Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He does play it though against elite opposition, surely he sees Ederson and Allison.
Sure, but then maybe it seems like they are just more dominant sides in general who play that type of football.

Trex

For those making comparisons with De gea I'll compare it with a team switching from Lukaku to Gabriel Jesus. Will you be holding Jesus to Lukaku's higher scoring rate or will you be assessing Jesus overall influence in the teams general play. Will Jesus be a success to you only if he scores as much or even more than Lukaku as well as the pressing, link up play and fluidity he brings to the team. Or could he score slightly less and bring this qualities and you'll see it as a success too.

Trex

Sure, but then maybe it seems like they are just more dominant sides in general who play that type of football.
And those keepers are an important factor in this dominance, he is no fool he knows the demands of the modern game. He is just not good at it. And not everyone is comfortable trying out things outside their comfort zone.
United previous managers never demanded he did and at this stage might find it difficult learning new things as a goalkeeper.

leFiestyOne

he is game changing :

Last season, we struggled versus teams that applied high press resulting in
1. Hoof balls -> Low possession, risk of losing balls in dangerous situations.
2. Very slow transitions making us less dangerous and more predictable.

all this is gone with Onana.

Oranges038

It will take me probably half a season to stop panicking when he is on the ball with oppoonents closing him down after 10 years of hoofball; but it is so effective when we play out.
I think it will get to the stage where most teams won't even bother to press him, because of the fear of him bypassing it so easily. Like Man City in the CL final, even they stood off him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Very impressive debut, it’s clear he will completely transform the way we play out from the back and by virtue, the way in which we keep possession through the team. Very excited, transformative signing.

Kostov

Both goals would feature on those De Gea videos, just saying. Lobbed for first one and didn't claim second.

Nah, I remember De Gea got discredited for a great save from a finish 5 yards out because he was supposed to have claimed it. Need to hold Onana to that same standard.
The thing is, Onana is now here and here to stay, we need to support him because we all want him to succeed actually, so no point of doing what some hypocrites did when DDG was here.

First goal is bad, and I think will happen often but the 2nd goal he can do nothing about it. Couple of good saves too.

CallyRed

Needs to be a thread for every goal conceded asking "Would Dave had saved".

L1nk

This season is going to be so insufferable everytime we concede and people cry about De Gea.

Absolutely loved him last night

Cantonalegod

Great to watch, he revolutionised our play!

We out possessed Madrid, which is a achievement in itself, but with no cutting edge.

First goal was a nightmare for him though.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I rate and miss DDG but realise it is time to move on.

Enjoying watching the highlights of Onana offering for the ball and his weight of pass, that zip into the player is great.

Oranges038

Great to watch, he revolutionised our play!

We out possessed Madrid, which is a achievement in itself, but with no cutting edge.

First goal was a nightmare for him though.
I dunno, I've watched it a few times. He came out for the ball as is his style, but Martinez almost ran right into him and he had to kind of pull back to get out of his way.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Hes going to make some errors and get caught out from time to time. He will be entertaining thats for sure. I like his style though. barthez really was a keeper in the wrong era.
I bet Onana loves playing 5-a-sides.

Remember Barthez playing upfield once in a pre-season? :lol: :lol:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
100% at fault for the first goal, second goal was a great finish

Decent enough but hopefully his decision making gets better the more he plays with Varane and Martinez.

RuudTom83

His no fecks given to the opposition is amazing, and his passing was a joy to watch.

But he wears a United shirt now so the criticism will be over the top every time he concedes a goal.

Big Andy

Bloke

Already starting
These are the same sites that were crowing about Wrexham beating United the other day, with no context whatsoever. They know that United will generate clicks and views and that sweet sweet ad revenue. They know that United fans will engage to say "It was the academy kids, you fecking nobheads" and they know that opposition fans will engage to say "Penchester Ushited are a dead club".

It's everything that is wrong with the current state of "journalism", and has been for a while now. Clickbait and engagement driven bollocks.

Pronewbie

Peep
I made a point in another thread but will repeat here. I believe Martinez will take the "playmaker" role in the team this season. This is why Onana is key - his job will be to bypass the first pressing wave so that Licha gets the ball in space and can progress it forward. The way Onana positions himself in front of the box also pushes the back line higher, what means Martinez can effectively take central position like deep lying playmaker does. This is a mitigation strategy as we are not getting De Jong type of a player in midfield (also, Mount doesn't seem involved in the build up at all so far, early days but not unexpected I guess).

He's fun to watch that's for sure. I know he was supposed to be good on the ball but the way he passes and sprints to make himself available to receive a pass again is very refreshing to see.
Yes it was obvious how the defenders all had an extra man and second to pick a pass. They could also play higher up the pitch with more confidence.

I saw the defenders adjusting to this over the course of the game and I thought they looked increasingly liberated. Martinez also played some cracking passes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Already starting
I don't know much about goalkeepers trade, but seems like he was beaten by two wonder goals. Can someone who has more knowledge about this stuff explain what did he do wrong for the first goal? Bellingham was through on goal, he positioned himself closer to him and was trying to close the angle a bit so not sure what he should've done. 9/10 this doesn't go in, it's just a shame Madrid have a bunch of players that can produce those magic moments so often. Or am I wrong?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How was he at fault for the first goal? What do people think he should have done stuck on his line? (Genuine question). I think he was right to come out and try and close down the angle and put the attacker under pressure. Bellinghams touch and finish thought was sublime. Don’t think he was really at any fault there.

spiriticon

I don't know much about goalkeepers trade, but seems like he was beaten by two wonder goals. Can someone who has more knowledge about this stuff explain what did he do wrong for the first goal? Bellingham was through on goal, he positioned himself closer to him and was trying to close the angle a bit so not sure what he should've done. 9/10 this doesn't go in, it's just a shame Madrid have a bunch of players that can produce those magic moments so often. Or am I wrong?
Onana did nothing wrong really. Bellingham was just cool and class enough to chip him. A lesser player would have panicked and shot straight at the keeper.

The first goal was entirely down to AWB fecking up the offside line. Onana did just about all he could have done, it was a great finish.

Pronewbie

Peep
Watching the replays during the match I felt like he could have held his position and start backpedalling the moment Bellingham's touch took him away from goal. Not sure if it's the momentum, adrenaline or what not that made him decide to continue rushing out even though there was a defender(Lisandro) catching up to Bellingham.

But It's something for the coaching team and him to analyse and practise the various scenarios. I thought it was a very good preseason in that respect.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Onana did nothing wrong really. Bellingham was just cool and class enough to chip him. A lesser player would have panicked and shot straight at the keeper.
Exactly. It's a matter of class and some luck. Onana might have stayed close to the goal but Bellingham could've crossed and other Madrid player would've bicycled the ball into the net. If you'te against world class players you can't always prevent the goal, you can only minimise the chance of scoring and I think he did that.

It certainly seems like our defenders were getting into Onana's way, what isn't much of an issue after they have been playing with De Gea. Just needs a bit more time together. I do like how vocal he seems.

Watching the replays during the match I felt like he could have held his position and start backpedalling the moment Bellingham's touch took him away from goal. Not sure if it's the momentum, adrenaline or what not that made him decide to continue rushing out even though there was a defender(Lisandro) catching up to Bellingham.

But It's something for the coaching team and him to analyse and practise the various scenarios. I thought it was a very good preseason in that respect.
Might be although if you watch the ball trajectory, there's no way he prevents that from going in unless he stands in goal from the very beginning. I also thought backpedalling is the worse thing a gk can do, as this completely prevents him from any quick reaction. Maybe the initial decision to go high was wrong but this was a fantastic strike.

Stadjer

Bit sad that he is going to be compared to 10 years of DDG wondersaves while forgetting the mistakes DDG made in that comparison. DDG was at a certain point a fantastic goalkeeper but Onana seems like a big upgrade over last season DDG.

Dannn411

And do you know what's funny? He actually displayed his shot stopping ability on two occasions. The Vinicius shot and a Joselu point blank chance in the second half.

Blood Mage

It's already clear that we won't be as susceptible to a high press as in recent years. Will allow us to dominate more games.

sifi36

I think he had a good game bar the first goal. He swept well, kept the ball moving nicely, came for a cross and made a couple of great saves from Vinicius and Joselu.

He couldn’t do anything about the second goal but he made life a lot easier for Bellingham by coming off his line. According to goalkeeperxg, the data shows short range 1v1s are best dealt with by coming out to smother, but long range 1v1s are better dealt with by staying on the edge of the 6 yard box and making the attacker make a decision. Coming off your line that far opens up options for the attacker, like a chip, that wouldn’t exist otherwise.

Ederson is similarly over-proactive on 1v1s and does well as a result on the short stuff and below average on the longer stuff. De Gea was the opposite. Alisson picks his moments better and is great at both.

BerryBerryShrew

I know, limited budget yada yada yada.

But watching Onana makes me think that we missed a trick by not signing Timber. Imagine how incredible we'd be in the build up with proper ballers like Timber, Licha, and Shaw taking advantage of the space that Onana creates. We'd be even more unpressable than Citeh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Kind of ironic that the first goal he conceded is a 1vs.1... the only one thing you could say DDG was still top class at.

He did get it a bit wrong, but it wasn't a howler or anything... He'll be fine. Passing was very nice