2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

saik

Aye. We've got a much bigger sample size of Rashford not being decisive in the final third whilst offering less off the ball. So there is no reason not to give Garnacho another start in a pressure match (which every game will be from now on).

I think he'll be well served by having Mejbri and Antony there with him behind Rasmus. Ideally with a midfield two containing Mainoo.
Go and see my posts in Rashford's thread mate. I'm advocating him to be sold. :lol:

I'm all for giving Garnacho starts. Maybe it didn't come off that way in my earlier posts. I want Garnacho to match his substitute performances when he starts as well. That is all. This whole season I have been on the drop Rashford and Bruno train so I'd like to see Mejbri starting as well.

jesperjaap

Like I said elsewhere, this is going to be held against him forever. For a player his age two matches is not a definitive sample size in making the determination that he's "better as a sub".

Mad.
Completely agree, on the other side of the coin, people sayng he must wonder what he has to do to start ahead of Rashford....the answer is take his opporunities when he does start, only two games but he was very poor in both, he is yong and obviously deserves more opportunities to start, especially with RAshford beign so poor....but he has to take them as well

Fahad Jawaid

He is a good promising player, but I feel he should never be in a position to be our savior. He should be the player to be brought on once the defenders are tired and he will help us get number 3rd or 4th goal.

Its actually very concerning that most of the time we are banking on 20 year old striker and 18/19 year old winger to be our savior.

Irwin99

Like I said elsewhere, this is going to be held against him forever. For a player his age two matches is not a definitive sample size in making the determination that he's "better as a sub".

Mad.
It's not going to be held against him forever at all, it's just an explanation as to why we need to be cautious about expectations. I would say he deserves a start but there's always a chance he might not take it because hes still young and learning.

EtH gets a lot of criticism for sticking with Bruno and Rashford and some of that is correct, but from his perspective they did score virtually half of our goals last season and were the only two players to hit double figures in a team that constantly struggles to score goals. It's a tough call for him, although you might argue he should be buying better goalscorers with his transfer budget.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Did very well when he came on. He always keep going at his fullback and when we have a lot of possession late in games, he’s bound to create. I’m happy for him to be coming off the bench for now. But rashford needs to up his game already.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Mad.
Aye. We've got a much bigger sample size of Rashford not being decisive in the final third whilst offering less off the ball. So there is no reason not to give Garnacho another start in a pressure match (which every game will be from now on).

I think he'll be well served by having Mejbri and Antony there with him behind Rasmus. Ideally with a midfield two containing Mainoo.
Two very good posts.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ain’t gonna stick around if he’s just a bench player. Eventually he’ll become to good for that role. Especially when the likes of Rashford keep underperforming. Think 1 of the Spanish clubs may come knocking.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Go and see my posts in Rashford's thread mate. I'm advocating him to be sold. :lol:

I'm all for giving Garnacho starts. Maybe it didn't come off that way in my earlier posts. I want Garnacho to match his substitute performances when he starts as well. That is all. This whole season I have been on the drop Rashford and Bruno train so I'd like to see Mejbri starting as well.
I wasn't having a go at you in particular. I just keep seeing the same thing (and hearing it on podcasts) that Garnacho doesn't work as a starter because of the two matches where he started and didn't play well (nor did the whole team btw) and I think it's shortsighted. Also, I'm not in the camp of wanting to sell Rashford (not unless he reverts to before last season's form anyway) as I think he's a great weapon to have but he cannot be untouchable and he'll need to earn his place by working hard off the ball. I'm less down on him for his decision making in the final third, it'll come as soon as the team starts gelling a bit better (as well as knowing he's not untouchable, similar to Shaw).

Rinnegan240

That Garnacho reverse drive at the byline and cutback is cash money. It is looking like his own cheat code and could be his signature move.

Assisted Rashford with similar against City last year for the comeback.

I like having a winger who keeps trying to get the ball into the box regardless of how saturated the box looks. Sometimes chaos is the best goal creation machine.

saik

I wasn't having a go at you in particular. I just keep seeing the same thing (and hearing it on podcasts) that Garnacho doesn't work as a starter because of the two matches where he started and didn't play well (nor did the whole team btw) and I think it's shortsighted. Also, I'm not in the camp of wanting to sell Rashford (not unless he reverts to before last season's form anyway) as I think he's a great weapon to have but he cannot be untouchable and he'll need to earn his place by working hard off the ball. I'm less down on him for his decision making in the final third, it'll come as soon as the team starts gelling a bit better (as well as knowing he's not untouchable, similar to Shaw).
Rashford can only be dangerous when he has lots of space to attack. Same with Bruno. When teams sit deep like today they ain't much threat. We will always be a counterattacking team as long as these two are in the team.

I believe Garnacho has the potential to be better than Rashford. I really hope he fulfills it.

El Jefe

The biggest difference between him and Rashford is Garnacho's willingness to put balls into the box early with his left foot.

Rashford creates space on the outside when he beats his man but 9/10 will check back onto his right and of course that gives the defence more time to get into position to block the pass or shot.

The winner than Garnacho set up last season vs City at home is a good example, the quick turn and left foot cross was so early City's players couldn't react quick enough. It was the same with Mctominay's first goal, it was a hopeful ball but it was quick and unsettled Burnley's back line.

Rashford will beat two or three players and it will end up amounting to a blocked shot or cross which helps no one.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Rashford can only be dangerous when he has lots of space to attack. Same with Bruno. When teams sit deep like today they ain't much threat. We will always be a counterattacking team as long as these two are in the team.

I believe Garnacho has the potential to be better than Rashford. I really hope he fulfills it.
When the team is playing like it is now, sure. If and when we get gelling like I said, with a much quicker tempo and movement to our passing game (we see it in spells) Rashford will get into matches. I also believe he can add to his game, I hope and think he has the humility to do so. I don't see him as a problem, I see him being a guaranteed starter as a problem.

The Hilton

One huge difference I've noticed with Garnacho since his starts at the beginning of the season is his willingness to press and track runners. The last few appearances he's had, he's put a much better shift in, even today he chased his full back the full length of the pitch when against Wolves and Spurs he wasn't doing that.

That improvement in application, plus the danger he's brought off the bench, should see him get starts pretty soon.

saik

When the team is playing like it is now, sure. If and when we get gelling like I said, with a much quicker tempo and movement to our passing game (we see it in spells) Rashford will get into matches. I also believe he can add to his game, I hope and think he has the humility to do so. I don't see him as a problem, I see him being a guaranteed starter as a problem.
I hope so too but he's going to be 26 soon and his game has remained more or less the same for his entire career so far. I thought after the season he had last year, this is going to be the season he really kicks on and it hasn't happened at all. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening. Anyways, Garnacho needs to start few games now and Rashford along with Bruno needs to warm the bench.

I can't believe I'm saying this after how much I criticised the Mount signing but I prefer him over Bruno in that no.10 position.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope so too but he's going to be 26 soon and his game has remained more or less the same for his entire career so far. I thought after the season he had last year, this is going to be the season he really kicks on and it hasn't happened at all. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on it happening. Anyways, Garnacho needs to start few games now and Rashford along with Bruno needs to warm the bench.

I can't believe I'm saying this after how much I criticised the Mount signing but I prefer him over Bruno in that no.10 position.
I was against the signing at the time but he looks a player to me. And he looks more tactically suited to ETH than Bruno. Both can be quite useful though, but not in the same midfield I don't think.

My dream lineup would be

----------------------------------------------Rasmus
Garnacho-----------------------------Mount-------------------------Antony
----------------------------Mejbri------------------Mainoo
Shaw--------------Martinez---------------------Varane---------
----------------------------------------Onana

Not sure about right back, I might also be guilty of overhyping Mainoo but he looked immaculate against Arsenal in pre-season. I'd like to see Mejbri and Mount swap roles throughout a match and they both have an engine. Amrabat is likely an improvement on Casemiro in terms of mobility, but I don't think he's that mobile. Hopefully it is just getting up to speed after the injury and lack of pre-season, but still.

To me that looks like a very energetic team that can play a relentless pressing game, it has players who can shield the ball but it does lack some physicality.

OrcaFat

He shows signs of being good enough.

We have a lot of problems at the moment, at both ends of the pitch. Right now I would be joyously delighted with a clean sheet. But to win matches we have to score. When you score goals you tend to concede fewer as well.

Hojlund is raw but looks the part. I think he’ll be a top CF in the Drogba mould. 15+ league goals a season and causing havoc everywhere. Let’s say he gets 18 goals, we’ll need about 65-70 goals from the rest of the team. Realistically, the likes of Garnacho, Antony, Rashford and Martial (for as long as he’s here) will need to get the best part of 45 league goals between them. That still leaves 20-25 to be scored by the rest.

I worry that our front players, as a group and certainly individuals within that group are nowhere close to delivering enough goals. We know Rashford can hit purple patches but it’s not enough. There’s not enough out-and-out attacking talent in the squad.

Garnacho needs to deliver 10-12 league goals and a load of assists. Perhaps he will. He’s very talented but I don’t know if he can produce the numbers we need.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Deserves a long run in first team. He has earned it and its not like we have too many options.

OrcaFat

He should have gotten the no. 7 shirt as well. What a prospect.
I think he has quite a long way to go. I posted earlier, he needs to be scoring at least 10 league goals and, albeit he hasn’t played many matches, I doubt he gets more than about five or six this season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
same with Antony on the RW.

We look far More balanced with those 2 instead of Rashford and Bruno.
Agreed. Garnacho and Antony are good dribbler with good pace that provide width. And they both work hard also.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Deserves a long run in first team. He has earned it and its not like we have too many options.
Issue is he's often a bit rubbish when he starts... definitely think he should be starting more games though, but I do like him off the bench (its seemingly when he does his best work) - needs to be introduced earlier though, around the 55/60 minute mark.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am starting to get annoyed with ETH persistence of starting out of form Rashford all the time. I get that Rashford is his favourite and could win us games when he is on form while Garnacho wasn’t good in his previous starts, but I think Garnacho deserves more start at the moment, we shouldn’t sacrifice his playing time otherwise we might end up with another unhappy player wanting out in future.

RuudTom83

8 games played in the league so far - Garnacho has played in 6 of them and started in 2.

His minutes are totally fine for a 19 year old.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
8 games played in the league so far - Garnacho has played in 6 of them and started in 2.

His minutes are totally fine for a 19 year old.
That’s 232 mins which is equivalent to 2.5 games, out of 8 games played.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I am starting to get annoyed with ETH persistence of starting out of form Rashford all the time. I get that Rashford is his favourite and could win us games when he is on form while Garnacho wasn’t good in his previous starts, but I think Garnacho deserves more start at the moment, we shouldn’t sacrifice his playing time otherwise we might end up with another unhappy player wanting out in future.
I mean, it's definitely heading towards Rashford not starting. Rashford would play the full 90 usually, regardless of how poor he was playing and now he's getting hauled off pretty early. Rashford has a lot of credit in the bank and rightly so, but he's running out of it with his current form and even Erik is starting to show signs that's the case.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Issue is he's often a bit rubbish when he starts... definitely think he should be starting more games though, but I do like him off the bench (its seemingly when he does his best work) - needs to be introduced earlier though, around the 55/60 minute mark.
Dont agree as sample size is way too small to conclude that.
His overall game has improved significantly. His performances as substitute is also quite different from last season performances.
Young players will make mistakes and Garnacho is a talent that should be backed. Just like Rashford was backed

OrcaFat

Yes, I agree with this, word for word.

OrcaFat

Dont agree as sample size is way too small to conclude that.
His overall game has improved significantly. His performances as substitute is also quite different from last season performances.
Young players will make mistakes and Garnacho is a talent that should be backed. Just like Rashford was backed
Yeah but purely talking about the actual games when he has started, he hasn’t been as effective as when he has come on as a sub.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think they should both be starting. Rashford has been a little off this season but he constantly looks our most dangerous player, it just hasn’t clicked for him in the final moments. I would be starting Rashford and Garnacho either side of Hojlund to stretch defences with their pace, having the right sided player stay wider and go more on the outside to give us more width. Then I would have them switch it up during the game.

Remember the geese

I think they should both be starting. Rashford has been a little off this season but he constantly looks our most dangerous player, it just hasn’t clicked for him in the final moments. I would be starting Rashford and Garnacho either side of Hojlund to stretch defences with their pace, having the right sided player stay wider and go more on the outside to give us more width. Then I would have them switch it up during the game.
Neither of them are very good on the right though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Neither of them are very good on the right though.
Floating roles. Mixing it up.

When we won the CL in 2008 we had a front three of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tévez. You wouldn’t really call any of those proper right wingers. They had fluidity. This fixed positional system is holding us back when it comes to the players at our disposal currently.

What’s important is the link up play, the work rate, the movement, the understanding, and the ability to break at pace. Right now we are prosaic and predictable.

OrcaFat

Yeah I wouldn’t be averse to this. I still think a little bench time would do Rashford some good as he has often rediscovered his form coming on as sub.

Marwood

Floating roles. Mixing it up.

When we won the CL in 2008 we had a front three of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tévez. You wouldn’t really call any of those proper right wingers. They had fluidity. This fixed positional system is holding us back when it comes to the players at our disposal currently.

What’s important is the link up play, the work rate, the movement, the understanding, and the ability to break at pace. Right now we are prosaic and predictable.
Generally speaking though players have positions and the best teams keep their players in the position that suits them best.

Even Rooney and Ronaldo, eventually they settled on a specific role.

Liverpool don't have Salah moving around all over the place. Arsenal don't have Martinelli and Saka switching around.

I've always argued against "fluid" styles. Bit of a meaningless buzzword to me. It doesn't really exist in reality.