g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Im surprised people are sticking with the lazy narrative Gary Neville, Carragher and some of the the British pundits were droning about in the 1st half.

These are the same experts who criticise our inability to build out from the back.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't springs to mind. They very clearly have it out for us, if not Onana. And our fans need to be clear minded about that.
Punditry is at a all time low and ex pros are given jobs by media outlets for their rants rather than any great insight into the game. Take Souness as a example, great player in a bygone era, but after hanging up his boots he carried on applying the same principles when coaching the game and then analysing the game on TV. And it was no surprise to see him fail as a coach because he never evolved tactically and was stuck in his ways. Gary Neville was said to be the worst coach ever hired by Valencia.

Most pundits are failed coaches and seem to be stuck in their ways. Like a mobile/cell phone that hasn't had a software update for decades.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Punditry is at a all time low and ex pros are given jobs by media outlets for their rants rather than any great insight into the game. Take Souness as a example, great player in a bygone era, but after hanging up his boots he carried on applying the same principles when coaching the game and then analysing the game on TV. And it was no surprise to see him fail as a coach because he never evolved tactically and was stuck in his ways. Gary Neville was said to be the worst coach ever hired by Valencia.

Most pundits are failed coaches and seem to be stuck in their ways. Like a mobile/cell phone that hasn't had a software update for decades.
Makes me laugh how Neville's Valencia stint somehow becomes worse every time someone brings it up. He wasn't even the worst coach Valencia had in 2016.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Makes me laugh how Neville's Valencia stint somehow becomes worse every time someone brings it up. He wasn't even the worst coach Valencia had in 2016.
It was a horrible short stint from a tactical pov. His aim to get the wide players to cross the ball into the box constantly without having a pressing structure to back that up was tactical suicide in a league that was tactically ahead of most at the time. And if I'm not mistaken, the Valencia DoF at the time described one of the games he was in charge of as the worst in the club's history.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It was a horrible short stint from a tactical pov. His aim to get the wide players to cross the ball into the box constantly without having a pressing structure to back that up was tactical suicide in a league that was tactically ahead of most at the time. And if I'm not mistaken, the Valencia DoF at the time described one of the games he was in charge of as the worst in the club's history.
Well yeah, their 10 men got stuffed by one of the best attacking sides in recent memory (MSN era Barca). I think a lot of other teams would have as well.

Neville certainly didn't show too many signs of being a particularly good manager, but how bad he was gets massively overblown. Valencia have had 9 permanent managers since, and of those only Marcelino (who has by miles the best record of that bunch) did demonstrably better. Pako Ayestaran came in straight after Neville and was immediately far worse, managing to get the boot after 12 games with them dead last in the league.

Ruben Baraja's current record looks almost exactly the same as Neville's did.

Redstain

Just watching the game was enough to see that Onana has passes and composure in his locker that was non-existent with De Gea. So eventhough we played in a compact lower block yesterday with Liverpool being the more proactive team with their actions, we only allowed them to be threatening up to a certain point and their best chance came from a set piece.

And you just have to listen to Jurgen Klopp in his post match interview where he said that this time United carried a build up threat from Onana which they had to adjust to, where as previously they (United) would just go long.
I agree, what I don't understand is even if Onana doesn't end up being good enough in the long run it doesn't vindicate the fact that De Gea wasn't good enough towards his last few years at the club. The assessments of both players are mutually exclusive.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well yeah, their 10 men got stuffed by one of the best attacking sides in recent memory (MSN era Barca). I think a lot of other teams would have as well.

Neville certainly didn't show too many signs of being a particularly good manager, but how bad he was gets massively overblown. Valencia have had 9 permanent managers since, and of those only Marcelino (who has by miles the best record of that bunch) did demonstrably better. Pako Ayestaran came in straight after Neville and was immediately far worse, managing to get the boot after 12 games with them dead last in the league.

Ruben Baraja's current record looks almost exactly the same as Neville's did.
A manager will be judged on results but he has to first have an idea about how he wants to play the game. And Gary Neville had no clue about implementing a strategy to overcome the tactical pitfalls that awaited him in La Liga because he was applying a strategy from a bygone era, it seemed. And whether that was losing against a Barcelona team with Cruyffian principles or losing to a team with a low profile coach, the point still stands that his ideas about the game were completely at odds with the competition he faced.

I don't care about what happened with Baraja or anyone else. I judged Neville on the strategy he implemented at Valencia, and he was completely out of his depth even against the low profile coaches in La Liga. And the reason for that was simply down to those low profile coaches having a clear method of play.

And the last time I listened to Neville was after the home game against Wolves this season where he was questioning what Luke Shaw was doing in midfield and he should instead be going high and wide putting crosses in.

Playing the game and teaching the game are two very different things.

lex talionis

I agree, what I don't understand is even if Onana doesn't end up being good enough in the long run it doesn't vindicate the fact that De Gea wasn't good enough towards his last few years at the club. The assessments of both players are mutually exclusive.
That's a logically true statement but in end it was a binary choice. There were some other keepers out there for the taking, such as Raya who could have been procured relatively cheaply, and Diogo Costa who would have cost us I believe 80m so for one reason or another it came down to De Gea or Onana.

The criticism of De Gea was way OTT but there was a valid basis for criticism-- we all watched him v Brentford, Sevilla and West Ham. What should have happened is that Onana was brought in as De Gea's competition to eventually succeed him. He just wasn't ready for the intensity of being a United keeper, and we didn't and don't have a squad that's suited for Onana's skills. De Gea had extensive experience in the PL and for most of his time with us was our best player by far. And even the season before last De Gea and Ronaldo were, by far, our two best players. And even last season he was the golden glove winner and no one can argue that he had nothing to do with that.

But here we are.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's a logically true statement but in end it was a binary choice. There were some other keepers out there for the taking, such as Raya who could have been procured relatively cheaply, and Diogo Costa who would have cost us I believe 80m so for one reason or another it came down to De Gea or Onana.

The criticism of De Gea was way OTT but there was a valid basis for criticism-- we all watched him v Brentford, Sevilla and West Ham. What should have happened is that Onana was brought in as De Gea's competition to eventually succeed him. He just wasn't ready for the intensity of being a United keeper, and we didn't and don't have a squad that's suited for Onana's skills. De Gea had extensive experience in the PL and for most of his time with us was our best player by far. And even the season before last De Gea and Ronaldo were, by far, our two best players. And even last season he was the golden glove winner and no one can argue that he had nothing to do with that.

But here we are.
Nonsense. If Onana is good enough to replace DDG then it was the perfect time to make a change. DDG was average to shite for most of last season with stats that were miles off the best keepers in the league. All of which proved that his golden gloves award had feck all to do with exceptional performances from him as an individual. Plus keeping him involved offering a new contract to the best paid goalkeeper in the world. Which would, obviously, be a terrible decision.

There are more keepers in the world than Raya and Costa. Including plenty who changed clubs last summer. It was absolutely the right decision to get rid of DDG and sign a new keeper. Remains to be seen if the keeper we chose to sign was the best available. Not looking like it so far but could still turn out that way.

acnumber9

Football is a team game, it was a collective effort, that's why we didn't get thumped and Onana's passing was a large part of that but not the only part
His completion rate was in the low 60’s. It was not a large part of drawing.

Cecc

Nonsense. If Onana is good enough to replace DDG then it was the perfect time to make a change. DDG was average to shite for most of last season with stats that were miles off the best keepers in the league. All of which proved that his golden gloves award had feck all to do with exceptional performances from him as an individual. Plus keeping him involved offering a new contract to the best paid goalkeeper in the world. Which would, obviously, be a terrible decision.

There are more keepers in the world than Raya and Costa. Including plenty who changed clubs last summer. It was absolutely the right decision to get rid of DDG and sign a new keeper. Remains to be seen if the keeper we chose to sign was the best available. Not looking like it so far but could still turn out that way.
I have nothing against Onana, I like him and I think he will proof to be good signing. But the amount of the disrespect De Gea gets is astonishing.
Yes he made a couple of errors, but why people forgot how many times he saved us with absolutely brilliant performances, last year included. It is not coincidence that he took golden glove. People keep talking about stats, ok but his stats was destroyed from one or two matches like the 7-0 against Liverpool for example.

People seems to be focused on couple of errors and forgot that he had so much good performances. De Gea is still fantastic GK.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed.

Onana may or may not be good enough, but you can't have a GK who is completely at odds with playing a brand of football that has become a staple at the top clubs in the league. And as good as De Gea was with his shot stopping, he was equally as bad with other attributes that are required from a GK to implement a more dominant play style in a era where rivals are developing strategies and signing players to flood the opponent's defensive third with the aim of disrupting their build up to create high turnovers. The GK is the free man in that regard and should be expected to provide the passing and composure to break the opponent's first line of pressure.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have nothing against Onana, I like him and I think he will proof to be good signing. But the amount of the disrespect De Gea gets is astonishing.
Yes he made a couple of errors, but why people forgot how many times he saved us with absolutely brilliant performances, last year included. It is not coincidence that he took golden glove. People keep talking about stats, ok but his stats was destroyed from one or two matches like the 7-0 against Liverpool for example.

People seems to be focused on couple of errors and forgot that he had so much good performances. De Gea is still fantastic GK.
It was a lot more than a couple of errors. But it was a couple of very good saves. Which a lot of ye mistook for a good season. Distribution was garbage, always slow off his line, very poor under the high ball and even his much touted shot stopping was miles below what it was back when he really was a top goalkeeper. He is absolutely not still a fantastic goalkeeper. Hence nobody is interested in signing him on a free. Because no club who can afford his wages can afford to play a keeper at the level he’s been over the last few years.

lex talionis

Absurd, to put it mildly, apart from the complaint with De Gea's wages which I completely agree with other than the implication that De Gea would have remained on 375k/week. Perhaps someday Onana will surpass De Gea but in terms of performances this season we've taken a massive step backward at the goalkeeper position-- there is no debate about that whatsoever. David De Gea, for all his faults, was never as shambolic as Onana has been this season.

As for other keepers, without question there were other options. Not that I would have gone in for him, but Pickford was there for the taking. Spurs picked up a solid keeper, at least a keeper who's more reliable than Onana, at one third the cost of Onana. Yes, there were choices other than Raya and Costa, but those two names were the ones most discussed as alternatives to Onana, which is why I mentioned them.

lex talionis

No, right. The historical record show beyond any question that Onana’s shambolism — a word the English language needs — single-handedly dumped out of the Chanpions League.

The historical also shows that despite De De Gea’s shambolic performance in the second leg against Sevilla that we nevertheless qualified for the CL with a respectable and completely unexpected third place finish in the CL.

Our keeper play is inferior this season to our keeper play last season, but I have no doubt that if given 2-3 more seasons that Onana will pull himself together and reach De Gea’s level last season. But another half season like the first half season we’ve seen from Onana and it’s doubtful that the club will tolerate risking another full season of comical keeper performances. But we’ve put up with McTominay for al least four seasons now so you never how long our patience will last. And there is the sunk cost, which cannot be retrieved, and the extremely low likelihood that we can sell Onana to another club now. So here are, another bizarre transfer decision many thanks to a manager who also brought us Antony and Mount.

CoopersDream

It was a lot more than a couple of errors. But it was a couple of very good saves. Which a lot of ye mistook for a good season. Distribution was garbage, always slow off his line, very poor under the high ball and even his much touted shot stopping was miles below what it was back when he really was a top goalkeeper.
No need to rewrite history. De Gea was generally very solid last year, had a few really bad performances that made his stats look average, but his median performance was really good. For a number of reasons we made the right choice in moving on from him, but there's still a question mark whether we found the right guy for us at this time. I do think he could be really good if we start to play in a way that brings out his best qualities, though.

Lentwood

No need to rewrite history. De Gea was generally very solid last year, had a few really bad performances that made his stats look average, but his median performance was really good. For a number of reasons we made the right choice in moving on from him, but there's still a question mark whether we found the right guy for us at this time. I do think he could be really good if we start to play in a way that brings out his best qualities, though.
No, he was absolute utter garbage. DDG was the worst goalkeeper in the Premier League, all things considered, for two/three seasons prior to us rightfully dumping him at the end of his contract.

DDG was good at one thing and one thing only towards the end of his career, and that was reacting sharply to shots at hip-height or higher, close to his body. For example, the 2nd goal Onana conceded vs Bournemouth (the Billing header), he might have saved.

Besides that the fact that nobody, absolutely nobody has touched him should tell you everything you need to know. Newcastle have lost Pope until the end of the season, Chelsea are playing Robert Sanchez in goal, Tottenham gambled on a largely unknown goalkeeper, Arsenal are flip-flopping back and forth between two struggling goalkeepers, one of whom is on loan....

The fact that none of these clubs have turned to DDG on a short term contract as a free agent should, again, tell you everything you need to know.

He can't kick, he's weak, his one vs one ability was poor, his handling was poor, his command of space was abysmal and his shot-stopping, the thing he was supposed to be good at, was poor in his final two/threw seasons.

So let's not confuse the issue. If you don't like/rate Onana, then fine, the jury is out.

Doesn't change the fact that latter-stages DDG was a flaming bag of garbage.

Pickle85

No, he was absolute utter garbage. DDG was the worst goalkeeper in the Premier League, all things considered, for two/three seasons prior to us rightfully dumping him at the end of his contract.

The fact that nobody, absolutely nobody has touched him should tell you everything you need to know. Newcastle have lost Pope until the end of the season, Chelsea are playing Robert Sanchez in goal, Tottenham gambled on a largely unknown goalkeeper, Arsenal are flip-flopping back and forth between two struggling goalkeepers, one of whom is on loan....

The fact that none of these clubs have turned to DDG on a short term contract as a free agent should, again, tell you everything you need to know.

So let's not confuse the issue. If you don't like/rate Onana, then fine, the jury is out.

Posts like this are what discredit some folks that say DdG was a poor keeper towards the end. I agree he needed to go but your bizarrely hysterical overreaction is silly. To call him the worst goalkeeper in the PL for three seasons (he won the golden gloves last year) is laughable and makes your whole post a joke. You can't stand him - fine, but don't exaggerate.

As for the 'NOBODY WANTS HIM AS A FREE AGENT' nonsense, it's been said time and again that it's more likely he's either a) not interested in short term deals, b) not interested in the clubs he's received offers from c) most can't afford him.

It was time for ddg to go, for sure, but this sort of rant makes you sound like a jilted ex. It's weird.

CoopersDream

DDG was good at one thing and one thing only towards the end of his career, and that was reacting sharply to shots at hip-height or higher, close to his body. For example, the 2nd goal Onana conceded vs Bournemouth (the Billing header), he might have saved.

Besides that the fact that nobody, absolutely nobody has touched him should tell you everything you need to know. Newcastle have lost Pope until the end of the season, Chelsea are playing Robert Sanchez in goal, Tottenham gambled on a largely unknown goalkeeper, Arsenal are flip-flopping back and forth between two struggling goalkeepers, one of whom is on loan....

He can't kick, he's weak, his one vs one ability was poor, his handling was poor, his command of space was abysmal and his shot-stopping, the thing he was supposed to be good at, was poor in his final two/threw seasons.

This is such a trainwreck of a post I do not know where to begin. DDG has not been the worst goalkeeper the past two seasons in the PL, not at all. It is absolutely not true at all.

That no top club wanted de Gea just means that no top club wanted de Gea. We all know that he isn't a top keeper anymore and certainly not for a modern footballing side. The idea that he is out of a job because no one would wants him is misguided though, few people would want to go from being number 1 in the biggest club in the world to a mid-table (or lower) club while also taking an 80% pay cut.

Oranges038

I think Onana is so great, he should get the parachute, in fact I think he should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work.

Lentwood

Posts like this are what discredit some folks that say DdG was a poor keeper towards the end. I agree he needed to go but your bizarrely hysterical overreaction is silly. To call him the worst goalkeeper in the PL for three seasons (he won the golden gloves last year) is laughable and makes your whole post a joke. You can't stand him - fine, but don't exaggerate.

As for the 'NOBODY WANTS HIM AS A FREE AGENT' nonsense, it's been said time and again that it's more likely he's either a) not interested in short term deals, b) not interested in the clubs he's received offers from c) most can't afford him.

It was time for ddg to go, for sure, but this sort of rant makes you sound like a jilted ex. It's weird.
I had no time for him, I make no bones about that. Tried to leave a couple of times and then used that to milk one final massive contract out of the club - fine, to a degree. That's on us for being stupid.

What I can't forgive is his consistently weak goalkeeping and failure to put his body on the line for the club. I have never seen a goalkeeper so frightened to get hurt in all my time watching football. He was frightened of aerial challenges, collisions with opponents and even his own goalposts by the end.

So in that respect, maybe I don't revere him like some appear to. I don't feel we owed him anything and I stand by the 'worst goalkeeper in the league'...although I might add 'starting goalkeeper' to that.

The Golden Gloves argument is meaningless, since I'm pretty sure Onana is leading this year (or bang up there) and yet he's already been written off as a hopeless clown by half this forum.

I also disagree with your interpretation of him "not being able to find a club". Of course people aren't claiming nobody at all wants him, I'm sure Wrexham would take him, for example...but that's never what we mean is it, when we're talking about footballers. By your logic, I could claim I'm only a free agent because I won't accept a short term deal and I want £50,000 per week, which prices out all non-league and semi-pro clubs. The market for a player is what it is, its almost perfect economics in the case of a free agent. If literally nobody in the World wants to make him an offer that is preferable to sitting without a club in December then either it appears that indeed nobody wants him and/or he's in a state of delusion.

I will add a footnote here, for clarity, and say that, in my opinion, he was top three in the world between about 2014 and 2018.

Pickle85

I had no time for him, I make no bones about that. Tried to leave a couple of times and then used that to milk one final massive contract out of the club - fine, to a degree. That's on us for being stupid.

What I can't forgive is his consistently weak goalkeeping and failure to put his body on the line for the club. I have never seen a goalkeeper so frightened to get hurt in all my time watching football. He was frightened of aerial challenges, collisions with opponents and even his own goalposts by the end.

So in that respect, maybe I don't revere him like some appear to. I don't feel we owed him anything and I stand by the 'worst goalkeeper in the league'...although I might add 'starting goalkeeper' to that.

The Golden Gloves argument is meaningless, since I'm pretty sure Onana is leading this year (or bang up there) and yet he's already been written off as a hopeless clown by half this forum.

I also disagree with your interpretation of him "not being able to find a club". Of course people aren't claiming nobody at all wants him, I'm sure Wrexham would take him, for example...but that's never what we mean is it, when we're talking about footballers. By your logic, I could claim I'm only a free agent because I won't accept a short term deal and I want £50,000 per week, which prices out all non-league and semi-pro clubs. The market for a player is what it is, its almost perfect economics in the case of a free agent. If literally nobody in the World wants to make him an offer that is preferable to sitting without a club in December then either it appears that indeed nobody wants him and/or he's in a state of delusion.

I will add a footnote here, for clarity, and say that, in my opinion, he was top three in the world between about 2014 and 2018.
I think discussion here is pointless as you're pretty obviously very anti ddg (by your own admission, to be fair).

The one thing I will say is that the bolded is a bit silly, let's be honest. That's not by my logic at all, given that DdG was at one time (rightly or wrongly) considered to be a top three goalkeeper and he'd just come off a season winning the golden gloves for the UK's highest profile team. With respect, you're a poster on an Internet forum with no discernible goalkeeping chops that hasn't played football at a professional level. You can probably see the difference.

Lentwood

I think discussion here is pointless as you're pretty obviously very anti ddg (by your own admission, to be fair).

The one thing I will say is that the bolded is a bit silly, let's be honest. That's not by my logic at all, given that DdG was at one time (rightly or wrongly) considered to be a top three goalkeeper and he'd just come off a season winning the golden gloves for the UK's highest profile team. With respect, you're a poster on an Internet forum with no discernible goalkeeping chops that hasn't played football at a professional level. You can probably see the difference.
That's the point though isn't it....reducing an argument to absurdity and therefore exposing the absurdity of the logic.

Take a less extreme example...imagine one of the many hundreds of League Two footballers who find themselves without a club each season.

Many of them drop out of the game, not because they literally speaking cannot find a club, but because "the clubs that can afford them don't want them and the clubs that do want them can't afford them". They could go and play for Unibond clubs (or whatever its called now) but many don't because they consider it not worth the time/effort (opportunity cost of doing that and not something else) or even just pride.

So, again, forget about how good (or not) DDG is or was because we clearly disagree on that front (and that's fine)...but I really don't accept the representation of him being jobless as being basically his choice. Its because nobody of any note wants him.

mu4c_20le

This is such a trainwreck of a post I do not know where to begin. DDG has not been the worst goalkeeper the past two seasons in the PL, not at all. It is absolutely not true at all.

That no top club wanted de Gea just means that no top club wanted de Gea. We all know that he isn't a top keeper anymore and certainly not for a modern footballing side. The idea that he is out of a job because no one would wants him is misguided though, few people would want to go from being number 1 in the biggest club in the world to a mid-table (or lower) club while also taking an 80% pay cut.
The golden gloves winner was the worst keeper in the league. Peak caf.

David De Gea

[QUOTE="RedRocket9908, post: 31460561
[/QUOTE]
I appreciate user name makes this sound odd but I really think we need to moved passed DDG and definitely stop comparing Onana to him.

This tweet is an excellent example of one of my problems with Onana. The game the other day being held up as some vindication of him. Can anyone point out a single top save he made against Liverpool? I don't mean Salah telegraphing he was putting it in the far corner or reacting to a header from a nice distance that was straight at him, a top save that you wouldn't expect every other keeper playing at that level to make?

From what I seen the other day he made a few standard saves and Liverpool 'dominance' otherwise amounted to a lot of long shots that didn't trouble the keeper. He gets praised for not chucking them in when all he's doing is the absolute basics you'd expect of a Premier league keeper.

quadrant

I appreciate user name makes this sound odd but I really think we need to moved passed DDG and definitely stop comparing Onana to him.

This tweet is an excellent example of one of my problems with Onana. The game the other day being held up as some vindication of him. Can anyone point out a single top save he made against Liverpool? I don't mean Salah telegraphing he was putting it in the far corner or reacting to a header from a nice distance that was straight at him, a top save that you wouldn't expect every other keeper playing at that level to make?

From what I seen the other day he made a few standard saves and Liverpool 'dominance' otherwise amounted to a lot of long shots that didn't trouble the keeper. He gets praised for not chucking them in when all he's doing is the absolute basics you'd expect of a Premier league keeper.
This is the problem with a lot of keeper analysis. People over-exaggerate the importance of world class saves and mistakes and underestimate the value of consistency. No, none of the shots Onana faced by themselves were difficult, but his performance overall was above average. Not because any one save was above average, but because his consistency over all 8 was above average.

RedRocket9908

The current golden glove contender is apparently a clown and one of the worst keepers ever to play for the club.
These player performance threads seem to be quite strage this season, it seems most of the people on here are more than happy to have a go at a decent keeper who has been playing well but at the same time wont have a bad word said about a £72m striker that cant score goals and struggles to even get in to the right position to score a goal.

I had to laugh at the sad Liverpool fan on RAWK who claimed that Onana was the worst keeper in the proffessional game despite him having more EPL clean sheets than anyone else and having more saves than nearly everyone else.

TheRedHearted

He hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many people make out in the league (CL is a different story of course), but not sure how they are saying he's been the best.
He saves a lot of shots, we are letting in a lot more than last year, without Casemartinez we aren’t the same.

CasaStreets

He hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many people make out in the league (CL is a different story of course), but not sure how they are saying he's been the best.
Statistically it’s probably because we have the largest positive gap between GA and xGA, which is commonly considered a metric of how many goals your goalkeeper saved that you wouldn’t have expected them to. We are (by far) in first place, conceding about 10.5 goals less than expected.

The important caveat is that xGA includes blocked shots, and our defense is tied for 3rd in total blocks. That makes it a bit tricky to figure out how much of the “over-performance” to attribute to the goalkeeper vs defenders.

Regardless, Onana’s strange shot-stopping technique and CL form is probably masking that he’s certainly performing well in the PL - at least from a shot stopping perspective.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No idea why he’s copping so much shit. No first choice centre half pairing, left backs injured, defensive midfielders not being stable.

The fella can only do so much.

He’s a properly great keeper and if we get a settled side, he’ll kick on and be one of the best keepers in Europe.

erikcred

The current golden glove contender is apparently a clown and one of the worst keepers ever to play for the club.
Almost single handedly knocking us out of the CL group stages over multiple matches in his first season is a feat that's going to be hard to match.

Only has himself to blame for all the negative attention he's getting.

antonyrightfoot

It is easy, very easy to forget how good he can be, when you have the absolute shit show of a cl campain in vivid memory.
This rating says absolutely nothing. Our defenders pass to him 50 times in a game and then he gives 5 yards passes back until the opposition press him and then he hack it long to the opposition. All those short pointless passes highly contribute to his rating. He isn’t the worst GK in EPL but to suggest he has an amazing season is laughable.

Aint gota Kalou

This whole thing about getting called up to AFCON seems really bizarre. Can anyone shed a bit more light on it?