Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Although Januzaj has shown a lot of potential during his breakthrough year, I’ve always thought he was quite over hyped back then, he was sort of headless chicken if we judge him on normal standard, just that he was still young and learning most of us fans would thought it’s normal traits of young players and would improve when he mature.
Januzaj his first couple of months was very different to how he changed as the season went on. That Norwich league Cup game he looked like a young Cruyff in my eyes :lol: Graceful and smooth on the ball, fast, great dribbling and passing, and looked very intelligent too. Then Moyes just trained him to be a kick and run merchant winger essentially. He's a prime example of an excellent talent being wasted very quickly and developing the wrong way.

OrcaFat

In my opinion greenwood was levels above his peers in the academy but he never has higher ceiling than that. After 4 years I am sure you will see same greenwood and teams can relatively easily block him.

Garnacho on the other hand seems to have far higher ceiling. Depends how he will be coached but I have high expectations from him.
Greenwood was better than you are making out there. He would have been very special. Garnacho too, let’s hope he develops and has a longer career.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Agreed. I had high expectations for Elanga based on his performances at youth level but kid was in a sinking ship, performances slowly dipped as did everyone else. But none -including Garnacho - were as good as Greenwood. The only other academy player I had pegged to be as good as MG was Laird, hopefully he'll show it. Was very unfortunate to get injured at the time he did.

Hoping Garnacho is given opportunities this season though at first team level.
Me too. I've still not given up hope with Elanga though, I think he's definitely one who'd benefit from a loan. Also agreed on the Laird comment, I thought he was incredible as an U18. Hopefully the injuries slowed his development rather than stagnated it but time will tell. Sounds like he's got another opportunity to prove himself out on loan next season.

Man-P

Gave 2 fantastic balls to the RW, which happened to be Chong... but in a real game will probably be Sancho. Greenwood would've shot both times, though he might have scored one of them.
Greenwood would have scored both. He is too talented.

Mr PG

I said halfway through last season that Garnacho and Zidane Iqbal and James Garner should be in the first team and I’m glad a more conscientious manager has done his homework better than the last 2.

I think this season James Garner can be our right back against better opponents as I don’t trust Dalot’s defending even though he has improved.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
We have a special talent here, hope he gets games to keep him focussed on our first team rather than being stolen by another and that he also gets time to keep developing.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I said halfway through last season that Garnacho and Zidane Iqbal and James Garner should be in the first team and I’m glad a more conscientious manager has done his homework better than the last 2.

I think this season James Garner can be our right back against better opponents as I don’t trust Dalot’s defending even though he has improved.
That's a big call! What have you seen to think he'd suit RB against the best teams?

Alemar

Don't want him loaned out, clearly needs to be kept with the team
Of course, he is arguably our 5th attacker in the pecking order already (with the first four including Ronaldo).

Sancho, Rashford, Martial and Ronaldo (if he stays) will play a lot, but Garnacho is one of the first subs in attack, he will have a lot of game time this year

Trequarista10

Interesting call. It may well work if with Garner as inverted RB. Added bonus he can pick a great pass when he has time and space, which he'll be afforded more of at RB. Defensively though it's a different challenge coming up against pacey, skillful dribblers who can make even an excellent full back look foolish on occasion.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He would be a good option to bring on when the opposition is tiring and he can be our impact player then.

Red00012

Don’t forget Fred as a LB

mctrials23

Garnacho looked quality from the game the other day. Great turn of pace. Direct and not greedy. Hopefully he will give us a quality option on the wings and backup if Sancho gets injured because we will struggle otherwise.

Cypriot

Garnacho looked quality from the game the other day. Great turn of pace. Direct and not greedy. Hopefully he will give us a quality option on the wings and backup if Sancho gets injured because we will struggle otherwise.
I noticed this too. Great performance and also selfless when a teammate is in a better position. Can't wait to see him a bit more.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Dribbling and acceleration give the glimpse of young ronaldo. Raw yet incredible talent.
I went to the semi and final of the youth cup. I’d watched highlights and felt quite a few of them had a shot but Garnacho maybe closer (though if Mainoo progresses, he’ll be a beast in a couple of years).

When you watch him live (and he got some stick in the last three rounds, Wolves and Forest big lads (Forest RB looks a potential star)) you see his ability but also his mental strength/confidence. That penalty… FA Youth Cup Final, 60k+, to win it (at the time)… grande cajones.

You rarely know with a teenager (Giggs, Rooney a couple of exceptions) but he’s got a real chance.

Tony247

I went to the semi and final of the youth cup. I’d watched highlights and felt quite a few of them had a shot but Garnacho maybe closer (though if Mainoo progresses, he’ll be a beast in a couple of years).

When you watch him live (and he got some stick in the last three rounds, Wolves and Forest big lads (Forest RB looks a potential star)) you see his ability but also his mental strength/confidence. That penalty… FA Youth Cup Final, 60k+, to win it (at the time)… grande cajones.

You rarely know with a teenager (Giggs, Rooney a couple of exceptions) but he’s got a real chance.
Thanks for the details. I like what I saw the other day and even physically he seems ready. Hope he does well in future.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Thanks for the details. I like what I saw the other day and even physically he seems ready. Hope he does well in future.
He’s not a first team starting XI but if he carries on as he has and listens, he could be.

The question will be whether Ten Hag thinks more minutes on loan is better for him. Personally, if he gets 10 starts (all comps) plus 10-20 sub appearances, I think he’d get more development by staying, not forgetting he’d be training with the first team squad and first hand ETH coaching. And it’s not like we’re blessed with front three squad depth? (Pellistri could be another shout too).

(YouTube his goal v Everton reserves … good goal and funny to watch the Everton lad trying to track him :) )

Im quite looking forward to next 2-3 years. Happily give ETH time if seeing progress, maybe needs a trophy in two years, proper challenge for something serious in three.

Erics_Collar

Is his contract up in July next year?

If so, why have we let it get to this stage, hasn't he been highly rated for some time now?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If so, why have we let it get to this stage, hasn't he been highly rated for some time now?
You can't sign long term contracts at a young age.

flappyjay

Can't sign a long term contract until you are 18 I think. That's why Pogba left as back then, why Chelsea are paying cho 100k plus and musiala left them for Bayern.

Alemar

Given Martial injury, Garnacho may well start against Brighton (with Rashford up top)

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Given Martial injury, Garnacho may well start against Brighton (with Rashford up top)
Sancho is fit and recovered from illness so surely it would be Rashford up top with Sancho and either Elanga or Bruno on the wing (He played Bruno wide in pre season) and Erikson/ Bruno in 10

I'd like to see Garnacho but you don't start him first game of the season when your team is on the spotlight, if we are 2 up by HT and doing well, bring the lad on

Skills

Snitch
He certainly hasn't done his chances any harm with his performance on the weekend. It's whats so good about having a relatively compact squad - more opportunities for youth.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sure ETH will have him in the squad again, could be a game changer bringing him on at 70 mins or so with his pace and drive.

AndySmith1990

With Martial injured we may as well start this lad on the left, Rashford up front and Sancho on the right.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Definite bench option. Can't see EtH gambling on him from the start though.

Alemar

Definite bench option. Can't see EtH gambling on him from the start though.
I can very easily see this, and it won’t be a gamble at all: he is the best option we have if Rashford plays CF.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I can very easily see this, and it won’t be a gamble at all: he is the best option we have if Rashford plays CF.
Playing a youngster for the first time is almost always a gamble, that's why the majority are eased into action in League Cup and Europa League games. First league game of the season under a new manager who's desperate to dispel the storm clouds, it's highly unlikely a kid is going to be thrown into the mix. No matter how talented.

Smores

A youngster with no experience and Rashford in a position he's looked awful in. Definitely a gamble.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Him starting would be about the only thing that would get me excited for the game this weekend. Come on ETH, don't pick Elanga over this guy.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Him starting would be about the only thing that would get me excited for the game this weekend. Come on ETH, don't pick Elanga over this guy.
If you can't get excited for the first match of the season with a new coach, who's one of the most promising about, United or football is maybe not for you

Superunknown

It's risky to start him in the sense of the blowback he and ETH could get if he doesn't perform all that well, or if we get a disappointing result, or both of those scenarios at the same time. Not a wise thing to shatter a young (and promising) player's confidence by throwing them in when we're desperate, especially with a pretty otherwise meh-looking attack anyway. If we had 10 other world class players on the pitch who he can gain confidence from, then it's a different scenario.

I'll trust ETH's judgement on this. He's got a big decision to make already.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’d rather see him start instead of playing Bruno there and lose the balance a natural wide forward gives. If he fails we know he is failed, we’ll never know if he is not tried.
Bruno or anyone else would be a risk as well because it’s not their natural position.

Last edited:

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
If you can't get excited for the first match of the season with a new coach, who's one of the most promising about, United or football is maybe not for you
Our predicted line up tweeted yesterday (prior to Martial being out) was DDG, Dalot, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Sancho. If you can get excited by that you’re a better man than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.