2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

El Jefe

Antony and Hojlund always get stick whenever they perform poorly but Garnacho always seems to get away with it.

He’s just as much of a problem as the other two in his own way.

We need a new left winger in the summer desperately.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Antony and Hojlund always get stick whenever they perform poorly but Garnacho always seems to get away with it.

One of them cost us 80m, another cost us 64m and the other one is a teenager who came through our academy. The price tag isn't the player's fault, however there is a level of expectation that comes with big money signings that isn't there for academy lads.

Also, we've seen Garnacho have several good games for United. We've barely seen anything from the other two.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Garnacho is 4 years younger and didn’t cost us an arm and leg. I wouldn’t have much of an issue with Antony if he was backup. The problem is our decision to spend 80m on him.

I do agree that we need a new LW. Honestly I’d sell Rashford and bring a replacement in. Then again, I’d bring in a new front three if I could.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Shame about the chance he had with Trent pulling a world class tackle from behind :(

AFC NimbleThumb

I said it after the overhead kick & nothing has changed.

If the current iteration of Garnacho is, a team of United's size, starting LW there is a serious issue of quality.

The boy is talented but has yet to show he can string a meaningful number of ‘good’ performances together.

I understand we’re devoid of hope amongst the fanbase but I’ve never really caught on with the hype.

AFC NimbleThumb

Garnacho is 4 years younger and didn’t cost us an arm and leg. I wouldn’t have much of an issue with Antony if he was backup. The problem is our decision to spend 80m on him.

I do agree that we need a new LW. Honestly I’d sell Rashford and bring a replacement in. Then again, I’d bring in a new front three if I could.
By that logic Rashford, who you’d sell, should be given the keys to the City.

I get the unknown with Garnacho is enticing but didn’t cost an arm & leg sound a lot like the don’t sack EtH cause we’ve sacked other managers trope. Not particularly judging him on his own merits.

We should be looking to improve across the front 3 as a whole, it’s quite feasible the next time we are good none of our current attackers will be starring in that attack.

El Jefe

One of them cost us 80m, another cost us 64m and the other one is a teenager who came through our academy. The price tag isn't the player's fault, however there is a level of expectation that comes with big money signings that isn't there for academy lads.

Also, we've seen Garnacho have several good games for United. We've barely seen anything from the other two.
There are people quoting numbers of Garnacho being worth more than what those two cost so why is he held to such lower standards.

I get that he’s young and far from the final product but he can churn out five bad games in a row and it will be quiet as a mouse in here until he has the one good game and gets called a massive talent etc.

I’m looking at his qualities rather than just his goal and assist tally. He’s been pretty underwhelming in most of his starts in the PL and he’s been given a real run of games.

Mike Smalling

I said it after the overhead kick & nothing has changed.

If the current iteration of Garnacho is, a team of United's size, starting LW there is a serious issue of quality.

The boy is talented but has yet to show he can string a meaningful number of ‘good’ performances together.

I understand we’re devoid of hope amongst the fanbase but I’ve never really caught on with the hype.
This is a key point though. We are so low at the moment, that whenever some slight bit of hope appears it is completely overhyped - especially when it comes to young players. Garnacho will save us, Højlund will save us, Mainoo will save us, etc. It is totally unrealistic and unfair to these young players. They should all be squad options behind world class players, and be eased into the side with substitute appearances and starts in the cups. Instead we put the world on their shoulders, because we are so poor in every department.

Garnacho has talent and works hard, but he is a 19 year old winger in a dysfunctional team, just like Højlund is a 20 year old striker in a dysfunctional team, and Mainoo is 18 years old with a grand total of 8 first team appearances. Unless we get a better structure around these talents, they can't live up to the hype and the unfair expectations put on them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
By that logic Rashford, who you’d sell, should be given the keys to the City.

I get the unknown with Garnacho is enticing but didn’t cost an arm & leg sound a lot like the don’t sack EtH cause we’ve sacked other managers trope. Not particularly judging him on his own merits.

We should be looking to improve across the front 3 as a whole, it’s quite feasible the next time we are good none of our current attackers will be starring in that attack.
Rashford is 26, paid an enormous salary and refuses to runs. I agree that we should improve the entire front line but the bolded bit has no logic.

RuudTom83

Sometimes I wonder what era fans grew up watching...

Garnacho was completely fine yesterday, it is one of the hardest away games and none of the wingers on the pitch particularly shone. Diaz looked very one footed and was always trying to cut inside, he created nothing.
Garnacho worked hard and didn't stop, had one moment, that's football, games against rivals are usually very tight.

AFC NimbleThumb

Rashford is 26, paid an enormous salary and refuses to runs. I agree that we should improve the entire front line but the bolded bit has no logic.
It has as much if not more logic than saying a player can do feck all for multiple games in a row because he cost less than his underwhelming teammates & runs. This really doesn’t matter though, fact is he’s not good enough [currently] to be a starting LW for Manchester United football club him being ‘4 years younger and didn’t cost us an arm and leg.’ means nothing frankly.

I get the sentiment but for me Garnacho is in situ due to circumstance than actual performance so I judge him harshly, if Rashford, as you say ran round a bit more, he’d be on the bench.

El Jefe

It has as much if not more logic than saying a player can do feck all for multiple games in a row because he cost less than his underwhelming teammates & runs. This really doesn’t matter though, fact is he’s not good enough [currently] to be a starting LW for Manchester United football club him being ‘4 years younger and didn’t cost us an arm and leg.’ means nothing frankly.

I get the sentiment but for me Garnacho is in situ due to circumstance than actual performance so I judge him harshly, if Rashford, as you say ran round a bit more, he’d be on the bench.
This is where I’m at with it, we need to start calling things as they are or we end up in another Rashford situation where we inflate a players ability and ego and offer them an undeserved contract because they’re from the youth team.

I get the feeling on here people want to believe Garnacho is a future star. I assess things the opposite and I’m waiting for Garnacho to prove that. He’s had some really bad starts but they just fly under the radar.

I see him touted as a massive talent but what I see so far and potential wise is Theo Walcott with considerably less pace. Now that is still a good player of course but not the top talent some would have you believe he is.

satishunited

Hopefully he will improve with age, but as of now, he seems to really struggle to beat his man, especially against stronger/more physical defenders. On more positive note, he doesn't stop trying and with better midfielders who can find the right time to get him behind i am sure he will deliver.

lex talionis

We were defending for our lives yesterday and had virtually zero buildup play. Garnacho had one decent chance but ran himself adrift, but otherwise he stuck to the task and we got out of there with the point.

Rossa

Hopefully he will improve with age, but as of now, he seems to really struggle to beat his man, especially against stronger/more physical defenders. On more positive note, he doesn't stop trying and with better midfielders who can find the right time to get him behind i am sure he will deliver.
Noticed this as well. Normally he does fine against the TAA's of this world - when the ref didn't give a rat's arse about giving a free kick early in the game when TAA pushed Garnacho to the floor, it became harder for him. However, he does struggle when he comes up against someone faster and stronger than him. He needs to adapt to this as he isn't fast enough that he can rely on his pace. There are certain wingers that know they have the beating of defenders from pure pace, but he isn't there - most likely never will be.

Swiss_Red89

Have to admit that I really disliked his look during the warmup yesterday...

We just got knockout of the UCL by mighty Kopenhagen and Galatasaray after we lost 0:3 against Bournemouth at OT.
Is it really the time to show up with bling bling earrings on both ears during the warmup at Anfield?? You are not Cristiano Ronaldo.

It might be a detail, but it just shows the lack of Leadership in this Team/Club. Is there really nobody in there to tell a young guy to stop with such a behaviour when he is not ready yet to back it up with his performances on the pitch?

Borussia Teeth

Have to admit that I really disliked his look during the warmup yesterday...

We just got knockout of the UCL by mighty Kopenhagen and Galatasaray after we lost 0:3 against Bournemouth at OT.
Is it really the time to show up with bling bling earrings on both ears during the warmup at Anfield?? You are not Cristiano Ronaldo.

It might be a detail, but it just shows the lack of Leadership in this Team/Club. Is there really nobody in there to tell a young guy to stop with such a behaviour when he is not ready yet to back it up with his performances on the pitch?
Yawn

Remember the geese

Depends how highly you rate Martinelli I suppose, but he is always the guideline I have for Garnacho. I think he's matching that sort of trajectory at the moment.

Borussia Teeth

Depends how highly you rate Martinelli I suppose, but he is always the guideline I have for Garnacho. I think he's matching that sort of trajectory at the moment.
I rate Martinelli very highly and think that you've found a good comparison. I don't know the stats between Martinelli at 19 and Garnacho but I would be very happy if Garnacho could reach Martinelli's current level within the next couple of years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really interesting piece:

Twitter tacticos feel like they need a 2000 word essay to describe a 19 year old being inconsistent with end product and the need to single him out when he has been by a very big distance our best attacker this season.

It's like he's arguing with people who claim Garnacho is already world class. Which nobody is claiming. He's simply performing better than the others in our team and showing signs of a future top player so it's beneficial to play him and develop him both for now and the future compared to others. Same case as Mainoo.

Also, worrying about goals and comparing him to literal strikers/wide forwards when he's a winger. Dumb comparison. And then saying he's never been a good finished... He's had 1 year of being a senior footballer for fecks sake :lol:

Anything for the clicks though I guess. It's a shit opinion all the same.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Much like Mainoo, I'm worried this guy has a bit of it, but doesn't have enough of it. I don't think he's anywhere near as talented as Greenwood was. We can't hang our hats on youngsters who aren't out and out starlets, we'll never compete with City and Liverpool that way.

Ekeke

Should have scored. Young player etc of course, he's going to miss some and score others. But I think it was an important miss today when through on goal

Giggsyking

Send him back to the reservs, he is not good enough. This season, blown away tens of easy chances.

bosnian_red

If we’re honest he’s a big contributor to our lack of service.
The biggest contributor is garbage coaching and leaving individuals in attack with far too much to do, the few times they actually get the ball.

Easy to lose confidence when you only get 1 or 2 half chances a game as a team, so it's full pressure to put it away.

I refuse to blame the individuals out there. The managers coaching is pathetic and the main reason for this right now.

Augustus Gloop

Just too lightweight. You just know four times out of five the attack will break down when he receives the ball and looks to go forward.

el3mel

He was terrible but as I said before it's to be expected from youngsters at such age to be inconsistent. Nothing to hold against him.

Godfather

He's not that big of a talent many tend to believe. Might turn out a decent player but goes missing way too often

El Jefe

I’ve said it for the last few weeks he’s been delivering poor performances but you’ll barely see ten posts on here after it. He’s been getting away with it for months now and has been riding on the fact that he isn’t Rashford who was public enemy No.1 at the time of losing his place.

Before we know it we’ll be extending Garnacho’s contract offering him £300k a week in the hope of ‘potential’ and wondering why he’s not living up to it.

This club is so desperate to anoint players for doing the bare minimum. Garnacho is a good young talent and that’s about it, he should be far away from starting games for us.

lex talionis

Very poor today. Still a quality who doesn’t deserve the abuse he’s getting but he wasn’t at the races today.

united for life

Shocking today. His decision making was very poor, couldn’t dribble past anyone and i do not think he has a single successful cross.

bosnian_red

He's got one goal and one assist in the premier league this season. And he's supposed to have been in good form this season
Pointless to look at anyone's end product in seasons like this one when the managers system is actively restricting them.

El Zoido

He’s still young so should come in and out of the team. But since he’s one of the only players who’s done anything of note all season, he’s become overly important.

He’s getting a lot of stick for that chance he missed but for me, Antony played it in too late leaving Garnacho no time to set the shot. If he’d received the ball a stride earlier he’d have been able to open up the far corner.

Mike Smalling

Our problem is having to rely on players like Garnacho, because our supposed key players like Rashford are in piss poor form.

He didn't do well, and it's a problem that he has to do well for us to win. Sad state of affairs when it comes to the squad as a whole.