Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Gibson was utter shite
Still better than Anderson.

Just don't get it. Anderson played really well in some recent games, and then he produces a performance like that where he can't seem to do anything right.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Have you ever been to a football match?

He was asked to play deep, despite the fact he is by far the best attacking midifieder at the club (and yes I include the first 11).

If you want to blame anyone look at SAF for playing the likes of Gibson, Wellbech (Campbell was by far the better talent), Park & Neville.
a) At least twice, maybe three times. Can't remember.

b) And yet, when he attacked, he was dreadful. Also if he's by far better than Giggs and Fletcher, I'm a Hottentot.

c) Why would I blame Ferguson for the fact that, when faced with an open United player ten feet away, Anderson's passes have the pace you'd expect on a ball that had to travel forty yards? Obviously this was not a settled 11 with a great deal of experience playing together, but Anderson got many of the absolute basics all wrong this evening. Fringe players like the ones you mention did play, but some clearly outshone Anderson despite their lack of experience. Meh, lousy night all around, but I expected more from the lad.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This All 3 United bloke, not the sharpest tool in the box, is he?

As for Anderson, he was terrible. Gibson wasn't much better but he was better. Which is a worry, when you consider how little is expected of Gibson and how much we should expect from Anderson.

All this blaming Gibson shite is utter nonsense. Anderson has managed to play just as poorly as he did today alongside almost every CM in our team, all of whom tend to save their worst displays for when he's their partner. Coincidence?

johnmufc

He was atrocious tonight.
If I can take any positives from his performance it's that he did look a bit better when Carrick came on.
He just seemed to have to understanding whatsoever with Gibson.

Both Anderson and Gibson were extremely poor though - there are no excuses, it was a woeful performance from our two central midfielders.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
So why does he have up and down games when the full first choice team are playing? Surely he's supposed to be 'clicking' with them given their obvious qualities all the time?

Surely a match like this is a reason for Anderson to step up and provide an example to those around him with less experience, not use them as an excuse for a poor performance?
The reason why he has up and down games is generally dependent upon a) who is in the team and b) whether he is asked to play behind the front 2 or in front of the back 4. He is an attacking midfielder and should be played in that position. Why try to change such a talent???? "Because we need to be more precautios going forward." First sign of somebody getting old is precaution.

charleysurf

A fantastic analysis by Dark Savante on the BigSoccer board:

You can't put Anderson and Gibson together in a 4-4-2 and expect anything but confusion and inconsistency. A 4-3-3, yes; it's a much more base set of rules, but a 2-man CM demands so much more, and you've got to have an understanding of the actual 'CM' position to play it. Gibson, as exhibited, has much more understanding of what to do from there, but Anderson, as a novice in the role, is quite clueless when not given specific jobs. You can't put him out there next to someone who won't/can't guide him and also with the flanks we had out there, there wasn't any go-to pass for him, which sees him struggle.

OneUnited24

As for Anderson, he was terrible. Gibson wasn't much better but he was better. Which is a worry, when you consider how little is expected of Gibson and how much we should expect from Anderson.

All this blaming Gibson shite is utter nonsense. Anderson has managed to play just as poorly as he did today alongside almost every CM in our team, all of whom tend to save their worst displays for when he's their partner. Coincidence?
Granted that Anderson was poor tonight its a bit much saying Gibson was better, i dont know the pass completion but it seemed whenever Gibson got the ball he took a age to make a pass and most wouldnt get past the defender. IMO the only thing Gibson did was take a shot on more and he hardly did anything of note with those strikes. Anderson lacked his usual drive about him and some of the passes we expect him to do werent paying off but honestly the last time i thought Anderson had a really bad game for us was vs Burnley when he was playing as a winger, since he hasnt been that bad.

He just lacks consistancy imo which was seen today, and perhaps the ability to play in a 442 - but hes shown this season that he can play that (Wolfburg for example alongside Carrick i believe, i think there was even a game where he played alongside Scholes and he had a alright game).

All 3 United

This All 3 United bloke, not the sharpest tool in the box, is he?

No clearly I am not the sharpest tool in the box!!! Dear me wake up and at least take your blinkers off. SAF asked Anderson to play deep so the youngsters could push forward and make an attacking impression on the game. Even Gibsons square balls were constantly just behind his team mate.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The reason why he has up and down games is generally dependent upon a) who is in the team and b) whether he is asked to play behind the front 2 or in front of the back 4. He is an attacking midfielder and should be played in that position. Why try to change such a talent???? "Because we need to be more precautios going forward." First sign of somebody getting old is precaution.
Wow. Always amazes me when people decide to blame the manager instead of the player after performances like that. Stick him anywhere on the pitch and he'd still have been distinctly unimpressive with that level of performance.

His position wasn't the problem.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
As i said in the Gibson thread, its unfair just to say that the midfielders were shit. I thought the forward 2 made it easy for the defence with their lack of intelligent runs and getting themselves closed down too quickly. But then, they are both 18 and learning. So, defeat tonight but hopefully long term lessons learned. No point in playing the blame game in such a match

All 3 United

Granted that Anderson was poor tonight its a bit much saying Gibson was better, i dont know the pass completion but it seemed whenever Gibson got the ball he took a age to make a pass and most wouldnt get past the defender. IMO the only thing Gibson did was take a shot on more and he hardly did anything of note with those strikes. Anderson lacked his usual drive about him and some of the passes we expect him to do werent paying off but honestly the last time i thought Anderson had a really bad game for us was vs Burnley when he was playing as a winger, since he hasnt been that bad.

He just lacks consistancy imo which was seen today, and perhaps the ability to play in a 442 - but hes shown this season that he can play that (Wolfburg for example alongside Carrick i believe, i think there was even a game where he played alongside Scholes and he had a alright game).
If I am totally honest I think Anderson did loose a bit of his drive tonight and I would guess that is because he's thinking WTF am I doing playing with the reserves when I was the best player against Chelsea.

OneUnited24

As i said in the Gibson thread, its unfair just to say that the midfielders were shit. I thought the forward 2 made it easy for the defence with their lack of intelligent runs and getting themselves closed down too quickly. But then, they are both 18 and learning. So, defeat tonight but hopefully long term lessons learned. No point in playing the blame game in such a match
I donno mate i gotta disagree, i thought our front two were pretty good today but just lacked service from the midfield. Some of Kiko and Welbecks interchange was really good, they even tried at times to get behind the defenders but never got the type of ball they needed.

charleysurf

If I am totally honest I think Anderson did loose a bit of his drive tonight and I would guess that is because he's thinking WTF am I doing playing with the reserves when I was the best player against Chelsea.
If he has that attitude in a CL game then God help him.

OneUnited24

Honestly i doubt a professional footballer would think like this, and i think if they did they wouldnt be playing at United. I just think he had a bad game, people that are questioning his talent or getting annoyed because they expect a 20 something year old to be brilliant is not fair (even if he does earn a lot of money), i mean its only because of teh likes of Cesc, Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi that people are starting to expect more from their youngesters what happened to the days where footballers were only expected to be good after their mid-20's?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A fantastic analysis by Dark Savante on the BigSoccer board:
Pretty poor analysis IMO.

This bit...

You can't put him out there next to someone who won't/can't guide him and also with the flanks we had out there, there wasn't any go-to pass for him, which sees him struggle.
...makes no sense when you bear in mind how he's often at his worst alongside Scholes, our most experienced - and arguably best - central midfielder and that he's capable of playing like shite, no matter who's on the wings.

Smacks of trying to find other people to blame for Anderson's own failings.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I donno mate i gotta disagree, i thought our front two were pretty good today but just lacked service from the midfield. Some of Kiko and Welbecks interchange was really good, they even tried at times to get behind the defenders but never got the type of ball they needed.
They stood fecking stationary or central for most of the match and then expected the midfield to thread it through the eye of a needle. That lot played 5 across the back most of the match, yet Wellbeck hardly ran the channels. Macheda did slightly better but still not enough. I hope they learn from it.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm not sure what are we trying to make from Anderson but atm it isn't working. His positioning and discipline is awful, hence he cannot keep possession very well and be a part of a two man midfield. Yet we play him there.
And then comes the odd game where he's sent a bit further up the pitch where he seems to have forgotten what to do(if he ever knew) and goes into hiding mode. - heavy first touch, very little composure and questionable passing.

Our Nani/Anderson experiment seems to be going nowhere so far.

charleysurf

Pretty poor analysis IMO.

This bit...

...makes no sense when you bear in mind how he's often at his worst alongside Scholes, our most experienced - and arguably best - central midfielder.

Smacks of trying to find other people to blame for Anderson's own failings.
Nah, it rings true to me. I really don't think Scholes is one for leading those beside him. It was the same in Carricks early days. Scholes wouldn't even pass to Carrick until he'd proved himself a bit.

Crerand Legend

What was wrong with him tonight? He looked so ordinary and every part of his game was off.Hope SAF let him know

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Anderson's movement is ameatuer, he makes it so much easier for the opposition. I'm pretty sure it's the reason he can not get back into the Brazil squad. I remember Dunga having an issue with Pato over it although he has much improved now.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Shocked but I guess the season he's been having, he was due a poor one.

You can only hope this is a temporary blimp and he's back at it, i'd still like to see him against Pompey.

Mojo_pin

I usually agree with Pogue but IMHO Gibson was that poor. He looked like a player who didn't know what he wanted to do with the ball once he got it and when he decided to do the logical thing it was a split second too late.

Countless times he had the opportunity to play a positive ball to Anderson, yet decided to play it square or back to a defender. When he did have the courage to play it forward it was too late and cut out easily by the defense.

I can't help but think that with a more experienced midfielder playing beside him (anderson) not only would his performance have been better but we may have had got something out of the game.

Even if Gibson was match fit he would have been subbed before Anderson because he was lacking in what we needed most...someone to get us going in the attacking third.

Having said that, I think he does have a lot of potential (not as much as Anderson). He's in that collecting the dots to connect the dots phase of his career.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
...makes no sense when you bear in mind how he's often at his worst alongside Scholes, our most experienced - and arguably best - central midfielder and that he's capable of playing like shite, no matter who's on the wings.
Maybe it's because Anderson - Scholes is a terrible combination.

Kaush949

He is not a central midfielder. He is an attacking midfielder just like Ronaldinho/Gerrard. He should play in a 3 man midfiled right behind the striker. So far Anderson-Carrick-Fletcher midfield never fails to deliver and brings the best out of Anderson.

Red Norse

Still better than Anderson.

Just don't get it. Anderson played really well in some recent games, and then he produces a performance like that where he can't seem to do anything right.
Do a count of his games at professional level. Then check his age. If that doesn't mean anything to you, see how many games that line up had amassed together.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is not a central midfielder. He is an attacking midfielder just like Ronaldinho/Gerrard. He should play in a 3 man midfiled right behind the striker. So far Anderson-Carrick-Fletcher midfield never fails to deliver and brings the best out of Anderson.
Exactly. He can do a job in central midfield but he is naturally an attacking midfield it seems. He's almost always been class in a three man midfield whereas he's sometimes been in a midfield two.

That isn't to say he can't be part of a united midfield two for years to come, he can, but mastering that will take him some time.

I didn't watch the game last night, but Anderson's been having a great season. Hopefully this is a small blip, in a not so important game where we selected a second string team and he was not in his favorite position.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
An attacking midfielder like Gerrard and Ronaldinho? Wouldn't he have to be able to, you know, score goals?

Clique

As i saw it, there were two glaringly obvious problems yesterday.
1. Lack of width: Park was more often than not in the middle than out wide. Infact i don't think i remember him getting the ball on the byline and then cutting inside. with their central midfielders closing our duo down all the time, the better pass would be to the flanks and as i saw it only obertan was available for the pass. Rafael did try to make an Evra impression but he lost the ball very often and that caused us problems in the night.

The Hollywood Pass: Maybe due to the lack of width or maybe because they thought they'd do a Stevie Me impression, both our midfielders sought to pass that long pass from the half yard line which either went for a goalkick as in Anderson's case or went to the opposition in Gibson's case. Don't get me wrong, but Anderson's biggest strength is his ability to run with the ball and yesterday there was only two instances of him running with the ball and in both those instances he created chances, the cut back for Macheda to head and the free kick which Gibson sent to the stands. His passes didn't connect well and he was not in the same wavelength to his team. But he seemed allright/good once carrick came on. Coincidence?

As for Gibson, i unfortunately didn't see him on the ball very often, infact in the first half he was invisible almost. That isn't a good sign for a central midfielder and he takes way too many shots when he could have passed.

All said and done, i think we're being far too critical of our team here. The forwards and the midfielders have never played together before as a unit. It would be hard for any midfielder to understand his winger's game without even playing with him in match conditions. Park,Obertan,Macheda,Welbeck,Gibson and Anderson have never been on the same team and they didn't click the first time they were. I still have very high hopes for Anderson and the kids we played out there.

Clique

An attacking midfielder like Gerrard and Ronaldinho? Wouldn't he have to be able to, you know, score goals?
Maybe the comparisons aren't warranted. But Anderson is at his best when he runs with the ball or takes a 1-2 and moves forward. His best trait isn't necessarily his passing. This maybe made the poster compare him to a gerrard like player.

But i certainly feel he's worked on it and he's had a very very good month or so leading up to this game from the center. I feel you're being a tad harsh on him based on this game Pogue.

Sam

Pathetic prformance from him last night. He should be ashamed.

Its all good and well turning up for the big games and playing like a beast, but if you're consistently gonna treat the smaller games like a kick around in the park, then really, whats the fecking point?

Still loving the dreads.

AttackingFlair

Bit surprised because he was on some great form but then got dropped and finally got a start the other night. Didn't play well.

Status
Not open for further replies.