g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

sillwuka

I think with Onana I expected -

Distribution and mentality - World class
Shot stopping - Average
Aerial ability/decision making - Good

It seems to be what we are getting.

lex talionis

Poor performance overall, but it’s early days and the pressure to perform at OT is unreal. He needs time.

There is no chemistry with his back line yet, which will also take time. We’ll continue to concede stupid goals fior a while. as we have the last two games

Donut

The nosweeping was very disappointing to see, I thought that was his forte.

saivet

I didn't think the goalkeeping from the Awoniyi shot was that bad from him, it was just good feinting.
I disagree, I thought Awoniyi looked a bit unsure of himself and his 'feint' was so subtle, I'm not sure it was intentional, let alone something that should drop our keeper. He was under a bit of pressure and his finish was scuffed and weak too. For me, it wasn't a howler from Onana but bad keeping as he made it way too easy.

mu4c_20le

He seems to be what I call an 'entertaining' goalkeeper.
Never a dull moment that's for sure.

I can kind of see why he hesitated if he thought Rashy was going to make the tackle. But still he should've rushed out and take them both out than retreated like that, made him look daft.

ArmaDino

Never a dull moment that's for sure.

I can kind of see why he hesitated if he thought Rashy was going to make the tackle. But still he should've rushed out and take them both out than retreated like that, made him look daft.
It's called pressure mate. A lot of new players who see comfortable go through a phase where they seem daft when moving to bigger clubs.

In his case I imagine that Lens goal must still be stuck in his head.

RedUnited86

He's been called up to the national team.

I guess he's going to AFCON after all.

Last edited:

NotQuiteManc

Oh, that's right. I forgot that he retired from the national team because of dispute or something. I saw the news earlier, and I thought it was pretty standard news. That one didn't have Onana being "retired" part.

pascell

De Gea got regular pelters for sticking to his line when crosses and corners were coming in, thus guys the exact same. His shot stopping is questionable too.

Idxomer

Improved our possession game plenty but should've got a stronger hand on that shot even with the deflection.

acnumber9

Don’t see the promised improvements. Every bit as passive as De Gea, a non entity in one on one’s. Better passer for sure. Not sure it gives the net benefit people promised.

NK86

In what world was he not in our top 3 players today?
He was not the worst but he did nothing to write home about. All his long passes were absolutely crap. Yes his short passes were fine but is that all he's supposed to bring to the team when we are still a counter attacking unit?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yeah so far I am pretty underwhelmed. I would not have a problem with his performance but I am still wondering why we spent so much for that position.

Erics_Collar

Just because he's capable enough to receive the ball and make run of the mill passes to whatever defender is unmarked?

I wish he were a better and more assured shot stopper. He doesn't seem better in that regard than any average PL keeper I've seen.

NK86

Don’t see the promised improvements. Every bit as passive as De Gea, a non entity in one on one’s. Better passer for sure. Not sure it gives the net benefit people promised.
Even his passing is fine when it's short. His long passes are garbage so far. When you see the likes of Ederson or Allison, their long passes are also so accurate. Onana is not a patch on them unfortunately.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
I have a big respect for Man United. Just I think, given your current state, even Buffon or Schmeichel (Peter) would look bad in this team. You needed to change a lot more than just the goalkeeper.

Sylar

Just because he's capable enough to receive the ball and make run of the mill passes to whatever defender is unmarked?

I wish he were a better and more assured shot stopper. He doesn't seem better in that regard than any average PL keeper I've seen.
Like who?

RVN1991

Thought he did fine today, his shot stopping isn't at the level of 2016 De Gea but he wasn't really at fault for much and his passing was still good.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What? Because he gave some nices passes to defenders? Arsenal had 5 shots on target. One was Odegaard's weak shot, one was Saka's save and 3 were goals. How the feck he can be in top 3 players today?

El Zoido

I’m happy with him. It’s really hard to stand out when you’re called in to action so much, he would be amazing at City where they have a team full of players that can dominate the game at the back. De Gea was the perfect gk for us since we spend most games getting ran through so he had the opportunity to make a bunch of miracle saves. Can’t fault Onana for the goals, the second one took a huge deflection and he did well to even get near it to be honest.

marktan

Harsh to judge for any of those goals, not many keepers save those. People shouldn't get used to De Gea's cat like reflexes as the standard because that's an outlier not the norm.

ItDoesntEvenMata

It's very easy to compare and say Dave would have saved those and it be apples and oranges but for that second goal it's criminal.

The passing the ball out from the back is really nice but it's all to Lindelof and Martinez with no real punchy substance. So that side of his game will be limited when having players like Maguire and Evans to pass out too - by the time they were on, he's a lame duck because the passing is irrelevant and his shot stopping is sub-par

izec

Not sure why ETH bought him when we are camped in our half. Makes no sense to me, should have gone for a world class shot stopper.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
I’m happy with him. It’s really hard to stand out when you’re called in to action so much, he would be amazing at City where they have a team full of players that can dominate the game at the back. De Gea was the perfect gk for us since we spend most games getting ran through so he had the opportunity to make a bunch of miracle saves. Can’t fault Onana for the goals, the second one took a huge deflection and he did well to even get near it to be honest.
This.

As good as he can be with his feet, he cannot magically create free players to pass the ball to if there are none. If the rest of the team is nothing special, not even someone twice as good as Paul Scholes in long passes would be able to offer chances from the GK position.

lex talionis

It’s very, very early days, but Onana has yet to demonstrate that he’s a massive upgrade on De Gea.