All Time Great Managers Draft

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I thought it was more to do with his compatability with the systems of the various managers. I don't think many of the managers played with pure wingers in his mould. Certainly from my own perspective Lippi never really used the old-fashioned outside-right/left. The closest was Lombardo (and he matches up well to Matthews) but he generally played a bit-part role under Lippi.
Ya, fair enough, but it does pose the question of the other one being on the block list if so difficult to utilise in this particular draft, no?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ya, fair enough, but it does pose the question of the other one being on the block list if so difficult to utilise in this particular draft, no?
Yeah, we had that discussion earlier on in the thread. Enigma and I were of the view that the block list shouldn't really include these tricky GOATs because developing the right system around them is typically fraught with difficulties.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, we had that discussion earlier on in the thread. Enigma and I were of the view that the block list shouldn't really include these tricky GOATs because developing the right system around them is typically fraught with difficulties.
Garrincha was available to build around though, the block list was only Pele, Messi, Maradona.

Some guys like Gullit, Garrincha and others were mainly on the restricted list because it would have been a bit too much to pair them with the likes of Di Stefano, Platini, etc.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Garrincha was available to build around, the block list was only Pele, Messi, Maradona.

Some guys like Gullit, Garrincha and others were on the restricted list because it would have been a bit too much to pair them with the likes of Di Stefano, Platini, etc.
Yeah I think you called it right. He's almost the anti-system player, so really you'd have been needing a more laid-back attack-minded manager who could have freely accommodated him. I don't think he'd have worked with any of the chosen 16 managers.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Yeah I think you called it right. He's almost the anti-system player, so really you'd have been needing a more laid-back attack-minded manager who could have freely accommodated him. I don't think he'd have worked with any of the chosen 16 managers.
Maybe Fergie in Ronaldo role?
Though i know feck all about most managers so cant comment on those :D

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Does anyone have his picks?

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe Guttmann but that's about it..

He will be pain to work around. Another option was Zagallo, but no one selected him.

Personally I wouldn't opted for him because he wouldn't work at all under Happel, let alone working under Happel and Platini.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Telê Santana probably could've fitted him in quite brilliantly.

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
Rinat Dasayev and Carles Puyol will be my next selections please. I will continue drafting.

ManagerRound 1 (GOATs)Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6
Round 7
Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Round 13Round 14
Michael - V. MaslovA. Di StefanoE. DavidsF. RedondoA. DemyanenkoA. ShevchenkoR. BonhofB. HulshoffV. BezsonovW. RooneyR. DasayevC. Puyol
Himannv/Fortitude - SAFL. RonaldoB. SchweinsteigerL. FigoM. BossisD. AlvesD.DzajicMarceloW. OverathS. MazzolaT. Finney
Enigma - E. HappelM. PlatiniP. NedvědT. HenryC. AlbertoF. CannavaroP. VieiraT. CerezoL. YashinL. JuniorH. Chumpitaz
Raees - U. LattekF. BaresiN. SantosRomárioM. TardelliD. EdwardsJ. MasopustT. BurgnichD. GodinRivelinoS. Matthews
harms - V. LobanovskyiJ. CruyffU. SeelerP. BreitnerV. VoroninM. AmorosP. McGrathH.P. BriegelK. De BruyneC. FerraraS. Maier
Kendrick - F. CapelloF. BeckenbauerJ. BozsikB. VogtsA. CabriniRonaldinhoC. MakeleleR. GiggsN. VidicP. SchmeichelK. Mbappe
2mufc0 - J. MourinhoL. MatthausR. KrolJ. KohlerD. SantosH. StoichkovS. KocsisG. SounessB. SchusterM. TresorG. Banks
P-Nut - C. WilderF. RijkaardD. PassarellaJ. ZanettiL. Suárez MiramontesL. ModricD. LawD. VillaS. CampbellE. van der SarD. Alaba
EAP - C. AncelottiG. MullerR. KeaneA. BrehmeP. ScholesR. BaggioV. VasovicP. EvraO. RuggeriR. KopaO. Kahn
Big D - N. RoccoP. MaldiniG. ScireaG. BergomiG. BatistutaZ. ZidaneC. GentileB. ContiA. Del PieroG. BuffonD. Deschamps
Moby - A. SacchiE. FigueroaB. RobsonZ. BoniekXaviF. GentoA. IniestaV. van DijkM. KaltzD. BeckhamE. Abidal
crappy - B. GuttmannG. BestB. MooreL. ThuramDidiK.-H. SchnellingerRivaldoA. PirloR. van NistelrooyJairzinhoJ. L. Chilavert
Gio - M. LippiC. RonaldoJ. NeeskensFalcaoK-H. ForsterL. RivaE. GeretsI. NettoL. SuárezM. LaudrupD. Zoff
Synco - L. FavreM. DesaillyK.-H. RummeniggeJ. TiganaA. RobbenM. SammerB. LizarazuT. SilvaK. KeeganF. RiberyAlisson
Beam - J. KloppB. CharltonR. FerdinandCafuR. CarlosS. Eto'oP. VierchowodJ. LitmanenA. VidalZ. CziborM. A. ter Stegen
Sjor - T. IvicR. GullitO. BlokhinP. LahmJ. StamA. ColeVan HanegemA. CostacurtaM. NeuerU. StielikeT. Hassler

@Fortitude

harms

Staff

I think I'll continue for a bit.

Round 7
Michael - V. MaslovA. Di StefanoE. DavidsF. RedondoA. DemyanenkoA. ShevchenkoR. BonhofB. HulshoffV. BezsonovW. RooneyR. DasayevC. Puyol
Himannv/Fortitude - SAFL. RonaldoB. SchweinsteigerL. FigoM. BossisD. AlvesD.DzajicMarceloW. OverathS. MazzolaT. FinneyF. Hierro
Enigma - E. HappelM. PlatiniP. NedvědT. HenryC. AlbertoF. CannavaroP. VieiraT. CerezoL. YashinL. JuniorH. ChumpitazJ. Johnstone
Raees - U. LattekF. BaresiN. SantosRomárioM. TardelliD. EdwardsJ. MasopustT. BurgnichD. GodinRivelinoS. MatthewsG. Netzer
harms - V. LobanovskyiJ. CruyffU. SeelerP. BreitnerV. VoroninM. AmorosP. McGrathH.P. BriegelK. De BruyneC. FerraraS. MaierS. Lerby
Kendrick - F. CapelloF. BeckenbauerJ. BozsikB. VogtsA. CabriniRonaldinhoC. MakeleleR. GiggsN. VidicP. SchmeichelK. Mbappe
2mufc0 - J. MourinhoL. MatthausR. KrolJ. KohlerD. SantosH. StoichkovS. KocsisG. SounessB. SchusterM. TresorG. Banks
P-Nut - C. WilderF. RijkaardD. PassarellaJ. ZanettiL. Suárez MiramontesL. ModricD. LawD. VillaS. CampbellE. van der SarD. Alaba
EAP - C. AncelottiG. MullerR. KeaneA. BrehmeP. ScholesR. BaggioV. VasovicP. EvraO. RuggeriR. KopaO. Kahn
Big D - N. RoccoP. MaldiniG. ScireaG. BergomiG. BatistutaZ. ZidaneC. GentileB. ContiA. Del PieroG. BuffonD. Deschamps
Moby - A. SacchiE. FigueroaB. RobsonZ. BoniekXaviF. GentoA. IniestaV. van DijkM. KaltzD. BeckhamE. Abidal
crappy - B. GuttmannG. BestB. MooreL. ThuramDidiK.-H. SchnellingerRivaldoA. PirloR. van NistelrooyJairzinhoJ. L. Chilavert
Gio - M. LippiC. RonaldoJ. NeeskensFalcaoK-H. ForsterL. RivaE. GeretsI. NettoL. SuárezM. LaudrupD. Zoff
Synco - L. FavreM. DesaillyK.-H. RummeniggeJ. TiganaA. RobbenM. SammerB. LizarazuT. SilvaK. KeeganF. RiberyAlisson
Beam - J. KloppB. CharltonR. FerdinandCafuR. CarlosS. Eto'oP. VierchowodJ. LitmanenA. VidalZ. CziborM. A. ter Stegen
Sjor - T. IvicR. GullitO. BlokhinP. LahmJ. StamA. ColeVan HanegemA. CostacurtaM. NeuerU. StielikeT. Hassler

@King Kendrick

Funnily enough, they did work together... but Lattek was an assistant and not a full manager yet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I so wanted to pull the trigger on him, but Overath's flexibility and defensive nous won out in the end.

Really interested in seeing what you manage to do with him.
Overflowing with mids at the moment.. will probably depend on the opponent who gets in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Overflowing with mids at the moment.. will probably depend on the opponent who gets in.
Sound strategy; my own aim is to try and replicate all 4 of Fergie's systems if possible, which requires a varied cast and I'm not sure I can get all the pieces in place, but I'll try!

Don't like Ronaldo in this team, if I'm honest.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thanks. Had him in my mind since the very beginning — pretty much since Davids was taken.
Had him on my extended list (which is seeing faces disappear at quite a clip now) but haven't really the chance to move for him. Like Netzer, I was curious where he'd go, and how you'll use him if he gets a chance to field.

harms

Staff
Yeah, he's alright.

Round 7
Himannv/Fortitude - SAFL. RonaldoB. SchweinsteigerL. FigoM. BossisD. AlvesD.DzajicMarceloW. OverathS. MazzolaT. FinneyF. Hierro
Enigma - E. HappelM. PlatiniP. NedvědT. HenryC. AlbertoF. CannavaroP. VieiraT. CerezoL. YashinL. JuniorH. ChumpitazJ. Johnstone
Raees - U. LattekF. BaresiN. SantosRomárioM. TardelliD. EdwardsJ. MasopustT. BurgnichD. GodinRivelinoS. MatthewsG. Netzer
harms - V. LobanovskyiJ. CruyffU. SeelerP. BreitnerV. VoroninM. AmorosP. McGrathH.P. BriegelK. De BruyneC. FerraraS. MaierS. Lerby
Kendrick - F. CapelloF. BeckenbauerJ. BozsikB. VogtsA. CabriniRonaldinhoC. MakeleleR. GiggsN. VidicP. SchmeichelK. MbappeS. Busquets

@2mufc0

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Round 7
Kendrick - F. CapelloF. BeckenbauerJ. BozsikB. VogtsA. CabriniRonaldinhoC. MakeleleR. GiggsN. VidicP. SchmeichelK. MbappeS. Busquets
2mufc0 - J. MourinhoL. MatthausR. KrolJ. KohlerD. SantosH. StoichkovS. KocsisG. SounessB. SchusterM. TresorG. BanksK. Hamrin

@P-Nut

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Round 7
2mufc0 - J. MourinhoL. MatthausR. KrolJ. KohlerD. SantosH. StoichkovS. KocsisG. SounessB. SchusterM. TresorG. BanksK. Hamrin
P-Nut - C. WilderF. RijkaardD. PassarellaJ. ZanettiL. Suárez MiramontesL. ModricD. LawD. VillaS. CampbellE. van der SarD. AlabaS. Ramos

@Edgar Allan Pillow I'll continue btw

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Round 7
P-Nut - C. WilderF. RijkaardD. PassarellaJ. ZanettiL. Suárez MiramontesL. ModricD. LawD. VillaS. CampbellE. van der SarD. AlabaS. Ramos
EAP - C. AncelottiG. MullerR. KeaneA. BrehmeP. ScholesR. BaggioV. VasovicP. EvraO. RuggeriR. KopaO. KahnB. Bremner

@BIG DUNK

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Would this have been a workable midfield trio?

Lerby.......Keane
......Scholes........
Yup. DLP, defensive B2B and offensive B2B. Exceptional combo. The only potential issue would be coming up against a GOAT 10 which is why I tend not to play with a DLP in front of the back four.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yup. DLP, defensive B2B and offensive B2B. Exceptional combo. The only potential issue would be coming up against a GOAT 10 which is why I tend not to play with a DLP in front of the back four.
That GOAT 10 would have massive issues going against that midfield. It is always the same problem when you look at team tactics and people see Maradona vs Scholes going head to head for example, while it is never like that on the pitch being more about team dynamics in midfield. It is easy to see two midfielders going in the double pivot here in the defensive phase and there are other, multiple ways to defend it.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That GOAT 10 would have massive issues going against that midfield. It is always the same problem when you look at team tactics and people see Maradona vs Scholes going head to head for example, while it is never like that on the pitch being more about team dynamics in midfield. It is easy to see two midfielders going in the double pivot here in the defensive phase and there are other, multiple ways to defend it.
I generally agree that but I remember my midfield three of Overath, Breitner and Stielike being considered to have no chance against Maradona which I thought absurd and that has a proper defensive maestro at DM. Just in general draft games everyone seems to see GOAT 10 and unless you have Voronin, Desailly or Rikjaard at DM there is no way to stop him. That's wrong but how it seems to play out in draft games

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Would this have been a workable midfield trio?

Lerby.......Keane
......Scholes........
As balanced as it is in midfield, don’t like it that much with your front 3. With Scholes, I’d prefer more direct players and less playmakers in the front 3. Baggio and Kopa already bring in a lot of creativity And I wouldn’t bank on them to make consistent runs for Scholes‘ passes from the deep.

From the AC Milan team with Pirlo at base, you had Kaká, an incredibly direct player with Sheva and Inzaghi. Not to say that is the only way to setup, but that brings the best out of a world class DLP for me.