Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Oh I've already seen some teams not afraid to have a go from seemingly random spots since his first error. It's bizarre, as it feels like a genuine mix of clear goalkeeping issues and mental issues. I can't believe we've gone from a keeper that's a headcase with his feet to now one that's a headcase with his hands.
:lol: :(

croadyman

Erik has to be ruthless with him whatever he might be saying in front of the cameras

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I must admit that I didn’t watch the game in real-time. But haven’t seen the “howlers” now, it’s actually not his sole mistake. We collectively failed to defend properly. That wall was scandalous, and how the hell did we let the ball travel that far for the second goal.

macheda14

I know we don't but we need many players as Ten Hag has sold off decent (but not great players) for some absolute shite. It's like LVG all over again.
Who has been an active downgrade?

De Gea - Onana: I'd say the same level. De Gea made as many clangers last season, but Onana is actually better on the ball.
Fred - Mount: We haven't seen any of Mount because he's been injured. Fred was incredibly inconsistent. Mount hasn't hit the heights Fred could hit, but also hasn't cost us games like Fred.
??? - Antony: We haven't had a right winger in ETH's time here. You can say Sancho, but he's a left winger.

Who has ETH actively 'sold off' who would be decent right now? (I'm not being acusative, I'm drawing a blank)

crossy1686

career ending
Who has been an active downgrade?

De Gea - Onana: I'd say the same level. De Gea made as many clangers last season, but Onana is actually better on the ball.
Fred - Mount: We haven't seen any of Mount because he's been injured. Fred was incredibly inconsistent. Mount hasn't hit the heights Fred could hit, but also hasn't cost us games like Fred.
??? - Antony: We haven't had a right winger in ETH's time here. You can say Sancho, but he's a left winger.

Who has ETH actively 'sold off' who would be decent right now? (I'm not being acusative, I'm drawing a blank)
Fred could have done a job tonight, De Gea could have done a job, we almost lost McTomminay and Maguire, and they've been two of our better players this season so far. Then we've got Sancho and Varane jettisoned into the void, dare I even say Pereria would even have been a better option than Amrabat.

I'm not saying any of these players are great but you sell them all off and then complain that you have to start McTomminay because he understands United. He just doesn't appear to know what he's doing at all.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just as he was picking up form! I think erratic performances can be expected and even forgiven until season 2 at least. Then it should stabilise if he is in fact the right player for you. His lowest level is comical, I like him and back him to become consistent but tonight was an absolute car crash. No forgiving it really. He’ll be gutted.

Red00012

I must admit that I didn’t watch the game in real-time. But haven’t seen the “howlers” now, it’s actually not his sole mistake. We collectively failed to defend properly. That wall was scandalous, and how the hell did we let the ball travel that far for the second goal.
One man wall for the 2nd goal I presume Onana asked for it. and then he fecked up from having a clear sight of it all the way

JagUTD

I do too, but for the manager who’s being thrown under the bus by his bottling goalkeeper.
Bottling requires a steady hand and good coordination.

Onanas expertise is in spilling. Wouldn't last a week at a bottling factory.

croadyman

So he gets a free pass today for being the only player who can legally use his hands on our team and yet when he does it's only to punch the ball in his own net?
Exactly too much sentiment over some decent performances against bottom half sides. Need to be keeping tabs on Maignan/Costa but they won't be cheap that's for certain

gregwar

Genuinely awful tonight.

Maybe I'm a glutton for misery, or he's just likeable, but I've not lost faith in him yet.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Onana's champions league blunders would make much more sense if he was involved in some kind of illegal gambling scheme, because of being blackmailed or who knows what. But it is hard to believe something like that going on. And yet, it is equally hard to believe that a talented and experienced goalkeeper like him is making so many idiotic mistakes at the top level. It's almost statistically impossible what he has done in Champions League to us

Marcus

The conditions were quite bad. Willing to give him benefit of the doubt.

JagUTD

The conditions were quite bad. Willing to give him benefit of the doubt.
Fair point. Not often he's played in the pissing down rain for a club from a City that descends into mass hysteria on the mere rumour of the sun coming out.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

This is a hell of a lot of mistakes in 4 months. Not all of them are his fault, but I don't see how he's going to recover to become a competent keeper for United. Taking responsibility against Bayern was one thing, but it doesn't work when you keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over.

Martinez may have ripped his head off if he'd been playing tonight.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I know we don't but we need many players as Ten Hag has sold off decent (but not great players) for some absolute shite. It's like LVG all over again.
It's starting to look that way again. Bunch of slightly above-average players that seem to be able to play under one system only. Only rated by the manager.

And eventually sold at massive losses.

I am starting to wonder how Frenkie de Jong would have fared.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This entire champions league campaign failure is down to butterfingers. Even his best moment came in the only game we won.
He’s been shocking. And I don’t know how he comes back from being such a major reason for our cL exit. It feels like no matter what, he’s always got a howler in him and you can’t have that in a United goalie. I mean the fellow isn’t able to handle the football under no pressure.

Well should replace him quickly but we wont

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

This is a hell of a lot of mistakes in 4 months. Not all of them are his fault, but I don't see how he's going to recover to become a competent keeper for United. Taking responsibility against Bayern was one thing, but it doesn't work when you keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over.

Top goalies make maybe a handful of mistakes a season only. He is way past that already, 1/3 into the season.

Maybe he needs to lose a little upper body mass to improve his reaction times. The legit way.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A club with high standards would ensure that either dropped or loaned out or sold. But I doubt that’s what we will do. This stuff is no unacceptable here and that’s part of the problem.

Waynne

Yeah now this makes him look really bad and I feel sorry for him. Must've been an amazing feeling to get a call to play for Man United but we need players who are mentally up for it. There's a good goalie in there somewhere.
Maybe he needs some strong competition to bring the best out of him?

kaku06

Vulgarian
Short memories, his saves at the weekend pretty much won us the game.
But that’s the thing, you can’t have a yo yo goalkeeper in your team. A goalkeeper who goes from good to atrocious in one match to the next at the drop of a hat.

Longlivekeano

If this was Fergie, he will have been packed off. I remember the fate of Taibi (1-2 months), Bosnich (2 years) and Barthez (2-3 years) who all looked better than Onana

Gloccamora

Never been convinced that he can be a reliable keeper. Forget all the mistakes, even when making saves he doesn't fill me with confidence. Maybe it is the weird way he tries to slap the ball back in play instead of turning it around the corner.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He’s a clown. There’s something wrong with the way he makes saves as well. He seems to punch them back into the central danger areas more often than not. It’s like he has not been taught that he should be punching them out wide.

MDFC Manager

But that’s the thing, you can’t have a yo yo goalkeeper in your team. A goalkeeper who goes from good to atrocious in one match to the next at the drop of a hat.
Exactly this. De gea even at his worst had several decent performances between howlers

ti vu

And spend again in couple of years? Would have retained Kovar lad in any capacity than signing that guy for 20.
Using a cheap stopgap for few years is not a bad plan, especially when you mentioned retaining Kovar. You don't sign a high profile experienced GK in his supposed prime and expect a young GK to sit around for handful of games per season. Nor you throw a young GK who had no experience at top level to the wolves (PL level). A cheap stop gap nothing special GK with PL experience would help persuading Kovar to stay, and maintain a healthy GK rotation plan.

You ain't guaranteed that long term elite GK talents are always available in the market. As bad and as delayed as the process to replace DDG was, there was no need to get the most hyped available GK, since fund could have been used to better improved the team. GK usually is the final piece of the puzzle, not the cornerstone of the rebuild project. Chelsea made a mistake with Kepa and somehow we didn't learn from that bad example.

Now what? Being picky and pick the trickier option: one expensive GK that if he continues to fail, it would be a huge loss in resource (for his and his replacement transfer fee, wage). The Turkish GK is another gamble since he had no PL nor lower level English football experience. Kovar wanted and got the move away.

Last edited:

r0663664

Worships Man City
Erik needs to have the balls to drop him and play another keeper. Arsenal has 2 goalkeepers because Arteta doesn't trust Ramdale so I think Erik needs to get into another keeper to compete with Onana and eventually replace him. To be honest, I have not been impressed with Onana since day 1. We are not a ball-playing side so why is Onana important? Every game, we spend 10-15% of time passing between CB and keeper instead of attacking. Since we have a "ball-playing" keeper, we spend more time passing around in defense to make use of his strength. If Heaton was in goal last night, I am sure we would win the game. That's how bad Onana is.

Ibi Dreams

Too erratic. You could forgive him if those mistakes were just one game, or if he was a young keeper coming through, but neither of those things are the case.

His passing and distribution are also not as good as they were hyped up to be. At least from what he's shown so far

Let's see how the rest of the season goes, but he's got a hell of a lot to prove