AFC Asian cup 2019

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Some incredible misses today. Even when he plays they struggle to actually score, incredibly non-clinical side. Remember watching them struggle v Bolivia reserves. They just need to get through the ‘easy’ games when teams sit back and they will be a threat against the harder sides.
Good to know, cheers.

I had over 1.5 goals, just like the India game yesterday so many chances missed FFS :rolleyes:
It's cool we go again tomorrow. I'm on nights now though so i wont be able to follow the games

Phil

Aha, I work near Edgware Road and have been wondering what these daytime games on tv were. How is it for a neutral? Worth watching?

Darkhorsez

Iran played great! Some slick passing - might be a little biased but I think we have a good chance to go deep in this tournament

Darkhorsez

MASSIVE performance from the boys. Hopefully we don't let the performances drop against Iraq on Wednesday.
A bit surprised that Vietnam nearly beat them. It will interesting to see how they play against Yemen. So I think if we beat Iraq we may play South Korea and if we lose we play Saudis. Which one would you take?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Some hilarious defending in Iraq and Vietnam. First Viet goal is one of the best own goal finishes you'll ever see. Mohanad is a good player for Iraq and only 18, always impressed when I've seen him.
Great goal by him again, will 100% be moving after this comp.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
A bit surprised that Vietnam nearly beat them. It will interesting to see how they play against Yemen. So I think if we beat Iraq we may play South Korea and if we lose we play Saudis. Which one would you take?
Saudi, 100%. If we want to win I think we need to avoid Korea for as long as possible!

Hanks

Saudi, 100%. If we want to win I think we need to avoid Korea for as long as possible!
Tend to agree with this especially with Son joining team soon. Bento has a beef with Queiroz and they are definitely due a win against us after many years of getting 1-0ed by us. Having said that, their defense has looked very shaky despite not conceding so far and Kyrgyzstan could have easily had 2-3 goals yesterday. Son won't help fix that.

Also, I'm sick of playing the same teams every time in AFC. It's mental that we haven't played Australia once since they joined AFC in 2006, haven't played Japan in a competitive match since 2005, and last we played the Saudis was 2009 home loss in Tehran that got Daei sacked.

I especially want to play the Aussies. For obvious reasons, as it brings back amazing childhood memories and am confident we can beat them. Playing Saudis will also be fun (well, it'll be super intense) in its own way, but I'm not sure I want to see a repeat refereeing performance from semi-final of 1996 cup, 23 years ago.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I have to say, we've been better than I thought we would be over the two matches. We lack that extra bit of quality going forward (tactics aren't helping) but we have the basis of a decent team on the Asian level. Saudi Arabia will struggle defensively against the tougher sides IMO. I don't see them beating the likes of Iran and SK.

Giggsyking

Our game against Iran will be crucial, if we win we will meet a third not a second.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Missed todays games thanks to working nights and needing to sleep. Are there any highlight packages about anywhere guys?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Could the OP be updated with the scores and groups so far?

Giggsyking

0-0 Iraq vs Iran in halftime.
Iran should been playing with 10 men, poor refereeing imo.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
I'm pleased that Vietnam and Thailand have both made it through the group stages. I expect that they'll be knocked out in the last 16 but it's nonetheless pleasing to see two S.E. Asian teams make it that far.

Manowar

Quang Hai made the difference again with a beautiful freekick, although Yemen posed no threat at all and eventually we would beat them.
Hopefully we will meet Jordan instead of UAE, meeting the host at knockout stage is never preferable.

Giggsyking

I'm pleased that Vietnam and Thailand have both made it through the group stages. I expect that they'll be knocked out in the last 16 but it's nonetheless pleasing to see two S.E. Asian teams make it that far.
Vietnam has not gone through yet, if Lebanon win by 4 goal margin and Oman by 2 they will go through instead.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This hurts I'm not gonna lie, one goal away from qualifying! we conceded a very stupid goal and missed about 5 or 6 clear chances. Very annoying, I almost wish we didn't score the 4th!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems the hype about Qatar was justified, very impressive 2-0 win over Saudi Arabia and they top the group convincingly.