and improve their game so they have a chance at the first team when they come back depending on if they impressed. Selling a young player who has so much potential like Januzaj will not be good.
I know that and you know that, journalists also know that but that's not the angle they will go for.

SteveW

Up there as one of the worst substitute appearances in our modern history. Awful yesterday. His decision making means whenever he comes on, we cannot afford to let him be within 60 yards of goal. This is going to be a long and tough season for him at this rate when last season gave hope to much more. Simply put, we cannot expect any level of reasonable impact from the boy this season on his current form.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions beyond the above paragraph. Just hope he knuckles down, develops his brain and grows to become a key player for United over the next 3 years.

In good news for Adnan, 2 months ago, without the arrivals, there was pressure on him for instant results all the time. Now, he has an opportunity to regroup a bit, learn from the experience and develop with these new players. This season he will not be the go to man for an impact any more or the young hope with all of the answers. This can actually be a positive in his long term progression.
Possibly the worst post I've read on here

mu4c_20le

If Adnan is the young player in question from Rio's book, then it's great to see how badly he wants to play and reach his potential. Passion like that can only be a good thing, and we've sorely lacked that since SAF's glory days. Sure he made that one mistake where he should have squared the ball but who can blame him for wanting to prove himself after being left out for so long. I can only hope that he gets played properly and not just being thrown into the wingback position or central mid, it was painful watching LvG's experiment earlier in the season and playing Adnan all over the place. I'm sure he's willing to play anywhere just to get some match time with the first team but I'd much prefer we use him as an attacking outlet, preferably out wide.

JSMHE

But if he is fit - and LVG can't find a way to give him a start - then it's better that he plays with the U21s each week - he needs game time. If he can't get it properly with your main team then U21 is the way to go.
I think he is fit. It's just that there is no place for him to play a starter and LVG seems not trusting him ahead of our world class players in striker position, no 10 role position or Di Maria position which I'm not surprise. Not gonna lie but I hate to admit that I think Liverpool and Rodgers has done better treating on Sterling than what we are doing on Januzaj.
Time will tell more.

MDFC Manager

That's really poor from Rio. No need to spill the beans about the young lad. Even more so when he himself was publicly whinging that he wasn't getting enough game time. :rolleyes:

Cina

I think he is fit. It's just that there is no place for him to play a starter and LVG seems not trusting him ahead of our world class players in striker position, no 10 role position or Di Maria position which I'm not surprise. Not gonna lie but I hate to admit that I think Liverpool and Rodgers has done better treating on Sterling than what we are doing on Januzaj.
Time will tell more.
Or they're completely burning him out because they're over reliant on him. They rested him for the weekend because he needed it and ended up having to bring him on anyway.

Adnan will be fine.

Gerald G

It's interesting that he spoke about working hard defensively in his post match interview. It sounds like something he's been told to do more and he's working on it. Januzaj is class though and will get enough game time I'm sure of it. It's just unfortunate that we've not got many competitions this year.

JSMHE

Or they're completely burning him out because they're over reliant on him. They rested him for the weekend because he needed it and ended up having to bring him on anyway.

Adnan will be fine.
They did rest him a lot half of the season in 2012/2013. And it seems Rodgers didn't start him in the weekend due of him feeling tired. But still Sterling got his chances more than Adnan though.

rotherham_red

I think once we buy that strong midfielder which would allow us to play a proper 4-3-3, we'll see more of him. Certainly should be the first option after ADM on either the left or the right. My dream line-up would have both of them starting off the flanks. Would truly bring back the attacking wingplay we were so accustomed to under Fergie, but with the added benefit of the both of them being so much more complete than the touchline-huggers that used to be the norm in the 90s.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Just watched the highlights, am I the only one who is happy with how he is going for the goal a lot more often? He has it in him, and last season he was often all fart and no poo, no end product. Now when he gets the ball, and he has a space to shoote he does it, for now it wont go in all the times, but in the future, he will be a prolific goalscorer if he continues like this.

FromTheBench

Just watched the highlights, am I the only one who is happy with how he is going for the goal a lot more often? He has it in him, and last season he was often all fart and no poo, no end product. Now when he gets the ball, and he has a space to shoote he does it, for now it wont go in all the times, but in the future, he will be a prolific goalscorer if he continues like this.
I have referred to this few times now and he's getting more and more selfish if you can call it.

Definitely seems something coaches have told him to do, as he seems to be improving his shooting and goalscoring ability. Not showing so far in the matches but he can be a real goalscorer when it clicks.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I have referred to this few times now and he's getting more and more selfish if you can call it.

Definitely seems something coaches have told him to do, as he seems to be improving his shooting and goalscoring ability. Not showing so far in the matches but he can be a real goalscorer when it clicks.
Its not per se selfish imo, but when he gets the chance and its from a decent to good angle, he tries it. 'Its only selfish when it fails', if he was bangin all these in nobody would give a feck.

Will Absolute

We've got a big problem with Adnan, and there has to be a real danger of losing him. If we continue with the diamond of last Sunday, for instance, he's got to displace either Mata or Herrera to secure a starting place; and that's after leaving one of Falcao, Rooney or RvP on the bench, and completely forgetting any claims to playing time that the equally brilliant Wilson might make. And people complain about selling Welbeck!

Adnan had a great game upfront last night, but is LvG really going to pick him ahead of two of the three musketeers?

His best chance may be if we revert to more orthodox wing play - he on one side and Di Maria on the other perhaps? Failing that, a good loan.

I doubt he's more likely to stick around patiently awaiting his chance than Paul Pogba, and for similar reasons. The difference is we've got him under contract, so he can't just walk. But would we force him to stay against his will?

All in all, I think the Mata purchase may not be the best £37m the club ever spent.

SiRed

We've got a big problem with Adnan, and there has to be a real danger of losing him. If we continue with the diamond of last Sunday, for instance, he's got to displace either Mata or Herrera to secure a starting place; and that's after leaving one of Falcao, Rooney or RvP on the bench, and completely forgetting any claims to playing time that the equally brilliant Wilson might make. And people complain about selling Welbeck!

Adnan had a great game upfront last night, but is LvG really going to pick him ahead of two of the three musketeers?

His best chance may be if we revert to more orthodox wing play - he on one side and Di Maria on the other perhaps? Failing that, a good loan.

I doubt he's more likely to stick around patiently awaiting his chance than Paul Pogba, and for similar reasons. The difference is we've got him under contract, so he can't just walk. But would we force him to stay against his will?

All in all, I think the Mata purchase may not be the best £37m the club ever spent.
Its been said that he prefers the number 10 role. I think he will get games as back up to Mata. When Rooney switched to the number 10 role against QPR, all of a sudden our play slowed significantly, tied in with the fact we were happy to let Kagawa leave suggests to me now that Adnan is second in line for the number 10.

Also i doubt we will play the diamond every game. VG might want to play wider in some games, in which Adnan is our second best winger.

FromTheBench

I do wonder if he is used upfront like he was yesterday for the U21s.

Oddly Van Gaal hasn't used him in one of the 2 roles up top so far but used him everywhere else all over the place pretty much even as a sub.

I think when LVG was referring to Juice as a reason to let Welbeck go he was referring to both Januzaj and Wilson.

In the sort of diamond we were playing on Saturday with both strikers drifting wide he'll be pretty well suited.

In Rainbows

I do wonder if he is used upfront like he was yesterday for the U21s.

Oddly Van Gaal hasn't used him in one of the 2 roles up top so far but used him everywhere else all over the place pretty much even as a sub.

I think when LVG was referring to Juice as a reason to let Welbeck go he was referring to both Januzaj and Wilson.

In the sort of diamond we were playing on Saturday with both strikers drifting wide he'll be pretty well suited.
Doubt it. There is too much competition up front. One world class striker will always come off the bench and Wilson is the better striker. I think he would have really impressed LVG if he had gotten to play as the 10 in yesterday's match as he is at his best when he creates. I don't know if LVG has seen how good he is at passing. He had a couple of moments against Sunderland where he showed his passing ability though his execution was a bit off. The lobbed ball over the defense and his defense splitting pass to Janko were great ideas, but he didn't get his execution right.

Superpolfcb

Apparently some Belgian teammates where unhappy with him because he nutmegged Jan Vertonghen too often during training :lol:

Coach had to tell him to stop doing it :D

surf

He's versatile, so will get minutes in various positions. This feels like it will be a year of consolidation for Adnan, where he rounds out his game. No concerns about Kagawa and Welbeck leaving as it will give him more opportunities.

SteveW

Not worried about Adnan. I don't personally think the current front three has the right balance against decent sides. It should be one proper number 9 and two roving forwards as opposed to the current narrow front 3. We can feck about when we play QPR at home but we should be working towards something a bit more sustainable imo. I expect Januzaj to be an integral part of the front 3 by the end of the season.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think Adnan will get plenty of playing time. He can fill in for Mata and apparently can play as a striker like Rooney is doing, the one who drops slightly deeper, so he should get game time. There is no reason he cant fill in for Di Maria in some games against weaker opposition also.

What is worrying me about Adnan lately, is his decision making. The chance against QPR was a bad decision. A lovely move by him and Herera and he broke free in the box with two United players available, yet chose to shoot from a difficult angle.

Don't get me wrong, the game was already over, so it didn't matter, but stuff like this could cost us in other matches (I am sure he did the same thing against Swansea also).
He does the hard part getting into the great positions, but his final ball and his finishing needs work.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What Rio said isn't bad, it's coming out and publically embarrasing the boy. There's no need for that. He may have acted as a baby - somewhat spoilt - but there's no need for this. That is, if it even is Januzaj.

MDFC Manager

No you're not alone. Players like him need to be indulged. Like a certain Ronaldo was never discouraged to be himself, during his formative years. Of course, if he keeps doing it for a few years and there isn't enough end product, then you just let him leave.

Ferguson

One decision and now I see him being branded selfish all over the internet. Maybe he should have passed it, but it is not as if he didn't have an opportunity to score. Would Van Persie have passed it if he were in Adnan's position? Maybe he would, but maybe he wouldn't.

I don't think Adnan is selfish at all. Actually he is usually an intelligent and creative passer.

One of things I like about Adnan is that he is not afraid to take on a shot when the moment arises. We've had some selfish players and Adnan doesn't even come close.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I was rewatching the 1995-96 Season Review (the You Cant Win Anything With Kids season) and there was a snippet of an interview in there with David Beckham; the interview was commenting on how Becks is finally getting regular game time, but it wasn't in one set position, it was in a couple positions across the midfield. He asks Becks which he preferred and Becks replies "I do prefer to be in the center, but if there's a right wing spot I'll play the right wing". He went on to become a legendary right winger for both club and country, and it was all because Sir Alex knew where to play him, and trusted his judgement over Becks' own preference.

This all reminded me of young Adnan right. He states he prefers the number 10 spot, where a lot of youngsters say they want to play, it seems to be the most fashionable attacking position these days. However, I wonder if Van Gaal will do to him what SAF did to Becks and stick him on the wing anyway, and let him develop into a different kind of player than he sees himself as. I wouldn't mind that, I think he'd be an absolutely fantastic wide player.

Devil may care

Interesting that LvG referred to him as a striker today and mentioned he'd get more opportunities in 4-3-3, this plays into LvG's idea that the front 3 in 4-3-3 are all strikers, not one striker and 2 wingers. Personally I can also see Adnan at the top of the diamond where Mata plays but not in Herrera or Di Maria's roles as the box to box CM's in the diamond.

In Rainbows

Interesting that LvG referred to him as a striker today and mentioned he'd get more opportunities in 4-3-3, this plays into LvG's idea that the front 3 in 4-3-3 are all strikers, not one striker and 2 wingers. Personally I can also see Adnan at the top of the diamond where Mata plays but not in Herrera or Di Maria's roles as the box to box CM's in the diamond.
I took that quote as meaning something different. Januzaj is a winger that in the diamond will compete for a striker spot as there are no wingers, and if it was a 433 he would go on the wing. Januzaj can cover 3 positions in the diamond and can be a winger in a 433.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Am I right in saying Januzaj played as one of a forward 2 for the under 21s the other night when he scored his hattrick? I wonder if LVG sees potential in him as a striker. In a 4-3-3 I can only see him as one of the wide players in the forward 3. For now at least.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I agree, his effectiveness in front of goal has been questionable. He needs to work out it, and what's the best way of working on it? Doing it in a match, not by playing the safe ball across. Good on him.

itso 7

Am I right in saying Januzaj played as one of a forward 2 for the under 21s the other night when he scored his hattrick? I wonder if LVG sees potential in him as a striker. In a 4-3-3 I can only see him as one of the wide players in the forward 3. For now at least.
I think LVG envisions him as a second striker, the role Robben played at the world cup behind Van Persie and I think he'd be more lethal in that role given his ball carrying and passing ability. The only thing missing is the finishing. This also enables him to provide width in the relatively narrow formations we are using.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I was rewatching the 1995-96 Season Review (the You Cant Win Anything With Kids season) and there was a snippet of an interview in there with David Beckham; the interview was commenting on how Becks is finally getting regular game time, but it wasn't in one set position, it was in a couple positions across the midfield. He asks Becks which he preferred and Becks replies "I do prefer to be in the center, but if there's a right wing spot I'll play the right wing". He went on to become a legendary right winger for both club and country, and it was all because Sir Alex knew where to play him, and trusted his judgement over Becks' own preference.

This all reminded me of young Adnan right. He states he prefers the number 10 spot, where a lot of youngsters say they want to play, it seems to be the most fashionable attacking position these days. However, I wonder if Van Gaal will do to him what SAF did to Becks and stick him on the wing anyway, and let him develop into a different kind of player than he sees himself as. I wouldn't mind that, I think he'd be an absolutely fantastic wide player.
Agree with your sentiments but disagree with the position. Januzaj reminds me of a young Van Persie, he lacks the pace to be a world class winger.. He can't be a Robben but I like this striker role being suggested. Might suit him down to a tee.

BW.k

Agree with your sentiments but disagree with the position. Januzaj reminds me of a young Van Persie, he lacks the pace to be a world class winger.. He can't be a Robben but I like this striker role being suggested. Might suit him down to a tee.
Beckham didn't have huge amount of pace either. And he was a worse dribbler than Januzaj which is arguably more important thing for a winger than pace.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Beckham didn't have huge amount of pace either. And he was a worse dribbler than Januzaj which is arguably more important thing for a winger than pace.
Crossing was a big feature of our 90's based 4-4-2 game and Beckham was more a right midfielder rather than a winger. As good as Beckham was, you can see how a Cristiano on that flank is so much more dangerous - pace as well as trickery. Of course Januzaj can feature on the wing and be a solid player in that role, i.e. he could easily be a Beckham on that left side.. but I think he has the potential to be a serious goal threat further afield and I just think in the current era pace/as well as being a goal threat on the flanks is essential. The top teams Bayern, Real and Barca.. have incredible goal threats out wide. They're all pacey and skilful... Beckham would struggle to displace any of those players and this is coming from a guy who loves him to bits as a player.

BW.k

Crossing was a big feature of our 90's based 4-4-2 game and Beckham was more a right midfielder rather than a winger. As good as Beckham was, you can see how a Cristiano on that flank is so much more dangerous - pace as well as trickery. Of course Januzaj can feature on the wing and be a solid player in that role, i.e. he could easily be a Beckham on that left side.. but I think he has the potential to be a serious goal threat further afield and I just think in the current era pace/as well as being a goal threat on the flanks is essential. The top teams Bayern, Real and Barca.. have incredible goal threats out wide. They're all pacey and skilful... Beckham would struggle to displace any of those players and this is coming from a guy who loves him to bits as a player.
Being able to beat your man with pace and having clever movements is far more valuable than just being a sprinter. Januzaj isn't as fast as Robben(frank there are less than 1% of footballers who're as pacey and have as good dribbling as him let alone as good as him in other areas) but he's quick and can leave even the top defenders behind with his clever dribbling ability and balance which matters the most.
He is extremely versatile , he can easily turn into Beckham v2 or Ronaldo v2(maybe not in term of the level but similar in style and still be effective). his passing , vision and creativity is top notch for a 19 year old and he's also a very good shooter and will develop the consistency with age.

I reckon he will be played as a right winger but will be turned into a right winger(similar to Ronaldo in 07-08) depending on whether he becomes a consistent goal threat.

Devil may care

I took that quote as meaning something different. Januzaj is a winger that in the diamond will compete for a striker spot as there are no wingers, and if it was a 433 he would go on the wing. Januzaj can cover 3 positions in the diamond and can be a winger in a 433.
What I was meaning is that I don't think LvG sees the right and left forward in a front 3 as wingers, I think he sees them more as wide strikers in the way Barcaelona use Neymar and Pedro. This is how I feel he sees Adnan developing, as a goal scoring wide forward.

In Rainbows

What I was meaning is that I don't think LvG sees the right and left forward in a front 3 as wingers, I think he sees them more as wide strikers in the way Barcaelona use Neymar and Pedro. This is how I feel he sees Adnan developing, as a goal scoring wide forward.
I know, but it's impossible to infer that from his comment. Adnan having more opportunities in a 4-3-3 just means that he suits that particular formation more than the diamond either due to an extra forward spot (5 strikers competing for 3 spots instead of 2) or because he fits the wide role more than any of the attacking players (minus Di Maria).

Status
Not open for further replies.