Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norris

This needs to be announced by 12 if we're planning of using him tomorrow.
Doesn't have to be announced by 12. Just has to be registered by 12 to play against Burnley. But yeah, considering we've not had a single tweet or photo or a sighting of either him or Mkhi at Manchester or London respectively, seems less and less likely. :(

Moiraine

Me since last Friday:-

1. Open twitter....
2. Search Alexis Sanchez...
3. Search Mkhitaryan...
4. Search Alexis Sanchez again...
5. Get disappointed.

Repeat after 5 mins

Hanky panky

This isn't going to be ready before midday. First somebody has to see him arriving to Carrington. After that medical and maybe few hours later announcement. And nobody haven't even seen him at Carrington yet. Or even in Manchester. And it's possible United will inform first that they have reached agreement with player and Arsenal. After that 1-2 days more before official announcement.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope it's either completed before 12pm today and presented at the press conference or announced just before our game tomorrow. Would create a fantastic atmosphere at Burnley

Handsome Devil

Why bother giving them the clicks? The same guys probably moan endlessly about how the WC shouldn't have gone to Qatar given their human rights' record, while also praising PSG and City for their "fabulous football". United sells. Clickbait involves using our name and that's it.
I know, the comments sections are even more hilarious, dominated by ultra bitter Bitters and Scousers with usual chips on shoulder.

midnightmare

1. I think we're overpaying him a little if the numbers reported are accurate, but in terms of the effect on future transfers, I believe the answer is very little. These wages are a fraction of our club's turnover. And in terms of Bale, most sensible United fans would not want him anyway; great player in theory but incredibly injury prone.

2. Mata extended his contract a few weeks ago, I don't think he's likely to be affected. Even if Sanchez does end up taking his place in the team (which is far from certain) Mata can still make important contributions for us.

3. I wouldn't say its worth it just to stop Pep and City. Sanchez is a proven matchwinner; a player able to create something from nothing. You need players like that in order to win titles. It's like Jose said: when a player like that becomes available, you do anything you can to sign him. Especially if you don't have another player like him.

4. Mata and Lingard are probably under the greatest threat. I think he will start of on the right for us (sort of as an inverted winger) before eventually moving to the #10 role. He'll make the occasional appearance at LW as well. Frankly it doesn't matter much where he plays, he's quality regardless.

5. I'd consider targeting Griezmann if I thought he was going to a rival, but that kind of player is probably less of a priority now. We will probably prioritize a 3rd midfielder to play with Matic and Pogba so we can play a 4-3-3 and give the latter the freedom he merits.

6. I don't think we will catch City but as they slow down he will bring us close. We're really buying him for next season. I honestly believe that if we'd had him since the start of this season we'd be nipping at City's heels right now.

I personally don't think its a gamble at all; its a no-brainer. He's perfect for us in so many ways and I think he'll have a big effect on us.
1. From what I've read, his basic wages are at just about 270K (gross) with the rest as add-ons (bonus, image rights etc.). This too is likely an exaggeration, given the Press' record with inflating numbers to generate clicks. Regardless though, our wages:turnover ratio is the best in the league and we're in no danger of financial instability. We're run by a former banker, so I'm pretty certain the math has been worked out. And yeah, haven't seen anyone clamouring for Bale! For the rest, every player (and agent) knows the wages on offer at various places and gets the best possible deals. It's not like you can benchmark to the best-paid randomly and loads of factors come into play.

3. Sanchez is a typical Mourinho-style player I would say and unlike what the Press would have us believe, I don't think he suits Guardiola's style. This is also borne out by his numbers under Guardiola and the comments made at the time. Would Guardiola give him the license to "do his thing" at the expense of Silva, KdB et al? Doubt it. He's historically ruthless in discarding stars that don't fit his style. For Jose though, his drive, commitment and desire are the perfect fit. It's not about City for me. Alexis is perfect for us!

6. Yeah, we'll cement 2nd certainly, be thereabouts if City slip and build for the next PL season. More immediately though, I genuinely (go ahead, laugh if you will) feel he gives us a decent-ish shot at the CL. Sevilla should be negotiated now and with PSG/Real, we're down to just Barca, PSG/Real, Bayern and City as the real threats. Of these as well, Barca and Bayern don't look half as tough this season as before. If we get our defence sorted (Bailly back!) and can have a fit and firing squad, we could well go deep.

Kapardin

Not a chance I should think. Noon is the deadline and there's not a peep. Given how long medicals can take, unless we did one on the quiet in London and are planning to just announce him, sign the papers and register immediately, we're out of time. Oh and then there's the whole "training with the team" bit too...
I have a feeling the club want to announce him in a grand manner, and they cannot do that by just saying "Sanchez is ours pending a medical". They might want to release his interview and other stuff along with the unveiling.

My guess is, his medical will be completed discreetly and then they will announce him. Also, considering its' a swap deal and Raiola is involved, its' sure to take time, and Jose has already written him off for the Burnley game.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I don't think it matters whether it's done by midday or not.

He's not going to be thrown in against Burnley having never trained with us.

vanderpants

At least we will have more info either way as jose has his press conference today at 1pm, im going on the side of doom and gloom as something should have happened by now

gica_7

I opened up notifications from United's twitter account. Whenever it tweets, I have a notification. And anytime I checked since yesterday, it's been a disappointment. My muppet self is getting angry :nono:

Sereques

What's with the opinion that we are going for Sanchez because Liverpool is closing in on us, even from our own Phil Neville :confused:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
- Wild speculations : ✓
- Ballbag's bollocks : ✓
- The gospel of Di Marzio : ✓
- Woodward gifs : ✓
- People getting thread banned : -
- Sanchez arriving in a helicopter : -

We're getting closer, boys!

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What's with the opinion that we are going for Sanchez because Liverpool is closing in on us, even from our own Phil Neville :confused:
Apparently we asked about him in the summer.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Another irritating article about the deal from Mike Keegan in Mailonline. Basically lists City's many noble reasons for not going through with the deal and sees it as another example of United's "scattergun transfer policy" since SAF retired.
Meh!
Jose has made very good signings in the main. The only one which definitely didn't come off is Mikhi, and he's sorting that out by bringing in an upgrade.

You are right, it's yet more bitter propaganda, likely sponsored by the city PR team.

It should worry more people than it does how they've managed to garner so much support from the so called impartial press in this country.

If they worked for Theresa May she'd likely be known as Mother Theresa

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not surprising Phil Neville said that, after watching his analysis few times nothing will surprise me.

Johan77

Reassuring. Do you think that's where he sees himself playing though?
Yes, I think that's were Mou will play him, at least from the start. Our "problems" on the attacking field is the right wing, we have no player who's gifted enough there. Martial and Rashford are clearly better on the left, Mata is no winger and are much better more central. The same can be said about Lingard, even though he's problary our best suited player for the right wing at the moment, but he's better more central too. Sanchez is not the same type of player as Martial / Rashford, who likes to cut inside right from the left. Sanchez does this equally good from the right, as he is more two-footed, and don't rely on this as much as Martial / Rashford does, in my opinion.

It remains to be seen of course, but I think Mou has the right wing in mind for Sanchez.

Edit...
Misunderstood your question a bit. You asked if Sanchez himself sees him play on the right.
I don't think he cares where he plays, he knows he can be equally good everywhere he plays.

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What's so surprising about that? He was part of the United management that openly admitted they aspire to be like City and Liverpool.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Liverpool have improved significantly there is no doubt. A far better side for me than previous years...and it's always important to strengthen....your competition will.

However, this has alot more to do with a genuine player of quality becoming available, and us going balls deep to get him.

Some of the bitterness over it is incredible. Everybody has known Sanchez is off for the last 9 months...it just seemed everyone was in love with the fact he was going to City, be reunited with his former manager and live in Pep's spare room with his dogs.

Why would it matter about the state of Liverpool? So if Liverpool were in 10th right now and out of the European Cup we'd have passed on Sanchez? Ridiculous really.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Had to be done before 12 today to be able to play tomorrow, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.