Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I don't even buy the "he can't finish the game" argument, personally. He was originally an attacking midfielder who has been developed into a box-to-box midfielder, which is probably the most energy demanding position on the pitch, and he's been plagued with long injury setbacks. We've been blessed by having the likes of Fletcher and Park who have vast amounts of energy. Notice that when Welbeck plays as a wide forward and has a lot of defensive covering to do, he usually doesn't last the full 90 minutes regardless of the scoreline. There's no doubt about it, that Anderson offers something that nobody else does. Nobody else is capable of making the surging runs directly at the defence that he does, and when fit he's a vital asset to our midfield department.

As somebody mentioned above, at this stage in their respective careers, Anderson should be starting games and constantly offering an attacking threat whilst Scholes should be used more sparingly to keep a tempo of the game. Anderson has shown in a number of performances this season that he is capable of a starting berth, as well as having the ability to come off the bench and make an impact. But why play him for 25 minutes when you can play him for 75? Hopefully Fergie is just taking extra caution regarding Anderson's involvement, and as the season progresses and Anderson's fitness is established then he'll be seen as a starting midfielder.

We should be playing Ando from the off, allowing him to have a long impact in the game, and hopefully by the time he tires (if he does) then he's done his job, we're in a good position and Scholes can come on to see the game out.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Can't wait for us to play Ando, Clev and Powell in midfield all through the champions league.

Reckon we'll make it to the final, at which point Fergie will then decide to play Giggsy, Scholes and Park, who we've loaned back from QPR.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Hopefully he'll start on Wednesday, continue his good form and will stay in the side for Reading.

The thought of going to City with either Giggs or Scholes starting in midfield fills me with nerves.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Saf apparently has said Anderson had "picked himself" for Wednesday.

Lovely.

Skywarden

Source:

Boss: Anderson picks himself

Sir Alex has confirmed Anderson will start against West Ham United on Wednesday night.

But the boss is still without Nani and will wait until Tuesday afternoon to make a decision on fellow winger Antonio Valencia, who's nursing a hip injury. Paul Scholes is also unavailable due to suspension.

ManUtd.com users voted Anderson United's Man of the Match following his performance against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday – a choice Sir Alex certainly doesn't disagree with.

"I thought Ando won the game for us," he told MUTV.

"His performance was outstanding. He took the game by the scruff of the neck and he was so positive and determined in his play that he picks himself on Wednesday.

"We'll see what Antonio is like today and tomorrow. Nani is still going to be out [but] Chris Smalling and Phil Jones were on the bench on Saturday and they're available.

"It's good to have them as back-up and in the back four things are much healthier. We've got plenty of options in the midfield and up front – it's just the two wide positions [where we have problems in terms of availability]."
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...nderson-picks-himself-for-west-ham-match.aspx

Brophs

The One and Only
Chicharito "picked himself" after the Villa game and then proceeded to stink the place out against Norwich. Could be a portent of doom.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Chicharito "picked himself" after the Villa game and then proceeded to stink the place out against Norwich. Could be a portent of doom.
You know, it would be just like Anderson to stink the joint out on Wednesday.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And was good against Galatasaray. RVP and Rooney were poor against QPR. Shit happens.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Sure hope there'll be a Anderson vs QPR completion video. I still can't believe I had to miss that half :(

Commadus

Hernandez picked himself for the Norwich game only for Fergie to mess that up with Giggs in the middle.

Anderson starting means little if its another tumescent rubbish of Welbeck stuck on the left and the misfiring Young.

All our wingers are either out of form or injured, we have 3 capable midfielders all in decent form - so why not try 433 - but that goes against some bullshit notion of wingers being in our DNA - what utter rubbish to justify playing wingers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good news he is starting. Ideally, he'd start in a three man midfield with Cleverley being one of the other two. I'd put Carrick behind them too. No winger is justifying their place, although I am sure if Valencia is fit he will start.

I'd play Rooney, Welbeck and Persie upfront, with Danny and Rooney drifting wide.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Good news he is starting. Ideally, he'd start in a three man midfield with Cleverley being one of the other two. I'd put Carrick behind them too. No winger is justifying their place, although I am sure if Valencia is fit he will start.

I'd play Rooney, Welbeck and Persie upfront, with Danny and Rooney drifting wide.
Ando and Clev playing together? Surely you jest! :lol:

Hernandez picked himself for the Norwich game only for Fergie to mess that up with Giggs in the middle.

Anderson starting means little if its another tumescent rubbish of Welbeck stuck on the left and the misfiring Young.

All our wingers are either out of form or injured, we have 3 capable midfielders all in decent form - so why not try 433 - but that goes against some bullshit notion of wingers being in our DNA - what utter rubbish to justify playing wingers.
I've become incredibly cynical lately I know but I can just see this happening. Ando playing in an incredibly static team playing for an hour trying to make things happen by running towards players who wont move an inch to make angles for passes and then getting subbed after an hour.

How many times...? :rolleyes:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Didn't they play together midweek?

Personally I want to see them play on Wednesday in a midfield two.
In Turkey in a meaningless game in a competition where we'd gone through already. When it really matters we all know that 'experience' is needed.

londonredmaniac

A fair point...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No ta. Midfield three please.
Won't work as well going forwards as we've seen when they're paired in a two, mainly because we never really function as a great attacking when we play a 433. Whether that's because use it in Europe to hit teams on the break or because our wide players aren't suited to playing as part of a front three, I'm not sure.

londonredmaniac

Won't work as well going forwards as we've seen when they're paired in a two, mainly because we never really function as a great attacking when we play a 433. Whether that's because use it in Europe to hit teams on the break or because our wide players aren't suited to playing as part of a front three, I'm not sure.
4-4-2 with an out of sorts Young and a striker playing as a winger just wont work either for me. Rumours Valencia is back but he is well off the boil too.

Don't like the idea of going 2 in centre mid right now.

MrMojo

When SAF says he's picked himself I want that to mean he's going to get a run, not a one game amphitheatre style decision maker.

A couple of great runs against QPR, but with more confidence they could be even better. He sometimes bursts forwards only to play it out wide when there's an opportunity to drive on into the heart of the defense and get a shot off. It's what he needs to make the step up.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
When SAF says he's picked himself I want that to mean he's going to get a run, not a one game amphitheatre style decision maker.

A couple of great runs against QPR, but with more confidence they could be even better. He sometimes bursts forwards only to play it out wide when there's an opportunity to drive on into the heart of the defense and get a shot off. It's what he needs to make the step up.
Agreed but his shooting is usually dire which is why I think he takes the safer option instead of going for goal. If he can improve his shooting there's no reason why he shouldn't be scoring 10+ goals for us each year.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused

Funny how the poor form of our wingers was rubbished by many when offered up as a reason why Scholes didn't play so well, and yet now it is already almost an early excuse for Anderson in case he doesn't light the game up on Wednesday.

Skywarden

Being a club renowned for its wingers, our style of play last season was "unusually" balanced:

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
"Once they leave the training ground, you can't go with them. I am not saying this is his lifestyle, or it is a problem. But you can't live with them 24 hours a day so there may be something that is occurring out there that we don't know about."
Quote from Tony Coton.

Well i think it is fairly obvious where he is going....if you can't control what he does when he leaves training but surely you can fine him for continually being overweight!!

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
We should try 4-3-3 vs West Ham. Carrick, Ando and Cleverley in CM, Welbeck, van Persie and Rooney as a trio up front. None of our wingers are really in any sort of form at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.