AFC Asian cup 2019

Hanks

Very fast-paced and end-to-end game between Iran-China so far.

1-0 to Iran after great work by Azmoun who stole the ball after Chinese defender let it bounce. Reminded me of Vidic vs. Torres in 2009, and then he squared for Taremi for a tap-in.

Japan continues to win without getting out of 3rd gear. I really don't know what to make of them and what to expect on Monday if we make it to Semis.

Also, big shout out to Vietnam and Kyrgyzstan. No body gave them any chance before the tournament, but both teams shook the status quo and are ones to watch for the future.

Kyrgyzstan lost to UAE due to one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen (no surprise) and they hit the post 3 times against the hosts. UAE has been so bad in this tournament so far, yet somehow topped their group and are now in QF. I can't see them surviving Australia though, especially with introduction of VAR at this stage.

Korea vs. Qatar tomorrow can also be very juicy. Also, Xavi pre-game predictions have been scarily and mostly accurate so far as a whole. From now on, he has Iran-Japan as Semis of one side of bracket (very likely) and Qatar-Australia for the other...with Qatar-Japan final and Qatar winning it all.

We'll find out in about a week time :eek:

Milo2035

It was the biggest game in Vietnam's history and our players made us proud. The PVF academy (which Scholesy and Giggsy somehow involved) will provide much better players in the next decade. The future is bright.

Hanks

That was pure domination and such a satisfying win by us.

The first time we're playing Japan in an official match since......... 2 0 0 5

What a game it'll be on Monday....gutted for Taremi to miss out due to suspension. That was such as soft yellow card. I don't like him much as a person, but he has a great partnership with Azmoun and his offensive pressing and hard work is exemplary. He's a bit like a prime Dirk Kuyt I'd say. Well, I guess that leaves the door for Ghoddos to start.

Iran-Japan will be 9 a.m. ET time on Monday, gotta get my work excuse ready already :cool:

Metalix

Supports
Juventus
That was pure domination and such a satisfying win by us.

The first time we're playing Japan in an official match since......... 2 0 0 5

What a game it'll be on Monday....gutted for Taremi to miss out due to suspension. That was such as soft yellow card. I don't like him much as a person, but he has a great partnership with Azmoun and his offensive pressing and hard work is exemplary. He's a bit like a prime Dirk Kuyt I'd say. Well, I guess that leaves the door for Ghoddos to start.

Iran-Japan will be 9 a.m. ET time on Monday, gotta get my work excuse ready already :cool:
Taremi isn't suspended fortunately

Hanks

I'm proud of the boys. Azmoun was immense.
I have been following Team Melli regularly since 2010. This is already better that the 2011 and 2015 tournaments.
This is easily our best National Team since the 2004 team (which was the last time we reached the semis).

While we had more star power back then, this team feels more like a TEAM and isn't reliant on individual stars as much and we have much better depth.

I have horrible memories of us in Asian Cup semis since I started following in 1996. I've seen us play two semis ('96 vs. KSA) and ('04 vs. China) where we dominated both matches, had huge refereeing decisions go against us, only to go on and lose both of them in penalties. Really hope this is 3rd time lucky and we finally get to the final for the first time for over 40 years.

With a colossus like Beiranvand in net (How in this world isn't he playing in a better league), I'll be very confident if our match vs. Japan indeed went to penalties.

Hanks

Taremi isn't suspended fortunately
He is sadly. Today was the match after which the yellows are wiped off. I reviewed the rules and both commentary and GolBezan podcast confirmed it as well. He got a yellow vs. Vietnam and now this.

It was such a stupid and unnecessary foul right in the middle of the pitch, really not yellow-worthy at all. China barely posed a threat to us all game and CQ should have taken him off earlier. What made it even more frustrating was that Ghoddos was just about to replace him when he got the yellow.

We have Ghoddos, Torabi or Ansarifard to replace him in the starting line-up on Monday. Glad Karim got a goal to boost his confidence in case we needed him in the semis.

Darkhorsez

He is sadly. Today was the match after which the yellows are wiped off. I reviewed the rules and both commentary and GolBezan podcast confirmed it as well. He got a yellow vs. Vietnam and now this.

It was such a stupid and unnecessary foul right in the middle of the pitch, really not yellow-worthy at all. China barely posed a threat to us all game and CQ should have taken him off earlier. What made it even more frustrating was that Ghoddos was just about to replace him when he got the yellow.

We have Ghoddos, Torabi or Ansarifard to replace him in the starting line-up on Monday. Glad Karim got a goal to boost his confidence in case we needed him in the semis.
The ref was horrible on that call. Shame he misses out but as you mentioned we have enough replacements although Azmoun does have great chemistry with him. From what I have seen from Japan so far, I will be surprised if we don’t get to the final now.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
This is easily our best National Team since the 2004 team (which was the last time we reached the semis).

While we had more star power back then, this team feels more like a TEAM and isn't reliant on individual stars as much and we have much better depth.

I have horrible memories of us in Asian Cup semis since I started following in 1996. I've seen us play two semis ('96 vs. KSA) and ('04 vs. China) where we dominated both matches, had huge refereeing decisions go against us, only to go on and lose both of them in penalties. Really hope this is 3rd time lucky and we finally get to the final for the first time for over 40 years.

With a colossus like Beiranvand in net (How in this world isn't he playing in a better league), I'll be very confident if our match vs. Japan indeed went to penalties.
Ironically, the only match I've watched in the Asian Cup 2004 was in the group stages against Japan. I was eleven.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think Iran will beat Japan.

Actually I think they’ll win the tournament.
I have no idea what to make of Japan, they have played badly pretty much every game and won every game by one goal.

Varun

Staff
Let's keep this about football lads. No more off topic posts please.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Qatar just beat South Korea 1-0 to reach the semi-finals for the first time ever. This is a massive, massive achievement for a country that had barely any footballing presence in the Gulf region for several years let alone in the whole continent.

The potential for a Qatar-UAE semi-final is going to be frightening.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Qatar just beat South Korea 1-0 to reach the semi-finals for the first time ever. This is a massive, massive achievement for a country that had barely any footballing presence in the Gulf region for several years let alone in the whole continent.

The potential for a Qatar-UAE semi-final is going to be frightening.
Does that mean Son is coming back and available for next FPL game?

NYAS

Reached the semis and still haven’t conceded a single goal having played Saudi, Iraq and now South Korea.

Very proud and happy for my Gulf brothers.

Darkhorsez

Reached the semis and still haven’t conceded a single goal having played Saudi, Iraq and now South Korea.

Very proud and happy for my Gulf brothers.
They were my dark horse for the tournament. Played well and deserve to be in semi. They will have a couple of suspensions though and might be difficult for them to progress further

NYAS

They were my dark horse for the tournament. Played well and deserve to be in semi. They will have a couple of suspensions though and might be difficult for them to progress further
Their starting LB and Asian Footballer of the Year was suspended for this game against South Korea. Didn’t seem to affect them at all.

Their spirit is amazing and I don’t think they’ll let those suspensions get to them.

Kopral Jono

I just hope either Iran or Japan go all the way. I don't really want Qatar, UAE or Australia (who are barely in Asia) to win it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Uae player got a serious head injury and the Doctor tried desperately to stop him from coming back in but he still came back in . He collapsed later and was stretchered off . Very bad look for the tournament

Cal?

CR7 fan
So Japan are the only East Asian side left... :eek:

I guess I have to support them, despite their lackluster performances so far... :nervous:

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
Iran beat themselves. The first goal was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.
The penalty was unlucky. I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty, just that it was unlucky. After that we lost our minds. Oh well.
Thank you CQ for everything. I don't think he is going to stay.

Hanks

Yesterday felt like the Brazil-Germany semi final of 2014. Just a complete mental collapse by one side after conceding a very stupid first goal. Just so so amateur. Sad end to the Queiroz era. Game was very even and we started the second half better until this moment of complete idiocy that in my opinion was a stark contrast between the two cultures and societies. Well done Japan. Great team and nation always striving for excellence. Was disappointed at our players' antics in the last half hour...should have been more gracious in defeat.

Qatar is cruising vs. UAE in the other semi. Have to give it to them, came into this tournament and made a mockery of their two biggest geopolitical enemies in the enemy's turf. Takes some doing.

And also, a shout-out to Xavi. Laughed at his predictions pre-tournament, but he's been scarily accurate for the most part. Well done!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
And also, a shout-out to Xavi. Laughed at his predictions pre-tournament, but he's been scarily accurate for the most part. Well done!
Wasn't just Xavi that predicted Qatar would do well ;)

Qatars improvement over the last few years is incredible. Aspire Academy is doing wonders for them, one of the best academies in the world and the results finally appear to be showing. They'll be good at 2022 I think, with home bias + young players will be in their prime then. Almoez really needs to move back to Europe.