Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain | Set to miss the 2018/19 season

Rossa

It's great the way any shit player that can't nail down a position and has good athleticism can now be considered a viable full / wing back option.
This, pretty much.

It's also ridiculous how any player with a bit of athleticism is shunted out wide or in positions they do not excel in. Ramires at Chelsea is a pretty good example; he was good in central midfield where he used his pace and ridiculous stamina well, but he was as average as they get on the wing. To some extent, Fosu Mensah is struggling with the sam; if he was slow, he would not be playing at RB, but he would instead be getting games at CB.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Reminds me a lot of Welbeck and Walcott, has a few good games here and there but a bit injury prone and inconsistent. If Liverpool can keep him fit he could be a valuable player. I hope not - nothing personal against him, just don't want Liverpool to do well. Obviously.
He is still relatively young, though, so if he can stay fit and firing he will do well at Anfield. But I'd rather he didn't.
Problem with Ox is he is not a bad player, just not as good as he thinks he is. Think he needs a bit of a reality check.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
His performance against Leicester was embarrassing. He's one of those players who just has no stand-out quality. I have no idea what position he's supposed to be be able to play regularly for a good side.

Kapardin

35 mil for a squad player who isn't even a competent squad player. What were they smoking at Anfield;)

So much for the Arsenal feeder club jokes, Wenger's played a blinder with this sale. And Arsenal seem to be getting back their beating-smaller-teams-and-gunning-for-4th mojo as well.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Problem with Ox is he is not a bad player, just not as good as he thinks he is. Think he needs a bit of a reality check.
My impression is more the opposite. In interviews he's confident and outgoing but Wenger once said:

“Maybe he doesn’t completely believe himself how good he can be and that’s the final step for him,” he said. “He must believe more in his talent and that will help him develop as a player. I think sometimes he is too critical of himself. I would like him to play with the freedom and express the desire of his talent.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/08/wenger-oxlade-chamberlain-has-it-all-but-he-must-believe/

I get the impression that he's bright and thoughtful but in a way that dwells on his mistakes. Which probably isn't the best for this situation.

Moonred

His performance against Leicester was embarrassing. He's one of those players who just has no stand-out quality. I have no idea what position he's supposed to be be able to play regularly for a good side.
Looks like a hardworking wing back would have been his best option. But he decided to become a midfielder.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
Holy shit, did I just read correctly this average guy was sold for 40m with one year left on his contract? :lol:
Arsenal are a shambles these days, but that is some fantastic business done by them.

Zlatattack

My impression is more the opposite. In interviews he's confident and outgoing but Wenger once said:

“Maybe he doesn’t completely believe himself how good he can be and that’s the final step for him,” he said. “He must believe more in his talent and that will help him develop as a player. I think sometimes he is too critical of himself. I would like him to play with the freedom and express the desire of his talent.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/08/wenger-oxlade-chamberlain-has-it-all-but-he-must-believe/

I get the impression that he's bright and thoughtful but in a way that dwells on his mistakes. Which probably isn't the best for this situation.
I bet he dwells on them during the games, hence shit performances like that. I've always considered him to be a reasonable player - about Liverpool standard really. I certainly won't be slating Lingard any time soon.

cyberman

He's a player you would keep if he came through your system but you should never bring an Ox type in.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Chamberlain, despite his wish to be a central midfielder, he doesn't seem to have much confidence in his ability to play there.
This. I have never seen such a talented player absolutely freeze like Chamberlain does when he is given any sort of responsibility. If his first few touches of the game aren't positive, his head goes down, he doesn't "want" the ball and you can guarantee he will be subbed in the second half.

For example. When we were battered by Liverpool at home on the opening day of last season. He was anonymous for the entire game then once we were 4-1 down, he produces a great solo run and goal from nowhere. Why didn't he do this when the pressure was on at 1-1!

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but one of the best games he had for us was in January 2012 against United. His confidence was sky high and he was replaced by Arshavin late into the game after we had just equalised. Looking back at his body language after he was subbed, it seemed like a hammer blow to his mental state.

Fridge chutney

Problem: desperately need better centerbacks.

Solution: spend £40M on Oxlade Chamberlain.

Klopp is a football genius.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
That was his first start. Forgive me if I'll give him a bit more time before getting the pitchforks out.

AR87

I don't think he's good as an attacking member of the front 3, because he needs to produce end product there. I also don't believe he has the technical ability or tactical awareness to play in the middle. The position of RWB that Wenger used him in towards the end is his best position as it accentuates his best attributes of pace and ability to transition the ball through zones from defense to attack without having the responsibility of having to produce the goods in the attacking half.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would agree he isn't..... bad, he is competent at being a footballer, but he isn't a very good footballer, certainly not an elite level player to justify his position as a professional football player in the premier league and the English national team.

It would not have been that many years ago a manager would have been ridiculed for picking a player like him to be in the squad (like the treatment Phil Neville used to get) let alone for a starting position.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Better quality
Good to see his full game rather than just a low-lights reel, but further demonstrates how other than a few half-decent moments, he had little impact and had several embarrassingly poor passes, crosses and dribbles.

Further begs the question of where does he play.

Can't pass - rules him out of playing CM
Can't dribble a ball in close-quarters - rules him out of playing on the wing

He probably should have just gone to Chelsea and stuck it out at RWB long-term, he needs space to run forward where he can just kick and run as most of the time he's working in little space up against a player who's jockeying him, he gets the ball caught under his feet and loses it.

Best he can hope for is RWB, time and space to punt the ball forward and charge up the pitch that way and put in some half-decent crosses. Otherwise, he's rubbish in every other position to be honest.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Arsenal with AOC
Played: 3
Won: 1
Lost: 2
Goals scored: 4
Goals conceded: 8

Arsenal post-AOC
Played: 7
Won: 6
Drawn: 1
Goals scored: 15
Goals conceded: 3

Liverpool pre-AOC
Played: 5
Won: 4
Goals scored: 14
Goals conceded: 6

Liverpool with AOC
Drawn: 4
Goals scored: 8
Goals conceded: 14

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Arsenal with AOC

Arsenal post-AOC

Liverpool pre-AOC

Liverpool with AOC
Conclusion: they should get rid of their air operator's certificate.

IrishRedDevil

40m :houllier:

What a terrible player. What is he actually good at? It was so obvious that he is average at best, so what did Klopp see in him?

marlowe78

That defence is nowhere near sorted and they just spent 40M on a winger who aspires to be a CM but never gets to play there. Maybe because the managers don't share the same view as him?

I seriously think they could've gotten Evans, even, and improved the backline, instead they bought a track runner with very little else about him.

Last edited:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal with AOC

Arsenal post-AOC

Liverpool pre-AOC

Liverpool with AOC
Posted it in the other thread. The Ox's curse continues!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Already looking like the worst business of the summer.

OneUnited24

Was a bit of a backwards move when Chelsea were in for him. Also a bit stupid if he actually believed he could make it into Liverpool CMF.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is stealing a living. If he was playing in the Armenian league he would be on peanuts. So lucky he is playing in England.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cheeky 5mins of action at the end there.

He must go home and look at that 120k a week or whatever it is and just smile.

Imagine just knowing a few weeks of that and you could sit back for years and relax! Sickening for such a limited player

Nogbadthebad

I'm positive that if his nickname was AL, Chambs, jelly legs, the guy shagging that little mix girl, anything but 'The Ox', he'd be lucky to be playing for Burnley.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Funnily enough I think that Wenger found him an optimal position in the wing-back and he fecked it all up by being deluded thinking that he's a bigger fish than he really is. Average at best pace merchant with decent stamina.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Funnily enough I think that Wenger found him an optimal position in the wing-back and he fecked it all up by being deluded thinking that he's a bigger fish than he really is. Average at best pace merchant with decent stamina.
What is it with players who think they are better than what they really are anyway ? Didn't Walcott think he was a CF once, only to revert to being a winger or something ?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Agreed.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What is it with players who think they are better than what they really are anyway ? Didn't Walcott think he was a CF once, only to revert to being a winger or something ?
Yup. English press overhyping average shite is the problem if you ask me. Or just a part of it to be exact.

iKnowNothing

Wasn't that the time when his contract was running down and his PR machine went into overdrive?

ti vu

That defence is nowhere near sorted and they just spent 40M on a winger who aspires to be a CM but never gets to play there. Maybe because the managers don't share the same view as him?

I seriously think they could've gotten Evans, even, and improved the backline, instead they bought a track runner with very little else about him.
The strange thing is he declined Chelsea offer and Arsenal attempt to keep him for the exact same reason.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
A perfect example of an over hyped english footballer. He is absoutely terrible, i am so glad that Liverpool wasted 40 million on him instead of putting it towards getting an actual good player.

I have a friend who said to me that they need good players for depth. I laughed and told him you dont pay that kind of money for a bench player who is rubbish.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
This thread means he will score the winner against us and then go back to obscurity.