g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AnotherLondonManc

Glad Onana saved that pen, but was a pretty unconvincing save as far as they go. Nearly went through his arms! Still not convinced he's a half decent shot stopper.
wouldn't feel like home if there wasn't at least some negativity.

Last edited:

Hopefully that's the confidence boost he needs to start playing his own game.

AdNani

Huge huge moment for him, made a fantastic save earlier as well.

one thing I have noticed is he’s playing long a lot, wonder if it’s been a confidence thing or instruction, we know he’s quality on the ball so it’s strange.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happy for him. I hope this gives him a lot of confidence.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Chuffed for him. Hopefully this kickstarts his United career. God knows we'll need him on Sunday.

Would be nice if the "worse than Taibi" brigade would take a breath before going in quite as hard on a new signing who's had a couple of bad games in future, but it's unlikely. Probably calling Mount worse than Bebe in his thread as we speak.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Huge huge moment for him, made a fantastic save earlier as well.

one thing I have noticed is he’s playing long a lot, wonder if it’s been a confidence thing or instruction, we know he’s quality on the ball so it’s strange.
It seems he's instructed to go direct hence McTominay is playing further forward. EtH doesn't seem to trust certain players in the build up phase which is understandable due to certain players not being comfortable in confined spaces in the first phase of the build up. And as long as we carry on playing in such a way, McTominay as the most advanced midfielder will be an option.

georgipep

It seems he's instructed to go direct hence McTominay is playing further forward. EtH doesn't seem to trust certain players in the build up phase which is understandable due to certain players not being comfortable in confined spaces in the first phase of the build up. And as long as we carry on playing in such a way, McTominay as the most advanced midfielder will be an option.
What I wonder more is why is he playing so deep. No sweeping, not even when we are camped in the opposition half. This just invites pressure on the CBs.

RedOrange

Having Varane and Maguire as the centre back pairing kind of rules out playing from the back as well. I bet things change a bit if/when Shaw and Martinez get back, although it sounds like that'll be in January or February.

Irwin99

Decent game besides the penalty save in fairness. Kicking isn't quite as good as it was earlier in pre-season and especially against Arsenal but i think that's probably a confidence thing.

Hopefully this is the turning point for him. The celebrations with the players was really nice to see :D

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What I wonder more is why is he playing so deep. No sweeping, not even when we are camped in the opposition half. This just invites pressure on the CBs.
You're correct I've noticed that myself. But the surprising thing is that at Ajax I saw him sweep up often, even in the Champions league.

JediSith

He’s been building up to a match winning moment for a while now. Has steadily improved over our past 2-3 matches and today was very good even before winning us the match.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Having Varane and Maguire as the centre back pairing kind of rules out playing from the back as well. I bet things change a bit if/when Shaw and Martinez get back, although it sounds like that'll be in January or February.
Agreed mate.

Shaw and Martinez are two of our best players in the build up phase. Their ability to progress the play under pressure is really good. I think we have a problem without those two players because we've lost a lot of ball progression with both players being out injured.

thepolice123

Have a feeling he was going to save it. He was very solid throughout the game. Pinged a few long passes directly to our forwards too.

zapp

That was a standard Onana performance in a United shirt. There was a few moments of De Gea-like long passing sailing straight out of touch including one moment where he is under no pressure, although in fairness struggling ro find a passing option besides the CBs, holds onto it for ages and then plays a shite pass. Biggest difference is he made some saves including the huge save at the end. I hope that helps his confidence and really kickstarts his United career.

Lost bear

You're correct I've noticed that myself. But the surprising thing is that at Ajax I saw him sweep up often, even in the Champions league.
His sweeping is likely a casualty of the slowness of our defence, especially centre backs, at the moment. Should change when other defenders come back from injury.

Ole'sattheWheel

Hopefully kicks on from here after that. There's a good goalie in there, and made a great save earlier on too