Alvaro Fernandez Carreras

Bwuk

I'm all for giving him minutes against Arsenal. Neither Dalot nor AWB are RB's and Telles has been rubbish.

Rocknrolla69er

Why isn't he getting a chance over Telles.

Shite marking for the 1st goal
Then gives a penalty away

Don't get why Ragnicks now not playing some prospects

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

These aren't the conditions to play young players. Elanga is probably already getting heat at the moment. Let's not kill their careers under this toxic group.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Because he's not even that good of a defender at u23s level, he needs protection if he plays in the first team - which he will not get from these dossers in the team. They'll hang him out to dry.

Rocknrolla69er

He's probably the u23s player of the year and your saying he's not even that good at under 23 level.........

Did you see telles defending today, no way this lads worse than that, there's a certain lad at Southampton people want us to sign who's young, and also a lad at Brighton, we may have a few under our own noses yet we l never know if they ain't given a chance

Nothing can be worse than what's in that first team, let's phase them out now and give some young lads abit of experience, absolutely nothing to lose, and the crowd wouldn't get on their backs at all.

This board gets better hahaha!!!!!!

flameinthesun

He's probably the u23s player of the year and your saying he's not even that good at under 23 level.........

Did you see telles defending today, no way this lads worse than that, there's a certain lad at Southampton people want us to sign who's young, and also a lad at Brighton, we may have a few under our own noses yet we l never know if they ain't given a chance

Nothing can be worse than what's in that first team, let's phase them out now and give some young lads abit of experience, absolutely nothing to lose, and the crowd wouldn't get on their backs at all.

This board gets better hahaha!!!!!!
As a lot of people have pointed out, when you watch u23 games and even when he was in u18s, defending is not his strong point. At that level he's an okay defender but still gets done for pace or dribbled past a bit too often. Going forward he is great though. I'd put his defending along the levels of Dalot, i.e. not that great. So to stick him im this united team where he will have no protection and come up against even better wingers would be silly.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
As a lot of people have pointed out, when you watch u23 games and even when he was in u18s, defending is not his strong point. At that level he's an okay defender but still gets done for pace or dribbled past a bit too often. Going forward he is great though. I'd put his defending along the levels of Dalot, i.e. not that great. So to stick him im this united team where he will have no protection and come up against even better wingers would be silly.
Precisely

Marwood

He's a lovely footballer but look how Telles is struggling with his lack of physicality. Playing Fernandez now would be a lamb to slaughter.

Get him in CM before it's too late.

flameinthesun

He's a lovely footballer but look how Telles is struggling with his lack of physicality. Playing Fernandez now would be a lamb to slaughter.

Get him in CM before it's too late.
He does look to have the traits to be one of those fullbacks that transition into cm. Hopefully ten haag has a good look at him during his time here.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
These aren't the conditions to play young players. Elanga is probably already getting heat at the moment. Let's not kill their careers under this toxic group.
This. And within 15mins of his debut, the experts here would have confirmed that he would not have a career at United.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
You'd expect he'll get a cameo now that the season is fully over and done with. We usually give the best young player a debut at the end of most seasons I seem to recall

Highfather_24

With our situation at LB, and him being the best young player this season, he deserves to play soon. God knows we need it.

lenny_1248

Fernandez is not good enough defensively right now, but so is Telles :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You'd expect he'll get a cameo now that the season is fully over and done with. We usually give the best young player a debut at the end of most seasons I seem to recall
Back in those scarcely believable good times when we secured CL football with a few games still to play. As it stands we’re going to be scrapping to try and get any kind of European football at all until the very last day. No chance of any of those zero pressure games where we stack our bench with kids.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Back in those scarcely believable good times when we secured CL football with a few games still to play. As it stands we’re going to be scrapping to try and get any kind of European football at all until the very last day. No chance of any of those zero pressure games where we stack our bench with kids.
From Ralfs comments yesterday it seems as though we're writing off our CL hopes (as we should) and the conference league goes down to 7th. We'd have to lost basically every game to finish 8th. Not beyond the realms of possibility I know.

Plus I wouldn't expect him to start, but a 15 min cameo in a game seems likely with injuries and form at the moment.

One final reason would be a message from Rangnick to the players who he clearly feels let down by

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Fernandez is not good enough defensively right now, but so is Telles :lol:
No, but I just dont think it's wise to put a junior defender, who's not the best at defending, into a complete defensive shambles.

That being said, given there's zero pressure any more, maybe he'll get more minutes.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No, but I just dont think it's wise to put a junior defender, who's not the best at defending, into a complete defensive shambles.

That being said, given there's zero pressure any more, maybe he'll get more minutes.
I agree with you but 10 minutes off the bench at the end might be a good idea, particularly if we're chasing the game.

Bwuk

Liverpool chucked Trent in when they were a shambles. Not saying Fernandez will end up as good as Trent, but if the other options are rubbish - why not?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Liverpool chucked Trent in when they were a shambles. Not saying Fernandez will end up as good as Trent, but if the other options are rubbish - why not?
I don't think Liverpool were THIS disjointed when Tent came in, but maybe my memory is failing me. Right now our form is in the toilet, I feel like Liverpool's was more spotty, than in the pan.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
He does have trouble defensi why but is good going forward. Trouble is, if we put him in the first team and he has a 'mare, he will get written off after about 15 minutes of play by the Red Cafe tricoteuses

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He does have trouble defensi why but is good going forward. Trouble is, if we put him in the first team and he has a 'mare, he will get written off after about 15 minutes of play by the Red Cafe tricoteuses
I'm not always in favour of loans for our better youth players but I do think he'd benefit from a loan at a club that'll allow him equal opportunities to attack and defend. If he could exponentially increase his defensive abilities I see no reason why he couldn't play first team football someday, but if though. As an actual footballer I think he's brilliant, has a wand of a left foot.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not always in favour of loans for our better youth players but I do think he'd benefit from a loan at a club that'll allow him equal opportunities to attack and defend. If he could exponentially increase his defensive abilities I see no reason why he couldn't play first team football someday, but if though. As an actual footballer I think he's brilliant, has a wand of a left foot.
And a right foot to be fair, his first goal was pretty special with his weak foot

L1nk

Is it possible he could do really well for us as a LB in a Ten Hag team?

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m curious about this lad. Admittedly not seen as much of him as I’d like but was not aware he was in for POTS.

Anyone who watches regularly like to give us an update? Surely he’s worth looking at given our issues at full back

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I’m curious about this lad. Admittedly not seen as much of him as I’d like but was not aware he was in for POTS.

Anyone who watches regularly like to give us an update? Surely he’s worth looking at given our issues at full back
His pace or lack of it will be a major problem in a league like the prem. Unless he changes his position, I can’t see him succeeding at left back. The image of Telles struggling to catch up to his winger would be a very regular site with this kid.

IhabX7

Watched him twice and I think he’d improve immensely playing with the first team. His football IQ is impressive.

TheReligion

Abusive
His pace or lack of it will be a major problem in a league like the prem. Unless he changes his position, I can’t see him succeeding at left back. The image of Telles struggling to catch up to his winger would be a very regular site with this kid.
What’s made him so impressive at U23 level this season then? Not the norm for a defender to pick up POTY to my knowledge so assume he’s been quality

Remember the geese

What’s made him so impressive at U23 level this season then? Not the norm for a defender to pick up POTY to my knowledge so assume he’s been quality
He's just a really elegant, technical player. Drops the shoulder to wriggle out of tight situations, great passing range, good vision and a goal threat. A deserved winner of the award.

mu4c_20le

I thought he was defensively not ready at the start of the season but he seems to have adapted very quickly and improved a ton.

Red_toad

Agree, he looks very good on the ball, has a very good passing range and awareness. I’d say he’s going to have to move into midfield to make the grade and he looks like he has all the attributes to make that work for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He reminds me a tiny bit of Trent at Liverpool, in that he's a very good footballer but not a great defender. He strikes me as a potential midfielder, bit hard to describe him really. Might get slaughtered for this but it was like when we played Blind at full back, in that he didn't quite have the physicality but his actual ability to manipulate a football is very good.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think he is one of those type of players who isn't super fast, raw speed wise. But he is fast with the ball.
I never though pace was such an issue with him.

avgp_1

Does ETH like his inverted FBs? Might be an option for that

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He reminds me a tiny bit of Trent at Liverpool, in that he's a very good footballer but not a great defender. He strikes me as a potential midfielder, bit hard to describe him really. Might get slaughtered for this but it was like when we played Blind at full back, in that he didn't quite have the physicality but his actual ability to manipulate a football is very good.
If we had Konate, Van Dijk, and Fabinho to cover then I suspect Fernandez would be knocking on the first team door. As it is, despite his talent, I just don't see how this current team can accommodate him. His weaknesses will be amplified and exposed horrifically.