View full 2023-24 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Valencia Shin Crosses

I liked some of his work rate and some of his bursts of speed. We know he has the technique, and I think he can be somewhere similar to Antony and Sancho. All 3 of them are young and not an issue at all if we keep him as part of that rotation. But I don't think any of the 3 have the potential that Garnacho has or don't think they can reach Rashfords level. Which isn't a problem, but just generally speaking. On one hand think it'd be better for amad to get a PL loan so he plays regularly, on the other hand he can be a good squad player and good Antony competition right away.
I think Amad is clearly better than Antony already. Sancho has his own issues that have nothing to do with pure ability, but in a market where left footed RW's are so difficult to find we'd be stupid to loan one of our brightest prospects out when the other two options are lackluster at best.

The main difference between those three and Garnacho though is the obvious take on ability/burst that the latter has. It's already an elite skill that translates in matches, so you can easily project the player he could be come if he refines his technique/decision making/final 3rd product.

MDFC Manager

I think Amad is clearly better than Antony already. Sancho has his own issues that have nothing to do with pure ability, but in a market where left footed RW's are so difficult to find we'd be stupid to loan one of our brightest prospects out when the other two options are lackluster at best.

The main difference between those three and Garnacho though is the obvious take on ability/burst that the latter has. It's already an elite skill that translates in matches, so you can easily project the player he could be come if he refines his technique/decision making/final 3rd product.
I feel his decision making and final ball is already pretty good i think. Just needs to play often, with a better target man ahead of him.

criticalanalysis

I liked some of his work rate and some of his bursts of speed. We know he has the technique, and I think he can be somewhere similar to Antony and Sancho. All 3 of them are young and not an issue at all if we keep him as part of that rotation. But I don't think any of the 3 have the potential that Garnacho has or don't think they can reach Rashfords level. Which isn't a problem, but just generally speaking. On one hand think it'd be better for amad to get a PL loan so he plays regularly, on the other hand he can be a good squad player and good Antony competition right away.
We have to be careful with expectations about Garnacho. His potential is mostly unfulfilled at the moment. Right now we know he is a menace on the ball when there's a bit of space, in transition, against tired legs and he's shown composure but there's a lot of growing from him both physically and in experience. If he continues on his current trajectory then sure but that's not a given.

He may become that but right now, that's crazy talk. Antony is a hardened seasoned professional compared (multiple league and CL campaigns) to Amad.

Whatever you'd hope for Amad to grow into and be able to deliver i.e better dribbling, more composure with productivity (through balls, crosses and goals), passing and attacking play are the same things Antony has equally the same amount of potential to improve on.

jesperjaap

He may or may not be, havent watched any pre-season, watched a few games for Sunderland and just as even in his brief appearances for us before goin gon loan, he obviously has ability....but lets get some balanve here. We cant say he is clearly better than anyone based off championshp football and a couple of friendlies.

The only concerns I have on him so far are him being so amall in a physical league and as you almost allude to as well, he doesnt have that burst of pace, nether it seems does Sancho or Antony either. ELanga has it but that it, still want to see more of Pellestri personally.

But we do have good options and I still think ANtony forgetting the huge fee actually did ok in his first seasson and shows plenty of ability, whether he progresses or not is anotehr thing and he has some proper competition, we really do have some proper talent in my opinion on both flanks and lets not forget Lacey who could well come through in the next couple of seasons too

El Zoido

We have to be careful with expectations about Garnacho. His potential is mostly unfulfilled at the moment. Right now we know he is a menace on the ball when there's a bit of space, in transition, against tired legs and he's shown composure but there's a lot of growing from him both physically and in experience. If he continues on his current trajectory then sure but that's not a given.

He may become that but right now, that's crazy talk. Antony is a hardened seasoned professional compared (multiple league and CL campaigns) to Amad.

Whatever you'd hope for Amad to grow into and be able to deliver i.e better dribbling, more composure with productivity (through balls, crosses and goals), passing and attacking play are the same things Antony has equally the same amount of potential to improve on.
Amad is learning fast though. He needs to play for us next season, sink or swim. He’ll get better experience staying at United than anywhere he’ll go on loan, assuming he plays enough games, and I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t.

El Jefe

Being totally honest he's yet to show that he's too good to be loaned out after these two games. We still have the rest of the tour for him to prove that but that should be what he needs to convince EtH of.

Neat and tidy bits of play but no real impact on the game. Garnacho last season showed the impact you need to force your way into the team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Not saying whether I agree or disagree with the original point but I don't really believe in this way of thinking anymore, sometimes a player is just better, they don't need 5 years of topflight football to prove it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Being totally honest he's yet to show that he's too good to be loaned out after these two games. We still have the rest of the tour for him to prove that but that should be what he needs to convince EtH of.

Neat and tidy bits of play but no real impact on the game. Garnacho last season showed the impact you need to force your way into the team.
Two points:

A) Amad seems to start off slow. He wasn't very impactful early in his career at Sunderland either. I remember their fans saying the same thing. Wonder what the point of amad was. Another said that we paid that much for him? Guaranteed not to make it at united.
Giovanni wrote him off after a couple of games.

B) amad and garnacho are different sort of players. Its clear that garnacho will be a winger for most of his career. Amad won't be a RW for all of his. A playmaker/RW hybrid is most likely.
Their progression/development cycle will be different

Valencia Shin Crosses

"Hardened seasoned professional" doesn't mean shit to me to be completely honest. I look at both based on ability and potential production. Antony, despite his price tag, has never been a proven outlet for production since his introduction into Europe (which was a huge reason many were skeptical for paying that much for him). Amad is quite clearly the smoother technical player as well as being much more comfortable passing and shooting on his right foot and has better decision making around the box.

My point is there isn't a Saka type elite producer in the squad for that position. Clearly we prefer a left footer on the right side, so Sancho is probably down the pecking order to start. Therefore, we are left with either Antony or Amad (with neither being expected to become Robben in terms of production), and I think Amad would fit miles better into the attack and offer more than Antony apart from a slightly better ball retention rate and probably a bit higher work rate defensively.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He may or may not be, havent watched any pre-season, watched a few games for Sunderland and just as even in his brief appearances for us before goin gon loan, he obviously has ability....but lets get some balanve here. We cant say he is clearly better than anyone based off championshp football and a couple of friendlies.

The only concerns I have on him so far are him being so amall in a physical league and as you almost allude to as well, he doesnt have that burst of pace, nether it seems does Sancho or Antony either. ELanga has it but that it, still want to see more of Pellestri personally.

But we do have good options and I still think ANtony forgetting the huge fee actually did ok in his first seasson and shows plenty of ability, whether he progresses or not is anotehr thing and he has some proper competition, we really do have some proper talent in my opinion on both flanks and lets not forget Lacey who could well come through in the next couple of seasons too
I'm saying he's better based off pure footballing ability honestly. There's quite simply more in his locker. Would he have a better season than Antony did last year? No way to really know of course, but it's not like the Brazilian had anything close to a good season. He was merely "okay" but as I've said before I have serious doubts about his actual potential and "ceiling" as I think there are traits he simply lacks at a basic level to be anything more than a rotational player for a top side. Mainly those being his one footedness and horrific passing ability for someone that doesn't offer tremendous take on ability either. Makes for a severely limited player. But hey, hopefully he proves me wrong and turns into Nani this year tearing up the RW.

criticalanalysis

Amad is learning fast though. He needs to play for us next season, sink or swim. He’ll get better experience staying at United than anywhere he’ll go on loan, assuming he plays enough games, and I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t.
No issue with thinking he can become better because I think he's got bags of ability but claiming he's there now is Fifa talk.

Not saying whether I agree or disagree with the original point but I don't really believe in this way of thinking anymore, sometimes a player is just better, they don't need 5 years of topflight football to prove it.
Amad's EFL Championship's highlights are impressive but that is exactly that, what's being said is pure projection.

"Hardened seasoned professional" doesn't mean shit to me to be completely honest. I look at both based on ability and potential production. Antony, despite his price tag, has never been a proven outlet for production since his introduction into Europe (which was a huge reason many were skeptical for paying that much for him). Amad is quite clearly the smoother technical player as well as being much more comfortable passing and shooting on his right foot and has better decision making around the box.

My point is there isn't a Saka type elite producer in the squad for that position. Clearly we prefer a left footer on the right side, so Sancho is probably down the pecking order to start. Therefore, we are left with either Antony or Amad (with neither being expected to become Robben in terms of production), and I think Amad would fit miles better into the attack and offer more than Antony apart from a slightly better ball retention rate and probably a bit higher work rate defensively.
Again pure projection.

I have no issue with thinking Amad has better attributes but claiming he's clear of Antony is based on nothing.

Garnacho, who is probably the closest we have in the squad in terms of being a mercurial talent after having stunning productivity off the bench, struggled once he started games last season. It's not that black and white. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Amad get more minutes because he does have interesting dribbling and playmaking ability but the disrespect on Antony is mad.

Thinking Amad can suddenly step up, produce a full season of games against grown men, lock down his wing (offensively and defensively) and thinking he's going to get lots of opportunity on the ball to do his thing like at Sunderland is more on hope. The truth is that he'll have to be producing (with key passes, assists and goals) and not be a defensive liability. That bar was relatively low and set by Antony last season but it was definitely delivered.

Expecting Amad to make that jump and not expecting Antony to improve is a big bet.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I can see why decision on Greenwood is still going..

NoPace

Should have finished one of his chances but encouraging that he got them.

Sylar

Should have finished one of his chances but encouraging that he got them.
Hes getting into good positions. Im actually surprised at how much hes not hitting the target yet, as I thought he would at least do that. But its early, so more minutes will mean more sharpness. He looks natural on the right, so him and Antony on that side is fine.

jesperjaap

I'm saying he's better based off pure footballing ability honestly. There's quite simply more in his locker. Would he have a better season than Antony did last year? No way to really know of course, but it's not like the Brazilian had anything close to a good season. He was merely "okay" but as I've said before I have serious doubts about his actual potential and "ceiling" as I think there are traits he simply lacks at a basic level to be anything more than a rotational player for a top side. Mainly those being his one footedness and horrific passing ability for someone that doesn't offer tremendous take on ability either. Makes for a severely limited player. But hey, hopefully he proves me wrong and turns into Nani this year tearing up the RW.
Think he started off ok and did pretty well in Europe and personally I think he has good vision so there is a lot of room for improvement with Antony and also feel Amad has very good potential....whether either can step up to the demands this season we an only see this season dependant on the opporunities they get and whether its rightly or wrongly, it is more likely Antoy is going to be getting them isnt it

Valencia Shin Crosses

Again pure projection.

I have no issue with thinking Amad has better attributes but claiming he's clear of Antony is based on nothing.

Garnacho, who is probably the closest we have in the squad in terms of being a mercurial talent after having stunning productivity off the bench, struggled once he started games last season. It's not that black and white. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Amad get more minutes because he does have interesting dribbling and playmaking ability but the disrespect on Antony is mad.

Thinking Amad can suddenly step up, produce a full season of games against grown men, lock down his wing (offensively and defensively) and thinking he's going to get lots of opportunity on the ball to do his thing like at Sunderland is more on hope. The truth is that he'll have to be producing (with key passes, assists and goals) and not be a defensive liability. That bar was relatively low and set by Antony last season but it was definitely delivered.

Expecting Amad to make that jump and not expecting Antony to improve is a big bet.
It's based on actually watching both players in countless matches now and gauging the relative ability of both

Also Amad literally "produced a full season of games against grown men" just last year.

And you really think Antony "produced" last year? He was the worst of all of our attackers in creation while taking more shots than anyone on the team not named Rashford. And for all of those shots he scored... 8 times with a whopping 0.32 G/A per 90 and only 4 goals in the league. Again, I'd have no issues with Antony if I thought he was just a "raw talent", but there are clear limitations to his game that don't just magically improve with more minutes and seasons under his belt.

arthurka

Amad and Antony are a very underwhelming options on the right. I don't see it with Amad and the less said about Antony the better.

criticalanalysis

It's based on actually watching both players in countless matches now and gauging the relative ability of both

Also Amad literally "produced a full season of games against grown men" just last year.

And you really think Antony "produced" last year? He was the worst of all of our attackers in creation while taking more shots than anyone on the team not named Rashford. And for all of those shots he scored... 8 times with a whopping 0.32 G/A per 90 and only 4 goals in the league. Again, I'd have no issues with Antony if I thought he was just a "raw talent", but there are clear limitations to his game that don't just magically improve with more minutes and seasons under his belt.
Amad produced against Championship sides whilst being fed the ball left, right and centre and being favoured heavily by his manager. He did really well under the circumstances, which suited and in some ways were tailored for him. Put Antony there and he would have done the same and imo much more but that's not a slight on Amad because he's older and more experienced; it says more about the quality of the league (in comparison to the PL).

I think Antony produced the bare minimum and I see him improving because he has the technical and athletic qualities along with a dogged mentality. His biggest issue is decision making, which I realise isn't something that is easy improve on but based on what we saw last year, he's got all the tools to do it as I believe he massively underachieved on it. A year of growth and better players in the team should help (as it would any other player).

Amad may easily become a better or more productive player in the future but at this time and point, he's not Mbappe levels of talent and until he shows it in the first team, it's conjecture to say he's 'clearly better' than Antony.

pascell

Must be new to the rodeo.

You clearly aren't aware of the super-scouts/coaches we have at our fingertips here at the Caf. These guys are footie Nostradumass.
We're privileged to be in such company.

Even ten Hag hasn't noticed that Fred would actually make a good LB and Shaw would be best played in CM.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We're privileged to be in such company.

Even ten Hag hasn't noticed that Fred would actually make a good LB and Shaw would be best played in CM.
Fred? In my expert opinion, I reckon he would make a better goalie. Ball playing one. Murtough could have saved the club millions if only they read my opinions.

You heard it here first.

Dumb feck. I bet he couldn't even get past the newbie stage of the Caf.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Back to Diallo, genuinely hope he carries on impressing and is given a chance to compete for the RW spot, I think he has great potential

arthurka

Based on the first 2 pre-season games?
No not really, I watched most games with United last season and saw Antony play his part, plus I watched a fair share of the Championship last season and really didn't see Amad absolutely kill it he looked good in a not so good league. He lacks pace and it's not strong enough. Antony just is way too one dimensional.
Hope I am wrong though and I probably am.

mancan92

No not really, I watched most games with United last season and saw Antony play his part, plus I watched a fair share of the Championship last season and really didn't see Amad absolutely kill it he looked good in a not so good league. He lacks pace and it's not strong enough. Antony just is way too one dimensional.
Hope I am wrong though and I probably am.
Huh? He was one of the best players in the championship last season. He wasn't just good.

Jam

My personal favorites are the suggestions that AWB could excel in midfield
“Describe AWB’s best attributes”

“His intelligent movement around the park off the ball creating space, his eye for a pass and the technique to break up defences, his well timed bursts forward”

UpWithRivers

We need one of them to get 10/15 goals and 5/10 assists if we aren't getting a 20 goal striker. If I had a gun to my head I'd bet on Sancho then Amad then Antony.

RuudTom83

Ideally you want to see the fringe/young players one at a time surrounded by the first team.

So we need to see how Amad looks with Bruno/Casemiro behind him and Rashford in front.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How did he play against Lyon? I only saw the second half. I’m really hoping he can make a big impression in preseason and the opportunities are slipping by.
A few days ago so blurry image but I remember he was operating the ball well, he seems to be able to dribble in all directions freely and his use of the space is quite ok. In that way he is similar to Antony as they both seem reliable on the ball. He plays with his head up and makes some clever passes (I always like when the weight of the pass is right). He did waste a chance (straight at the keeper) and some passes were easily intercepted (you can see the idea, but it was just risky - not an issue really in that kind of game).

He doesn't seem particularly fast and strong, looks like he's more of a wide playmaker who has good vision and spacial awareness but a flying winger he is not. Also a bit weak defensively, not sure if that's fitness or just bad positioning. In that regard he's levels below Antony (although it is very small sample and based on two friendly games I saw). It wasn't very impressive

Different player to Antony that's for sure. I wouldn't say there's much between them, Amad looks like he has more control on the ball and better vision/creativity but doesn't seem to contribute much defensively.

Edit: Looking at that clip, I think my description is not quite right. He actually had a nice performance with some silky moves, although he doesn't challenge the fullback at all.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A few days ago so blurry image but I remember he was operating the ball well, he seems to be able to dribble in all directions freely and his use of the space is quite ok. In that way he is similar to Antony as they both seem reliable on the ball. He plays with his head up and makes some clever passes (I always like when the weight of the pass is right). He did waste a chance (straight at the keeper) and some passes were easily intercepted (you can see the idea, but it was just risky - not an issue really in that kind of game).

He doesn't seem particularly fast and strong, looks like he's more of a wide playmaker who has good vision and spacial awareness but a flying winger he is not. Also a bit weak defensively, not sure if that's fitness or just bad positioning. In that regard he's levels below Antony (although it is very small sample and based on two friendly games I saw). It wasn't very impressive

Different player to Antony that's for sure. I wouldn't say there's much between them, Amad looks like he has more control on the ball and better vision/creativity but doesn't seem to contribute much defensively.

Edit: Looking at that clip, I think my description is not quite right. He actually had a nice performance with some silky moves, although he doesn't challenge the fullback at all.
Ok, cool. Thanks.