View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Valencia Shin Crosses

Amad produced against Championship sides whilst being fed the ball left, right and centre and being favoured heavily by his manager. He did really well under the circumstances, which suited and in some ways were tailored for him. Put Antony there and he would have done the same and imo much more but that's not a slight on Amad because he's older and more experienced; it says more about the quality of the league (in comparison to the PL).

I think Antony produced the bare minimum and I see him improving because he has the technical and athletic qualities along with a dogged mentality. His biggest issue is decision making, which I realise isn't something that is easy improve on but based on what we saw last year, he's got all the tools to do it as I believe he massively underachieved on it. A year of growth and better players in the team should help (as it would any other player).

Amad may easily become a better or more productive player in the future but at this time and point, he's not Mbappe levels of talent and until he shows it in the first team, it's conjecture to say he's 'clearly better' than Antony.
What if I told you Amad actually shot significantly less than Antony while producing more?

Also people say Antony has "technical qualities" but in reality he's one footed and is a poor passer of the football at a basic level. He's got excellent ball retention (probably his best trait) and is decent in tight spaces, but he's not great running with the football (just watch any time we get on the break and he has to run with the ball at pace) so he can't be a Rashford style inside forward playing off the shoulder. Again, if he was this Vini Jr level raw winger talent I wouldn't have the same issues with his lack of end product. But he doesn't really present a threat 1v1 to make up for his lack of creativity or final third decision making, and in all you get a player that is inefficient in ways that aren't easily improved upon given the traits. It's why I keep calling him a mid table winger, because I think he'd look right at home for Wolves or Crystal Palace or any of those sides that have wingers with some trickery but ultimately aren't good enough at key things to make the step up to better sides.

criticalanalysis

What if I told you Amad actually shot significantly less than Antony while producing more?
Are you trying to compare a player's stats in the Championship to someone, who played with no pre-season and in his first year to the Premier League?

This extrapolation is crazy.

Also people say Antony has "technical qualities" but in reality he's one footed and is a poor passer of the football at a basic level. He's got excellent ball retention (probably his best trait) and is decent in tight spaces, but he's not great running with the football (just watch any time we get on the break and he has to run with the ball at pace) so he can't be a Rashford style inside forward playing off the shoulder. Again, if he was this Vini Jr level raw winger talent I wouldn't have the same issues with his lack of end product. But he doesn't really present a threat 1v1 to make up for his lack of creativity or final third decision making, and in all you get a player that is inefficient in ways that aren't easily improved upon given the traits. It's why I keep calling him a mid table winger, because I think he'd look right at home for Wolves or Crystal Palace or any of those sides that have wingers with some trickery but ultimately aren't good enough at key things to make the step up to better sides.
You clearly have very set and determined views on Antony so let's just agree to disagree. I can accept people saying they're of 'similar' quality or potential but to say Amad is 'clearly better' based on Championship games and youtube highlights (because that's all we've seen of his from his time at Atlanta and here at Utd) is mad.

Neither Amad or Antony are Vini Jr raw talent and perhaps Antony isn't that much clear ahead of Amad as a player but he is definitely not behind. This is Fifa talk and pure projection.

Let's revisit this after August to see where we are as a team and their respective contributions.

TheRedHearted

Exactly. There’s no evidence antony will magically over come poor decision making, one of the most important things in football. Of course he can though, and I hope he does. But he may very well just be a squad player who has a goal in him. The good thing is he managed to score in some massive games, but otherwise looks lost and raw. I think Erik can work with him because I have a lot of faith in Erik. Let’s see.
Sancho still has better numbers than Antony last year. People forget that

Abraxas

I've not seen much from Antony that convinces me he is more talented than Amad.

Yes one played in the Championship and one played in the PL so it's an awkward comparison in direct terms, but Antony didn't actually produce anything particularly great that would say to me there's any reason he should be raised above Amad. If the PL performances were better it would be a lot more compelling. Generally he didn't have great output, he had absolutely abysmal creativity considering we know he's not a dynamic player that attacks fullbacks, you would therefore expect some incisive playmaking. He cut in and shot all the damn time and only a fraction of that was in any way effective. The best thing he did was retain the ball. Which is definitely a good thing, but as a primary attribute for a frontline attacker it's not enough,

Should be a 50/50 race for that spot. It probably won't be initially because Antony currently has the manager's trust and managers don't generally like dropping players they substantially invest in until the situation develops further than it would with a player they didn't buy. That's just a quirk of managers and egos so its to be expected Antony will be given some scope to improve.

Ultimately I think we would have been better off if we pocketed the ridiculous fee we spent on Antony and backed Amad to begin with. Let him sink or swim and reinvesting that money elsewhere. Given I don't see a clear talent differential it would have been better IMO. I think Amad could have done a lot of the same stuff, it was really just having a left footed right sided player that has a decent technical baseline. That's the most that could be said for Antony.

IrishRedDevil

Waiting for him to take grip of a game and put his stamp on it.
Anytime I watch him he is just coasting through the game as another number.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Hope it's not too bad, think he will go on loan.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It’s a shame, hopefully it’s just precautionary.

Anyway I’d rather see him go out on loan again because he really needs further development as a player. The hype and his performances don’t tally.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s a shame, hopefully it’s just precautionary.

Anyway I’d rather see him go out on loan again because he really needs further development as a player. The hype and his performances don’t tally.
The talent is there. Guaranteed. He just needs to pay more to gain more confidence/maturity to impose or express himself when playing with senior United players. He is playing well within himself.
A loan will do him some good.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The talent is there. Guaranteed. He just needs to pay more to gain more confidence/maturity to impose or express himself when playing with senior United players. He is playing well within himself.
A loan will do him some good.
Yep it seems so. He looks very Sancho in how he plays, considering even Sancho is being worked on to broaden his game.
Talent alone won’t make him the player we’d want him to develop into.

Crimson King

It might just be precautionary, they normally put players in protective boots and give them crutches now just to aid recovery as much as possible.

I mean I'd be surprised to see him feature on the tour again, but this doesn't necessarily mean anything is broken or torn, could just be badly sprained and swollen. Weeks out, rather than months.

Let's just hope that's the case anyway, for the lad's sake.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Man, you really do feel like sometimes things are not meant to work out at United for some players.

He was pretty much fit for all of last season, as far as I know, and he gets injured a couple of games into our pre-season tour.

laughtersassassin

Happy to see it's nothing too serious

Shame he will likely miss all of pre season but I hope it means he won't go out on loan as I think he can contribute when he is back.

Especially as Antony gets a decent amount of injuries and Sanchos career with us could still go either way

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Got the same verbiage as Mainoo, out for first part of the season. Guessing 2 months then? Shite luck from him and Kobbie. Though I'm a bit concerned with Amads injuries, feel like they are pretty frequent.

Glorio

Got the same verbiage as Mainoo, out for first part of the season. Guessing 2 months then? Shite luck from him and Kobbie. Though I'm a bit concerned with Amads injuries, feel like they are pretty frequent.
I don't think they're that frequent but they've happened at critical points.

Arsenal doctor sabotaging us from within? :nono:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Feck me. This has to be one of the shittiest pre-seasons ever. Crap results, so so performances and the two youngsters most likely to stake a claim for the first team not only missing most of the preseason but missing the start of the season too. Absolute fecking shit show.

CM

Feck me. This has to be one of the shittiest pre-seasons ever. Crap results, so so performances and the two youngsters most likely to stake a claim for the first team not only missing most of the preseason but missing the start of the season too. Absolute fecking shit show.
Sounds like the plan was to loan Amad out anyway. If the injury means he gets the opportunity to break through here once he returns, it might not be the worst thing in the world.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What does first part of the season mean? Absolutely shit that two bright young talents who could have made a make at the start of the season are both out. Hoping both him and Mainoo aren’t out for longer than two months