Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I think Herrera is the Matic replacement, whereas Fellaini is the Pogba replacement. Mourinho clearly sees him as more of a defensive tool. It's fine by me, but I really hope he's the one who gets picked for the big games in a three rather than Fellaini.
Don't think so. Matić more closer replacement is Carrick. And Herrera did provided 11 assists last season. But Fellaini is a physical and height presence and he's on form now. But the difference between the two was clear as water later in the Everton game. Herrera was calm on the ball and exchanged short passes, the only way we got back on the game.

NotQuiteManc

He will be needed surely, even just from the bench. Matic has come in and just improved the team, and the team is the most important. Now with Pogba injured he would start in more games I think.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Don't think so. Matić more closer replacement is Carrick. And Herrera did provided 11 assists last season. But Fellaini is a physical and height presence and he's on form now. But the difference between the two was clear as water later in the Everton game. Herrera was calm on the ball and exchanged short passes, the only way we got back on the game.
as was observed by Mourinho.

Currently, Matic is the best player. Herrera is a different type of player.

For me over the long term, Herrera's value will be appreciated. Pure gold.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Theres no way of knowing if we would have got a 4-0 with him starting. It might have been 9-0 instead.

But in very few games has Ander had a 80% or less successful pass completion, so its sensible to assume that he would have helped us keep the ball better than Fellaini did in this match. On the other side of things Fellaini won the ball a lot and a bunch of headers, Ander may not have contributed as much in these areas on the day.
On the other hand stats don't tell every story. Many a game I've seen Herrera delay a pass or refuse a pass and keep it safe. In these instances his pass rate will be high but I get what you're saying. My original point stands Jose doesn't deserve to be criticised for his selection when his team won the game 4-0.

Sylar

I do think he will be really really important in the bigger games when we move to a 3 man midfield.

Sylar

Think he will play against the big teams, neutralizing the big threats (Coutinho/Hazard) like last season.
Agreed. Very disciplined when given a specific role. Thought he was our best midfielder in the big games last season

vodrake

Bit random, but after Lingard scored and was celebrating, it seemed like Herrera grabbed him and told him to go and celebrate with Martial. Seems tuned in to who needs the love on the pitch

Devil may care

Very mature performance, I felt he led the team well tonight and set the tone with his pressing.

barmyarmy

His performance today showed he will have a very important role to play this season in CL & Pl games against top 6 teams.

Name Changed

weso26
The amount of interceptions he made last night, I don't think I've ever seen somebody with so many. I counted 3 alone in the first 2 minutes.

I think it's only a matter of time before he's back in the team as first choice. Pogba to push more forward maybe.

Kapardin

This is why he is behind Fellaini in the pecking order. Fellaini can do minimum 75% of the defensive work he does minus the running and is more clinical in front of goal whenever he gets the chance.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Both him and Fellaini showing why one is starting and the other isn't.

el3mel

Honestly I though he did very well when he was introduced. Should have scored his chance, though, but he intercepted some dangerous balls and provided us with extra cover.

ManUtd1999

He had to at least hit the target. But, let's be honest: last year he was our POTY, and yet he scored only ONE goal in the league.

Devil may care

Added some much needed energy to the midfield when he came on and it was a hard game to get into as we were already on the backfoot when he got on and the next change made us even more negative. Should have scorfed his chance though, but that is a silly thing to hold against him, he's not the only one to miss a good chance for us.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Horrible shot but otherwise played well, intercepted some dangerous passes.

Kapardin

I don't believe he was this bad at scoring in his first season. Has LvG's coaching changed him permanently or something?

Ace of Spades

Added some much needed energy, but should have been introduced earlier.

By the time he came on, we were already in defensive mode.

Also, bad miss.

shield

Was energetic, added another body in midfield, did some running and missed a good chance. Nothing really special. Has not played much, so probably, needs a few matches to get going.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Should feature in a midfield 3 until Pogba returns, only way we'll keep some sort of control of the midfield.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
That shot :lol: At least hit the bloody target!
Even if he hit it lower it was still straight at the keeper. It was an awful shot. He should be directing that to the sides.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even if he hit it lower it was still straight at the keeper. It was an awful shot. He should be directing that to the sides.
Hitting the target to keep some dignity at least. It was weird because he took time to control it, we all expected some precise shot and not that shit.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Needs to start next game in place of Fellaini. Fellaini Is a great plan B which we all know but throughout the entirety of a game Herrera improves the team more imo.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Last seasons player of the year is playing well? Surprising.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't believe he was this bad at scoring in his first season. Has LvG's coaching changed him permanently or something?
If I remember right he had an unsustainably high conversion right in that first season. So it was more that he was never as good at scoring as his first season suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.