View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

led_scholes

Question is do we sign Olise or give Diallo the spot to develop?
Personally, I would go for Diallo. The issue is that we don't have anyone else there. Olise is 22 years old. No point having two young players competing for the same spot. We should look for a 28 years old guy, like Bowen but cheaper.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Question is do we sign Olise or give Diallo the spot to develop?
We have 4 right wingers under contract. It will all depend how many we will sell. We can't ditch 3 and go into season with only Amad.
Personally i would keep Sancho (:nervous:) and Amad.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Getting Olise would be such a Manchester United move. I rate him but we have too many problems to solve in midfield and defence that we need to take a risk with Amad/Garnacho/Mount/Bruno/your mom/Antony on the right for next season, in that order.

sherrinford

If you can shift Sancho, Antony, Greenwood and Pellestri, you can invest that cash into Olise and have two options for that right wing spot.
In Amad and Garnacho we would still have two options for that spot, and two players who offer very different qualities and tactical possibilities in that area.

It's not like we would run out of other areas to invest in if we moved on all those players.

Dan_F

Setting up a team and tactics has everything to do with picking the best personnel to get results and manage them for the whole season. On the one hand you justify Amad's lack of game time with 'because ETH knows' but how do you explain playing a 19 year old Garnacho and a 18 year old Mainoo with no midfied in almost every game when available this season when they've clearly been tired and played way too much? Or Amrabat, who surprise surprise is not as shit as we'd all thought based on 5 min cameos here and there when he got two game starts in a row.

The whole basis of your doubt is basically 'because they're professionals and we don't know better', which is ludicrous. I'd imagine you've never criticised anybody regarding Utd then because that logic applies exactly the same. Of course we don't know for sure 100% what the reasons are but when you've got a whole season of results, line ups, substitutions, performances on the pitch and stats to evaluate then it's arguably way more informed than whatever you're suggesting.
Well Garnacho and Mainoo aren’t Amad for a start. Age isn’t linear, just because Garnacho is 19 or Mainoo is 18, it doesn’t mean they’re not better developed for Premier League football than Amad at 21. Garnacho was also the one starting over Amad for the vast majority of the time of the time since January when Amad came back from a long term injury.

I’m not saying that people are above criticism because they’re professionals, however it seems reasonable to me that a team of people who are working with Amad every day probably know more than us. I know people are just begging for any reason to criticise the club/manager at the moment, but there was a time when easing in a youngster and having them perform when they did get starts would have been accepted as a good way of managing them.

Also, Amrabat has looked shit in plenty of starts this season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
In Amad and Garnacho we would still have two options for that spot, and two players who offer very different qualities and tactical possibilities in that area.

It's not like we would run out of other areas to invest in if we moved on all those players.
Did we just not go through a season where we lost five center backs and theee let backs to injury and have had to rely on Casemiro and Amrabat moonlighting there? What if you lose Garnacho and Rashford for a few months? Are you fine with Amad and Mount for the wing rotation playing in four competitions?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Setting up a team and tactics has everything to do with picking the best personnel to get results and manage them for the whole season. On the one hand you justify Amad's lack of game time with 'because ETH knows' but how do you explain playing a 19 year old Garnacho and a 18 year old Mainoo with no midfied in almost every game when available this season when they've clearly been tired and played way too much? Or Amrabat, who surprise surprise is not as shit as we'd all thought based on 5 min cameos here and there when he got two game starts in a row.

The whole basis of your doubt is basically 'because they're professionals and we don't know better', which is ludicrous. I'd imagine you've never criticised anybody regarding Utd then because that logic applies exactly the same. Of course we don't know for sure 100% what the reasons are but when you've got a whole season of results, line ups, substitutions, performances on the pitch and stats to evaluate then it's arguably way more informed than whatever you're suggesting.

He did exactly that in his appearance with the game winning goal against Liverpool. After his one match ban, he didn't play a single minute for another 3 games. As for the mentioned players, nobody is saying he should have replaced all or taken even the majority of their minutes (even perhaps Antony) but he should have had way more opportunities. That's not even mentioning how Forson came on and got more time than him from December.

As for merit, isn't that exactly what people are saying? If Rashford or Antony are not playing well, what do you know about what they are doing off the pitch that justifies them playing ahead of Amad? You don't. So to suggest people asking Amad to play (and in your opinion) not based on merit is a false equivalence. We can only judge what we see on the field.

As for your comment about people getting excited over a poor Newcastle, we've lost to worse teams and played even worse. What does that say about the merit of the players, who played in those games and still had dozens of games afterwards? It doesn't. It just proves ETH has been consistently bad with his tactics, picking of personnel and recognising the form/condition of his players, which is exactly the whole point of 'Amad should have played more'. It's really not rocket science or that controversial but some people are being so contrarian, it really boggles the mind.
As I said to another poster, Antony also came on and kicked off that comeback and as I've also said in this thread, Antony seems to put in the odd good performance when his position is under thread then goes back to ineffective. The Forson point is always a strange one, as we're talking about 4 mins off the bench, where he did a good bit of work to let Mainoo do his thing and 53 mins against Fulham. Amad got minutes against Bournemouth, Coventry (all of ET), Sheffield and Burnley. He didn't thrust himself into contention with any of those performances.

Thats my point about merit, judging on the field. He's been OK in all his appearances from the bench bar the Liverpool game, an argument for him to be in the team because Rashford, Antony or Garnacho aren't playing well is not an argument for him - it's an argument against them.

Again, the argument for Amad needs to be about his quality, not just another stick to beat Ten Hag with. I'm not trying to be contrarian by the way.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If you can shift Sancho, Antony, Greenwood and Pellestri, you can invest that cash into Olise and have two options for that right wing spot.
I would actually think about rotating Amad and Pellestri and save the money for other areas. Pellestri is doing very well on loan, I do understand he could make us a bit of money though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I would actually think about rotating Amad and Pellestri and save the money for other areas. Pellestri is doing very well on loan, I do understand he could make us a bit of money though.
Going an entire season with Amad, who’s missed 27 games to injury and Pellestri for that position feels incredibly risky.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's mint. I'll say it again, start him in the remaining games on the RW.
I'm sure Ten Hag now trusts him. There was a lot of anger against Ten Hag for not starting him sooner, but his problem was never on the ball but off it. There were games where he was lacking in tracking back or positioning which is totally normal for a young player. He's clearly gotten the hang of what he's expected to do off the ball and he's a lot more decisive than Antony or Rashford off it.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm sure Ten Hag now trusts him. There was a lot of anger against Ten Hag for not starting him sooner, but his problem was never on the ball but off it. There were games where he was lacking in tracking back or positioning which is totally normal for a young player. He's clearly gotten the hang of what he's expected to do off the ball and he's a lot more decisive than Antony or Rashford off it.
Good points. He worked hard off the ball last night and against Arsenal but it's clever movement and decisiveness I like. So hard to get the ball from too. So much better than Antony it's crazy.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hes started back to back. If he starts at Brighton I think the indication is clear.
I think (hope) he's moved ahead of Antony now, but Rashford returning is the issue for Amad.

Garnacho is clearly our first choice winger atm, but his ability to play on either side means Amad is competing with both Antony and Rashford for the remaining spot. If Rashford does well (either from the start or off the bench) against Brighton, I reckon he will probably start against City. Especially as Garnacho has been better on the right this season than he has on the left.

Skills

Snitch
Once again a club signing actually turns out to be a better signing than a managers personal pet project.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think (hope) he's moved ahead of Antony now, but Rashford returning is the issue for Amad.

Garnacho is clearly our first choice winger atm, but his ability to play on either side means Amad is competing with both Antony and Rashford for the remaining spot. If Rashford does well (either from the start or off the bench) against Brighton, I reckon he will probably start against City. Especially as Garnacho has been better on the right this season than he has on the left.
I think you're right. Which is a pity because Diallo played far better than Garnacho last night (and better than he's played over the last several games) as well as playing better than Rashford has in almost any match this season. If we're going to pick a team based on form then Diallo has to start against Brighton. If he plays that well again, he has to start the final, no matter who misses out.

EdinburghDevil

He done really well last night and expect him to start at the weekend. Really well taken goal, work rate was top class and he linked well with others.

Think Rashford will start on the left at the weekend and Garnacho will rest up ahead of the cup final. Will be nice place for EtH to be that he might actually have a selection headache for the right reasons for a change!!

Gordon S

Amad has been one of the best players on the pitch against Arsenal and Newcastle. And he was one of the best players on the pitch for the 30 or so minutes he got against Liverpool. It is not about a kid adding some energy and playing with a smile. This is his level. He is a very wellrounded and silky smooth attacking player. As was also evident all of last season at Sunderland. He should very much be considered as a starting option for next season.

Mike Smalling

He clearly still has some immaturity/naivety to his game. Like yesterday when he dribbled in his own half and got dispossessed, or the sending off vs. Liverpool. I think it's clear that his quality makes up for it compared to Antony, but I imagine that might be why ETH has been holding back on playing him.

Hope we get to see more of him this season, and a lot more after the summer.

captaincantona

Did anyone see his post match on Bein sports?

he is asked about kicking on next season and he gives a very standard “I’m only focused on the next game” type of answer.

considering his supposed frustration earlier in the season where he deleted references to Utd from his socials - and considering the universal acceptance that ETH has not given him a fair crack so far - even after the Liverpool game…

should we be worried he wants out or could be tempted away?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pleasing, but not surprising. Should definitely have played more this season.

He needs a run in the team because he will show more. He isn't the finished article but I think he is a level above Antony both currently and with regard to potential.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He clearly still has some immaturity/naivety to his game. Like yesterday when he dribbled in his own half and got dispossessed, or the sending off vs. Liverpool. I think it's clear that his quality makes up for it compared to Antony, but I imagine that might be why ETH has been holding back on playing him.

Hope we get to see more of him this season, and a lot more after the summer.
Yes that is definitely true, but what you do when you have players like this with so much ability is play them - if you do, their all round game should mature and there will be fewer mistakes. ETH did it with Mainoo but partly because he was forced into it. He should have put Amad in earlier, as so many others have said. At least we are here now. If we are to get back, it is the young players like this who will get us there.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Thank goodness he got his chance and took it. He could easily have ended up being sold on the cheap this summer. At least now Ineos can see he has something about him.

Gordon S

:lol:
Despite spending 400m in two years, our best players are those youngsters that ETH stumbled upon by accident.
Just shows how important it is to just let the guys that are working fulltime evaluating talents at our recruiting department do their job and listen to them.

Abraxas

This is a pretty sore one for ETH. It's better late than never.

But when the ridiculous signing of Antony comes to symbolise your failed eye for a player and you have a fella sat there at your own club that is substantially better in the same position it's a bit of a double feck up to say the least.

I still think Amad has a long way to go but he's a talent, which is what we need. We have given Hojlund plenty of scope, if we'd have done the same with Amad we'd be further along with him now. But I think he's at least nailed down his position in our squad for next season which would have been under some doubt had he not had this late showing. You can't manufacture the talent he has on the ball.

sugar_kane

Ten Hag gets a lot of criticism for not playing him but he's not been managed that differently from Garnacho was last season, who most people would say he's done a good job managing.

Garnacho saw 563 mins of PL action last season and 5 starts. Amad has had only had 2 PL starts this season but 313 mins.

Garnacho wasn't even a guaranteed starter this year until around December time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That performance compared to the body of work of Antony and Rashford have is obviously better, but remember they all scored that day.

Could he have got a couple more opportunities? yes. Could he have done more with the minutes he has had? also yes.

Remember the geese

Ten Hag gets a lot of criticism for not playing him but he's not been managed that differently from Garnacho was last season, who most people would say he's done a good job managing.

Garnacho saw 563 mins of PL action last season and 5 starts. Amad has had only had 2 PL starts this season but 313 mins.

Garnacho wasn't even a guaranteed starter this year until around December time.
Garnacho was an 18 year old kid fresh out of the academy. Amad is a 21 year old who was one of the best players in the Championship last season.

Amad has been injured, so it's not like ten Hag has been ignoring him all season. However, he's been far too loyal to Antony and Rashford, whilst even playing Forson over Amad on occasion.

Donut

World class management by ETH, he kept him hungry for the entire season and he’s unleashing him now.

Grande

This is a pretty sore one for ETH. It's better late than never.

But when the ridiculous signing of Antony comes to symbolise your failed eye for a player and you have a fella sat there at your own club that is substantially better in the same position it's a bit of a double feck up to say the least.

I still think Amad has a long way to go but he's a talent, which is what we need. We have given Hojlund plenty of scope, if we'd have done the same with Amad we'd be further along with him now. But I think he's at least nailed down his position in our squad for next season which would have been under some doubt had he not had this late showing. You can't manufacture the talent he has on the ball.
I think you have a good point about talent needing a scope. There is a short term sacrifice for long term gain. What few people reflect on in my opinion, is the accumulative scope of developping not one, but four players at a time (Garnacho, Højlund, Mainoo and Amad). It’s probably not accumulative, in fact, but rather exponential, and playing one can even have detrimental effects on the development of the other, because what they all lack is the same, continuity and experience with how team play works in that particualer team and at that particular level of speed and physicality.

Even Fergie didn’t actually throw all of Giggs, Butt, Scholes, Neville and Beckham in at the same time, despite them being generational and tight knit group with maturity above normal levels. It might seem like he did, but he actually blooded them gradually and at different times over several years, even if some remember it as them all going straight into the team in that 3-1 loss to Aston Villa in 1995.