View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Oranges038

His save % is 4th best in the league (and 4% better than DDG last season) He had a shocker against Bayern but if the rest of the team’s weakest attributes compared as well as Onana’s does to his peers at other clubs then we’d be a lot better off in the league than we are now.
Saw that on the sky sports coverage last week.

He's had his issues and yeah there are goals you look at and say, he could have done better.

He's 4th in terms of save % made the 4th most saves of any keeper in the league while Utd have the 9th most shots against. He also has a +1 psxg, 9th.

So while last season we had to listen about DDG being a great shot stopper, even though the stats didn't back it up.

This season we're hearing about how Onana isn't as good a shot stopper as DDG, even though the stats suggest otherwise.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Saw that on the sky sports coverage last week.

He's had his issues and yeah there are goals you look at and say, he could have done better.

He's 4th in terms of save % made the 4th most saves of any keeper in the league while Utd have the 9th most shots against. He also has a +1 psxg, 9th.

So while last season we had to listen about DDG being a great shot stopper, even though the stats didn't back it up.

This season we're hearing about how Onana isn't as good a shot stopper as DDG, even though the stats suggest otherwise.
Was looking for that and couldn’t find it. I remember DDG was mid table by that metric last season (when his shot stopping generally seemed better than it had been in a while)

Taribo's Gap

Was looking for that and couldn’t find it. I remember DDG was mid table by that metric last season (when his shot stopping generally seemed better than it had been in a while)
You can find it on FBREF Advanced Goalkeeping stats. Honestly, he's not far off where you would hope for him to be if the rest of his game were clicking. That hasn't quite happened yet, but he has pulled up his standing in this statistic over the last few weeks even if it can look shaky at times.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You can find it on FBREF Advanced Goalkeeping stats. Honestly, he's not far off where you would hope for him to be if the rest of his game were clicking. That hasn't quite happened yet, but he has pulled up his standing in this statistic over the last few weeks even if it can look shaky at times.
Thanks. Disappointing to see his pass completion % so far down the table. I just don’t understand why he is taking so many long kick outs (and why they’re so inaccurate) That was supposed to be one of his main strengths. I guess it just highlights what a complete shambles we are in defence and at the base of midfield.

CoopersDream

His save % is 4th best in the league (and 4% better than DDG last season) He had a shocker against Bayern but if the rest of the team’s weakest attributes compared as well as Onana’s does to his peers at other clubs then we’d be a lot better off in the league than we are now.
And in all competitions his save % is about 66% (6% worse than DDG last season). It's too early to draw any conclusions about this though, we're still early in the season and a good or bad performance could still impact the stats quite a bit. He's certainly been very good in the league the past two games.

The funniest thing about this though is that people were so sure that getting a new keeper would tranfsorm us and he wouldn't actually need to be that good a shot stopper because a lot of the opportunities the opponents got was supposedly because DDG was a dinosaur goalkeeper and the new goalkeeper would prevent those. Well, that didn't happen and we're sitting at 30 conceeded goals about a third into the season.

Last edited:

Mercurial

Not his biggest fan, but fair need to be fair. Our defense is the main culprit so far. He faces so many shots that percentage wise even at a good save rate it leads to goals against us. Granted he let som soft goals in so far, its inhumane to put all the blame on him squarely, rest of the team is underperforming big time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And in all competitions his save % is about 66% (6% worse than DDG last season). It's to early to draw any conclusions about this though, we're still early in the season and a good or bad performance could still impact the stats quite a bit. He's certainly been very good in the league the past two games.

The funniest thing about this though is that people were so sure that getting a new keeper would tranfsorm us and he wouldn't actually need to be that good a shot stopper because a lot of the opportunities the opponents got was supposedly because DDG was a dinosaur goalkeeper and the new goalkeeper would prevent those. Well, that didn't happen and we're sitting at 30 conceeded goals about a third into the season.
I think a lot of people (myself included) thought we would play out from the back a hell of a lot better without DDG but we only had a glimpse of that (against Arsenal, Brighton and Spurs) before all the other parts of that jigsaw got injured (Martinez, Shaw) or woefully out of form and then injured (Casemiro)

In terms of preventing goals there were two situations against Copenhagen where I’m sure DDG would have faced a one one one but Onana prevented by being very quick and decisive coming off his line. Not so much before then because his confidence and form seems to have been in his boots after the difficult start.

CoopersDream

I think a lot of people (myself included) thought we would play out from the back a hell of a lot better without DDG but we only had a glimpse of that (against Arsenal, Brighton and Spurs) before all the other parts of that jigsaw got injured (Martinez, Shaw) or woefully out of form and then injured (Casemiro)

In terms of preventing goals there were two situations against Copenhagen where I’m sure DDG would have faced a one one one but Onana prevented by being very quick and decisive coming off his line. Not so much before then because his confidence and form seems to have been in his boots after the difficult start.
I'm sure Onana would be a great goalkeeper for a team that can play out from the back. Manchester United are not that team at the present, unfortunately.

Yeah, Onana did well to come of his line against Copenhagen, but de Gea did that at times as well (no matter how much stick he got for being stuck on his line). Statistically, Onana has been slightly better at high claims than de Gea while being worse than de Gea at sweeping. Onana has been bang average at high claims and absolutely bottom of the pack at sweeping. But the thing is, a lot of these stats are like they are because of the way we play. We do not play in a way that we need the goalkeeper to sweep a lot, we do not this year and we did not last year. Which means that, as people did last year, just looking at amount of sweeps are about as useful as looking at amount of saves to determine which goalkeeper is best at that particular thing.

Man Utd 1:0 Luton Town
Big save at 0-0. He's been a lot better the last month.

His passing has clearly regressed from Inter...but that was predictable when you watched them last year and saw the sheer weight of options they gave him for passes in every direction and distance - including his old reliable out-ball to Dumfries. He also had forwards like Dzeko and Lukaku who actually fought for contested aerial duels which helps a bit tbh.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Our best player on current form.

FerociousCorgis

No complaints today. Good save on the header that he prob should make but was still nice. Other than that we still need to work on giving passing angles for him

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
No complaints today. Good save on the header that he prob should make but was still nice. Other than that we still need to work on giving passing angles for him
There is so little point into signing Onana when you play players like McTominay.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good goalkeeping. Although he shouldn't launch it with seconds to go.

dcrompton

I don’t really care for stats like save percentage, I’ve seen enough of Onana to see he’s not a very good keeper. Too slow to get down to low shots, stuck to his line for one on ones, the saves he does make are often back into a dangerous area. Not very commanding on crosses (and a bit of a liability against wolves) Also, if it wasn’t for his reputation, based on his games for us, I would say his distribution is a bit rubbish too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don’t really care for stats like save percentage, I’ve seen enough of Onana to see he’s not a very good keeper. Too slow to get down to low shots, stuck to his line for one on ones, the saves he does make are often back into a dangerous area. Not very commanding on crosses (and a bit of a liability against wolves) Also, if it wasn’t for his reputation, based on his games for us, I would say his distribution is a bit rubbish too.
That’s a pity because stats are usually the only way to change the minds of people who write a player off too quickly and let that conclusion they’ve jumped to bias their opinions for a long while after that.

Stig

Against Copenhagen he hardly held any shot, he looked very dodgy.

He doesn't fill me with confidence even when he saves something.

simplyared

Not a fan! He dives at everything that moves. No composure whatsoever. Makes me nervous the way he hangs on to the ball with it at his feet. His distribution is very dodgy to say the least. Wastes too much time which makes him suspect to yellow cards.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't get my feelings on him straight... I think he's great, but also a bit rubbish, but I like how comfortable he is with his feet, but I think his long-range kicking is crap, but he is pulling out some decent saves now, but he should save more? or at least sort some aspects of his technique out, but then he seems like a brilliant character and he's a cool bastard.

Unam333

I can't get my feelings on him straight... I think he's great, but also a bit rubbish, but I like how comfortable he is with his feet, but I think his long-range kicking is crap, but he is pulling out some decent saves now, but he should save more? or at least sort some aspects of his technique out, but then he seems like a brilliant character and he's a cool bastard.
His technique does look a bit awkward. Maybe a bit clumsy? Hopefully he will keep improving. Not sure if he'll ever become world class, but right now he's a very good keeper.

tomaldinho1

These kind of comments always make me chuckle. Some randomer on the internet completely dismissing a professional player who has been at the highest level for about a decade.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not a fan! He dives at everything that moves. No composure whatsoever. Makes me nervous the way he hangs on to the ball with it at his feet. His distribution is very dodgy to say the least. Wastes too much time which makes him suspect to yellow cards.
I love this lad and am happy he is slowly getting back to his best.
We've reached absolute peak Caf here. We will never reach such lofty heights again.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s great - but a shaky start. Once our defence is back (Licha, Shaw especially), we’ll see how good he is.

Irwin99

We haven't seen the best of his passing ability yet but that will change when Shaw and Martinez come back. It looked very good in the Arsenal game from what I remember.

People saying he can’t pass… Pep Guardiola said it was useless pressing Onana due to how good he is in build up.

A La Masia graduate. Shaped at Ajax. Just see that pass to Garnacho against Spurs earlier in the season. Scholes would’ve been proud of that one.

Save-wise, he’s got an awkward technique, but he looks so much better now he’s settled after a shaky start. Long may it continue.

dcrompton

These kind of comments always make me chuckle. Some randomer on the internet completely dismissing a professional player who has been at the highest level for about a decade.
i suggest you stay clear of the performance forum, randomers criticising professional footballers is 99% of the posts

Which part of what I said isn’t true though?

tomaldinho1

i suggest you stay clear of the performance forum, randomers criticising professional footballers is 99% of the posts
Which part of what I said isn’t true though?
I know but you literally said he can't do anything :lol:

Distribution has been the main thing I think people are on the fence about, some games he's insane (Bayern before his error was about as good an example as you will see) but then he seems to have dialled it back and is going long a lot more now. I suspect this will change when Licha returns.

I don't really think any of your other points are true, there was the one save vs Brentford he was a bit slow getting down to and Schmeichel commented specifically on that part of his technique but then there are lots of techniques in keeping (no one seems to mention on this is was actually a deflected shot). Go through his games now the media has calmed down and bit and he's made 1 big howler (Bayern), 1 big error from passing (when Case got sent off) and then there some iffy things like the Brentford goal or vague comments about how he should have made himself bigger or done this or that but these can get lobbied at literally every keeper out there. He's literally making very good saves now and if it falls anywhere back into play people are saying he just palms stuff back into danger...there comes a point where you have to start wondering are posters like you just waiting, even hoping, for something to comment on.

It's definitely not been a start to blow people away but what specifically has he done that makes you happy to write him off at such an all encompassing level?

Edit, I may well be forgetting something here so feel free to add it in

Revaulx

So you’d be happy if he let loads of goals in as long as he had nice hair?

Lyng

I thought he had a very bad start for us, but the last matches he has looked really good. He is adapting well to the team and I hope he keeps improving like this. He has changed my mind.

Wing Attack Plan R

Looks like he's bedding in. Nerves are gone. Some of his long passes / clearances are still wild. Have yet to see him play successfully in the role he ostensibly was signed to play, that of bringing the ball up by himself, with defenders pushing up.

I think he's going to have a real dilemma on his hands regarding the ACoN, because he's finally getting his shit together at United, and missing up to 7 games would stymie any progress he's made. Giving the #1 gloves to Bayindir is risky, because if Bayindir is any good, Onana won't get his place back.

Onana is believed to be willing to go to the tournament in Ivory Coast, but it could cost him up to seven games with United. Given that Ten Hag has signed a very capable No 2 in Altay Bayindir, that will have to be a consideration. [from a shit source, so not linked]

TempusFugit

Some posters are complaining about his passing not being very good. We play some of the most "difficult" football in the league.we constantly have to pull off perfect passes because we don't do the basics properly. Pass and move, finding a free man etc it's just so difficult for this team. How many of our midfielders can receive the ball from him on the turn? Rewatch the CL final and see just how comfortable Hakan and Barella were in that role, enabling Inter Milan to completely disable City's aggressive press in some instances.

Whenever Onana has the ball here, his only options are a fullback hugging the touch line/our CBs who aren't great at build up play or Rashford/Højlund who are usually tightly marked. We always go long when we have no one uptop to win the aerial duels. We don't make enough use of our midfielders to bypass the press, i find it very embarrassing when we play a good team and the ball constantly goes back to him to find a solution. He's actually better on the ball than several of our midfielders which is just shocking.