Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTrevil

I like his passionate reaction when Zlatan pen went in. He's earned a much needed rest and the suspension has worked to perfection.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Brilliant at shutting down the space but he's so conservative with his passing we get nowhere when he's on the ball.
Yet today alone when he wasn't even at his best and had a poor game he put Valencia twice, Mata and Lingard in behind the opposition defence....
Hes not that conservative at all tbh, he just doesn't have the range of Pogba

FujiVice

Come on now, he's been good this season. One bad game and he should be rotation, jesus.
Not basing it on one bad game. He's quite limited and inconsistant, and his position is one that should be upgraded if we are eventually going to start challenging for league titles. I dont want to see him leave, though.

Morpheus 7

I think he looked exhausted tonight. It's probably a blessing in disguise he got his suspension, the tie is done anyway no need for him to go to France. Leave him out of the team Sunday and have him fresh for the final. We need to use our squad anyway. I love his passion and he's got a sneaky tactical foul in him. We need his full concentration, he can't afford to give the ball cheaply away against Southampton.

Flames73

Was I watching another game? well I admit it was 4am and I lasted only the first half but I thought he played like he always did. He intercepted balls and took balls off players. That is his role and he did that. He isn't supposed to be the all amazing passer but he isn't bad at that either. Where is all the hate coming from :/

Last edited:

ravi2

Was I watching another game? well I admit it was 4am and u lasted only the first half but I thought he played like he always did. He intercepted balls and took balls off players. That is his role and he did that. He isn't supposed to be the all amazing passer but he isn't bad at that either. Where is all the hate coming from :/
This is how I feel as well, I thought he had a ok game.

LouisDanGaal

Now he genuinely needs a rest. Its a shame as we are a much worse team without him, but his game depends so much on being sharp, give him the Blackburn game and the next week off. There are a couple of players in the squad who are doing a lot of heavy lifting and have been doing for a while due to the gulf of quality in those positions. Him, Ibra, Valencia, Pogba. Everyone else gets an occasional rest but those four are pretty much vital to us.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not basing it on one bad game. He's quite limited and inconsistant, and his position is one that should be upgraded if we are eventually going to start challenging for league titles. I dont want to see him leave, though.
My opinion too you should now put on your hard hat and take cover though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
These are the games where the 'we need an upgrade on Herrera crowd' come from.

His defensive work has been great this season overall. However when he receives a pass, in general it goes back to the player who passed it to him in the 1st place. It's frustrating to watch.
The people who say "we need an upgrade on Herrera because he isn't that good on ball" then go on to say we should have signed Kante to play alongside Pogba. Very contradicting statements.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I like him a lot, but his occasional tendency (especially recently) to lose the ball in his own half whilst facing our goal, is frankly terrifying.

Last edited:

McDonagh707

Thought it was a mixed performance really, some good tackles and interceptions, but gave possession away too many times. Like most others have said, I think he's in need of a rest and hopefully he gets that against Blackburn and with the suspension for the second leg.

Decomposing In Paris

People talk about him not having the quality to be a starter for a great team, but I'd argue that this is the judgement of a generation that assesses a machine by its individual parts more than the way it works together.
There's more to playing the game than playing the defence splitting pass, or making the decisive tackle (both of which he does regularly).

Pogba has been inconsistent this season, brilliant one day, sloppy the next.
Miki, Martial, and Mata have been some of our star men this season, but only in patches.
Ibrahimovic gets slaughtered by some, because not all of his high-risk-high-reward play comes off.
Bailly looked awful last night.
Jones, Rojo, Smalling, and Blind have all been written off at various points as not good enough for Manchester United.
Valencia apparently needs an upgrade because he can't cross, doesn't score, and isn't a defender.
De Gea has made costly mistakes.

...and that's just our starting 11.

Don't let nostalgia cloud our judgement of how good the individuals of our treble winning team where.

Big Pete wasn't much (if any) better than Dave
Valencia carries more of an individual threat than Neville did, albeit his crosses aren't as good.
Stam was a beast, but not the kind to build from the back, people would claim we could have upgraded on Johnsen.
Irwin was a solid 7/10 every week. Brilliant fullback, rarely skinned, but not the quickest either.
The midfield was awesome. Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Giggs - admittedly it had everything. But if Giggs (as many claim on here) wasn't at the very top of the game because he didn't win individual awards... neither were the rest either frankly.
Yorke & Cole - an amazing combination - don't think the premiership has ever had a more cohesive front 2. Individually the two best strikers in the world at the time... Would anyone say that? Would anyone even claim they were top 5, or top 10?

It's about the team, and Herrera is a integral cog in what (other than Chelsea) has been the best team in England since October.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Was I watching another game? well I admit it was 4am and I lasted only the first half but I thought he played like he always did. He intercepted balls and took balls off players. That is his role and he did that. He isn't supposed to be the all amazing passer but he isn't bad at that either. Where is all the hate coming from :/
I was watching it from N2413 and I felt the same. Maybe it looked different on TV? He wasn't great but he was decent enough.

Eddy_JukeZ

The people who say "we need an upgrade on Herrera because he isn't that good on ball" then go on to say we should have signed Kante to play alongside Pogba. Very contradicting statements.
Fair enough, but I don't think Kante is an upgrade on Herrera nor did I want him alongside Pogba.

Djemba-Djemba

I love this running joke he has of stopping opposition counter attacks in increasingly snide manners.

Nice to see he has a bit of a cnuty side.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I like him a lot, but his occasional tendency (especially recently) to lose the ball in his own half whilst facing our goal, is frankly terrifying.
He's a good player wearing his heart on his sleeve, which is hard to come by. But holy molly, him and those silly fouls are getting on my tits.

marlowe78

I think when Fellaini is playing in the middle we lose track of how much work this guy needs to do.

Brightonian

I love this running joke he has of stopping opposition counter attacks in increasingly snide manners.

Nice to see he has a bit of a cnuty side.
Yes, I get as much satisfaction from his customary once-a-game professional foul as from almost anything else.

You've got to have a player with the brains and the pragmatism to do it. Has there ever been a great team who didn't have one marginal cnut? I can't think of one. But you always love that player when he's yours.

Walters_19_MuFc

So good off the ball, but his lack of passing range really shows him up, especially in a 2 man midfield. Sometimes there's occasions when he can switch it out but he doesn't.

If we can get a dynamic midfielder with a better passing range than Herrera, then I would play him next Pogba next season, providing we play a 4231.

m1y2

how was this not a good performance? great defensively as always and some nice through balls too..

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
how was this not a good performance? great defensively as always and some nice through balls too..
Some people are desperate to find fault with Ander. As I said, watching it in the ground he looked fine. Some mistakes, yes, but broadly fine. Plus the stretty even sang his name after one slide tackle so he can't have been that bad!

King.of.Red

youtube-VbejLEYr00 how was this not a good performance? great defensively as always and some nice through balls too..
yeah, for me he played very well against St. Etienne. I love his tackling and smart interception. he still need to improve more and reduce some of his unnecessary mistakes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Some people are desperate to find fault with Ander. As I said, watching it in the ground he looked fine. Some mistakes, yes, but broadly fine. Plus the stretty even sang his name after one slide tackle so he can't have been that bad!
For me he's performing at such a consistently high level performances such as these are considered 'poor' for Ander.

criticalanalysis

In that vid, look at the nearest midfielder whenever he has the ball. That tells you much about the support and the dynamics of the game as much as anything else.

Still, would like MORE penetrative forward balls; his default pass back to the passer is annoying especially when he has the time.

Raw

He hit a long shot that didn't head straight to the moon, MOTM 10/10 world class give him 500k/week :D

m1y2

showed he can be creative when given advanced role, shame about his shooting today, hes getting closer, had Zlatan reacted quicker he had another nice assist... his defensive work was top notch again, particularly like the moment when Pogba lost the ball in a dangerous position and Carrick had to rescue only to lose it himself and Ander won that 50/50, great player, his inclusion today shows how important hes to Jose, he can play advanced role and more restricted one both great, our games lacks aggressivity and passing dynamics without him, wonder if he can play all games like Valencia, he needs a rest surely, the problem is there is no backup for him

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
showed he can be creative when given advanced role, shame about his shooting today, hes getting closer, had Zlatan reacted quicker he had another nice assist... his defensive work was top notch again, particularly like the moment when Pogba lost the ball in a dangerous position and Carrick had to rescue only to lose it himself and Ander won that 50/50, great player, his inclusion today shows how important hes to Jose, he can play advanced role and more restricted one both great, our games lacks aggressivity and passing dynamics without him, wonder if he can play all games like Valencia, he needs a rest surely, the problem is there is no backup for him
He is suspended for Europa second leg, so he will get 1 week rest.

Sylar

Deserved rest, recharge the batteries and then get going. He obviously looks better with Pogba next to him, but I think it helps cos we can push up and press higher up the pitch.

His run and then pass to Lingard in the first half was really good. IMO should be our captain on the pitch. I would like to see him with the official responsibility as he always seem vocal on the pitch anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.