View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sgreddevil

Barthez is superior to this guy in every respect.
I think that is an insult to Barthez for comparing to him. Barthez has excellent shot stopping ability but he is just too eccentric and gave away weird goals. We need a stable all around GK to succeed. Someone in the mould of Van Der Sar which is really the gold standard for that. We don't need a GK to save worldies once a while but prone to mistakes. Just need the GK to save all basic to decents shots 99% of the time and give the team a chance to fight for a win.

RedDevilQuebecois

He puts on a front to pretend to be confident but he is not. Psychologically he is struggling, he is mentally not cut out for the PL. He may improve his GK skills but I don’t think he is mentally cut out for it. He will go in next 1-2 seasons.
Give me a different manager and Onana will be discarded a hell lot faster than what Pep did to Claudio Bravo. I just don't understand how nor why Ten Hag has never held a grudge against Onana for that epic collapse against Tottenham in 2019.

sammyhol

I know it’s been said before, but 90% of his howlers are when the ball is hit along the ground, especially when closer to him.

The Schmeichal interview about his technique for diving was absolutely bang on. Diving up and over the ball, rather than low and along the ground.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Pretty much a defences job as well, no? Neither is solely responsible for them.

Most posters in here manage to criticise where it's due, and then you have people like yourself who are in here every time we concede a goal calling him rubbish. It's like you all need him to be bad. It's one of the weirdest obsessions I've seen on here and this site has had Amadeus!
Thing is, most of the goals he concedes are either goals he should be saving ( poor positioning/slow reactions/that weird one where he sat down before he tried to dive) or are goals he has directly made a mistake for.
Id love him to come good and prove me wrong, but at the moment he simply isn’t very good. He has been a huge downgrade from DDG.
And clearly I’m not the only one.

Manncunian

Thing is, most of the goals he concedes are either goals he should be saving ( poor positioning/slow reactions/that weird one where he sat down before he tried to dive) or are goals he has directly made a mistake for.
Id love him to come good and prove me wrong, but at the moment he simply isn’t very good. He has been a huge downgrade from DDG.
Stonking understatement.

Name a worse keeper in the entirety of the EFL.

Moomalade74

We really needed to give Bayindir those two games against Wigan and Spurs to see if he's at least a viable option as right now benching Onana is imperitive if we are to have any chance of European football next season.
I would be asking the scouts to identify some GK loan options if we can't afford a permanent signing while the window is still open. Just a basic competent average keeper would be a big improvement.

Unam333

We really needed to give Bayindir those two games against Wigan and Spurs to see if he's at least a viable option as right now benching Onana is imperitive if we are to have any chance of European football next season.
I would be asking the scouts to identify some GK loan options if we can't afford a permanent signing while the window is still open. Just a basic competent average keeper would be a big improvement.

I would definitely give Bayindir a chance. I think it's better for Onana to get him out of the line of fire (for now), build up his confidence and do the basics right in practice, just like SAF did with De Gea by replacing him with Lindegaard.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And clearly I’m not the only one.
That's not even remotely close to being true.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
That's not even remotely close to being true.
Are you related to Andre?! He’s been poor, and you trying to argue otherwise is bizarre and a weird hill to die on.
Unless we see a huge improvement from him, I’ll not be convinced he is decent and you seem to think he’s the best thing since sliced bread. At this stage I think we agree to disagree and move on. ;)

Castia

He’s having a bad season. Probs the worst form of his career?
He's had numerous spells like this. Has last period at Ajax before the move to Inter was apparently hilarious.

Typical United signed him because Inter made the CL final. He was available for free 12 months before and we had zero interest. He only played 20 odd games at Inter as well.

Bang average player for his entire career I said that before we signed him and I was hounded out of this thread

RedRocket9908

I wish people would stop with this constant hate against Onana and give him a chance, in just 5 months he has already bettered a few of DDG's records from the whole of last season and has the 2nd most clean sheets in the Premier League while playing with no real defence or midfield.

Last season with a proper defence in front of he was highly rated and performed much better while reaching the UCL final with more clean sheets that any other goalkeeper.

People are now saying we should have signed Costa instead but I doubt Costa would have done any better for us and would probably have ended up with the same hate on here.

He was available for free 12 months before and we had zero interest. He only played 20 odd games at Inter as well.
He wasnt available to us for free 12 months before, he probably would have been one of Erik's first signings if he was.

erikcred

Give me a different manager and Onana will be discarded a hell lot faster than what Pep did to Claudio Bravo. I just don't understand how nor why Ten Hag has never held a grudge against Onana for that epic collapse against Tottenham in 2019.

If you watched that game you'll know that Ajax had so many chances to see the game out. I don't even mean scoring another goal, they just had to keep the ball rather than bombing forward at every opportunity late in the game.

If anything, that match showed ETH's inability to manage leads rather than a 23-year old Onana's nerves playing for the first time in a CL semi.

A big chunk of ETH's reputation is built on that CL run and with the way we keep surrendering leads, it looks like ETH hasn't improved much in the last 5 years either.

RedRocket9908

Whoever we signed would probably just end up with the same unfair hate and critism that Onana has had for the last 5 months unless it was De Gea we signed of course.

If Bayinder had have played against Wigan and/or Spurs his thread would probably be full of the same critisism as this one.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are you related to Andre?! He’s been poor, and you trying to argue otherwise is bizarre and a weird hill to die on.
Unless we see a huge improvement from him, I’ll not be convinced he is decent and you seem to think he’s the best thing since sliced bread. At this stage I think we agree to disagree and move on. ;)
Yes, that's the obvious conclusion to me pointing out the exaggerated criticism in this thread. :lol:

Agreed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
De Gea at the start was very mediocre but never this bad. For sure, the absolute worst in recent years.
Dave made howlers but his reflexes were never in question.
Onana looks slow. I hope it's a confidence thing beciase otherwise, it's another 50m down the drain.

niima

Supports
United
He has just climbed another mountain top.He will come back very soon

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Dave made howlers but his reflexes were never in question.
Onana looks slow. I hope it's a confidence thing beciase otherwise, it's another 50m down the drain.
Yeah, De Gea's issues were dealing with crosses and imposing himself physically. I can't remember his shot stopping being an issue until later years.

El Jefe

How can your defence have any confidence in this guy? They’re probably a bag of nerves thinking just about any shot can go in.
That’s the most important thing the stats don’t show.

RedRocket9908

How can your defence have any confidence in this guy? They’re probably a bag of nerves thinking just about any shot can go in.
We dont actually have a defence, thats the problem.

90% of the goals we conceed arnt Onana's fault they are the fault of our none existant defence and any goalkeeper would have really struggled in the team we've had so far this season.

Dean Henderson let in 5 goals today against Arsenal yet hilariously there are people who think we should have kept him instead of signing Onana.

Oranges038

Sent one of them to Palace. Funnily enough his stint between the sticks is probably the most solid Utd have been defensively for years, it was the first time average goals conceded per game dropped below 1 for years, on average more clean sheets, more wins, less goals conceded.

Kostov

I wish people would stop with this constant hate against Onana and give him a chance, in just 5 months he has already bettered a few of DDG's records from the whole of last season and has the 2nd most clean sheets in the Premier League while playing with no real defence or midfield.

Last season with a proper defence in front of he was highly rated and performed much better while reaching the UCL final with more clean sheets that any other goalkeeper.

People are now saying we should have signed Costa instead but I doubt Costa would have done any better for us and would probably have ended up with the same hate on here.

He wasnt available to us for free 12 months before, he probably would have been one of Erik's first signings if he was.
You have to give them some credit too, all of them in different combinations have been playing with Andre Onana in goal also. At least he has been consistently shit.

RedRocket9908

You have to give them some credit too, all of them in different combinations have been playing with Andre Onana in goal also. At least he has been consistently shit.
He hasnt been consistantly shit though, this anti-Onana agenda thats mainly being pushed by DDG fans is ridiculous

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

90% of the goals we conceed arnt Onana's fault they are the fault of our none existant defence and any goalkeeper would have really struggled in the team we've had so far this season.

Dean Henderson let in 5 goals today against Arsenal yet hilariously there are people who think we should have kept him instead of signing Onana.
And this post is just crap if you think he’s only been at fault or crap for 10% of our goals conceded. And Henderson letting in five means nothing in defence of our actual keeper

RedRocket9908

It’s not an agenda, and it’s being said by people with eyes, not ddg fans
It is an agenda, he is being immeadiatly blamed for every goal we conceed even when it wasnt his fault.

As ive said previously no Goalkeeper would have suceeded at Old Trafford this season with our non-existant defence in front of them.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's had moments of ok form (nothing outstanding or eye catching) and also had some absolute howlers that have cost the team dearly.

So far, he's been a poor signing. Vicario for example has been a much better signing for Tottenham.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
De Gea at the start was very mediocre but never this bad. For sure, the absolute worst in recent years.
Stop banging this drum, De Gea was a kid, not a seasoned international with ECL experience.

We had a defence at the start of the season before the injuries set in, and Onana was crap then.
90% of the goals he concedes are due to his poor positioning, being rooted to his line, and not being able to dive. you can tell when he's cocked up, because he knows it himself, he just sits on his arse and pulls his socks up, when they don't need pulling up.
As for Henderson, who gives a crap, he doesn't play for us.

RedRocket9908

We had a defence at the start of the season before the injuries set in, and Onana was crap then.
90% of the goals he concedes are due to his poor positioning, being rooted to his line, and not being able to dive. you can tell when he's cocked up, because he knows it himself, he just sits on his arse and pulls his socks up, when they don't need pulling up.
We havent had a defence all season, we started the season with Martinez playing in defence while still injured and needing injections to get through games.

As I said 90% of the goals we conceed are due to having no real defence in front of him, he has made some mistakes but mostly from shots he only had to face because the embarrasment of a defence in front of him didnt do their jobs.

mu4c_20le

Yeah I remember his biggest weakness was going up for high balls and getting banged up and dropping them sometimes. Standards were ridiculously high back then so it was noticeable. This is more like Taibi. He should've been binned long ago, now he's turning a meme like Harry Maguire and it's not good for both player or club.

It’s not an agenda, and it’s being said by people with eyes, not ddg fans
If you listen to our fans in performance threads all our players are shit. The only ones that aren't are the kids, they are usually billed as the next Messi (until they play a few games). The only regular I can think of who gets majority praise is Garnacho.

Those players have often shown much more at previous clubs than they do for us, which tells you something. Onana is better than both our fans think and than he is showing in our mess of a team. We need to sort ourselves out before we can properly judge him.

lex talionis

Genuinely confused as to how you watched the game vs Spurs and came out thinking "y'know, this game proves we should replace Onana". Was this the game that made you realise that he isn't going to transform our attack?
You’re confused because your attempt at a strawman argument exposes you, not me. I never wrote that Zonana’s performance v Spurs proved or disproved anything.

By everyone’s account, even those of his diehard supporters, Onana has not performed anywhere near what was expected. Starting with preseason he looked a shambles but it was early days. He has struggled all season, particularly in the CL, and he was struggling before the Spurs match, when his performance was on par with his performances most of the season so far.

I actually defended Onana here from the accusation that the Richarlison goal was all Onana’s. My accusation here is that Onana should have done better on the Betancur goal. Beyond that, I have been in arguing that if given another season to settle into the demands of playing for United and if given better coaching that Onana could become a decent keeper.

As for the transformation argument, you really don’t want to open that can of worms. Suffice it to say that the notion that Onana could have ever transformed our attack was mind bogglingly moronic in the first place.

Quite the opposite of what you claim I claimed.