Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

That's Braga, although yeah that was another one.

Against Gala he wasn't awful but he was sloppy at times and wasn't surprised he was taken off - outshone by Cleverely throughout. Plus those corners.
Ah, misread you there. You can similarly excuse the Gala one as a dead rubber in a team full of youngsters, many of them on European debuts. And, as you've said, he wasn't really bad, he just didn't stand out. Being outshone by Cleverley is nothing to be ashamed of right now, he's playing brilliantly.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
When I was following your conversation with Brightonian I got the impression you thought it was a poor performance. Especially since you included the Braga performance.
He included the Braga performance because he got confused between Braga and Gala.

My point is that he is inconsistent, regardless of injuries. So in the space of a week he plays great against QPR and is disappointing against Galatasaray. He wasn't as bad as against Braga, but he was sloppy at times and his passing was poor. Like I said I wasn't surprised Fergie subbed him off.

I'm always right

Although anyone who has came in for big money at United and been here for 5 years and never been a regular through any reason is a lucky man to still be here. See Berbatov as an example, team of the year, top scorer but out the door. Think Ando is getting it easier due to our lack of options in midfield.
or...

because he's only 24 and has suffered terribly with injuries.

Platato

Psst!
He included the Braga performance because he got confused between Braga and Gala.

My point is that he is inconsistent, regardless of injuries. So in the space of a week he plays great against QPR and is disappointing against Galatasaray. He wasn't as bad as against Braga, but he was sloppy at times and his passing was poor. Like I said I wasn't surprised Fergie subbed him off.
I tend to think he has had more good performances than disappointing ones this season. His inconsistency was much more noticeable in seasons past. It's hard to look good in a midfield combo with Giggs. Just ask Carrick!

I'm always right

I tend to think he has had more good performances than disappointing ones this season. His inconsistency was much more noticeable in seasons past. It's hard to look good in a midfield combo with Giggs. Just ask Carrick!
I still find it amazing that posters are using 2 away performances in weakened teams in the CL in which most of our players were shite as any kind of indicator.

Everyone was shite against Braga until RVP, Rafael and Rio came on. Pretty much everyone was average at best against Gala too.

Platato

Psst!
Well IMR, they might just argue that he struggles to impose himself regardless of how we perform.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think carrick is criminally under rated on here.
I say this in an Anderson thread, it is as though Carrick can't come under any criticism at all otherwise he's the scapegoat or you're a hater.

Glad Ando played well. He has the technical ability to bring mobility on the ball which is something that Scholes, Carrick and even Fletcher lack.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really changed the game for us against QPR. That ability to pick up the ball and drive forward is something that none of our other midfielders have. I'd like to see him get a run of games soon. His performances overall this season have been good and at least deserve a few more starts than he has been getting so far outside of the minor cups and such

Cold_Boy

So basically after a good game where he changed the game for us , few are discussing that he is shit?

Platato

Psst!
Watched the match again. Once Anderson settled into the match, we were much more balanced defensively and offensively. I'm not sure where this myth comes from that he mostly performed well because QPR tired. He came on at 58 minutes. If QPR tired that early into the match, I would be worried about their fitness and it wasn't until the 70 minute mark when there was a noticeable change in QPR's play. At that point, the wind was knocked out of their sails and their attacks became much more sporadic.

A tactical point to keep in mind. The next time you lot watch Anderson, watch how he drags the opposition midfielder wide and out of position. He did this on several occasions Saturday and it was simply fantastic. It opened up space for Fletcher and our other attackers to move and find angles to penetrate QPR's defense. Basically he would start from a wide midfield position, pass to whoever was occupying the hole, receive the ball back, dribble diagonally through the center of midfield, lay it off to a teammate, then continue his run wide. At some point he would check his run, but it was wide enough to where one of QPR's midfielders had to track him. Combined with our increased tempo, it opened up the game and gave us more impetus through the center. The analysis is a bit simplistic but it was one aspect of his performance which stood out to me.

Giggsforever

Watched the match again. Once Anderson settled into the match, we were much more balanced defensively and offensively. I'm not sure where this myth comes from that he mostly performed well because QPR tired. He came on at 58 minutes. If QPR tired that early into the match, I would be worried about their fitness and it wasn't until the 70 minute mark when there was a noticeable change in QPR's play. At that point, the wind was knocked out of their sails and their attacks became much more sporadic.

A tactical point to keep in mind. The next time you lot watch Anderson, watch how he drags the opposition midfielder wide and out of position. He did this on several occasions Saturday and it was simply fantastic. It opened up space for Fletcher and our other attackers to move and find angles to penetrate QPR's defense. Basically he would start from a wide midfield position, pass to whoever was occupying the hole, receive the ball back, dribble diagonally through the center of midfield, lay it off to a teammate, then continue his run wide. At some point he would check his run, but it was wide enough to where one of QPR's midfielders had to track him. Combined with our increased tempo, it opened up the game and gave us more impetus through the center. The analysis is a bit simplistic but it was one aspect of his performance which stood out to me.
Not only that, but when we attack all teams, good and bad, like to change into flat four at the back and in midfield, often with a defensive attacker as well. The thing with Anderson is that he just find space between the midfielders and attack it and then their out of balance and it creates the space we need to play our most dangerous fotball. That way we avoid the static game with endless passing back and across to find a opening that often is not there.

I feel he has done more that justify a starting position right now and would like to see him combined with a very defensive Carrick for the next game.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I say this in an Anderson thread, it is as though Carrick can't come under any criticism at all otherwise he's the scapegoat or you're a hater.

Glad Ando played well. He has the technical ability to bring mobility on the ball which is something that Scholes, Carrick and even Fletcher lack.
Agree with everything although Carrick is our best midfielder so it normally gets pointed to his partner being the problem. At times that looks justified.

Lawman

Ando says feck you to all the haters. :)

So basically after a good game where he changed the game for us , few are discussing that he is shit?
No one is saying they hate him or he is shit, but a few folk are doubting that he is now going to be the answer to our problems after many a false dawn with him is that so wrong.

Gaeilge

Time and time again we discuss the natural rewards which should be handed to individuals based on their recent performances. Chico was rewarded for his recent fine form so I see no reason why Ando will not get the same recognition. Grabbed, he has not featured as much recently as Chico but surely his overall play this term merits an opportunity. Kinda get the feeling that he is ready to take an opportunity blithe scruff of the neck. I'd he can continue in that vein, a ball carrying Brazilian would be majestic

Brightonian

Agree with everything although Carrick is our best midfielder so it normally gets pointed to his partner being the problem. At times that looks justified.
Agreed. He's not been brilliant, but he's been hampered by having shit partners, so it's a bit of both.

Not sure he's our best midfielder though. He's our most important midfielder, because he's the only one (with a fully-functioning digestive system) who can play anything like a defensive midfielder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
anderson and carrick in theory should be a great partnership, why does it not happen ?

Lawman

Agreed. He's not been brilliant, but he's been hampered by having shit partners, so it's a bit of both.

Not sure he's our best midfielder though. He's our most important midfielder, because he's the only one (with a fully-functioning digestive system) who can play anything like a defensive midfielder.
Think this means he is our best now to be fair. I'm a big Carrick fan but I do wish at times we had two mobile midfielders with a bit steel and class like Keane and Scholes of old. Would love nothing better if Anderson and Cleverley stepped up though. Just think the possibilities of Anderson doing it is less likely than him actually doing it, but i'd love nothing more than to be wrong on it as its great to see him in full flight.

Adebesi

If Anderson does emerge as the main man in our midfield, staying clear of injuries in the second half of the season and being played regularly, we will all look back on the last few months, and how we all scratched our heads at why he wasnt playing, and concede it was another SAF managerial masterstroke.

Cina

If Anderson does emerge as the main man in our midfield, staying clear of injuries in the second half of the season and being played regularly, we will all look back on the last few months, and how we all scratched our heads at why he wasnt playing, and concede it was another SAF managerial masterstroke.
Not sure about that. He could have at least played one of him or Cleverley in games, instead of using players who don't like to run or are not capable of doing so anymore in two man midfields.

Surely the best way to get fit is to play football, unless Anderson is some special case. Look how injury prone Rafael was, and he's playing in practically every single game (touch wood) and looks far better than ever.

Adebesi

Itll only work in retrospect. If he comes good I think people will assume the way he has been managed ensured there was no reccurence of his injury problems. There will be no way to know for sure what would have happened if he had played more and earlier, but perhaps the assumption will be if he was hurried back quicker he might have got injured again.

There were times when Rafael was not getting games regularly, despite being fit, werent there? When Smalling was playing RB a lot, and Jones was getting games there too. Maybe that helped Rafael get himself 100% too.

Ferguson

Anderson's attitude and effort have been outstanding this season. No sulking about having to come off the bench.

Is he done with the sloppy passing and ready to consistently produce moments of magic like we saw on the weekend? I'm still not a believer.

But until United buy a midfielder, there is an opportunity there for Anderson to seize and to prove himself. Now is the time, and you sense by his attitude that Anderson knows it too.

Cina

Itll only work in retrospect. If he comes good I think people will assume the way he has been managed ensured there was no reccurence of his injury problems. There will be no way to know for sure what would have happened if he had played more and earlier, but perhaps the assumption will be if he was hurried back quicker he might have got injured again.

There were times when Rafael was not getting games regularly, despite being fit, werent there? When Smalling was playing RB a lot, and Jones was getting games there too. Maybe that helped Rafael get himself 100% too.
Well there's being nurtured to fitness and there's not playing at all. I don't like this idea of him just playing minor games. Why not play him in the PL games and then rest him in the CL or CoC games? I genuinely just think SAF prefers to use his senior players in more important matches, and this will continue to be the case.

I reckon we'll see more of Anderson after Xmas but that's mainly because Scholes will be burnt out (he already looks it) and Giggs has gotten so crap. I don't really think it's to do with his fitness. He still can't last 90 minutes in a game, surely the best way for him to reach fitness levels where he can do so is to playing matches, no?

I don't see Anderson as any sort of "solution" to our midfield, it's still ridiculously average whichever way you look at it, but fecking hell, he couldn't make it any worse, and at least he's still young so there's actually some long term benefit to playing him in it.

Adebesi

If Anderson has had it explained to him that he is getting limited time because SAF is doing everything possible to keep him fit, and been assured that SAF rates and values him, that would explain his good attitude and sunny demeanor, despite the limited playing time.

Adebesi

Well there's being nurtured to fitness and there's not playing at all. I don't like this idea of him just playing minor games. Why not play him in the PL games and then rest him in the CL or CoC games? I genuinely just think SAF prefers to use his senior players in more important matches, and this will continue to be the case.

I reckon we'll see more of Anderson after Xmas but that's mainly because Scholes will be burnt out (he already looks it) and Giggs has gotten so crap. I don't really think it's to do with his fitness. He still can't last 90 minutes in a game, surely the best way for him to reach fitness levels where he can do so is to playing matches, no?
I dont disagree with you actually, on anything you say.

My comments are more of the: "SAF (PBUH) works in mysterious ways, and while I do not really agree with the course of action, perhaps He is correct and will be vindicated in the fullness of time" variety.

I would have played him more, and in more important matches. But if he stays fit, if he plays a big role in the second half of the season, and if we go on to win the league I think the consensus will be SAF has been vindicated.

Cina

Yeah but by the time the latter part of the season comes he may have played so little that he still can't finish a game, or hit form, therefore what's the bloody point of it? If I was Anderson i'd be sitting there wondering why the feck SAF is playing 39 year olds and a Scotsman who suffers from a serious condition in matches instead of him, because it's one of the few times in his career he hasn't come in to the season injured and actually looks fit and is playing well.

Adebesi

Yeah but by the time the latter part of the season comes he may have played so little that he still can't finish a game, or hit form, therefore what's the bloody point of it?
Well I threw out three "ifs" in my post, the first two of which specifically relate to that not happening. But yes, if instead it plays out as you said then it wont go down as a SAF masterstroke. Itll go down as being exactly what we have all been saying it is for the past month or so.

Brightonian

Think this means he is our best now to be fair. I'm a big Carrick fan but I do wish at times we had two mobile midfielders with a bit steel and class like Keane and Scholes of old. Would love nothing better if Anderson and Cleverley stepped up though. Just think the possibilities of Anderson doing it is less likely than him actually doing it, but i'd love nothing more than to be wrong on it as its great to see him in full flight.
He can be our most important midfielder and not be our best. He's the only fit midfielder who can fill the DM/quasi-DM role, so he's important. But for me, Cleverley is narrowly the better player at the moment.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I'd be happy starting him more often if he didn't look shattered after an hour or so. Don't tell me that's a myth...it just isn't. He very rarely looks like completing 90 minutes.

He was top when he came on. I love a player who can drive forward like Anderson...and he's a better passer of the ball than some folk think. I like what he can bring...the key for me is his ability to do it over the course of a full 90 minutes and a few more goals would be a bonus.

Commadus

So the main argument against Anderson is he can't make it through a full 90 but Scholes and Giggs can? Great argument.

Giggs and Scholes make it through a 90 by not playing too fast - ergo our slow starts and general malaise at times in the middle. Anderson plays a more explosive game like Yaya - you either accept that and sub them later or play other players that can compensate - ergo City play Barry to do the running.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
He can be our most important midfielder and not be our best. He's the only fit midfielder who can fill the DM/quasi-DM role, so he's important. But for me, Cleverley is narrowly the better player at the moment.
Not a chance is TC a better option than Anderson. TC has looked lost almost every time we have played him in a 2 man mid this season. Anderson is the only mid we have who can dominate centrally with his power and ability to drive forward.

Clevs is neat and tidy and helps keep possession ticking over, but he is easily knocked off the ball and bullied at times, and does not contribute anywhere near what we need him to when played in a 2. In a 3 he has played much better, and had his best game this season away at Newcastle imo.

Neat and tidy but not powerful or influential enough to be considered our best current option in a 2 alongside Carrick or Fletch in my view. Anderson has proved himself a dominant partner for Carrick in the past, and will do so again given the opportunity. How Ando or Cleverley can be regularly seen by SAF as inferior options to Giggs or Scholes is simply beyond me!

Member 39557

He grabs the ball, runs with it and commits players and creates space. None of our other CM's can do this. The QPR game was crying out for him and thankfully, Fergie realised it.

I hope he starts more games soon, Ando, Cleverley and Powell are the future. As much as I love Scholes, it's time for him to take a back seat and come on to control possession when the games are already won.

londonredmaniac

So the main argument against Anderson is he can't make it through a full 90 but Scholes and Giggs can? Great argument.

Giggs and Scholes make it through a 90 by not playing too fast - ergo our slow starts and general malaise at times in the middle. Anderson plays a more explosive game like Yaya - you either accept that and sub them later or play other players that can compensate - ergo City play Barry to do the running.
Since when did I say either Scholes or Giggs could? When did I make that 'great argument? I don't think Giggs should be playing in the centre and Scholes shouldn't be starting. I think we should have signed a proper centre mid.

You don't have to accept anything. He's a professional footballer and should be capable of playing 90 minutes...it's dead simple really.

I'd be happy to see Ando start game in and game out...but I would, long term at least, like to see him complete 90 minutes convincingly. I actually started to give up hope with him...but I think I was premature on that. He loves to drive at the midfield and defence and he offers us something we don't have otherwise.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I'd be happy starting him more often if he didn't look shattered after an hour or so. Don't tell me that's a myth...it just isn't. He very rarely looks like completing 90 minutes.
Attribute that same logic to either Scholes or Giggs, and tell me why they should be considered better options than Ando. At least for the hour we have Anderson we look far better for it. Scholes and Giggs should be coming on to replace Anderson, not the other way around.

He was top when he came on. I love a player who can drive forward like Anderson...and he's a better passer of the ball than some folk think. I like what he can bring...the key for me is his ability to do it over the course of a full 90 minutes and a few more goals would be a bonus.
I agree, although again we are not getting those very things you expect from Anderson from either Giggs or Scholes, so i still don't see why you would not want him started ahead of them. However you look at it a powerhouse hour from Anderson, gives us far more than what we are currently getting by not picking him.

londonredmaniac

He grabs the ball, runs with it and commits players and creates space. None of our other CM's can do this. The QPR game was crying out for him and thankfully, Fergie realised it.

I hope he starts more games soon, Ando, Cleverley and Powell are the future. As much as I love Scholes, it's time for him to take a back seat and come on to control possession when the games are already won.
I think so.

londonredmaniac

Attribute that same logic to either Scholes or Giggs, and tell me why they should be considered better options than Ando.
I don't think they should at all. It's just an observation regarding Ando. Not in comparison to either Scholes and Giggs. Which is why I wanted us to sign a centre mid the summer.

londonredmaniac

It seems a few have misunderstood...so I shall make my point in a better fashion. Right now Anderson would be my choice for a starting spot.

I'd feel more comfortable with him having this role if he could last longer on the pitch from starting. I don't feel as comfortable that we didn't bring in another player in this position over the summer as a result. With Carrick, Ando and Clev midfield is what I'd start...I just think we should have other options that don't just include a two players in the twilight of their career. I don't think either are starting options.

Ando starts bu default for me...as does Carrick. That doesn't sit well with me option wise...and Ando's fitness only makes me worry that bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.