Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

I thought he was okay/decent individually but poor on the whole (as the deepest midfielder) as was everyone else.

He's not a natural defensive minded player BUT it is possible to play him there. The 'solution' is there should an even better midfielder in front of him to pair up with Pogba but he's the best midfielder we have in that 8 position.

It should be Schneiderlin/Carrick/Basti behind him and Pogba.

Just like after the City game, hopefully Mourinho addresses issues (like he did dropping Rooney, bringing Herrera) the same way, i.e dropping Fellani, Zlatan and bringing Martial and Miki.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He was good today, our best player by far. I like that nasty/competitive edge he has, something more of our players could do with. I think that he's a player Fergie would have loved.

Sylar

IMO should be captain and should play every game. He looks the leader on the field, might as well make it official.

arthurka

I felt sorry for him today playing with Fellaini and in the second half that useless Pogba guy.. Now its time to start using cm who know what they are doing with Herrera.. And don't give me that Blind guy he is as useless as the rest..

IMO should be captain and should play every game. He looks the leader on the field, might as well make it official.
Agreed. He's the one always wanting the ball and looking to do something with it beyond pass sideways. Could do wonders for him to get that reward now.

Rockets Redglare

I said it last season, that I hoped we'd build the team around Herrera. My favourite player by far.
I thought he was terrible last season and wasn't sure what sort of a future he had here. He's shown exactly why United signed him now however, and has been one of our best players so far.

Man Utd 1:0 Man City

m1y2

great player, so far our player of the season, by far the best ball winning player we have. We need more players like him, with great workrate and defensive awareness while being technically great...

I am quite amazed how he evolved from last season, I always trusted him but can't say I'd be without any worries when he dropped deep to get the ball and turn with that, don't think he lost a single ball in this dangerous areas in front of centerbacks which is great and gives me hope he can actually be Carrick's successor...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not based on their United careers he isn't.
I'd prefer to use a career as opposed to a dozen games to judge a players quality.

What would you have said last season, or the two before that, if someone told you Herrera was better than Pogba?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I do. love Herrera but Pogba is a level above.
He hasnt shown that once this season. And I mean in terms of being an actual midfielder. Pogba can be a great player but he is a bit clueless when it comes to central midfield. His positioning looks shite most of the time, and then his touch and short passing is inconsistent and his movement is clumsy. Literally all he does is little flicks and some nice touches and then shoots from 30 yards out. That has been his United career in a nutshell so far. Herrera on the other hand has great energy, is very consistent with his touch and short passing, knows how to control the tempo of games to an extent, while also actually knowing how to sit in midfield positionally speaking. Put him in a midfield 2, as a central mid, and you can make it work. Pogba in a midfield 2 and it'll look all over the place unless the other guy can do it on his own.

NinjaFletch

I'd prefer to use a career as opposed to a dozen games to judge a players quality.

What would you have said last season, or the three before that, if someone told you Herrera was better than Pogba?
Probably 'I don't watch Italian football, and I haven't been that impressed with Pogba when I've seen him for France or in the Champion's League' which I suspect is probably as true for you as it is for me (although I'll willingly believe you if you say otherwise). Pogba might be a better midfielder than Herrera, but until he starts outperforming Herrera when playing in the same side as him it's not exactly obvious.

ivaldo

He hasnt shown that once this season. And I mean in terms of being an actual midfielder. Pogba can be a great player but he is a bit clueless when it comes to central midfield. His positioning looks shite most of the time, and then his touch and short passing is inconsistent and his movement is clumsy. Literally all he does is little flicks and some nice touches and then shoots from 30 yards out. That has been his United career in a nutshell so far. Herrera on the other hand has great energy, is very consistent with his touch and short passing, knows how to control the tempo of games to an extent, while also actually knowing how to sit in midfield positionally speaking. Put him in a midfield 2, as a central mid, and you can make it work. Pogba in a midfield 2 and it'll look all over the place unless the other guy can do it on his own.
Up until the last dozen games Pogba has been a few levels above Herrera. just because he hasn't shown it yet doesn't make him suddenly poor. this is a new team, under a new manager in a new formation.
I'll ask the same question as above. what would you have said last season or the two before that if someone said to you Herrera was the better player?

bosnian_red

What would you have said last season, or the two before that, if someone told you Herrera was better than Pogba?
Judging by what many on here thought Pogba was compared to what he really is, it's pretty clear most didn't watch more then like 5 games from Pogba at Juve. He's a highlights player and always has been throughout his career. One capable of doing great moments but he's not going to give commanding performances over the course of a game. Don't think I've seen him do that once and I've seen plenty of him. It was always his midfield partners at Juve, providing a base and then he provided the occasional great moment in attack.

bosnian_red

Up until the last dozen games Pogba has been a few levels above Herrera. just because he hasn't shown it yet doesn't make him suddenly poor. this is a new team, under a new manager in a new formation.
I'll ask the same question as above. what would you have said last season or the two before that if someone said to you Herrera was the better player?
Pogba is a better player, I didn't say otherwise. I said as a midfielder. Pogba just isn't a good central midfielder, or at least, doesn't know how to play as one yet.

ivaldo

Probably 'I don't watch Italian football, and I haven't been that impressed with Pogba when I've seen him for France or in the Champion's League' which I suspect is probably as true for you as it is for me (although I'll willingly believe you if you say otherwise). Pogba might be a better midfielder than Herrera, but until he starts outperforming Herrera when playing in the same side as him it's not exactly obvious.
That's it, that's all I said.

ivaldo

Pogba is a better player, I didn't say otherwise. I said as a midfielder. Pogba just isn't a good central midfielder, or at least, doesn't know how to play as one yet.
A central midfielder is a midifelder, a midfielder isn't necessarily a central midfielder.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Did brilliant for the goal. Intelligent player, our Ander.

bosnian_red

A central midfielder is a midifelder, a midfielder isn't necessarily a central midfielder.
Not sure I would put Pogba in any of the traditional midfield spots anyway as his best position. His position as a "midfielder" is like what Di Maria was at Madrid. He plays in the middle but his role is purely to do with drifting out wide and joining the attack.

NinjaFletch

That's it, that's all I said.
No you didn't.

You said Pogba is a better player (infact you said he's a 'level above') if you look closely I said he might be but he needs to prove it.

You could walk an elephant (a quickly growing baby elephant maybe?) between those two opinions.

ivaldo

Not sure I would put Pogba in any of the traditional midfield spots anyway as his best position. His position as a "midfielder" is like what Di Maria was at Madrid. He plays in the middle but his role is purely to do with drifting out wide and joining the attack.
He's an attacking midifelder. he's not a striker, or a defender or a keeper.

Lovely play from Herrera for the goal btw, need to reiterate I love the little Bastard!

ivaldo

No you didn't.

You said Pogba is a better player (infact you said he's a 'level above') if you look closely I said he might be but he needs to prove it.

You could walk an elephant (a quickly growing baby elephant maybe?) between those two opinions.
Well he is or he isn't. if you haven't formed an opinion on that yet then why disagree with me?

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Why are people comparing Herrera to Pogba? They're completely different players. It's like comparing Oranges and a fecking potato.

NinjaFletch

Well he is or he isn't. if you haven't formed an opinion on that yet then why disagree with me?
Because I don't think you've formed your opinion based on actually watching Pogba play, but on what you've heard about Pogba through the grapevine and seen on highlights which you're comparing against the 'warts and all' view of Herrera you have from watching United week in week out. Is that a fair assessment or not? If you've actually formed your opinion from watching Pogba regularly then fine, but that would put you in a tiny minority of users of this forum.

m1y2

Why are people comparing Herrera to Pogba? They're completely different players. It's like comparing Oranges and a fecking potato.
who is comparing them? I think it is safe to say who has been better of the two so far without really comparing them or a need them to be similar

ivaldo

Because I don't think you've formed your opinion based on actually watching Pogba play, but on what you've heard about Pogba through the grapevine and seen on highlights which you're comparing against the 'warts and all' view of Herrera you have from watching United week in week out. Is that a fair assessment or not? If you've actually formed your opinion from watching Pogba regularly then fine, but that would put you in a tiny minority of users of this forum.
Ok you're right

ivaldo

I'm not going to bother to continue this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.