View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

OverratedOpinion

No need to bow, but credit to you for your humility. Top clubs? He was signed by Manchester United for a significant amount of money. Better still, he's actually worth the investment we made.
So I point out that based on the performances you were talking about the best club interested in signing him on loan was Sunderland and your argument is what?

That he was signed for a good chunk by the geniuses that signed Antony, Mount, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Lukaku, Sancho ect. ect. For even more money.

If Man Utd sign you then you must be something special.

Remember the geese

So I point out that based on the performances you were talking about the best club interested in signing him on loan was Sunderland and your argument is what?

That he was signed for a good chunk by the geniuses that signed Antony, Mount, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, Lukaku, Sancho ect. ect. For even more money.

If Man Utd sign you then you must be something special.
What performances? The performances he made for our academy? Or a few sub appearances for Rangers? I'm pretty sure that Feyenoord were very interested in taking him on loan. Maybe you just haven't seen enough of him to appreciate his talent? It's very obvious to me.

I said that he was worth the investment we made. Yes, shock, we did something right! Though I do question the developmental path we have had for him.

OverratedOpinion

What performances? The performances he made for our academy? Or a few sub appearances for Rangers? I'm pretty sure that Feyenoord were very interested in taking him on loan. Maybe you just haven't seen enough of him to appreciate his talent? It's very obvious to me.

I said that he was worth the investment we made. Yes, shock, we did something right! Though I do question the developmental path we have had for him.
Well the majority of his appearances that came for us that you disputed the tag of "neat and tidy". Feyenoord were desperate we just had no one at the club with any links to the Dutch league.

Your argument is basically "he's really great you just don't understand because you don't have a great eye for talent like me" then being intentionally obtuse when I respond to what you're saying.

It's boring. I hope he is great, he hasn't shown it in his career so far but not every player bursts through at 19 so let's see and keep our fingers crossed as obviously that is not a strong area of the pitch for us.

OverratedOpinion

I'm surprised by lots of things, people doubling down on shit opinions shouldn't but always does.
I'm constantly surprised by people saying things like "plenty of Sunderland fans say Amad Diallo is the best player to ever play for their club" then not backing it up when questioned.

People are odd.

Remember the geese

Well the majority of his appearances that came for us that you disputed the tag of "neat and tidy". Feyenoord were desperate we just had no one at the club with any links to the Dutch league.

Your argument is basically "he's really great you just don't understand because you don't have a great eye for talent like me" then being intentionally obtuse when I respond to what you're saying.

It's boring. I hope he is great, he hasn't shown it in his career so far but not every player bursts through at 19 so let's see and keep our fingers crossed as obviously that is not a strong area of the pitch for us.
I said that he's been better than 'neat and tidy' on more than one occasion for us. Feyenoord would have been very fortunate to have had him on loan. Only an injury to Amad prevented it from happening. Would it have suited your agenda if Sevilla had come in for him? Like they did for Hannibal Mejbri for instance?

It's a genuine query. Perhaps you haven't seen all that much of Amad. You can be forgiven for not watching much of our academy or for not watching much of Sunderland last season. If you had seen a lot of Amad, then I'm sure you could appreciate the level of talent he is.

Indeed. Hopefully ten Hag has finally learnt his lesson there and persists with Amad.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm constantly surprised by people saying things like "plenty of Sunderland fans say Amad Diallo is the best player to ever play for their club" then not backing it up when questioned.

People are odd.
This took about 15 seconds of looking into the first Amad thread I could find on a SUFC forum

"Hope he hits the heights his talents deserve. Best player I've seen in a Sunderland shirt in many a year. Hopefully one day we can afford to bring him back home."

I remember reading plenty like it while he was there last season following his progress. Was pretty common to see supporters ask if he might be the most talented player to don the shirt for them. They all love him.

OverratedOpinion

I said that he's been better than 'neat and tidy' on more than one occasion for us. Feyenoord would have been very fortunate to have had him on loan. Only an injury to Amad prevented it from happening. Would it have suited your agenda if Sevilla had come in for him? Like they did for Hannibal Mejbri for instance?

It's a genuine query. Perhaps you haven't seen all that much of Amad. You can be forgiven for not watching much of our academy or for not watching much of Sunderland last season. If you had seen a lot of Amad, then I'm sure you could appreciate the level of talent he is.

Indeed. Hopefully ten Hag has finally learnt his lesson there and persists with Amad.
You keep shooting your own points in the foot. Hannibal has done enough for us to get a top flight loan and he hasn't done much at all.

I've seen every minute he has played for us and about a dozen or so for Sunderland, a lot of Atalanta highlights.

Anyway your weird stance of "you just don't understand talent like I do maaaan" is boring as I said. He's been okayish in the few times he has played top level football and had a stand out performance today. He's not a kid anymore so hopefully this is the new normal.

OverratedOpinion

This took about 15 seconds of looking into the first Amad thread I could find on a SUFC forum

"Hope he hits the heights his talents deserve. Best player I've seen in a Sunderland shirt in many a year. Hopefully one day we can afford to bring him back home."
So it took you a few seconds to find something that was not what was claimed?

I'll wait for some quotes of the many fans apparently saying he is "The best player they have ever seen play for the club" i.e. the statement that was questioned.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We have to learn from past mistakes because the money spent on Sancho, Antony and AWB was unnecessary imo because we had two youngsters at the club in Amad and Dalot who required a bit of patience. Hopefully with the Glazers not involved, we can make sensible decisions.
Dalot was not ready to be a starting RB when we signed AWB

Remember the geese

You keep shooting your own points in the foot. Hannibal has done enough for us to get a top flight loan and he hasn't done much at all.

I've seen every minute he has played for us and about a dozen or so for Sunderland, a lot of Atalanta highlights.

Anyway your weird stance of "you just don't understand talent like I do maaaan" is boring as I said. He's been okayish in the few times he has played top level football and had a stand out performance today. He's not a kid anymore so hopefully this is the new normal.
Hannibal hasn't done much for us at all. My point was that if he could get a loan move to Sevilla, then Amad could too.

That's the only possible stance I can imagine because if you had seen a lot of him, you'd realise that he's a quality talent. Though you claim you have seen a fair bit of him. 'The new normal'. That makes it sound as if he's been stinking it up for years like Antony has.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dalot was not ready to be a starting RB when we signed AWB
Wan Bissaka was never a starting RB for any team that aspired to play proactive attacking football. I said that at the time and that has proven to be correct.

Dalot was always a young player that had the potential to develop into a player for a proactive attacking coach and required patience so he could develop.

criticalanalysis

Setting up a team and tactics have nothing to do with managing a young player’s career. You’re both taking about completely different things to me. Sure, it might have been more beneficial to us right now to have Amad playing more minutes, but is it best for his career. Are they trying to change some behaviours or physical issues. Are they trying to ease him in because of his injury issues.

It’s mad that you think you know better than a whole team of professionals who have been working in football their whole adult lives. Ten Hag has nothing to gain from keeping him on the bench for no reason, especially when needing results.
Setting up a team and tactics has everything to do with picking the best personnel to get results and manage them for the whole season. On the one hand you justify Amad's lack of game time with 'because ETH knows' but how do you explain playing a 19 year old Garnacho and a 18 year old Mainoo with no midfied in almost every game when available this season when they've clearly been tired and played way too much? Or Amrabat, who surprise surprise is not as shit as we'd all thought based on 5 min cameos here and there when he got two game starts in a row.

The whole basis of your doubt is basically 'because they're professionals and we don't know better', which is ludicrous. I'd imagine you've never criticised anybody regarding Utd then because that logic applies exactly the same. Of course we don't know for sure 100% what the reasons are but when you've got a whole season of results, line ups, substitutions, performances on the pitch and stats to evaluate then it's arguably way more informed than whatever you're suggesting.

This was really the only time he's shown an all round performance, ie creative, goal threat, tidy in possession and did his defensive work. Let's not pretend that's all those 3 did all season, it's far more nuanced than that.

I hope this is where he kicks on and gets the minutes he's now truly earned. I've always said he should be getting them on his merit not the fact that Rashford or Antony have been dog, but I think people are getting a little over excited about one performance against a pretty shit Newcastle back line.
He did exactly that in his appearance with the game winning goal against Liverpool. After his one match ban, he didn't play a single minute for another 3 games. As for the mentioned players, nobody is saying he should have replaced all or taken even the majority of their minutes (even perhaps Antony) but he should have had way more opportunities. That's not even mentioning how Forson came on and got more time than him from December.

As for merit, isn't that exactly what people are saying? If Rashford or Antony are not playing well, what do you know about what they are doing off the pitch that justifies them playing ahead of Amad? You don't. So to suggest people asking Amad to play (and in your opinion) not based on merit is a false equivalence. We can only judge what we see on the field.

As for your comment about people getting excited over a poor Newcastle, we've lost to worse teams and played even worse. What does that say about the merit of the players, who played in those games and still had dozens of games afterwards? It doesn't. It just proves ETH has been consistently bad with his tactics, picking of personnel and recognising the form/condition of his players, which is exactly the whole point of 'Amad should have played more'. It's really not rocket science or that controversial but some people are being so contrarian, it really boggles the mind.

Last edited:

stepic

A performance like that and this is the conversation. People are weird.

in incredibly limited opportunity this season he’s shown once again that eth has no fecking clue

OverratedOpinion

Hannibal hasn't done much for us at all. My point was that if he could get a loan move to Sevilla, then Amad could too.

That's the only possible stance I can imagine because if you had seen a lot of him, you'd realise that he's a quality talent. Though you claim you have seen a fair bit of him. 'The new normal'. That makes it sound as if he's been stinking it up for years like Antony has.
But he didn't get a loan to Sevilla, nor Athletic Bilbao or Brighton or Dortmund. He got a loan to Sunderland.

No it doesn't sound like I say he has been stinking the place up because I have specifically said what he's been doing. Not a whole lot other than keeping things neat and tidy, looking decent on the ball but not really able to take a man on. I think he has looked a lot like a standard Juan Mata performance for Man Utd without as much of a goal or assist threat. Just hasn't done it for me so far. Hopefully that changes going forward.

Valencia Shin Crosses

So it took you a few seconds to find something that was not what was claimed?

I'll wait for some quotes of the many fans apparently saying he is "The best player they have ever seen play for the club" i.e. the statement that was questioned.
I can't be fecked to go back into 22/23 threads on their forums to dig up just for your amusement so you can wait forever for all I care if you just want to smugly defend your idiotic position that he was just decent for them.

OverratedOpinion

I can't be fecked to go back into 22/23 threads on their forums to dig up just for your amusement so you can wait forever for all I care
So you jump into a conversation you're not involved in, provide something irrelevant then get annoyed when I point out it's not relevant?

Okay, I'll continue not having the discussion with you and having it with the person I was having it with.

Thanks for the input.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Wan Bissaka was never a starting RB for any team that aspired to play proactive attacking football. I said that at the time and that has proven to be correct.

Dalot was always a young player that had the potential to develop into a player for a proactive attacking coach and required patience so he could develop.
I'm not sure we were aspiring to play that kind of football when we signed him, I don't disagree about Dalot but he wasn't ready to be a starting RB in the PL at that time

Last edited:

Remember the geese

But he didn't get a loan to Sevilla, nor Athletic Bilbao or Brighton or Dortmund. He got a loan to Sunderland.

No it doesn't sound like I say he has been stinking the place up because I have specifically said what he's been doing. Not a whole lot other than keeping things neat and tidy, looking decent on the ball but not really able to take a man on. I think he has looked a lot like a standard Juan Mata performance for Man Utd without as much of a goal or assist threat. Just hasn't done it for me so far. Hopefully that changes going forward.
That doesn't mean a great deal though. Amad was more than talented enough to get a loan at one of those clubs.

Take a man on? He isn't Garnacho. He's a playmaker. He can take a man on now and then, but he's much more David Silva than Cristiano Ronaldo. He knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup not long ago. He scored tonight. He's had limited minutes and looks more promising than Sancho and Antony have been for us.

OverratedOpinion

That doesn't mean a great deal though. Amad was more than talented enough to get a loan at one of those clubs.

Take a man on? He isn't Garnacho. He's a playmaker. He can take a man on now and then, but he's much more David Silva than Cristiano Ronaldo. He knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup not long ago. He scored tonight. He's had limited minutes and looks more promising than Sancho and Antony have been for us.
The scouts at those clubs don't agree is the point.

It's so hard to compare. Antony's best game for Man Utd is still better than Amad's best game for Utd but Antony has played enough and the good performances are so rare that I'm pretty much willing to write him off. Amad I still wouldn't be totally shocked to see go on and become a good player for us.

Sancho is a weird one because his best is probably better than both but at least from what I've seen from Amad and Antony they don't seem to go through spells where they can't be arsed.

Sancho or Amad is kind of a toss up for me, Sancho is an idiot but probably a better player.

gajender

We have to learn from past mistakes because the money spent on Sancho, Antony and AWB was unnecessary imo because we had two youngsters at the club in Amad and Dalot who required a bit of patience. Hopefully with the Glazers not involved, we can make sensible decisions.
[/QUOTE]

@Adnan You can add handling of Martial by Mourinho to that list as well when he first replaced him with Ibrahimovic and then Lukaku our unhealthy obsession of Backing managers and not properly following through any plan beyond a year has led to huge waste of resources and Frankenstein squad .

I just hope new management has better sense about team building , Kind of striker we bring in would tell us a lot about Ineos if it's another big name with huge trasfer outlay then we have learned nothing .

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure we were aspiring toanywhere play that kind of football when we signed him, I don't disagree about Dalot but he wasn't ready to be a starting RB in the PL at that time
I think you can only aspire to somewhere if you first know how you want to play and then sign players to fit that way of thinking. You just don't sign AWB if the aim is to play a more dominant brand of football in the present day EPL, where the coaching standards are much higher now than 10 years ago throughout the league. The role of the fullback in a team that aspires to play the game in the opponent's half is one where he must primarily contribute in possession at a high level, which AWB was never good enough for.

Diogo Dalot wasn't ready to be a starter week in week out, I agree. But the solution to Dalot not being a regular starter wasn't to sign a fullback who had clear weaknesses on the ball at 21 years of age. If Solskjaer and Phelan had signed a fullback with the attributes required in the present day and that player then didn't live upto his potential, then I could excuse their decision because the intent would've been to improve the team as far as implementing a more dominant brand of football. You just don't spend £50m on a purely defensive fullback with deficiencies on the ball without it biting you in the backside. Hence Solskjaer then attempted to sign Kieran Trippier per reports.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think you can only aspire to somewhere if you first know how you want to play and then sign players to fit that way of thinking. You just don't sign AWB if the aim is to play a more dominant brand of football in the present day EPL, where the coaching standards are much higher now than 10 years ago throughout the league. The role of the fullback in a team that aspires to play the game in the opponent's half is one where he must primarily contribute in possession at a high level, which AWB was never good enough for.

Diogo Dalot wasn't ready to be a starter week in week out, I agree. But the solution to Dalot not being a regular starter wasn't to sign a fullback who had clear weaknesses on the ball at 21 years of age. If Solskjaer and Phelan had signed a fullback with the attributes required in the present day and that player then didn't live upto his potential, then I could excuse their decision because the intent would've been to improve the team as far as implementing a more dominant brand of football. You just don't spend £50m on a purely defensive fullback with deficiencies on the ball without it biting you in the backside. Hence Solskjaer then attempted to sign Kieran Trippier per reports.
I agree but we signed him 5 years ago and the aim to play a more dominant brand of football wasn't the aim at the time, Ole ball might have been many things but a more dominant brand of football wasn't it

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree but we signed him 5 years ago and the aim to play a more dominant brand of football wasn't the aim at the time, Ole ball might have been many things but a more dominant brand of football wasn't it
Solskjaer went on record (in a press conference) and said that he wanted to play a higher defensive line like Jurgen Klopp. He also went on record and said he expects AWB to contribute in the final third because it was a requirement for the fullbacks to get forward.

What Solskjaer was saying imo was that he wanted to play a more dominant brand of football by playing the game in the opponent's half. I just feel he and Phelan got recruitment badly wrong because his aim was to implement a attacking a attacking playstyle imo.

NZT-One

Solskjaer went on record (in a press conference) and said that he wanted to play a higher defensive line like Jurgen Klopp. He also went on record and said he expects AWB to contribute in the final third because it was a requirement for the fullbacks to get forward.

What Solskjaer was saying imo was that he wanted to play a more dominant brand of football by playing the game in the opponent's half. I just feel he and Phelan got recruitment badly wrong because his aim was to implement a attacking a attacking playstyle imo.
Those two and a few others. Also I'd chip in with the assumption that what Ole said sometimes didn't really feel like it was what he meant. I mean, wasn't he also on record with making us the fittest team in the league? I think, some of the terms like "dominant brand of football", even "attacking" to a degree have to be taken with big pinch of salt. Because people seemingly associate so many or so different things with it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan You can add handling of Martial by Mourinho to that list as well when he first replaced him with Ibrahimovic and then Lukaku our unhealthy obsession of Backing managers and not properly following through any plan beyond a year has led to huge waste of resources and Frankenstein squad .

I just hope new management has better sense about team building , Kind of striker we bring in would tell us a lot about Ineos if it's another big name with huge trasfer outlay then we have learned nothing .
[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

I think the bigger problem when we appointed Mourinho was that we hired the wrong coach and we as a club didn't have the vision or strategy on how we wanted to develop the team going forward. I think Woodward hired the wrong coach and then wanted him to set the direction of travel. So when you have young players signed under the previous manager then it's important to appoint a new manager with the development of the current playing personnel in mind.

Martial didn't come close to fulfilling the potential he showed as a teenager. Which is extremely sad imo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Can't believe ETH stuck with Antony for so long when he could only dream to play this well.
Dont worry... the narrative in six months will be:

Amad, another academy kid introduced the former manager, ETH. A manager whose legacy was to have introduced multiple academy kids whilst at United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Those two and a few others. Also I'd chip in with the assumption that what Ole said sometimes didn't really feel like it was what he meant. I mean, wasn't he also on record with making us the fittest team in the league? I think, some of the terms like "dominant brand of football", even "attacking" to a degree have to be taken with big pinch of salt. Because people seemingly associate so many or so different things with it.
You're correct, he did say that he wanted us to be the best in all categories of performance, which included being the fittest team in the league.

But I think the mistake Solskjaer made was to bring in Mike Phelan to advise him at the club and Phelan was a prominent figure when it came to making recruitment decisions per reports. So if you listen to Solskjaer and then listen to Phelan, then things start to make sense as far as the team they put together. Phelan in his own words didn't believe in improving player weaknesses and wanted the players to focus on their strengths instead. And he also went on record and said clubs nowadays had too much money hence the need for data analytics, and big scouting networks etc, and he trusted his own eye above all else.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Can you cnuts please just talk about Diallos' performance in the Diallo Performance thread. Trying to actually find out how he played against Newcastle is giving me a damn migraine.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hopefully he can steer clear of injuries because this season alone he's missed 27 games through injury. I think he would've otherwise played more games than he has.

OldTrevil

Criminal that we have been forced to watch countless trash performances from Rashford and Antony while Amad barely got a look in. He deserves to start for the rest of the season.

But watch EtH drop him for the cup final and play Garnacho or Bruno on the right just to shoehorn Rashford and McTominay into the team, and we get embarrased. Then he might throw him in the last few minutes when the game's gone.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Excellent goal and was a constant threat throughout. Like I said after the last game, he looks our most unselfish attacker. Always looks to get others into play and his game is all about movement rather than trying to beat his man to shoot at the goal. His football is so easy on the eye. Would be quite some player if he can stay injury free. My heart sunk both times, in the last game and game before that, he fell holding his knee.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Well at least we have a player who is better than Antony to play at RW.

Whether he can kick on after a good pre-season and stake his claim as a legit starter next season remains to be seen.

Two very well taken goals for him this season.

NK86

What I loved a lot was how many headers he won while challenging for the long balls. I mean he must have put Rashford to shame winning those duels considering his size.

AneRu

Question is do we sign Olise or give Diallo the spot to develop?
We have far too much to do for us to commit 60m Olise, good player and could be a top player at a top club but we need to rejig the spine of our team first. Two CBs, a DM, a LB and a striker should be prioritised ahead of a RW. In Garnacho and Amad we have players who can fill the role for a season and Mount can put a shift in too.