Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When’s he due back from injury? Will help us with the last push towards the end of the season.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It's an interesting one. The most recent U20 world cup was in 2019 and players like Darwin Nunez and Erling Haaland featured, but they were playing for clubs like Molde and Almeria. Araujo was there too but he'd only played 2 games for Barcelona that season. Julian Alvarez was playing but again he was at River Plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup

Looks like the last tournament did have some good players in it, but I don't think any of them were at the level of seniority Garnacho is for such a big club (with a cup final to play!)
I’d like to believe he is still classed a youth player by Argentina and he is yet to be a regular full international.
National Federations also have a responsibility to their own nation. Argentine have a few players in top clubs and they will all be at this World Cup. They rate this generation highly and winning it whilst current senior champions is quite an important statement for them to make.

InfiniteBoredom

FA Cup final. All hands on deck needed. No kiddie games.
A well run club shouldn’t force a player to miss out on a whole tournament with his NT just for a domestic cup final that he will most likely, at best, be a sub, and the player shouldn’t feel guilty for going on duty.

If we were still in the EL and play every 3 days, then yeah, his presence is needed, but with players coming back and 1 game a week (soon), we can manage.

led_scholes

If he declines to go he will probably be considered personal non grata after. He already got all off stick because he posted a Pic of Ronaldo with a goat.

led_scholes

Rooney was smoking, drinking, eating bags of chips and getting up to all sorts of other shenanigans. For a long time, nobody really gave a shit, because when it came to the games he produced.

If Garnacho does the same, he can vape for the next 10 years and I doubt too many will be bothered if he does the business on the pitch.
And because of that lifestyle we were paying him millions for 4 years even though he was a championship player by 29.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is bullshit. A youth WC when he's playing first team football for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Absolute nonsense.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sounds like he's gotta go. It'll reduce his chances of making it here a bit but not going would reduce his chances as a future Argentina player a lot more, I think.

IFC 1905

It's an interesting one. The most recent U20 world cup was in 2019 and players like Darwin Nunez and Erling Haaland featured, but they were playing for clubs like Molde and Almeria. Araujo was there too but he'd only played 2 games for Barcelona that season. Julian Alvarez was playing but again he was at River Plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup

Looks like the last tournament did have some good players in it, but I don't think any of them were at the level of seniority Garnacho is for such a big club (with a cup final to play!)

Messi himself had a conflict in Barcelona to go to the 2008 Olympics. Other argentinian players called are

- Matias Soule (Juventus)
- Facundo Buonanotte (Brighton)
- Nicolas Paz (Real Madrid B)
- Luka Romero (Lazio)

apart from the youngsters playing in Argentina (Federico Redondo, Valentin Barco)

mav_9me

Messi himself had a conflict in Barcelona to go to the 2008 Olympics. Other argentinian players called are

- Matias Soule (Juventus)
- Facundo Buonanotte (Brighton)
- Nicolas Paz (Real Madrid B)
- Luka Romero (Lazio)

apart from the youngsters playing in Argentina (Federico Redondo, Valentin Barco)
Surely Olympics are different?

Strootman's Finger

This is why I am always reluctant to sign Brazilians and Argentinians, their loyalties are elsewhere. And the worst part is, he's not even Argentinian.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Tbf a trophy with Argentina is more valuable than an FA cup. It is bad for us but he is right to go.
It's the under 20 world cup, pretty much all the best under 20 players in the world don't even play in it.

It's basically a reserve tournament hence why they let it overlap with the season in the first place, and also why they were trying to scrap a couple of years back.

Bertie Wooster

Annoying timing to host the U20 World Cup in May when, due to the Winter World Cup, European leagues are still going on. I'm sure there's a good few U20 year olds facing a similar dilemma to Garnacho.

The extra temptation for Garnacho to choose the tournament are that it's being held in Argentina, and that he could well feel, with being Spanish born and raised, it won't look good commitment to Argentina if he turns it down to prioritise club commitments?

Bigger picture, it'll be great experience for him and will stand him in good stead. But, short term, frustrating to lose another player for big games.

Stadjer

He likely be a bench option for the FA Cup against Manchester City. City is also the clear favorite in the game so he might just sit on the bench in a lost final. He can play for his country, will likely be a starter and might actually win the tournament (No idea what the chances of Argentina winning are). Argentina won the World Cup so i assume playing for any form of the national team is a big thing right now.

It sucks but it is understandable that he chooses to play for Argentina.

SAFMUTD

I'm actually worried he hasn't signed the new contract. With all that flirting with Madrid, if he's not allowed to go to the U-20 world cup (which he shouldn't be) it's going to create tension between the club and him. Possibly affecting the whole new contract situation.

the_cliff

I'm actually worried he hasn't signed the new contract. With all that flirting with Madrid, if he's not allowed to go to the U-20 world cup (which he shouldn't be) it's going to create tension between the club and him. Possibly affecting the whole new contract situation.
Madrid are going through something similar right now with Nico Paz, they don't want him to go because their B team has a chance at promotion.

zaafi

He is not going to displace Vini Jr so unless he wants to be on the bench most of the time for many years ahead, he's not going to Real Madrid.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is bullshit. A youth WC when he's playing first team football for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Absolute nonsense.
Think Messi was 18 when he won the youth World Cup and player of the tournament for Argentina. Not bad foot steps for him to follow in.

Rightnr

Think Messi was 18 when he won the youth World Cup and player of the tournament for Argentina. Not bad foot steps for him to follow in.
Problem being this guy was our matchwinner (put it on a plate for Rashford) against City and with him gone, our options are massively limited especially when we inevitably have to defend for our lives.

Hoping Argentina lose ASAP.

Rightnr

Happy to see we're not letting him go. Hopefully we won't fold last minute.

[Gastón Edul] Manchester United remains adamant in not letting Alejandro Garnacho go (to U20 WC). Mascherano already spoke with the club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He likely be a bench option for the FA Cup against Manchester City. City is also the clear favorite in the game so he might just sit on the bench in a lost final.
He quite literally came on against Man City and assisted the match winner in our last game vs them. He will almost certainly play a part. He is our first choice attacking sub whenever he is fit

Rightnr

As I said above, shitty timing to be picking a fight with him.
It's not though. Argentina didn't even get to this event properly, they got in because they were given hosting rights last-minute.

Also, apparently if he plays the FA Cup final, he'd miss one group stage game, so seems like a compromise is possible (not sure if this info is correct though).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not though. Argentina didn't even get to this event properly, they got in because they were given hosting rights last-minute.

Also, apparently if he plays the FA Cup final, he'd miss one group stage game, so seems like a compromise is possible (not sure if this info is correct though).
Shitty timing because we’re trying to convince him to sign a long term contract.

RuudTom83

Would be good for him to get a full tournament with the national side tbh.

I don't see the need to create any drama.

Rightnr

Shitty timing because we’re trying to convince him to sign a long term contract.
Yeah, very much aware but we cannot be pussyfooting around these players too much. Imagine he decides to go to Madrid in a couple of years, he'll expect us to bend over again.

Would be good for him to get a full tournament with the national side tbh.

I don't see the need to create any drama.
Yeah, just a small matter of stopping our rivals from equaling our treble. No need for drama.

Strootman's Finger

I really like Garnacho, I have high hopes for him and look forward to watching his career develop.

Having said that, people worried that he might be upset about not going to the u-20 WC and would want to leave. Let me remind people of another youth player who had that attitude, he didn't get his way as a youth player and left to greener pastures. Then we decided to correct our mistake from the past and brought him back. Now ask yourself, when that player returned, did he have an elite, winning mentality and contribute to our success, or did he have the mentality of someone who would throw their toys out of the pram if they don't get their way and turned out to be a massive flop.

I hope and believe Garnacho will succeed, but should it turn out that the decision to block him going to the u20 WC makes him want to leave United, maybe he never had the right attitude and commitment.

RuudTom83

Yeah, just a small matter of stopping our rivals from equaling our treble. No need for drama.
Fack! thanks for reminding me...the fate of the entire club rests on the shoulders of a 18 year old! who won't even start if Rashford is fit...everyone panic! ;)

Joking aside I take your point, I just don't think its a big deal if he goes to the WC instead...as long as he is playing football and gaining experience that's all that matters at this stage of his career.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I really like Garnacho, I have high hopes for him and look forward to watching his career develop.

Having said that, people worried that he might be upset about not going to the u-20 WC and would want to leave. Let me remind people of another youth player who had that attitude, he didn't get his way as a youth player and left to greener pastures. Then we decided to correct our mistake from the past and brought him back. Now ask yourself, when that player returned, did he have an elite, winning mentality and contribute to our success, or did he have the mentality of someone who would throw their toys out of the pram if they don't get their way and turned out to be a massive flop.

I hope and believe Garnacho will succeed, but should it turn out that the decision to block him going to the u20 WC makes him want to leave United, maybe he never had the right attitude and commitment.
I'm not a fan of Heaton either but I don't think it's that we over-indulged him that led him to be this way.

Even if he wants to stay and play in the cup final, he would probably prefer that United are the bad guys in Argentina (for not releasing him) rather than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.