Alejandro Garnacho | 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

OleGunnar20

Great to see him get his debut. Hopefully we'll see more minutes for youngsters these last few games.

I think people overplay the 'You can't just throw them in' angle. There's merit there sure, but these kids are professional footballers, have played the game about everyday for most of their lives. You don't think they're all chomping at the bit to have a go?

Sure confidence can be knocked if they make a mistake early, but we'll never know what we've got until we start throwing them in. Just look at how Rashford got his break.

Besides, it's not like our seniors are doing anything to hold onto their spots.

united for life

Great to see him get his debut. Hopefully we'll see more minutes for youngsters these last few games.

I think people overplay the 'You can't just throw them in' angle. There's merit there sure, but these kids are professional footballers, have played the game about everyday for most of their lives. You don't think they're all chomping at the bit to have a go?

Sure confidence can be knocked if they make a mistake early, but we'll never know what we've got until we start throwing them in. Just look at how Rashford got his break.

Besides, it's not like our seniors are doing anything to hold onto their spots.
Thought the decision of bringing him on at extra time was weird. With Rashford and Elanga being as terrible as they are, I would’ve liked to see him come on with 15 mins to play.

OleGunnar20

Thought the decision of bringing him on at extra time was weird. With Rashford and Elanga being as terrible as they are, I would’ve liked to see him come on with 15 mins to play.
Ayye agreed, it's weird. But hey ho, what do I know.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Now we're basically out of the top 4 I hope he and Hannibal get way more minutes.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The only weird thing is people moaning about a 17 year old who isn’t even remotely ready not getting to play more. While in the same sentence calling Elanga terrible. People are so desperate for the next flavour of the week that they write off the previous youth player within the month.

Just two days ago he was abysmal against the mighty Blackburn u18s and before that he ruined every attack against Chelsea u23s.

But yea, it’s weird he isn’t playing more against Chelsea’s first team instead of those old wastes of space like Elanga.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The only weird thing is people moaning about a 17 year old who isn’t even remotely ready not getting to play more. While in the same sentence calling Elanga terrible. People are so desperate for the next flavour of the week that they write off the previous youth player within the month.

Just two days ago he was abysmal against the mighty Blackburn u18s and before that he ruined every attack against Chelsea u23s.

But yea, it’s weird he isn’t playing more against Chelsea’s first team instead of those old wastes of space like Elanga.
Well said, right now it's just great having amongst the first team.

lsd

The Oracle

I don't think anyone is criticising Elanga playing over him or that he wasn't playing from the start.

There is just a little frustration he came on two minutes from the end and never got to a chance to touch the ball.

That's understandable and I don't think it was asking too much for a guy who had been cashed up to the Argentina international side that we could have given him perhaps ten minutes

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Exactly why I'm hoping our youth doesn't play much for the remainder of the season, terrible conditions for them to be integrated in.

RedDevilRoshi

Hopefully see him get a run of games now along with a few of the other youngsters.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't think anyone is criticising Elanga playing over him or that he wasn't playing from the start.

There is just a little frustration he came on two minutes from the end and never got to a chance to touch the ball.

That's understandable and I don't think it was asking too much for a guy who had been cashed up to the Argentina international side that we could have given him perhaps ten minutes
Literally 3 posts above mine.

No, it isn’t understandable to see a 17 year old play poorly in the u18s and two days later cry that he isn’t playing enough for the first team while calling a recently turned 20 year old terrible.

He hasn’t featured in a single Argentina match day squad and spent the majority of the international break with their u20s. His “call up” means nothing.

I don’t think it’s asking too much to understand that the kid who just struggled against Blackburn’s u18s obviously isn’t ready to play against Chelsea’s first team and the manager who sees him train every day agrees.

jesperjaap

Good points.

I think its partly dire wish to see some excitement. Personally I like Elanga, works hard, good pace and moements and does the right things. Its very early in is carrer so this isnt a slating comment of hihm, but personally I see a decent player, not sure I see a genuine super quality, exciting player.

With that in mind, rightly or wrongly there is an exitement about seeing some of these talented hyped up players such as Hannibal and Garnacho. I am not saying instead of Elanga or starting etc. I mean, seeing them get more minutes, partly just to see them, to see them getting experience and in terms of getting a view of just how ready they are.

Like many I dont really watch youth football, so how they are doing there or how ready they are, erall ydont know. I do disagree with the "terrible conditions to throw them in on" comments though, I think some 15-20minute cameos can only be good experience for them and proud moments as well as being mor ebeneficial for us than in what is a dead season, throwing on Mata for example when we know he wotn even be her next year

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Recency effect.

Beaucoup

I don’t think it’s anything to do with playing him because he’s ready for 1st team football, it’s all about protecting an asset.

SAF is the GOAT

Posted on twitter with pictures

"Incredible moment making my debut at 17 years old for Manchester United in the Premier League at the Theatre of Dreams.

I can’t put into words what I’m feeling right now, I’ve been dreaming of this moment since I was 4 years old.

Remember guys, Dreams really do come true"
good luck kid

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You make all valid points tbh. At the same time, can't stop to just wonder what was the point of his late late sub. It helps no one IMHO

kouroux

The post above yours contradicts your opinion, it helps the player, massively.
The kid was happy, he'd have been just happy if it was any other team because it was his debut.
I asked the question from a Man Utd's POV, what was a sub that late supposed to do for the team expect make a kid happy ?

pascell

The kid was happy, he'd have been just happy if it was any other team because it was his debut.
I asked the question from a Man Utd's POV, what was a sub that late supposed to do for the team expect make a kid happy ?
Loyalty and shows that those in the u18s and u23s, if they work hard enough, they'll get chance in the first team.

Danish Wizard

Lets hope we get to see a bit more of him - and some of the other young players - in the remaining matches. Maybe 20 min next time vs Brentford for Garnacho. Slowly integrate him into the team.

kouroux

Loyalty and shows that those in the u18s and u23s, if they work hard enough, they'll get chance in the first team.
I see it more as a reward for the player and his young teammates but nothing to positively impact the game. That's what I mean, in the long run, United might possibly benefit from it or not but when it came to last night's game, it was a sub that did nothing to the club (not because of the player I have to precise but because of how late it was).

pascell

I see it more as a reward for the player and his young teammates but nothing to positively impact the game. That's what I mean, in the long run, United might possibly benefit from it or not but when it came to last night's game, it was a sub that did nothing to the club (not because of the player I have to precise but because of how late it was).
Guess it wasted time as that was a game we should've lost and it would've been 4 losses in our last 5 games, that's relegation form.

Always good to see a young kid make there debut. As has been said above I would like to see some minutes for Hannibal, Shoretire and some of the rest of the youth team for the last three games.
Not all at once obviously before anyone jumps down my throat but give them 15-20 minute cameos to see what they are made of.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You make all valid points tbh. At the same time, can't stop to just wonder what was the point of his late late sub. It helps no one IMHO
Easing him into the set-up, slowly shedding his nerves away. Plus its probably a reward for working hard in training.

Its nothing unusual about it -- Fergie did it all the time.

lsd

The Oracle

Does it though? I mean maybe it does but would he not be frustrated he didn't get a chance to do anything and could have had a few minutes more?

kouroux

Easing him into the set-up, slowly shedding his nerves away. Plus its probably a reward for working hard in training.

Its nothing unusual about it -- Fergie did it all the time.
I meant from a "team wanting to win" perspective. Of course giving him time is great, doing it in added time is pointless to me

kouroux

Does it though? I mean maybe it does but would he not be frustrated he didn't get a chance to do anything and could have had a few minutes more?
I supposed he was happy judging from his post. I don't see how 10 mins instead of 2-3 mins wasn't better

NoPace

It's just amusing to see the juxtaposition between the fully fledged first teamer Anthony Elanga and the young and learnin' Hannibal, Shoretire etc.
Elanga is our best winger defensively I think. Easier to play a guy like that than a youngster who doesn't have the physicality to defend at all yet when we're not exactly dominating games.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

Very true.
So many posters ready to pull the plug on some of these youngsters before they've had the chance to get much experience in the first team.
Elanga has done reasonably well, without pulling up trees, but when you put these youngsters in a possibly toxic dressing room, in a team which patently doesn't function well, they will struggle. Probably the same with Hannibal, Fernandez etc. Although I would love to see these lads get some minutes before the end of the season, I'm not sure how good it would be for their development. The ideal would be that most of them get top loans next season, ready to come back to the squad at the start of the following season, and put in their claim, even then, some will still need another loan before they're ready.
I think some posters just want to have a go at the club in any way they can, without any constructive ideas or thoughts, saying that this player or that player is crap and should be gone is probably the easiest thing to do for some to do, as they don't have to use any part of their brain to think.

Remember the geese

Elanga is our best winger defensively I think. Easier to play a guy like that than a youngster who doesn't have the physicality to defend at all yet when we're not exactly dominating games.
Yeah, I agree with your reasoning. He is actually decent in the air too, which is useful and not something you would expect. His pace is a good asset, but we don't get the opportunity to see it very often. It would be easy for the casual fan to think he is our best young talent, based purely on him being a starter for United. However, the actual disparity between him and others isn't what it would seem.

NoPace

Yeah, I agree with your reasoning. He is actually decent in the air too, which is useful and not something you would expect. His pace is a good asset, but we don't get the opportunity to see it very often. It would be easy for the casual fan to think he is our best young talent, based purely on him being a starter for United. However, the actual disparity between him and others isn't what it would seem.
I like the kid, and we'll see what role ETH likes for him, but my gut feeling (as I've said before) is great career for Sweden because he can defend and be a threat on the counter which is perfect for their 4-4-2 with Isak and Kulusevski up top so he'll get moves but, not sure he's quite shifty enough or great on the ball to really be a top attacker for us from what I've seen.

I think if he gets passed by Pellistri or Amad under ETH they'll be a ton of attention for him. Reliable, pacey wide players are catnip for teams that defend and counter in the mid-table.

ash_86

Great game from him. Has that little bit extra quality that elevates him from the rest. Excellently taken second goal.

L1nk

Will be 18 by the start of the new season, i'd honestly keep him in the squad as someone who could make a potential impact from the bench, play him during cup matches and such. Get him to maybe bulk up a little bit during the summer.

MDFC Manager

Seems like he's got the drive to go along with the obvious talent. Let's see what he makes of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.