Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You need to look that goal from different angle. Dave was at the edge of the box when Salah started his run and then he backed on six yard box when James closed down Salah and pushed him to the left.
Who gives a shit where the keeper is standing when the striker is 40 yards away from the goal? All that matters is where they choose to engage and in both those clips the keeper is on the edge of the six box when the striker is entering the box and getting ready to shoot.

I think the reason they do this is because in both examples there’s a defender trying to get a tackle in, so they’re hoping that might cause a loose ball for them to pounce on. Personally, I prefer a keeper who takes more of an initiative and tries to dominate the situation but your implication that DDG would have behaved any differently is fecking dumb. DDG was notorious for dealing with 1v1s very deep. Often inside his six yard box.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not going to be firm on my opinion of him, but so far I dont feel the transformation so many here were talking about.
It was very noticeable v Spurs. And then non-existant today.

I'd suggest that gives us the clue to give it time. Rather than 3 games.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Who gives a shit where the keeper is standing when the striker is 40 yards away from the goal? All that matters is where they choose to engage and in both those clips the keeper is on the edge of the six box when the striker is entering the box and getting ready to shoot.

I think the reason they do this is because in both examples there’s a defender trying to get a tackle in, so they’re hoping that might cause a loose ball for them to pounce on. Personally, I prefer a keeper who takes more of an initiative and tries to dominate the situation but your implication that DDG would have behaved any differently is fecking dumb. DDG was notorious for dealing with 1v1s very deep. Often inside his six yard box.
Yeah, we disagree on this. Dave had a shit load of flaws (and that is why he is replaced) but one on one situations were his stronger side. Especially timing and positioning in those situations.

Pogue Mahone

Agreed but Onana didn't cover himself in glory. It was no howler, just not great.

The second half one bothered me far more.
Same. There was no excuse for not coming out in that one. He was favourite to get to the ball first. Him and Lindelof need to have a chat about that one. I’m sure they will.

All in all, he had a game to forget. No idea why but hopefully onwards and upwards from here. I think he did quite well with the Elanga cross. Woods didn’t fancy it at all when Onana came out to block his shot. That’s the sort of bravery we signed him to bring to the team.

crossy1686

career ending
Agreed but Onana didn't cover himself in glory. It was no howler, just not great.

The second half one bothered me far more.
Yeah exactly, I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he's a bad keeper, some people still have a hard on for Dave it seems. He made a very good close range reaction save when we were under the cosh during the second half. He's decent enough but ideally you don't want him putting out fires, you want him near the half way line as a passing option, that's what he's best at.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah, we disagree on this. Dave had a shit load of flaws (and that is why he is replaced) but one on one situations were his stronger side. Especially timing and positioning in those situations.
When he was at his best a few years ago he was good at 1v1s, I agree. The ultimate example was when we beat Arsenal despite conceding a zillion shots on goal.

He definitely lost his mojo in those scenarios more recently. Seemed to meet the striker deeper and deeper. With inevitable results.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Twice today he was De Gea like, should’ve came off his line to clear up behind the defence and didn’t move. First goal and then at the start of the second half when Forest got behind the defence. Even AWB was thinking it’s alright the keeper has it, no where to be seen.

Crashoutcassius

The second goal? You mean the first, right? And you don’t need to imagine it. Just read the thread.
No the header for the corner is the kind of situation where people would say ddg was making a basic positioning error.

The first goal is just a fiasco but I don't think it's a situation that comes up too often

Pogue Mahone

No the header for the corner is the kind of situation where people would say ddg was making a basic positioning error.

The first goal is just a fiasco but I don't think it's a situation that comes up too often
Only eejits. It’s the floaty ones landing right under the crossbar that you want your keeper to deal with (and DDG often didn’t) The cross for our second never even entered the six yard box. Onan was standing more or less dead centre, on his line. Perfect position.

city-puma

He is not. Those great in one on one situations are players like Allison and Martinez who are proactive and come out early. For Onana, I want to watch more to know. He is not issue today. Don’t know why people are debating here.

Oranges038

He was poor for the goal.

But I just saw Ramsdale for the Fulham goal. It's possibly worse and you won't hear much about it.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Only eejits. It’s the floaty ones landing right under the crossbar that you want your keeper to deal with (and DDG often didn’t) The cross for our second never even entered the six yard box. Onan was standing more or less dead centre, on his line. Perfect position.
Yet how many goals did we concede over the years, where fans felt it should have been approached more aggressively were it not de Gea in goal?

always_hoping

For the 2nd goal should United not have defender on the line? conceding those type of goals has happened too often with Degea and now getting repeated under Onana.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Dunno what he was doing for Forests opener. Why on earth did he jump backwards onto his bum before diving to the side? Bizarre.
I think DDG gets a foot or a hand to it and saves the goal to be fair.

The second goal was all about our defence being switched off so I don’t really attribute blame to him for it at all.

He’s clearly a very decent keeper, and will likely shine later in the season when the team clicks in front of him.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Can only assume you’ve never played football. He was sat down by a fake shot. It happens. Probably could have done better but nothing particularly heinous.
Oh geez, so now only professional footballers can comment on hilarious bits of play?

Hilarious ≠ heinous - I said it was hilarious, and it was, you can try and justify it all you want, but it wasn't that big a fake shot.

I genuinely wasn't expecting him to save it, one on one rarely end well for the 'keeper, the goal was solely on the defensive players in that instance.

prateik

Just saw the replay for the first goal.. Rashford got back enough to affect the shot.. and after just sitting down, Onana still should've saved it.

Comical goal.. so avoidable.
Lets hope he isnt this bad at 1 on 1s .

Marcus

Was Onana over-correcting/instructed to today? Seems like against Forest, he didn't want to sweep as much.

Red-17

I’m not sure I really understand the fuss on the first goal. The striker dummied the shot and made him dive. It looked funny but I didn’t think it was a howler or anything.
Also banking on Rashford, the fastest player in our squad, potentially being able to catch him and intervene (which he nearly did) is by far the preferred option than any 1v1 he would initiate by charging off his line earlier.

Alcio77

It was exactly like this at Inter throughout the entirety of the last season. Great passing ability, persistent indecision in almost all the games, more mistakes than great saves and quite a few communication issues with fellow defenders. You can talk to some Inter fans and ask if they have never felt safe with Onana in the goal.
I have already written. As much as he is good in the distribution, he is an average goalkeeper for whom we irrationally overpaid

Robaldo

I didn't think the goalkeeping from the Awoniyi shot was that bad from him, it was just good feinting.

What was more questionable was him not being off his line to intercept the pass beforehand; I don't know if it's instruction or him being once bitten twice shy from the Lens goal in pre-season. I think there was a Forest chance in the second half where he should have been well out from his line too.

He's just started and hasn't been bad so far; just needs to build certainty around himself.

FerociousCorgis

Think he started well this season but today he looked like having an incredibly shit game. Scared to come out a couple of times and hardly saw any good passing from him. Oh well shit happens

Andersonson

If he was named David de Gea this thread would be twice as long.

Neither of them should be blamed, but go figure

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Weird that he’s getting criticised. First goal is a literal one on one with the gk. A striker should be scoring that pretty much all the time. Second one the defence let him down.

JB7

I see how this is going to go.

Anytime anyone criticises a mistake he makes will automatically be reduced to someone that can't get over DDG instead of treating the mistake (or good play) on its own merits.
Not at all. My post was in relation to the one on one goal, which I don’t consider to be an error as he was sat down by a good piece of play from the striker. As others have said, if people were up in arms about him staying on his line during the second half I’d be right there with them because that part was incredibly concerning.

lysglimt

Scout
Weird that he’s getting criticised. First goal is a literal one on one with the gk. A striker should be scoring that pretty much all the time. Second one the defence let him down.
Weird he is getting criticised ? He is going down before the striker strikes the ball - all the striker had to do was roll the ball past him. If he was standing up he would have had a good chance of saving. I am not saying Forest wouldn't have scored anyway - they might have, but his action in that situation guaranteed a Forest-goal.

He might be very good with the ball at his feet, but what he has shown as a goalkeeper in his first 3 games leaves a lot to be desired. He needs to save the ball once in a while as well, not just being able to pass tha ball.

RedOrange

I see how this is going to go.

Anytime anyone criticises a mistake he makes will automatically be reduced to someone that can't get over DDG instead of treating the mistake (or good play) on its own merits.
There are also Ole revanchists who want EtH to fail and thus insist that all of the signings since he was hired have been failures.

Longshanks

I think he should of been high enough to sweep the first goal from the strikers first touch also concerned by the one he didn't sweep in the second half aswell. If we are going to play high we need him high and willing to sweep. Hopefully just teething issues.

Once he has decided he's not sweeping the first one, he dosent exactly cover himself in glory but it's not an error as of such, he just gets done by the striker. It's good from Awoniyi in fairness see so many strikers just put there foot through it in similar situations but he keeps his calms holds Rashford off and sits the keeper down. Good finishing. Looks ugly from Onana but he just gets done by some good forward play.

Second goal nothing he could do, it's not there to claim just hits boly and drops into the bottom corner. It's the defending that's more concerning for that one.

Overall not his best day at the office and I am a little worried by the reluctance to sweep, hopefully it's just teething issue like I said.

Chief123

I mean, the pure hilarity of it. I wasn't expectin him to save it, but I've never seen a keeper flop like that.
He was rooted to the spot. The free kick came off the defenders head from 2 yards out. Keeper had no chance.