Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Exactly this. I imagine he will start rotating with Herrera, coming on for the last 10-30mins of games, but I hope by the end of next season when he is familiar with the style and tempo of the PL, he will lock down a permanent midfield position.

I like Herrera and I think he's a good player, but it's frustrating that he is being so reserved with his passing. When he first come to United he was more adventurous but for the last few months he is always taking the easy, safe option. We need players willing to take more risks to take us up a level.

Herrera has the capability, he just isn't showing it recently. Maybe it's an instruction from Jose to keep things safe, but we can't expect all of he creative play to come from Pogba.
Like we can't expect much defensive work from Pogba. I would say they are playing to instructions or Jose would not be picking them. He will not pick players who don't follow his instructions.

IrishRedDevil

Like we can't expect much defensive work from Pogba. I would say they are playing to instructions or Jose would not be picking them. He will not pick players who don't follow his instructions.
In a 3, the DM is providing the defensive cover (Carrick). Herrera as the box to box midfielder needs to be offering more positive, forward passes.

Last night even when screened by 3 CB's and playing against average opposition, Herrera was playing 5 yard passes back to the player who passed him that ball on countless occasions, even though advanced attacking players were showing for the ball. If that was the instruction then fair enough, but I'd be surprised if it was.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In a 3, the DM is providing the defensive cover (Carrick). Herrera as the box to box midfielder needs to be offering more positive, forward passes.

Last night even when screened by 3 CB's and playing against average opposition, Herrera was playing 5 yard passes back to the player who passed him that ball on countless occasions, even though advanced attacking players were showing for the ball. If that was the instruction then fair enough, but I'd be surprised if it was.
Carrick was a bit invisible last night. Herrera was doing the defensive work. We had two wingbacks and him and Pogba. That is why we need a three, Carrick/replacement then depending who we are playing Herrera to either help with defensive work or both he and Pogba attacking. I know we had 3 CB's but to honest with Smalling you don't feel that secure. The CB's were the biggest culprits of passing it across the back.

Philadelphian

If Jose settles on 3 in the midfield next year, Ander will have to produce more going forward or he will be replaced by someone like Pereira or a new buy. It's that simple. If he can produce, great. If not he'll fall back into rotation.

If Jose settles on 2 in the middle then I think he will go to 3 at the back as it might be the only way to play 2 and free up Pogba.

In a 4-2-3-1 Pogba likely starts to show frustration at some point next year unless we are getting the results. I know if I were making the decisions I'd build the team to get the best out of Pogba because Ander's qualities are easily replaceable.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If Jose settles on 3 in the midfield next year, Ander will have to produce more going forward or he will be replaced by someone like Pereira or a new buy. It's that simple. If he can produce, great. If not he'll fall back into rotation.

If Jose settles on 2 in the middle then I think he will go to 3 at the back as it might be the only way to play 2 and free up Pogba.

In a 4-2-3-1 Pogba likely starts to show frustration at some point next year unless we are getting the results. I know if I were making the decisions I'd build the team to get the best out of Pogba because Ander's qualities are easily replaceable.
He's had a good season in this new role, on the whole he's adjusted very well and I think he'll get better. 9 assists is a pretty decent tally for someone so defensively orientated. FWIW, I think he's one of the best crossers in the team.

m1y2

Exactly this. I imagine he will start rotating with Herrera, coming on for the last 10-30mins of games, but I hope by the end of next season when he is familiar with the style and tempo of the PL, he will lock down a permanent midfield position.

I like Herrera and I think he's a good player, but it's frustrating that he is being so reserved with his passing. When he first come to United he was more adventurous but for the last few months he is always taking the easy, safe option. We need players willing to take more risks to take us up a level.

Herrera has the capability, he just isn't showing it recently. Maybe it's an instruction from Jose to keep things safe, but we can't expect all of he creative play to come from Pogba.
I bet you havent seen Pereira play full 90 minutes, he's not even close to Herrera positionally and defensively, he upped his workrate but lose the ball quite often for a team like ours, he should be more competition to Lingard or Pogba than for Herrera, there we should invest in proper CDM, to have Herrera covered if he gets injured or gets too many yellows...

in addition to that, yes Pereira could be ideally longterm replacement to Herrera, but that doesn't mean he will takeover by the end of next season. That's a huge call made by ppl who have only seen highlights from him, which are impressive tbf but still few full games watching him can tell you guys he's pretty far to be a regular, if he manages to surpass Herrera in his position by a bit I believe we have a world class player so fingers crossed for him...

shield

The only CM in our team who is making us competitive this season. Pogba is taking a lot of time to adjust to this league and I feel Mourinho is confused as to whether to use Herrera to support Pogba or to just let him play his usual attacking game.

I think he will have a huge responsibility on his shoulders this coming month, because he is the one who can do the actual midfield work. Pogba is not really in form, Carrick is 35 years old and can't handle intense encounters and Fellaini is just someone who provides support so Herrera is the only CM who I feel confident about.

Hope he does not pick up an injury in the coming internationals.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

The only CM in our team who is making us competitive this season. Pogba is taking a lot of time to adjust to this league and I feel Mourinho is confused as to whether to use Herrera to support Pogba or to just let him play his usual attacking game.

I think he will have a huge responsibility on his shoulders this coming month, because he is the one who can do the actual midfield work. Pogba is not really in form, Carrick is 35 years old and can't handle intense encounters and Fellaini is just someone who provides support so Herrera is the only CM who I feel confident about.

Hope he does not pick up an injury in the coming internationals.
I think Mourinho didn't have very high expectations from Herrera when he took the management role otherwise he may have opted for a central midfielder who would have complimented Herrera rather than acquiring Pogba for a world record fee. Someone like Nainggolan alongside Herrera in midfield would have allowed Mkhitaryan or Mata to play freely down the center. When Jose joined there were reports that he wanted to get Willian, if they had any truth, we might have saved money by going for a less expensive midfielder and had acquired Willian which would have giving us a very balanced front 6.

I am happy for Herrera that he gets to represent his country. From rest point of view, it isn't very bad for him since he is suspended for West Brom game anyway.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Only player who seems to be playing for us

Fergies Formula

He's on his own out there tonight. Rest of them haven't turned up yet.
I wouldn't say he has played well. Kept looking for the simple option and playing it back to the defenders. Needs to turn and look to make something happen going forward rather than passing the responsibility. Just needs some more belief. Each player needs to be accountable and he is the classic in passing the creative impetus to someone else and it spreads throughout the team.

Devil may care

Thought he had a decent game, put a couple of good crosses in, played a couple of incisive passes into the channels that the wide players failed to utilize fully and made one vital tackle

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Too much passing back in the first half. Picked it up in the second alright.

Raw

Yeah too many backpasses for my liking. Still, he added that much needed energy we lacked against West Brom.

ti vu

His option up front. Zlatan being heavily marked, Rashford wide also being marked, Lingard also wide being marked. Carrick didn't step up to help most of the time. Fellaini nuff said

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
His option up front. Zlatan being heavily marked, Rashford wide also being marked, Lingard also wide being marked. Carrick didn't step up to help most of the time. Fellaini nuff said
What i am talking about is when the Everton players have attacked and we have a chance of hitting them on counter with perhaps four on four. In the first half Herrera and Fellaini would win the ball from an Everton attack and pass it back to Bailly or Rojo. This then gives the Everton players who attacked time to get back in defense.

red_john

I like Ander but he's very negative. He passes back too much and doesn't carry the ball and drive our attack. I can't fault his passion and commitment.

Kag

He passed the ball in behind the Everton defence on more occasions than anyone else, for what it's worth. He also delivered the only cross of any quality that should have led to a goal. Negative, huh?

He's brilliant. Even did a cracking job at right back.

ti vu

What i am talking about is when the Everton players have attacked and we have a chance of hitting them on counter with perhaps four on four. In the first half Herrera and Fellaini would win the ball from an Everton attack and pass it back to Bailly or Rojo. This then gives the Everton players who attacked time to get back in defense.
Let me know when it happened. I'll check.

Point is trying to build up and bring the team up field to no available in first half . Particular Carrick was too scared to raise the line. Fellaini ain't helpful in midfield build up.

JeffBoomTetris

The tempo of his passing is good to watch. But he needs to direct them more forwards and towards the difference makers like he did for Zlatan's goal which was wrongly called off.

dichinero

Yeah too many backpasses for my liking. Still, he added that much needed energy we lacked against West Brom.
I like Ander but he's very negative. He passes back too much and doesn't carry the ball and drive our attack. I can't fault his passion and commitment.
Under LvG he made more forward passes but like with most forward thinking players the pass percentage is lower and he was heavily slated for the odd misplaced forward pass. This season, it is common knowledge that José wants him to be more defensive and just help keep the team shape more than anything else. His job is basically to recycle possession ala Mikel with the plan of getting the ball out wide and whipping aimless crosses. It's more tactical.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Was getting pelters for his miss that hit the bar but that was no easy chance.

MadMike

He is the engine in our midfield. Simple as that. He is playing better than Pogba & Carrick and the less said about the rest of our midfield options the better.

He keeps the ball moving, he puts great crosses in when needed, he often spots a good run down the right channel, he wins the ball back more times than I can count and today he was very unlucky not to score too. A great left foot shot outside the box was well saved.

Jordi

Agreed, thought he was one of the few that gave it there all tonight.

m1y2

Even though he had a good game I think he should be more creative, sometimes he just plays that quick pass back when he could control the ball, turn and make sth happen, he was still creative today but having carrick and Fellaini around, the two slots, you need a player to create, he could have done more for me but hard to criticize him, he had a great shot which was almost a goal some nice through balls and solid defensive display... also a great corss again for Zlatan questionable offside goal

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Trusts his teammates too much. I almost feel like he has to be less of a team-player when he has the ball in dangerous positions. Too many times he just plays the quick pass to keep it moving. He should take control and play the defence splitting passes himself.

He also has the Suarez ability of never looking in control of the ball but still getting out of tight spaces.

Even though he had a good game I think he should be more creative, sometimes he just plays that quick pass back when he could control the ball, turn and make sth happen, he was still creative today but having carrick and Fellaini around, the two slots, you need a player to create, he could have done more for me but hard to criticize him, he had a great shot which was almost a goal some nice through balls and solid defensive display... also a great corss again for Zlatan questionable offside goal
Carrick is the one who should be creating. Herrera excels at stringing everything together. He's fighting a losing battle when he's got Carrick nailed to the spot in front of the back four and Fellaini liable to ping it twenty yards with every attempt at control.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He played badly in first half after too many back passes. He reminded me his first months at United. Very lively but few good passes.

Then in second half when there were urgency he were better, but too far from his position to be influent on the game

Poor by Mourinho.

Ander will be better in a midfield three when he'll be free to run, press high and foul here and there/

Status
Not open for further replies.