Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain | Set to miss the 2018/19 season

Triple.Threat

He is getting killed all over Liverpool forums. To be fair to him their manager thought he was a £40M footballer.

His dad was good. Is probably still better than him.
And they say Wenger hasn't done anything good for Arsenal in years..
Thank feck we spunked £35m on him this summer, instead of risking it and waiting 12 months to get the useless cnut for FREE.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
This guy is an England international, and has played for Arsenal and now Liverpool signed hin for 40 million pounds. This is exactly what's wrong with English football and English clubs, accepting mediocracy as long as it's English. Eibar had better players than Ox.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hold my hands up.. he was shit yesterday. No excuses.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
And that's a typical Ox game in the middle, nothing unusual at all to see there. At wingback where all he had to do was dribble and cross and not engage his brain too much he was actually pretty good. Sheer arrogance of the lad to think he was good enough to demand a CM spot at a top club.

IrishRedDevil

As useless as expected. If you actually watched him over the last few years then this is fairly standard, yet some people on here were calling it a good signing :houllier:

The Bloody-Nine

I was pretty surprised that Chelsea wanted him. You can at least make an argument that he might have been a good option at fullback, which is where Conte reportedly wanted him to play. Buying him to play in central midfield, though? Bizarre, and apparently what he was promised which persuaded him to sign. As far as I know he didn't support any team when he was a kid.

Last edited:

settembrini

And that's a typical Ox game in the middle, nothing unusual at all to see there. At wingback where all he had to do was dribble and cross and not engage his brain too much he was actually pretty good. Sheer arrogance of the lad to think he was good enough to demand a CM spot at a top club.
But he didn't play in the middle last night. He was on the wing. Again. Despite proving over and over and over again that he is complete rubbish in that position.

I feel bad for him tbh. He spent so many years stagnating at Arsenal because Wenger refused to accept he was a bad winger that his development has been irrevocably damaged. He's finally left and gone to Liverpool because he thinks he will be played centrally and what does Klopp do? Puts him on the wing.

Robbie Boy

It's great the way any shit player that can't nail down a position and has good athleticism can now be considered a viable full / wing back option.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
But he didn't play in the middle last night. He was on the wing. Again. Despite proving over and over and over again that he is complete rubbish in that position.

I feel bad for him tbh. He spent so many years stagnating at Arsenal because Wenger refused to accept he was a bad winger that his development has been irrevocably damaged. He's finally left and gone to Liverpool because he thinks he will be played centrally and what does Klopp do? Puts him on the wing.
Wenger was right ultimately though in terms of not moving him to CM, wing back is his best position. He's useful there and doesn't have even close to the quality required to play further up the wing like yesterday or centre mid.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Could've asked Arsenal for Mustafi instead for a similar amount.

He's not amazing but a better defender than Lovren/Klavan, and he wanted out.

Djemba-Djemba

The last 3 starts he's had, for Arsenal, then England and then last night for Liverpool he's been absolutely fecking appalling.

Worst player on the pitch level bad.

AndyJ1985

Can only assume a large reason for Chelsea wanting him was to help boost their homegrown quota.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

Ahh ok, well I only watched his highlights. The thing is he's much worse in the middle because of his poor decision making the wingback/fullback are his best positions. It's not Wenger's fault the lad hasn't got the intelligence to get his head up and pick out a simple pass.

You could argue he needs playing time to get this and he did look like he was lacking confidence last night. Ironically he would of got that playing time at wingback for either Arsenal or Chelsea.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
It's great the way any shit player that can't nail down a position and has good athleticism can now be considered a viable full / wing back option.
I don't know how true that is.

Atleast V Moses was familiar with the position as he played under Martinez at Wigan who regularly played 3 at the back with attacking wing backs -- so he probably had an easier time getting coached by Conte

Deleted member 101472

Klopp takes all the blame for this. He's bought him with assurances he'd be a central midfield player, most of those clips he's a right winger. Is that where he was for the whole game?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
:lol: Amazing.

I actually quite like the Ox, and thought he was looking great at RWB before we sold him. There was always an issue of having performances like this in him though, where he just loses his head and fails to do anything right. Last season's 'cameo' off the bench at home against Spurs was similar. If the first two or three times he tries to attack go wrong, he has it in him to lose all confidence in his own ability for the rest of the match. Terrible mentality for a player of this level.

JSArsenal

Its only been one game so I think its too early to call him a flop or a bad purchase.

I'll check this thread again if he gets injured again or if he carries this form to the end of the season.

I don't think Wenger stalled his development or ruined him as a player. Too many fans, pundits and to a degree the players themselves, blame their lack of progression on Wenger and his methods. The truth is the person ultimately in charge of Chamberlain's game is Chamberlain, Wenger didn't go onto the training pitch and tell him to misplace easy passes and walk around the pitch out of position.

I think Wenger just had a blind spot for Chamberlain like he does most of our players, he treats them as if they are his sons. That notwithstanding, besides the injury problems, there's a reason Chamberlain never nailed down a permanent spot in our team.

EDIT:

Chamberlain, despite his wish to be a central midfielder, he doesn't seem to have much confidence in his ability to play there.

At Arsenal the two first choice midfielders are Ramsey (Injury Prone) and Xhaka (A player who hasn't fully adapted). After those two our options are less than stellar. Wilshere is further away from a first team spot than Ox ever was. Cazorla's career is nearing its end. Coquelin is out of favour and Elneny is a sub. Yet Chamberlain didn't back himself to get a midfield berth against that less than stellar competition. Then he goes to Liverpool where he will be further down the pecking order than he was here. I can't make sense of it

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

I don't know how true that is.

Atleast V Moses was familiar with the position as he played under Martinez at Wigan who regularly played 3 at the back with attacking wing backs -- so he probably had an easier time getting coached by Conte
Oh yeah I was being sarcastic. It's just what people seem to constantly come up with, though and I don't agree whatsoever.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You know when you were young and playing against the big kids, and every time you get the ball you feel them bearing down on you so you panic and feck up the pass or just get the ball stuck under your feet? That's Alex last night.

ZAGREB RED

Reminds me a lot of Welbeck and Walcott, has a few good games here and there but a bit injury prone and inconsistent. If Liverpool can keep him fit he could be a valuable player. I hope not - nothing personal against him, just don't want Liverpool to do well. Obviously.
He is still relatively young, though, so if he can stay fit and firing he will do well at Anfield. But I'd rather he didn't.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
He's obviously a much, much better player than he showed in that match. He could be frustrating at Arsenal (to himself most of all, I imagine) but no one who watched him regularly would say that he normally played like that. He should come good. Whether he'll come 40 million good is another question but the money's not his fault.

Minimalist

In all seriousness, what was all this 'I want to play midfield' stuff? Has he played there at all yet?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Good business by Arsenal getting 40m for him. Think Chelsea's late interest forced Liverpool's hand, otherwise they'd have waited a year and signed him on a free.