Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I just think in the current era pace/as well as being a goal threat on the flanks is essential. The top teams Bayern, Real and Barca.. have incredible goal threats out wide. They're all pacey and skilful... Beckham would struggle to displace any of those players and this is coming from a guy who loves him to bits as a player.
David Silva and Samir Nasri aren't.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Being able to beat your man with pace and having clever movements is far more valuable than just being a sprinter. Januzaj isn't as fast as Robben(frank there are less than 1% of footballers who're as pacey and have as good dribbling as him let alone as good as him in other areas) but he's quick and can leave even the top defenders behind with his clever dribbling ability and balance which matters the most.
He is extremely versatile , he can easily turn into Beckham v2 or Ronaldo v2(maybe not in term of the level but similar in style and still be effective). his passing , vision and creativity is top notch for a 19 year old and he's also a very good shooter and will develop the consistency with age.

I reckon he will be played as a right winger but will be turned into a right winger(similar to Ronaldo in 07-08) depending on whether he becomes a consistent goal threat.
Every player I referred to has those clever movements, tricks galore and express pace to go with it. If we want to be better than those teams, you have to have the same calibre of players in those positions. Might only be 1% of players who can do that.. but we're Manchester United, we're aiming to have those 1% of players playing for us i.e. Di Maria.

He can turn into Beckham v2, but to say he can turn into Ronaldo v2 with such certainty is a step too far. He has a lot to prove yet in my opinion. I agree that all those attributes you listed are top quality and he is versatile... but whether he can beat top defenders for fun and leave them for dead, like Ronaldo used to do.. is another question.

Ronaldo played against Maldini when we faced AC Milan and Maldini had a game on his hands, Cole had to be at his best to keep Ronaldo in his pocket. I've seen Januzaj kept quiet by Luke Shaw and Jon Flanagan... so to say he is on the same level and easily be as good as Ronaldo is far fetched in my opinion. I'm pretty sure if Januzaj was showing Ronaldo type talent as a winger, LVG would change to 4-3-3 asap. At the moment he doesn't feel tempted. Remember Fergie got shot of Ruud, purely because he believed in Ronaldo and keeping him happy.

Januzaj's journey will be incredibly interesting to watch, there is a beast of a player inside him but he can easily be a excellent player in a variety of positions, but with the talent he has, being merely excellent would be a waste. I trust LVG to find the optimum position for him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They're not top class wingers? one has a free role and the other is a decent player but not world class.
So why can't Adnan get that role? I may be wrong here but your post seems as though you're entrenched in this view that to succeed as a player in a wide position you must have blistering pace and goalscoring abilities.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So why can't Adnan get that role? I may be wrong here but your post seems as though you're entrenched in this view that to succeed as a player in a wide position you must have blistering pace and goalscoring abilities.
My view is that to be a top class wide player in the modern game (by top class I mean Bale/Robben/Ribery/Neymar/Ronaldo/Hazard) and I mean to threaten teams like Real, Barca et al i.e. that is what we are always striving towards... you need a winger who has their qualities. It is an arms race and you can't be left behind.

Someone like Nasri is nowhere near their level, he's a decent player but hardly a threat.. he's not a player who'll win you Champions Leagues.

Adnan in a free role? of course he has it in him to be Silva-esque, but that wasn't my point. I think a free role or a striker position is potentially his best positions if he is to maximise the attributes at his disposal, but he can definitely be a solid wide-man - I don't doubt that, I just don't think he has it in him to be as dangerous as the aforementioned players out wide but if he can improve physically i.e. get quicker, run at players consistently and beat them out wide without having spells of lethargy throughout a game, then of course.. technically he is as good as anyone.

Devil may care

I know, but it's impossible to infer that from his comment. Adnan having more opportunities in a 4-3-3 just means that he suits that particular formation more than the diamond either due to an extra forward spot (5 strikers competing for 3 spots instead of 2) or because he fits the wide role more than any of the attacking players (minus Di Maria).
Sorry, you're right, I get what you mean now, I was latching onto what he said and then interpreting where I think it will lead.

BW.k

Every player I referred to has those clever movements, tricks galore and express pace to go with it. If we want to be better than those teams, you have to have the same calibre of players in those positions. Might only be 1% of players who can do that.. but we're Manchester United, we're aiming to have those 1% of players playing for us i.e. Di Maria.

He can turn into Beckham v2, but to say he can turn into Ronaldo v2 with such certainty is a step too far. He has a lot to prove yet in my opinion. I agree that all those attributes you listed are top quality and he is versatile... but whether he can beat top defenders for fun and leave them for dead, like Ronaldo used to do.. is another question.

Ronaldo played against Maldini when we faced AC Milan and Maldini had a game on his hands, Cole had to be at his best to keep Ronaldo in his pocket. I've seen Januzaj kept quiet by Luke Shaw and Jon Flanagan... so to say he is on the same level and easily be as good as Ronaldo is far fetched in my opinion. I'm pretty sure if Januzaj was showing Ronaldo type talent as a winger, LVG would change to 4-3-3 asap. At the moment he doesn't feel tempted. Remember Fergie got shot of Ruud, purely because he believed in Ronaldo and keeping him happy.

Januzaj's journey will be incredibly interesting to watch, there is a beast of a player inside him but he can easily be a excellent player in a variety of positions, but with the talent he has, being merely excellent would be a waste. I trust LVG to find the optimum position for him.
My comparison with Ronaldo was more in terms of style rather than ability if you read my post. Ronaldo wasn't a 19 year old in his first season in a struggling side when he faced Maldini. Januzaj was one of our best performers at the bridge last season though it says more about the team but he had Ivanovic worrying and even got the better of him with some silky skills. Its too soon to say whether he will end up as a winger or not. Januzaj is very direct and can definitely improve his shooting a lot with time on his side. Griezmann doesn't have loads of pace but he's turning into one of the best goalscoring wingers in the world. So januzaj could easily develop into one as well.

jb8521

Strange post considering Maldini played as a centre half in that game and the video you posted didnt actually show Ronaldo beating him at any stage it showed him beating Pirlo for pace a couple of times and getting fouled by Cafu a few times. You then go on to say you've seen Januzaj kept quiet by Shaw and Flanagan which seems to ignore the fact that in his first season Ronaldo was often completely marked out of games by full backs who were a lot worse defensively than Shaw or Flanagan. I'm not Januzaj will ever get to the level of Ronaldo but its not exactly fair to pick and choose certain games to try and illustrate a point especially when you're talking about beating players considering Januzaj's dribble success in his first season was better than Ronaldo's although obviously Ronaldo made a lot more

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Strange post considering Maldini played as a centre half in that game and the video you posted didnt actually show Ronaldo beating him at any stage it showed him beating Pirlo for pace a couple of times and getting fouled by Cafu a few times. You then go on to say you've seen Januzaj kept quiet by Shaw and Flanagan which seems to ignore the fact that in his first season Ronaldo was often completely marked out of games by full backs who were a lot worse defensively than Shaw or Flanagan. I'm not Januzaj will ever get to the level of Ronaldo but its not exactly fair to pick and choose certain games to try and illustrate a point especially when you're talking about beating players considering Januzaj's dribble success in his first season was better than Ronaldo's although obviously Ronaldo made a lot more
Januzaj of course is going to be a more accurate dribbler, he has better close control and dribbles at a slower pace. The point of my video is to highlight the fear factor Ronaldo has with his electric pace, they had to defend well to ensure they snuffed him out the game.. but look at how he just kept going, his intensity was amazing to watch. Milan dealt with him extremely well, but the point is that some of the greatest defensive legends in the game saw him as a threat and had to see him off with some quality defending... people greatly underrate the talent Ronaldo had at a young age.. they make him out like he was a Nani. Yes he had games where he was unproductive in terms of end product as the statistics indicate, but every time he took to the pitch.. he took the game to opponents and ran at them.

Januzaj is a more cerebral type of talent, which might be best utilised on the wing.. but in my opinion, he'd be better placed as a support striker/forward.

jb8521

Januzaj of course is going to be a more accurate dribbler, he has better close control and dribbles at a slower pace. The point of my video is to highlight the fear factor Ronaldo has with his electric pace, they had to defend well to ensure they snuffed him out the game.. but look at how he just kept going, his intensity was amazing to watch. Milan dealt with him extremely well, but the point is that some of the greatest defensive legends in the game saw him as a threat and had to see him off with some quality defending... people greatly underrate the talent Ronaldo had at a young age.. they make him out like he was a Nani. Yes he had games where he was unproductive in terms of end product as the statistics indicate, but every time he took to the pitch.. he took the game to opponents and ran at them.

Januzaj is a more cerebral type of talent, which might be best utilised on the wing.. but in my opinion, he'd be better placed as a support striker/forward.
Dont get me wrong Im not underrating the young Ronaldo he was my favourite player from the moment he arrived and I actually saw him playing in an under age tournament about a year before we signed him and started watching Sporting games to see him play. I actually agree with a lot of what youre saying here just disagreed with using two games where Januzaj was marked well in as a way of negatively comparing him to Ronaldo when Ronaldo had plenty of anonymous games himself against worse defenders and the game you highlighted was Ronaldo in his third season of professional football while Januzaj was in his first. I think Januzaj has so much talent and such a different array of talents that that if hes willing to work hard enough then he can be moulded into a world class player in any of the attacking positions.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Agree with your sentiments but disagree with the position. Januzaj reminds me of a young Van Persie, he lacks the pace to be a world class winger.. He can't be a Robben but I like this striker role being suggested. Might suit him down to a tee.
I feel like the pace thing is becoming an urban myth. Of course he's no Robben or Cristiano in terms of quickness but he's no slouch (I feel like he's faster than Van Persie ever was), not to mention close control and dribbling precision is just as effective for beating defenders as haring it down the touch line. He just needs to develop his football brain to become an amazing wide attacker; I don't think he's selfish like some people are saying, it's more that he doesn't have good decision making. Once he develops, having that goal threat and creativity from out wide would be immensely helpful to the team.

Also, I don't disagree that he would make a good striker. I just feel like someone like Adnan would be frustrated if he weren't influencing the game constantly, being involved in build-up as opposed to moving off the ball up top and not seeing much of it come to feet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I feel like the pace thing is becoming an urban myth. Of course he's no Robben or Cristiano in terms of quickness but he's no slouch (I feel like he's faster than Van Persie ever was), not to mention close control and dribbling precision is just as effective for beating defenders as haring it down the touch line. He just needs to develop his football brain to become an amazing wide attacker; I don't think he's selfish like some people are saying, it's more that he doesn't have good decision making. Once he develops, having that goal threat and creativity from out wide would be immensely helpful to the team.

Also, I don't disagree that he would make a good striker. I just feel like someone like Adnan would be frustrated if he weren't influencing the game constantly, being involved in build-up as opposed to moving off the ball up top and not seeing much of it come to feet.
I actually think his decision-making is one of his best attributes and will be in the years to come. It is just he feels under pressure to win a place and is neglecting the basics... his ability to pass a ball is superior to a Ronaldo.

In Rainbows

I actually think his decision-making is one of his best attributes and will be in the years to come. It is just he feels under pressure to win a place and is neglecting the basics... his ability to pass a ball is superior to a Ronaldo.
Januzaj's decision making at youth level was above every player I have seen (granted it isn't a lot of players), but it has taken a dent in the first team. He used to pick and choose his moments to dribble at youth level, but put more emphasis on that for the first team. He also used to shoot a lot less for the youth teams, but has become slightly more trigger happy.

His play style changed last season. He used to love going to the ball and picking teams apart with his passing, but he plays differently now. I don't know if that's down to his instructions or an individual effort to develop his other qualities. Or it could be that Moyes taught him a certain way of playing :lol:.

It has changed though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Januzaj's decision making at youth level was above every player I have seen (granted it isn't a lot of players), but it has taken a dent in the first team. He used to pick and choose his moments to dribble at youth level, but put more emphasis on that for the first team. He also used to shoot a lot less for the youth teams, but has become slightly more trigger happy.

His play style changed last season. He used to love going to the ball and picking teams apart with his passing, but he plays differently now. I don't know if that's down to his instructions or an individual effort to develop his other qualities. Or it could be that Moyes taught him a certain way of playing :lol:.

It has changed though.
Being in your comfort zone, it is very easy to play at your own pace and make good decision after good decision. Going up a level in addition to the pressure of cementing your place in the side.. it is bound to have an effect, trying to make an impression and forcing things instead of playing your natural game. He's trying to become a more explosive player which for me isn't a bad thing... just need to remain patient and I am sure he will strike the right balance once again. One thing is for sure - he can't play at the same tempo he did for the youth teams, he has to do the same things he did then but at a much quicker speed and keep it up throughout 90 minutes. Any let off in terms of energy will be spotted by LVG and he'll not feature in the side.. really does have to keep pushing himself to break into this side.

Firstouch20

I watched Ronaldo extensively when he was young and i can categorically say that Januzaj looks like a far bigger talent. He is more technically gifted than Ronaldo was at the same age and he a more natural dribbler while Ronaldo was more of a trickster than a pure dribbler. Ronaldo however had work ethic that is unparalleled in modern football which took him to the absolute pinnacle. If Januzaj is half as dedicated as Ronaldo was then he will reach the very top. We're looking at the future Kaka here.

JSMHE

I wonder what is he feeling and thinking right now, knowing that Mata is dropped but he still fail to get his starting eleven spot in Mata role.

Last edited:
Leicester 5:3 Man Utd

ZDwyr

Adnan is really struggling this season I think. He is getting a few minutes here and there but not enough to make an impact and he has put in some poor performances during these sub appearances. He just doesn't seem to fit in at the moment.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I think he needs a start in the next month or so to get his game back together. So far as a sub he's been incredibly poor but the potential is still obviously there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's changed mentally from last season, no longer seems like the youngster doing everything he can off the bench to try and get in the team with the belief that he'll do it. Maybe he's just lacking in confidence right now but he just doesn't seem like he has the belief that he can force his way into the team and so isn't really making an impact. Of course he's not getting loads of playing time, but before you saw him running at defenders, trying things, but now he just either gives it back to the person who passed it to him or he just goes hiding.
Hopefully he gets a start as a winger soon if we try a 4-3-3 with Di Maria on the other side, reckon we'd be great like that. Not too bothered about having RvP and Mata the ones most likely dropped in that scenario either, if it means he gets a proper chance.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Good grief... The guy hardly got the ball today in the very few minutes he got. Meanwhile we were playing with fecking 10 men and falling apart defensively while he was playing as a striker receiving no service.

How fecking daft are some of you? If your engine is broken do you go to the repair shop and have them look at the boot of your car? Because thats essentially the same thing.

DevilRed

I don't like how we insist on playing him as a striker though. Why not put him on the wing where he clearly has put in his best performances? Even Ronaldo wasn't ready to be a striker at 19/20 years of age.

In Rainbows

I think he needs a start in the next month or so to get his game back together. So far as a sub he's been incredibly poor but the potential is still obviously there.
He's been poor as a sub because he hasn't really gotten minutes and has been played in numerous positions. He rarely got the ball against Leicester playing as a striker and United were down to 10 men. Against Sunderland he played as a cm. Against Burnley he got 3 minutes. Against QPR he only got 10 minutes and he should have done better as he had a great chance. That's the thing with his limited minutes though. The fact that 1 mistake is all that he's allowed due to playing so few minutes is why he's looking subdued.

In all of his games he has played as a cm, a striker, a rwb, a rw, a lw, and as a #10. 6 positions he has had to cover.

Hit It

Will become a top player when beefs up a bit. He's already talented but there are areas he needs to improve and and I'm certain he he will. I wouldn't like to loan him out but if he's not getting a game, then I think it make sense to go with that option. It would have to be a team in the Premier League where he regularly plays and not abroad.

Devil may care

The article doesn't say anything new, just what most of us have been talking about regarding how much game time Januzaj is going to get this season, where he should play and if we can keep him happy under the circumstances.

JoaquinJoaquin

Seems strange to me that in this day and age people would actually pay to view the Times website, But anyways..

In regards to Adnan, I just think he is trying too hard and overthinking everything he does at the moment, He needs to play with freedom and not worry so much, I think because the lack of minutes he is getting that when he is on the pitch he is trying to impress LVG rather than play his natural game which would impress him anyways.

I must admit I am starting to get slightly concerned on how he is going to get into this team now, I can't see him being a starter unless we get injuries in the attacking areas

In Rainbows

Seems strange to me that in this day and age people would actually pay to view the Times website, But anyways..

In regards to Adnan, I just think he is trying too hard and overthinking everything he does at the moment, He needs to play with freedom and not worry so much, I think because the lack of minutes he is getting that when he is on the pitch he is trying to impress LVG rather than play his natural game which would impress him anyways.

I must admit I am starting to get slightly concerned on how he is going to get into this team now, I can't see him being a starter unless we get injuries in the attacking areas
I can't see him getting starts until December where there are a lot of midweek games. Same with Wilson.

Bwuk

I'd love for us to go back to a 4-2-3-1 to be honest.

Carrick - Herrera
Di Maria - Mata - Januzaj
Falcao​

Won't happen though. The captain:( needs to play, and RvP will play regardless of form.

Truedevil

I'd love for us to go back to a 4-2-3-1 to be honest.

Carrick - Herrera
Di Maria - Mata - Januzaj
Falcao​

Won't happen though. The captain:( needs to play, and RvP will play regardless of form.
That team is just perfectly balanced and full of quality players. Pacey wingers, a top class 10 and the best 9 in the world. Still, we all know this won't happen as that would mean we have to bench Rooney and RvP.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Needs to go on loan to a decent league in Europe or stay in the Bpl at a lesser club like Newcastle or something his game time is so limited for him at the minute and playing the last 10 mins of games won't help him reach his potential.

ZDwyr

Needs to go on loan to a decent league in Europe or stay in the Bpl at a lesser club like Newcastle or something his game time is so limited for him at the minute and playing the last 10 mins of games won't help him reach his potential.
They're a bit of a mess at the moment. Not sure the environment wouldn't be toxic with the whole Pardew thing. Wouldn't mind him going somewhere else though.

RedMilo

LVG needs to show faith in Januzaj and start integrating him in the team more, my opinion is a 4-2-3-1 would fit best with our players - De Gea, Jones, Evans, Blackett, Shaw, Carrick, Herrera, Januzaj, Rooney, Di Maria, Falcao/RVP.
Rotate Mata, Rooney, RVP, Januzaj & Falcao but for me Di Maria is a must starter for us already.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd love to go with a 4231, but we've only got two top quality wingers in Di Maria and Januzaj. I think as soon as we get another winger in next season, we'll be heading towards utilizing a system with two wingers.

MoneyMay

I'm not concerned about Januzaj because Van Gaal clearly rates him IMO which is why he's had him come off the bench in every game we have played this season, bar MK Dons which he started. Many youngsters struggle in their second season, but I feel it's different in Januzaj's case because he's not on the periphery of games. And apart from the Burnley and Leicester games, he's had a positive impact when he has been given minutes. Of course he was criticised against QPR for not making the right decision - which is subjective anyway - but it was a typical Januzaj performance in which he had a positive influence with the limited amount of time he's had this season and that can only be seen as a positive. Also he's had to operate in quite a few roles/positions this season already - from wing back to a centre-forward, and without playing consistently in one position, it's very hard to build up confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoneyMay

Or maybe I don't want to face reality? I don't know, but his performances have been consistently good thus far this season:

Status
Not open for further replies.