Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTrevil

Yes he got a soft red. It happens.

But why does he have to wag his finger and protest loudly after each foul he commits. Given his role and the fact that he is having to carry the entire midfield because Pogba is "adjusting", he will be committing a lot of fouls. He is bound to annoy the referee if he keeps doing this every time.

I have seen Mata, Rojo and even Valencia get away with quite a few fouls, just because they keep quiet and don't scream at the ref each time their name is called.
It's part of his personality on the field, which comes from the passion and aggression he plays with. You take that away and you take away a big part of what makes Ander Herrera. It's like the calls for prime Rooney to cut out his bitchiness to refs and the way he generally played on the edge, but which was part of what made him great.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's part of his personality on the field, which comes from the passion and aggression he plays with. You take that away and you take away a big part of what makes Ander Herrera. It's like the calls for prime Rooney to cut out his bitchiness to refs and the way he generally played on the edge, but which was part of what made him great.
Wayne seems very placid now, which I think has taken a lot away from his game.

El Jefe

Does Herrera know that it's not a crime to pass the ball forward.

I know there's not much space but he's ignored the most obvious forward passes in this first half. Cleverley and Schneiderlin would be so proud.

Seanus

Looks to me like he has been told to cut out the niggles-that makes him half the player-come on Jose unleash Ander :)

OldTrevil

He took matters in his hands and bossed it once Pogba went off, my MOM with Romero a very close second.

facund

I didn't think he was wonderful tonight but he was certainly amongst our best performers. Romero might have snatched MOM with the last second save but before that it was Herrera fending off a late charge from Fellaini. All three were comfortably better than the rest.

3KDré

Fantastic ball winner, fantastic at keeping the ball moving but he is infuriating with his lack of passes forward.

IrishRedDevil

I get that he's in the team to do a lot of the running and dirty work, but I wish he would attempt a few more positive, penetrative passes.

He seems to always take the easy option, even if there's a few passing opportunities ahead of him.

Mike09

I get that he's in the team to do a lot of the running and dirty work, but I wish he would attempt a few more positive, penetrative passes.

He seems to always take the easy option, even if there's a few passing opportunities ahead of him
I had a few argument with people about this before. I'm glad there are some people in here actually watched the same game as what I have watched.

efraim

Can't be accused of being a gloryhunter
Good player. Didn't do anything wrong today as usual, but I wish he attempted more forward passes.

arthurka

This game was about keeping possession and controlling the game and he did 111 complete passes.. After Pogba went off he took control.. Good game.

PS any problems with his defensive style tonight has to be taken up with Jose..

Fracture90

He seems to always take the easy option, even if there's a few passing opportunities ahead of him.
Exactly that last part, and almost exclusively with first touch pass.

Raw

Yeah agreed with the safe passing criticisms. It's not like he isn't incapable of a nice forward pass either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Has he been called up for Spain or will he be getting a rest?

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He received the ball a few times today in space and passed it straight back to whoever gave it him. Really frustrating.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
His passing was better than usual tonight. He showed a range of passing that he rarely ever shows, hit 3-4 decent long passes, the sort that he usually messes up.

Still not the same energy to his game than earlier in the season i think though. Understandable tonight given the week they have had and the travelling but he's not quite been at the top of his game recently like a few others.

Dobbs

That first time backwards pass has always been part of his game. A glitch he can't get rid of it seems.

Overall he did alright though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Interceptions and tackles is his bread and butter though.

Think he's clearly under instruction to win the ball back and release it to Pogba, rather than do anything creative with it. Had more passes between each other in the first half than the whole Rostov team combined.

Witchking

Right now, him, mkhi and mata are United's most important players. They are great to have to play the slick passes. He keeps United ticking. He has been more important to us than Pogba. Glad he plays for us. Great player.

Art

Art the artist
Silly idiot had to get himself sent off at Stamford Bridge :mad:. We so badly need him.

OldTrevil

That first time backwards pass has always been part of his game. A glitch he can't get rid of it seems.

Overall he did alright though.
It frustrates me too, although I can see a argument there that it's a super safe way to raise tempo, depending on how fast and how far back it goes of course. However he cut it down massively once Pogba went and was actually turning forwards with the ball and attacking the space :wenger: constantly, it was great to see especially since we know he's more than capable of doing it. His recent conservatism on the ball must be instruction from Mou when he's partnering Pogba. It strengthens my belief than Jose will look to get a mobile cdm and let Pogba and Herrera loose next season :drool:

Sylar

He gets the ball and gets it to Pogba when partnering him. It makes sense. When hes higher up the pitch he gets more involved with Mata which makes sense.
Hes gonna get some rest now (forced) but we will need him badly for the month of April which will be a gruel.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
His backward passes were frustrating, but it was probably part of his instructions to play safe and keep the ball moving.
Had a good game though.

Mike09

Interceptions and tackles is his bread and butter though.

Think he's clearly under instruction to win the ball back and release it to Pogba, rather than do anything creative with it. Had more passes between each other in the first half than the whole Rostov team combined.
That's why never rely on stats only. Like what people have mentioned in here, when you watch the game you can see that there's a few passing opportunities ahead of him but he always pick the easy option. And stats can't see this fact.

Even if we use stats of Carrick. Carrick seems to play more forward passes for per game or 90 mins and less backward passes than Herrera this season. If it's due to instruction from the manager, why Carrick has different instruction?

Is it because the manager acknowledges Carrick's passing ability and vision but not Herrera??
or
The manager never give such an instruction to begin with?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

My sentiments exactly. I love Ander, but he's gotta take charge a little bit more.

Ephrem

Glad atleast some people have this view. I posted in another forum saying Pereira could easily replace Ander in a mid three and people said I was joking.

The way Pereira is playing I wont be surprised if he get ahead of Ander by the end of next season. That kid have almost everything you need from mid !

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Fantastic ball winner, fantastic at keeping the ball moving but he is infuriating with his lack of passes forward.
Yeah this. I know Rostov played extremely compact, but there were several instances last night where he broke up play, had a chance to start a dangerous counter and then opted for the backpass instead.

Don't know if it's fatigue or confidence, but hes more than capable of playing some lovely forward passes

shield

After Pogba got injured, I think he took Pogba's role and Fellaini took his role and he was very good going forward. Suddenly, we started seeing the old Herrera which we get to see only few times in a match. He was driving with the ball, pressing up the pitch, combining with Mata.

I think this defensive role shackles him. Think the back passes and safe play are because of a specific instruction and he has been asked to pass the ball to Pogba whenever possible. I don't know if I am right, because if so, then that is a waste of his talent and something LVG tried to do too got criticized a lot for. He is a more complete CM than Pogba and is far better at moving the ball forward from deep.

Good performance overall. He is the one who will be missed the most in to coming matches.

Zoo

He has made the Spain squad as has De Gea naturally. Mata misses out unfortunately.

IrishRedDevil

The way Pereira is playing I wont be surprised if he get ahead of Ander by the end of next season. That kid have almost everything you need from mid !
Exactly this. I imagine he will start rotating with Herrera, coming on for the last 10-30mins of games, but I hope by the end of next season when he is familiar with the style and tempo of the PL, he will lock down a permanent midfield position.

I like Herrera and I think he's a good player, but it's frustrating that he is being so reserved with his passing. When he first come to United he was more adventurous but for the last few months he is always taking the easy, safe option. We need players willing to take more risks to take us up a level.

Herrera has the capability, he just isn't showing it recently. Maybe it's an instruction from Jose to keep things safe, but we can't expect all of he creative play to come from Pogba.

Skills

Snitch
Exactly this. I imagine he will start rotating with Herrera, coming on for the last 10-30mins of games, but I hope by the end of next season when he is familiar with the style and tempo of the PL, he will lock down a permanent midfield position.

I like Herrera and I think he's a good player, but it's frustrating that he is being so reserved with his passing. When he first come to United he was more adventurous but for the last few months he is always taking the easy, safe option. We need players willing to take more risks to take us up a level.
Mourinho doesn't do rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.