Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werder Herzog

Just search for the Pogba thread. It was 1091 pages long
That was epic. Hope we don't have to go that far before Sanchez is announced.

I've been slightly worried about the deal be derailed by Chelsea but it seems they are linked with anyone but- just don't want them doing what we did to them in summer.

Drawfull

At least we can hope to get some news before midday.

Even though it's only been going on for a week or so, it feels much longer, especially because of the constant media whining regarding the fee.

If it does go through in time, I can't see him starting tomorrow, regardless. I expect he'll make the bench and hopefully we'll get half an hour out of him. And when he's subbed on for Martial, this place will go nuts...

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I cant see him starting at Turf Moor. So why the rush? Anyway, I think its the Mikhi side that's holding things back since they had a late start on the contract.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Events List for today-

• 9.00Am Players report for training, interesting to see if mkhi is there
  • 12 pm deadline to Register sanchez for Burnley game
  • 2.30 Pm United press conference for Match against Burnley
  • Wait till he sanchez, wait and wait some more and then some fecking more feck.:(

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Err muh ghuurd. Why isn’t this done yet? Wtf have they been doing over night? Why would they do this to me? Can’t see this transfer going through now.

midnightmare

We are not gonna see him tomorrow are we
Not a chance I should think. Noon is the deadline and there's not a peep. Given how long medicals can take, unless we did one on the quiet in London and are planning to just announce him, sign the papers and register immediately, we're out of time. Oh and then there's the whole "training with the team" bit too...

midnightmare

I didn't say he was, just that the press pushed him as the new Cantona at the time.
Yeah. Easiest thing in the world being a sports journalist. "Looks big, strong, and is a Frenchman of African origin playing in midfield? Next Vieira!", "Brazilian attacker? Next Ronaldo / Neymar / Ronaldinho (based on shape)". :lol:

redspoony

Did he play for Arsenal against Forest in the cup? If not then he could play against Yeovil. If he's cup-tied and not registered, we won't see him until Jan 31st away at Spurs...

vanderpants

Can't believe it's Friday and it's still no nearer, definitely won't be making his utd Appearance this weekend. I wonder what the reason is for the delay. If I hear another 24hrs today I'm going to scream

Handsome Devil

Another irritating article about the deal from Mike Keegan in Mailonline. Basically lists City's many noble reasons for not going through with the deal and sees it as another example of United's "scattergun transfer policy" since SAF retired.
Meh!

zarrelito

Supports
Djurgårdens IF
took a week off just so i can press f5.. it must be today!

L1nk

Here's a question i've been pondering about, do we think we have signed Sanchez to permanently occupy that RW role? Ive been thinking about it and i'm not so sure anymore, I mean i'm sure he will be playing there from time to time but knowing he can pretty much play through all the front positions makes me feel like he's Ibra's replacement that just so happens was available for us to sign more than a our pure RW option. I guess it will be telling if we go on to sign Lucas Moura or someone like Pulisic in the summer who's more of an orthodox RW, interesting times ahead at least (baring this doesn't fall through :nervous:)

Mr Smith

Hey, Oldham fan here. Got a few questions for a few of you.

1. Is Alexis Sanchez worth the wages that are being offered to Manchester United, and how will that have an impact on future transfer windows- if let's say his wages stop United from landing a top target like Bale who would command a similar wage?

2. Would any players be offloaded to fund this deal? Where does this leave Juan Mata, with the current contract situation, will he have to leave?

3. Was this transfer, worth it just to stop City and Pep from further pulling away? Are there not other younger targets who United could have got on less wages/more value for money, or is it worth it to United to act now before he moved to City?

4. Where do some of you think Sanchez will play and who will come out of the side for him?

5. Who would you want United to target in the summer to go alongside Sanchez? How many players will be brought in? Does this mean Griezmann isn't a target and will City/Chelsea move for him instead? If he signed for either one, how would you feel about that?

6. What do you think Sanchez will bring to the team and for the rest of the season? Will his impact help you catch City?

Personally I think it's a gamble but it's a gamble worth taking due to the current situation United are in, and looking at City- they're flying and adding Sanchez would be even worse for everyone else in the league. So I think United needed to act now- whatever the price.
1. I think we're overpaying him a little if the numbers reported are accurate, but in terms of the effect on future transfers, I believe the answer is very little. These wages are a fraction of our club's turnover. And in terms of Bale, most sensible United fans would not want him anyway; great player in theory but incredibly injury prone.

2. Mata extended his contract a few weeks ago, I don't think he's likely to be affected. Even if Sanchez does end up taking his place in the team (which is far from certain) Mata can still make important contributions for us.

3. I wouldn't say its worth it just to stop Pep and City. Sanchez is a proven matchwinner; a player able to create something from nothing. You need players like that in order to win titles. It's like Jose said: when a player like that becomes available, you do anything you can to sign him. Especially if you don't have another player like him.

4. Mata and Lingard are probably under the greatest threat. I think he will start of on the right for us (sort of as an inverted winger) before eventually moving to the #10 role. He'll make the occasional appearance at LW as well. Frankly it doesn't matter much where he plays, he's quality regardless.

5. I'd consider targeting Griezmann if I thought he was going to a rival, but that kind of player is probably less of a priority now. We will probably prioritize a 3rd midfielder to play with Matic and Pogba so we can play a 4-3-3 and give the latter the freedom he merits.

6. I don't think we will catch City but as they slow down he will bring us close. We're really buying him for next season. I honestly believe that if we'd had him since the start of this season we'd be nipping at City's heels right now.

I personally don't think its a gamble at all; its a no-brainer. He's perfect for us in so many ways and I think he'll have a big effect on us.

RedBrickWall

Events List for today-

• 9.00Am Players report for training, interesting to see if mkhi is there
  • 12 pm deadline to Register sanchez for Burnley game
  • 2.30 Pm United press conference for Match against Burnley
  • Wait till he sanchez, wait and wait some more and then some fecking more feck.:(
Picture the scene..Press room filled with journos ready with questions, they’re waiting and waiting suddenly José stumbles in with two dogs and an open bottle of Casillero Del Diablo, Slurring his words he says “Money over Pep” and “these dogs have never been accused of match-fixing” all of a sudden pyrotechnics go crazy a group of Chilean miners are carrying Sanchez in the air like a god, the journos go wild and José confirms he starts Saturday at Burnley.

midnightmare

Another irritating article about the deal from Mike Keegan in Mailonline. Basically lists City's many noble reasons for not going through with the deal and sees it as another example of United's "scattergun transfer policy" since SAF retired.
Meh!
Why bother giving them the clicks? The same guys probably moan endlessly about how the WC shouldn't have gone to Qatar given their human rights' record, while also praising PSG and City for their "fabulous football". United sells. Clickbait involves using our name and that's it.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Got a feeling he will be announced this evening or more likely on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.