Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nobody knows. January at some point you'd expect.

I assume we will apply in January when the window is open and hopefully it'll all go smoothly.
I forgot where I heard it (a podcast somewhere) but apparently there's no issues expected with his permit and he should be joining us as planned in the new year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ah ok, I thought we could be working on the permit ahead of the window.
I'm no expert on these matters, you'd like to think so but it's never that straight forward - the Fact ole name checked him though is a good sign i'd say.
I forgot where I heard it (a podcast somewhere) but apparently there's no issues expected with his permit and he should be joining us as planned in the new year.
Yeah I expect it'll go through fine especially being for a big fee. The only worry was about him potentially not having a valid italian passport and may have been in Europe illegally, but i'm sure that'll get sorted out.

Chief123

I heard there was talk of Wolves trying to sign Hulk from China but have abandoned any ambition of it now due to it being virtually impossible to get a visa from January as he’s not played enough games for Brazil.

I did wonder whether the above scenario would have a similar affect on Diallo.

HowYouDoin

Greenwood on the right just doesnt work anymore.
Either you play Rashford there with Martial on the left and Cavani up top or otherwise Diallo walks into that first 11.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But that's lazy journalism/football hype BS isn't it? The same BS that stated that Anderson reminded people of Rivaldo, that there's a horde of Italian/Argentinian players who are the new Maldini/Maradona or that Nicky Butt was the best player in the world cup of 2002. Quaresema was very talented. However there's a reason why he moved to Barcelona for 6m and Ronaldo moved to us for 12m. He was inconsistent, he lacked Ronaldo's crystalline talent and his workrate.

No one knows how will talent develop. Some things aren't in the player's hands either. God forbid he might pick a frigging injury that will ruin him. It's said that the best player of 92 was ruined before he made a name of himself. This was not said by some journalist who think that Brazilian with dreadlocks are world class dribblers but by the likes of Harrison, Sir Alex and Scholes who were pretty much involved in that period.

What we can discuss though is the present. Diallo has moved as a migrant at age 8. Those who knew him said that all the family owned were the clothes they had on them. He started football in an increasingly migrant hostile country whose not exactly youth talent friendly and who already had their fingers burnt by another black player/prodigy ie Balotelli. Diallo kept his head down and he constantly humiliated his teammates and his opponents despite

a- being of small stature
b- having to play against older opponents
c- having to adapt to different roles
d- playing at the Italian's Ferrari version of youth academy
e- having to face the risk of being banned for 6 months because of immigration problems

I don't think that Greenwood's career is at risk here. The boy is a natural. He'll do well as STK or even LW as much as he did as RW. In fact Greenwood's only enemy is himself really. If he remains focused then barring any injuries he'll make it to the very top.

The ones who should be sweating are those who are inconsistent. We've got too many players who seem to have settled to this 2 good games 3 meah games notion ie players who either do not seem to like sweating too much or they have their sights on many things rather then football. That can be dangerous when the likes of Pellistri, Greenwood and Diallo are coming through especially if United's obsession for Jadon or/and Haaland isn't abated. Maybe Martial and Mr MBE can have a chat or two with former English international and United's first teamer Lee Sharpe. He knows a thing or two how a young and determined 18 year old can pull the rug on someone's career.
Quaresma moved for 6m to Barca because Barca were in negotiations with SCP for a long time before they signed him. His departure from the club was planned in the summer of 2003. And he was considered the biggest talent to come out of the SCP academy in that period by the fans and coaching staff at the club. Let's not rewrite history.

Ronaldo in the same period was very raw and made ridiculously poor decisions at times but the SCP management planned to keep him at the club to further develop his game and enhance his market value. But after winning the Toulon tournament with Portugal a number of clubs started showing interest in the young Ronaldo but their offers were rebuffed at the time. And then not long after, we played a friendly with SCP which was a game to inaugurate the opening of the new Alvade stadium and Ronaldo was very good in the game which forced us to move for the player. But he was a young player SCP didn't plan to sell that summer so the offer had to be pretty substantial for them to even entertain it. So in the end we shelled out £12m of which SCP received 8m and Jorge Mendes receiving 4m.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Quaresma moved for 6m to Barca because Barca were in negotiations with SCP for a long time before they signed him. His departure from the club was planned in the summer of 2003. And he was considered the biggest talent to come out of the SCP academy in that period by the fans and coaching staff at the club. Let's not rewrite history.

Ronaldo in the same period was very raw and made ridiculously poor decisions at times but the SCP management planned to keep him at the club to further develop his game and enhance his market value. But after winning the Toulon tournament with Portugal a number of clubs started showing interest in the young Ronaldo but their offers were rebuffed at the time. And then not long after, we played a friendly with SCP which was a game to inaugurate the opening of the new Alvade stadium and Ronaldo was very good in the game which forced us to move for the player. But he was a young player SCP didn't plan to sell that summer so the offer had to be pretty substantial for them to even entertain it. So in the end we shelled out £12m of which SCP received 8m and Jorge Mendes receiving 4m.
I used to work with a Portuguese person and he told me that Ronaldo was clearly the better player back then.

0le

So in the end we shelled out £12m of which SCP received 8m and Jorge Mendes receiving 4m.
Feck sake, even back then agent fees were a joke. 33% of the total fee.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I used to work with a Portuguese person and he told me that Ronaldo was clearly the better player back then.
He was in the minority then. I followed the Portuguese youngsters at SCP in the time period in question and apart from pace and athleticism Quaresma was the superior talent at youth level hence Barcelona signed him.

But the point I was making was that Quaresma going for the reported 6m in comparison to the 12m for Ronaldo had little correlation to player potential in the long-run and the transfer fees paid out by both Barca and United were done at times when 1. SCP planned to sell.. 2. They didn't want to sell hence United needing to give them a amount they couldn't refuse so late in the window. There's context to this which I've explained in my previous post.

devilish

He was in the minority then. I followed the Portuguese youngsters at SCP in the time period in question and apart from pace and athleticism Quaresma was the superior talent at youth level hence Barcelona signed him.

But the point I was making was that Quaresma going for the reported 6m in comparison to the 12m for Ronaldo had little correlation to player potential in the long-run and the transfer fees paid out by both Barca and United were done at times when 1. SCP planned to sell.. 2. They didn't want to sell hence United needing to give them a amount they couldn't refuse so late in the window. There's context to this which I've explained in my previous post.
Usually clubs tend to try and retain the most talented kid. Just saying

devilish

Not stepping stone clubs..
Stepping stone clubs as well. Why get 6m for a player who will fetch 30m in few months time?

I think that SLB knew exactly that quaresema had attitude problems that would end up ruining him. Youth coaches tend to pick on that. I remember the outrage caused when we involved Gillespie in the Cole's deal. Turned out that the club was right

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Stepping stone clubs as well. Why get 6m for a player who will fetch 30m in few months time?

I think that SLB knew exactly that quaresema had attitude problems that would end up ruining him. Youth coaches tend to pick on that. I remember the outrage caused when we involved Gillespie in the Cole's deal. Turned out that the club was right
They held onto Quaresma longer than they did Ronaldo. Quaresma was also 19 at the time and was wanted by dream club Barcelona. It was extremely difficult to hold onto a player that wanted to join his dream club.

The part about his attitude is just you clutching at straws now.. :lol:

devilish

They held onto Quaresma longer than they did Ronaldo. Quaresma was also 19 at the time and was wanted by dream club Barcelona. It was extremely difficult to hold onto a player that wanted to join his dream club.

The part about his attitude is just you clutching at straws now.. :lol:
Is it? The guy has attitude issues nearly wherever he went. Don't tell me that he became a prima donna the moment he stepped out of Portugal.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is it? The guy has attitude issues nearly wherever he went. Don't tell me that he became a prima donna the moment he stepped out of Portugal.
What attitude problems did he have at SCP?

You're moving goal posts after being corrected on your assumption that just because Quaresma was sold to Barca for 6m, it means Ronaldo was better because he cost more in the same summer. I've provided you with context but now you've resorted to questioning the players attitude at SCP.

devilish

What attitude problems did he have at SCP?

You're moving goal posts after being corrected on your assumption that just because Quaresma was sold to Barca for 6m, it means Ronaldo was better because he cost more in the same summer. I've provided you with context but now you've resorted to questioning the players attitude at SCP.
I am not a Portuguese league expert so I don't know. However I follow enough stepping stone clubs/clubs with a good academy to know three things

A- its very rare that a player turns into a jerk day 1 after he leaves his own country.
B- Youth coaches are the first to pick on attitude problems.
C- Clubs with experience in developing youths tend to get rid off bad apples as fast as they can. Some can afford to show them the door and get near nothing out of them like we do. Others will have to wait and sell them for some kind of profit.

Talent alone can take you so far and there are very few players who are able to carve a great career with talent alone (I can think of two on the spot ie Maradona and Best).

I also tend to take early reviews with a pinch of salt. Sir Alex was a top talent spotter but he had his fair share of poo poos including the new Steve Bruce Ronnie Wallwork and the new Batistuta Dong Fangzhuo. Meanwhile Gaz said that his brother will become a better player then him and Rio pretty much said the same thing about his own bro Anton.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I am not a Portuguese league expert so I don't know. However I follow enough stepping stone clubs/clubs with a good academy to know three things

A- its very rare that a player turns into a jerk day 1 after he leaves his own country.
B- Youth coaches are the first to pick on attitude problems.
C- Clubs with experience in developing youths tend to get rid off bad apples as fast as they can. Some can afford to show them the door and get near nothing out of them like we do. Others will have to wait and sell them for some kind of profit.

Talent alone can take you so far and there are very few players who are able to carve a great career with talent alone (I can think of two on the spot ie Maradona and Best).

I also tend to take early reviews with a pinch of salt. Sir Alex was a top talent spotter but he had his fair share of poo poos including the new Steve Bruce Ronnie Wallwork and the new Batistuta Dong Fangzhuo. Meanwhile Gaz said that his brother will become a better player then him and Rio pretty much said the same thing about his own bro Anton.
I'm not disagreeing with this post at all. What I disagreed with you on, was you assuming that because Quaresma was sold for 6m and Ronaldo for 12m, it means he was the bigger talent. I've also provided context and below is a quote from Phil Thompson who was the assistant to Gerrard Houllier at Liverpool at the time and is quoted as saying, that Ronaldo was being touted around Europe in 2003 and was offered to Liverpool for just £4m.

Former assistant Phil Thompson explained:

"He was being touted around everyone. Tony Henry, the former Man City midfielder, was working for Paul Stretford, who was tasked by Jorge Mendes to drum up interest in England.

“They were desperate to get Ronaldo out of Sporting and invited me over for a game. I was told the fee was £4 million but they explained that it could be paid over the course of a four-year contract so essentially it was £1 million per year.

https://www.givemesport.com/1542589...ristiano-ronaldo-from-sporting-lisbon-in-2004

Sorry for derailing the thread and I won't be doing that any longer.

DRM

So any chance this kid can make an impact on the 1st team yet or straight into the reserves? We're desperately crying out for a right winger!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Welcome Amad! No pressure, we just need you to be the 2nd coming of Ronaldo.
Failing this, 2nd coming of Nani will also be fine.

-Supreme-

Welcome Amad! No pressure, we just need you to be the 2nd coming of Ronaldo.
Failing this, 2nd coming of Nani will also be fine.
He plays like Messi according to his Atalanta's team mate :drool:

He has played just a hand full of games in his time as a professional but Atalanta captain Papu Gomez has previously compared him to Lionel Messi.

"There are defenders in the first team that sometimes cannot stop him. To stop him in training, we have to kick him! He plays like Messi," he said.

HowYouDoin

So any chance this kid can make an impact on the 1st team yet or straight into the reserves? We're desperately crying out for a right winger!
The way I look at it, he is miles better than Dan James and think thats immediately obvious if you just watch both of them play for 10 minutes.
You dont need to be fotball scientist to notice a huge gap in talent and quality between them two.

So yes I do think there is a chance he not only significantly contributes to the first team, I do think there is a chance he starts too.

DRM

The way I look at it, he is miles better than Dan James and think thats immediately obvious if you just watch both of them play for 10 minutes.
You dont need to be fotball scientist to notice a huge gap in talent and quality between them two.

So yes I do think there is a chance he not only significantly contributes to the first team, I do think there is a chance he starts too.
That's great, thanks mate!

Jibbs

I remember reading on redcafe back then. I don't know if those threads are archived here, everyone here at the time thought we should go for Quaresma, who was certainly the more well regarded of the two. Then there were rumors we will sign both Quaresma and Ronaldo. It actually came as a surprise to mant here when we only signed Ronaldo for 12m.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Yeah he came on for 15 minutes on the left in the CL. He's a versatile player. I'm still wondering what your reasoning is for saying he won't end up on the right.
Nothing concrete. I don't think it's a certainty that we're set up to have players in fixed positions at the front anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.