5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

Poor Carrick. Having to carry Herrera, Rooney and Fellaini in central mid for a few seasons. He was practically a one man show in central mid for at least 2 seasons. Was too much pressure to put on one player

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He was great in 2014/15 (even scored in the final) but has declined sharply since. Nowadays, he’s a passenger in most games and he passes sideways a lot.

Pogba is a terrific player and Matic is a very good one, but after that your standards drop a lot. Herrera, Fellaini - not good enough for a team of your profile.
Oh ok, I agree with what you've said.

If we had a 28 year old Micheal Carrick our midfield would be so much stronger. A good midfielder with an eye for a pass. Herrera is only good at pressing, and Fellaini is too limited.

Frank Grimes

Terrible foul for the free kick that led to city's second, you cannot foul there. Did the exact same versus West Ham 2 seasons back and cost us CL qualification.
Really hope we get rid in the summer.

RedDevil@84

Terrible foul for the free kick that led to city's second, you cannot foul there. Did the exact same versus West Ham 2 seasons back and cost us CL qualification.
Really hope we get rid in the summer.
Oh now we are going to start pointing out individual fouls to make a point. Fouls near box happen all the time. It is up to the players to defend FKs. If Lukaku didn't make a mess of the clearance, there was no chance they were scoring.

I would criticize his overall performance, but asking players not to make any mistakes in every tackle is asking way too much.

Frank Grimes

Oh now we are going to start pointing out individual fouls to make a point. Fouls near box happen all the time. It is up to the players to defend FKs. If Lukaku didn't make a mess of the clearance, there was no chance they were scoring.

I would criticize his overall performance, but asking players not to make any mistakes in every tackle is asking way too much.
It's a recurring problem with Herrera, he does it very regularly. There is a time to tackle and a time to stand up, he doesn't seem to know the difference.

criticalanalysis

He just isn't athletic enough to play a pressing game.

It annoys me so much when he goes charging towards somebody, for them to just side step him easily and run off. He turns like a boat and then has no pace to catch up again. He takes himself out of the game and countless times in the 2nd half Matic was left all alone chasing players back.

It's no surprise that his best period of form came when he was being played as a DM. He's deeper and can use his passing range better without being pressed. He does intercept quite well but only in tight spaces.

His lack of ability to carry the ball though is a real hindrance, he just doesn't work in a 2 man midfield.
See, I agree with this but at the same time, I don't think his intention was a bad idea.

The whole first half he was tracking Silva and De Bruyne from midfield back to the edge of his penalty box. For those, who were watching NBC's coverage, Dixon said it best, the defence had to push up and start applying more pressure onto the ball but it never happened. You defend and attack as a team.

People saying 'more composure, more foward balls, more bally carrying', yes he could and should have (done better) but there's no platform for the team to succeed bar the central defenders (who simply sit deep and don't partake in the game apart from in their box). Matic and Herrera in a two against the multiple midfield City runners? Suicide. 2nd half when we were chasing the game, Matic and Herrera were looking for out balls only to see Lukaku having pathetic hold up play and movement with Martial and Rashford receiving no support. Lingard try as he might couldn't bully the slick, faster and better City players compared to Arsenal.

I'm serious here, we should have played McTomminay. Have an extra body there in the middle and properly sit deep. Give the midfield a chance to defend and then counter attack.

Asking for those two in the middle to try to ball carry and pass forward is invite pressure from City in the middle, lose the ball and let them counter attack. Our midfield can't control a game not because of ability but tactics and lack of personnel there.

I've said this in other threads but just play 3 fecking proper midfielders and properly build a team from there. No other top club in the world can get away with two, why should we be different? Playing 3 midfielders doesn't automatically mean less attacking play or being defensive, it's about control and control gives you a foundation.

Did his job today, which was to keep himself in between KDB/Silva and our goal. He wasn't expected to do much else and it was our other players who failed in that department.

Ashley R1+O

Worked his bollocks off and was weird when he was booked for diving, apart from that he really doesn't work with Matic and his pressing can be really late and ineffective at times but I guess City are a top shelf side.

mad1max954

Useful squad player imo but we are lacking real depth in the middle. Against city it makes absolute sense to play Herrera however you also need a ‘pogba profile’ too so you have a bit of balance in the transition. Herrera is like Henderson on the ball. Slows it down every time, he can’t carry it and doesn’t play it forward. Matic and Herrera are a terrible combo too.

We didn’t even have players on the bench to mix it up. I know Andrea perrera preferably wanted to play, but he should never of been allowed to leave.

POF

He looks out of form and lacking confidence. There was one point in the second half where he received a pass under pressure and turned De Bruyne brilliantly. It opened up 40 yards of space in front of him but he didn't move into it and just ran across the pitch looking for Valencia.

He's at his best when he's on the ball a lot but doesn't seem to want the ball just now. It's a shame because the team really needs him to be at his best just now.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
You can criticize him, but he was one of the few players who showed character yesterday and actually provided something.

He was not technically perfect, his connection with Matic is as poor as Lukaku upfront, but I think that he had to contains KDB and especially Silva, and I tought that he did it well under those circumstances.

Horrible dive tbh, but he tried to do something else than throwing long balls like Rojo or Smalling.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why is he so frantic? Like, everything he does seems to have to be done at the quickest speed possible, and often far too quickly then his own feet can actually manage.

shield

He is getting Fellaini like praise now, that is, the type of praise Fellaini used to receive before this season (Fellaini has been quite good this season). Things like, "did his job", "kept things tight", "made himself available", "showed character", "provided an outlet" etc etc.

Had watched few of his performances under Van Gaal, and he was much much better than what he showed yesterday. I conclude he is still out of form.

PTSTSL

What disappointed me about Herrera yesterday was his ridiculous need to chase lost causes in midfield.

He was consistently too far away from either kdb or Silva when they received the ball and I lost count of the number of time he was taken out of the game by a neat pass around the corner or simple lay off. Either get closer or drop off and be useful elsewhere.

There's probably loads of tactical reasons for it but I'd expect, at this level, a bit more nous to be used.

Minimalist

What disappointed me about Herrera yesterday was his ridiculous need to chase lost causes in midfield.

He was consistently too far away from either kdb or Silva when they received the ball and I lost count of the number of time he was taken out of the game by a neat pass around the corner or simple lay off. Either get closer or drop off and be useful elsewhere.

There's probably loads of tactical reasons for it but I'd expect, at this level, a bit more nous to be used.
He's always done this.

It's why Van Gaal didn't like him and then didn't play him for periods because Herrera wouldn't think about his actions and maintain discipline with his positioning.

Overall he's been really poor this season. The quality on the ball is non existent at times. We might as well have Jordan Henderson in there and that's not a compliment.

Cliche Guevara

It's a recurring problem with Herrera, he does it very regularly. There is a time to tackle and a time to stand up, he doesn't seem to know the difference.
He has a terrible habit of chopping people and giving free-kicks away in dangerous positions. It’s his worst fault, I’d say.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why is he so frantic? Like, everything he does seems to have to be done at the quickest speed possible, and often far too quickly then his own feet can actually manage.
Because he lacks skill and compensates by desire. I really appreciate him as a professional but i dont think he has what it takes to start.

Robbie Boy

He's having a shocker of a season. He was brilliant last season and no amount of revisionism will change that but feck me, he's been atrocious this season.

M Bison

Supports
York City

In fairness to him, City did it all game but they did it in packs so we were always under pressure and never had time to settle.

yfoFC

Didn't otamendi stamp herrera's foot or was I watching another game? Herrera got to the ball first and pushed it away so otamendi had nothing to hit but his leg, might be soft but there was contact and justifiable reason to go down

I don't know if it's 'cause it's Herrera that's why people don't see this as a penalty or if people genuinely don't think it is

At least Jose saw it the way I did

POF

Didn't otamendi stamp herrera's foot or was I watching another game? Herrera got to the ball first and pushed it away so otamendi had nothing to hit but his leg, might be soft but there was contact and justifiable reason to go down

I don't know if it's 'cause it's Herrera that's why people don't see this as a penalty or if people genuinely don't think it is

At least Jose saw it the way I did
It was a clear penalty. It was a theatrical fall but there was certainly contact. If it was at the other end there would have been more than one replay.

TRD

This season Herrera's quality have decreased drastically. His performances are nowhere near how he used to perform previously. It might be the fact that we signed Matic or Jose prefer two in midfield with Fellaini as his third choice after Matic and Pogba.

He does not feel comfortable against the teams that plays pressing game. He is not as strong as other midfielders and cannot keep possession for long time. In next match, I would prefer McTominay over him to give the youngster a chance in first team.

Reactions: KM

wc18

Simply a mediocre player who is ok at everything and top class at nothing. No way should he be a starter

Crackers

greasy ginfers
He's having a terrible season. Can't pass, can't attack, can't track his midfield runners. When he came on, we became even more open, instead of less so.
I don't know whats wrong with him, but he's simply not good enough for United right now.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Better or anything close to Kante my ass. Had a short 'purple patch'. Nothing player, actually helps the opposition. Time to get rid.

Bojan11

That one two pass with Rashford summed his season up. Not sure how he expected Rashford to get that.

He has had no composure this season which is totally the opposite of last.

Greck

Thought he had good moments mixed with bad ones. But seriously needs to stop charging down the ball like an angry bull. When he does so, a simple one-two is all it takes to bypass him and expose the backline

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm a fan of him but he's been poor this season. One thing he seems to do a lot is to pass it short while the opposition are actively closing down the areas him and his pass receiver are in. He did it to Valencia today who promptly lost the ball. I don't know if this looks bad because his team mates are not able to get themselves out with a quick pass of their own, or because his passes are putting them under too much pressure.

haram

Can he kick a ball right? Even the clearance after his tackle at the end was fecking shit.

ManUtd1999

I'm a fan of him but he's been poor this season. One thing he seems to do a lot is to pass it short while the opposition are actively closing down the areas him and his pass receiver are in. He did it to Valencia today who promptly lost the ball. I don't know if this looks bad because his team mates are not able to get themselves out with a quick pass of their own, or because his passes are putting them under too much pressure.
Maybe he passes the ball too quickly, before his teammates are in good positions to receive the ball. He doesn’t take the extra second with the ball to provide a better pass.

wc18

Eh, I am no fan and I thought he was passable today, if not special. Made a good tackle in the end too.
No offense but if you thought that performance of his was "special" you should pick another sport to watch because football isn't for you

Status
Not open for further replies.