View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

rollingstoned1

Well at least he makes us play out from the back so much better or something which more than makes up for these routine clangers over a whole season. Or at least that's why we were told his arrival was necessary.

flappyjay

A few months ago he was screaming at a low confidence Maguire. How the tables have turned.

Oranges038

He's blowing it. Dave should be back in the team to challenge him.
Yeah, replace the guy you blame for getting knocked out of Europe, with the guy previously got you knocked of Europe several times. Makes sense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So on top of my head:

Bayern Away:
1) He let in a feeble attempt for 1st goal.

Galatasaray Home:
2) Gifted them a penalty with a poor pass which resulted in Casemiro being sent off as well.

3) Almost ducked to concede against Icardi for the winner.

Galatasaray Away:
4) Pool positioning and wall setting for the first goal

5) Howler for the second goal.

A single player having 5 mistakes in 3 matches and all game changing events, I may have missed one or two, please feel free to remind me.
There have been goals like v Forest where a striker ran through on goal, he barely narrowed the angle then just sort of sat on the floor and let matey do what he wanted.

Longshanks

He has had a nightmare last night and obviously the two free kicks he has to do better with. Could question positioning on the third goal aswell but it was an absolute rocket.

Do feel a little for him though with the free kicks, he has no visibility for the first one thanks to the Ref failing to apply the rules correctly with regards to attacking players proximity to defensive walls. Should still do better but that hasn't helped him. And I think he is fully expecting martial to head the second one out for the corner but at the last second he pulls out and the Onana makes a mess of it, again he should better but he hasn't been helped by martial there at all.

But forget about his handling errors for a moment by far the most infuriating thing of his performance last night and in this season In general has been his distribution, why long so often!? Last night at 2-0 up away from home in a bear pit just control game with possesion but no, balls just getting hoofed at every occasion handing a fair amount of control to the home team allowing them to build a head of steam. Is this Onana's doing or is it instruction from ETH?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Looking at this technique, you can't even hang on to the hope that he'll get over the growing pains in a new league. The guy is calamitous. One of the worse goalies I have seen play for the club.

At any other competent club, given the problems we have historically faced replacing goalies, we would have given an year extension to De Gea and signed a young and upcoming ball playing keeper who could have been eased into the league. But we go on to spend 47 or whatever million on this calamity recommended by the manager and sign a second keeper for 6m/7m who we'll never see in goal as he is not good enough. On top of that, we sold a good academy keeper for a similar amount. Tragic all around.

Son

I don’t mind Onana. Jury’s out obviously but he’s been decent in recent weeks. He’s not at De Gea’s level all round but we seriously needed to change the keeper position regardless to at least try and play more expansive football.

You can see what the plan is and not every signing works but it’s a step in the correct direction medium term I hope. Albeit an expensive step to the side for the time being…

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So on top of my head:

Bayern Away:

Galatasaray Home:
2) Gifted them a penalty with a poor pass which resulted in Casemiro being sent off as well.

Galatasaray Away:

A single player having 5 mistakes in 3 matches and all game changing events, I may have missed one or two, please feel free to remind me.
There was some game with a massive defensive mixup for the first goal, letting the ball bounce in the box...maybe have been Gaalatasary home? He was very indecisive on that, and a few other similar situations (late goals by Bayern and Arsenal) where a proactive keeper -- supposedly why we needed to remove the previous one -- would have intervened. Either to scoop/punch the ball away, or to close down the shot, (or, if you're DDG, hang back and use reflexes to save it) -- not get caught in between all these, doing nothing.
That's apart from the 1v1s and the shocker that went through him in the league.

padzilla

Hipster
De Gea was dropped in his first season did him no harm and he seemed stronger for it. Maybe the same should happen here?

kiristao

I am not goalkeeping expert but his shot stopping and ball catching technique looks very shaky. Very often the ball bounces out of his hand and he has to collect it at the second attempt when he tries to catch it. May it be in the air or a shot on the ground.
When he is trying to make a save, he seems to make more contact with his wrist than his palm so pretty much every attempt that he makes to clear a ball out, he fluffs.
His kicking also has not been the greatest and he does not seem to do the sweeper-keeper role either.
One-v-one he is really poor. He seems to just fall back on his ass when he is trying to make a save in that situation.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
De Gea was dropped in his first season did him no harm and he seemed stronger for it. Maybe the same should happen here?
De Gea was a 20 year fledgling relatively new to club football, who needed time to adjust to his new club and the league.

Onana is a 27 year old experienced goal keeper with an awful technique and a massively exaggerated ball playing ability. He looks like an oaf in any one on one situation...or when he has to make a simple stop. Where is the room for improvement here?

Jeffthered

RedCafe eh. You can't beat it. Many people should reassess their comments made about DDG last season. Some of the most dismissive comments I observed, screaming at ETH to replace him with a keeper that can play. Well, careful what you wish for, right?

We were warned about Onana. He's erratic at times, brilliant, then he just loses it. And this is how he is. Did ETH do his homework? I hope so for that fee.

I think Onana will be alright. But, but he needs coaching. Who is our Goalkeeping coach? is he working with him? Onana seems genuinely hurt by his errors, and I do like his character, he seems to want to do well and will not hide.

But the errors have to be reduced. Good keepers are consistent and this is what he needs to work on. Tweak some of his technical aspects, simplify his game and I still think we will have a top keeper. But he needs help. It's a shame because he was playing far better and settling down in the league.

I thought we treated DDG disgracefully and now look.

mk7

I am not goalkeeping expert but his shot stopping and ball catching technique looks very shaky. Very often the ball bounces out of his hand and he has to collect it at the second attempt when he tries to catch it. May it be in the air or a shot on the ground.
When he is trying to make a save, he seems to make more contact with his wrist than his palm so pretty much every attempt that he makes to clear a ball out, he fluffs.
His kicking also has not been the greatest and he does not seem to do the sweeper-keeper role either.
One-v-one he is really poor. He seems to just fall back on his ass when he is trying to make a save in that situation.
The GK technique sometimes really looks like an outfield player took over goalkeeping duties ... Always with the wrist, seldomly using two hands - really, really suspect.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s looked so much better the last month but we’re still not using him in a way that benefits us or impacts on the way we play.

Id really like to see him in a team with Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Mainoo and a new CB that can handle the ball effectively.

As or the goals tonight. Obviously he can’t keep doing that. DeGea was a great keeper truly for us but even he got to the point where the errors were so big and so common that he needed replacing. Onana needs to get the basics right and be consistent but I think there is the basis there for him to do that AND be a big part of transforming our play.

Unam333

RedCafe eh. You can't beat it. Many people should reassess their comments made about DDG last season. Some of the most dismissive comments I observed, screaming at ETH to replace him with a keeper that can play. Well, careful what you wish for, right?

We were warned about Onana. He's erratic at times, brilliant, then he just loses it. And this is how he is. Did ETH do his homework? I hope so for that fee.

I think Onana will be alright. But, but he needs coaching. Who is our Goalkeeping coach? is he working with him? Onana seems genuinely hurt by his errors, and I do like his character, he seems to want to do well and will not hide.

But the errors have to be reduced. Good keepers are consistent and this is what he needs to work on. Tweak some of his technical aspects, simplify his game and I still think we will have a top keeper. But he needs help. It's a shame because he was playing far better and settling down in the league.

It was the right decision to let him leave. In fact he should have left earlier. We just needed to replace him with a consistent ball playing shot stopper.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why does he dive in slow motion? Like the ball is already at the back of the net and I see this guy making a jump then.

big_jeffstar

I’m at the point where I think we should be looking at Ramsdale in January, this guy will cost us too many points, we can’t be scoring three in a hostile environment and then still draw due to one players constant mistakes, it’s not fair on the rest of the team, we have too many players we can’t rely on to concentrate for 90 minutes

erikcred

A few months ago he was screaming at a low confidence Maguire. How the tables have turned.
That's a good point.

But come to think of it, I've never seen a defender actually shout at a GK for an obvious mistake that leads to a goal. It's like GK confidence is a fragile flower that must be carefully nurtured whereas it's always open season on defenders.

Maybe Maguire should make an exception and let Onana have it, at least back in the dressing room.

Fahad Jawaid

Except the mistakes, his handling of shots is shocking,
There have been goals like v Forest where a striker ran through on goal, he barely narrowed the angle then just sort of sat on the floor and let matey do what he wanted.
I was actually just highlighting Champions league errors which may have costed us qualification. I have never seen a single player so instrumental and it seems like a man on a mission to eliminate manutd from champions league.

If I was not angry and just being cynical, I may think he is doing it on purpose, but I actually feel he is shit and should be replaced ASAP.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This stood out to me as a bad one as well. I know the forest player was all on his own and had ages to make his mind up, but onana basically did it for him. We were told how good he was at being a sweeper keeper, yet he’s glued to his line half the time just like de Gea was - the only difference is De Gea was great at saving one on ones!

Fahad Jawaid

There was some game with a massive defensive mixup for the first goal, letting the ball bounce in the box...maybe have been Gaalatasary home? He was very indecisive on that, and a few other similar situations (late goals by Bayern and Arsenal) where a proactive keeper -- supposedly why we needed to remove the previous one -- would have intervened. Either to scoop/punch the ball away, or to close down the shot, (or, if you're DDG, hang back and use reflexes to save it) -- not get caught in between all these, doing nothing.
That's apart from the 1v1s and the shocker that went through him in the league.
You are right about those errors, tbf I was just the highlighting the major Champions league errors.

In the league itself there has been comical errors against Arsenal (conceded in the last min at near post) Wolves (almost costed us penalty and it resulted in no referee giving us anything for another 10 Weeks) and Forest (went down and let in a feeble shot in) also against Brentford he conceded to a shot which was in the middle of the goal and trickled under him.

He has been a disaster, the quicker we let go
of him the better. We can’t afford a keeper which is extremely poor to any shots at him and the risk of any sort of short rolling under him or him parrying straight to any half decent shot is very high. You can’t build a team with a keeper who will handicap you this way.

Gordon Godot

You are right about those errors, tbf I was just the highlighting the major Champions league errors.

In the league itself there has been comical errors against Arsenal (conceded in the last min at near post) Wolves (almost costed us penalty and it resulted in no referee giving us anything for another 10 Weeks) and Forest (went down and let in a feeble shot in) also against Brentford he conceded to a shot which was in the middle of the goal and trickled under him.

He has been a disaster, the quicker we let go
of him the better. We can’t afford a keeper which is extremely poor to any shots at him and the risk of any sort of short rolling under him or him parrying straight to any half decent shot is very high. You can’t build a team with a keeper who will handicap you this way.
Said from the start he's not good enough, another terrible ETH signing and why ETH will be gone once Ratcliffe is in control. His signings have generally been woefully. Onana is technically very poor.

Mike Smalling

So on top of my head:

Bayern Away:

Galatasaray Home:

Galatasaray Away:

Looking at list, he has to take a huge part of the blame for us not playing the in Champions League knockouts. Obivously, you can deduct the late penalty save against Copenhagen, but it would still be a net negative in terms of points.

De Gea made some mistakes in his first half season as well, but the difference is he was bought at age 20, so he came with a lot less authority and could still develop his game. Onana comes in as a 27 year old established player. I don't think he can develop his game much from here, and I would be afraid that his poor goalkeeping technique is already "settled". What I don't get is, how this was not spotted by the scouts.

Paul778

Said from the start he's not good enough, another terrible ETH signing and why ETH will be gone once Ratcliffe is in control. His signings have generally been woefully. Onana is technically very poor.
It is no real excuse but he's playing behind a defence that isn't the one intended. Lindelof and Maguire (or Evans) are slow and we need to play deep.

With Varane, Martinez (or Shaw) as CB we would be playing a high line and he would be playing as a sweeper keeper, which is what we bought him for. Again, penny pinching last summer meant we didn't get Todibo - hopefully he appears in Jan.

Also, he hasn't really played with a settled back four (back six including CMs) who are in form.

With all of the above in place maybe he looks more like the quality we paid for.

Without it, the pressure overall on him could be playing on his mind. I grant you the slips yesterday were shockingly bad and pub league players should be saving but we've been saying all season that United cannot do 5 yard passes that pub players could do and they're not all bad pros.

Grasping at straws a little but trying to find a positive and hoping it's not another player we have to let go at 1/3rd of what we paid and subsidise their wages for 3 years.

Lentwood

You are proper delusion reincarnated pal. You have a downgrade in front of you eyes and you still blubber crap about DDG.
Yes I'm delusional, that's why DDG was immediately snapped up by another top club and has been proving us wrong ever since...

Oh no...wait...he's still without a club in December, because nobody, literally nobody in World football, is interested.

ti vu

Is this a trick question? ETH coached him at Ajax. From his perspective, he likely sees him as best available ball playing GK. With the hype last season, of course Inter would take us to the cleaner.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's been at fault for seven goals so far this season, with four of them being in the CL. The first two both came in 1 goal losses, and now two in a 3-3 draw. so he's definitely cost us big time in the CL.

It's still too early to write him off, but at the same time it's definitely worrying. The hope is that five of those goals came in his first eight games, then he seemed to eliminate those mistakes for almost two months before this game. So hopefully we'll look back on it as a rough start that he got over, before having a one-off bad match here before continuing his improvement again.

El Zoido

Or maybe we keep ETH but don’t let him dictate transfer policy any more.

ti vu

It is no real excuse but he's playing behind a defence that isn't the one intended. Lindelof and Maguire (or Evans) are slow and we need to play deep.

With Varane, Martinez (or Shaw) as CB we would be playing a high line and he would be playing as a sweeper keeper, which is what we bought him for. Again, penny pinching last summer meant we didn't get Todibo - hopefully he appears in Jan.

Also, he hasn't really played with a settled back four (back six including CMs) who are in form.

With all of the above in place maybe he looks more like the quality we paid for.

Without it, the pressure overall on him could be playing on his mind. I grant you the slips yesterday were shockingly bad and pub league players should be saving but we've been saying all season that United cannot do 5 yard passes that pub players could do and they're not all bad pros.

Grasping at straws a little but trying to find a positive and hoping it's not another player we have to let go at 1/3rd of what we paid and subsidise their wages for 3 years.
ETH could literally have played a defense line of AWB Varane Shaw Dalot/Reguilon. He chose to play Lindelof Maguire. It's nothing to do with penny pinching. It's having wrong priority.

What in form defenders and CM have to do with a GK making error and conceding goal from tame shots especially free kick? If the logic is GK need every outfield position to be in good shape, then perhaps it confirms that GK is the last piece of the puzzle during starting XI construction as pointed out in previous years discussion?

Gordon S

Well, careful what you wish for, right?
We all wished for an overall improvement on De Gea, and it was a perfectly fair wish.
We want to be fighting for the biggest titles every year, in order to do that we really need to find one of the best keepers around.
It seems now that the decision to bring in Onana was a major mistake.