Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
seeing as we can’t give henderson away, should we employ him as a kind of “cricketing back-stop” to cover onana when he’s out of his goal? as long as they remember to shout “rush goalie” i think they’ll both be able to use their hands in turn.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He's going to be an absolute target for the media, when he has the same ability as Ederson and Allison who are the media darlings of GKs

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Some are really desperate to come down on Onana that they'd pretend that he had any part in us conceding that goal.

Onana was where he's supposed to be. He helps with the build up and he's always an available option for a pass. When the team has the ball under no pressure we should be able not to give it away cheaply and cause our own issues.

I'm glad Onana kept playing the way he plays unbothered, and was still making himself available as a passing outlet high up the pitch.

And those thinking teams will be attempting to chip him from far, how many teams attempted to chip in for far this pre season? Exactly once. That's right, from a needless mistake. This should tell people everything they need to know.
You know what the issue is, and I hope people don't take it the wrong way. But along with evolving our team and play-style, ten Hag also needs to evolve and modernise the mindsets of some in our fan base who refuse to even attempt to understand what the role of the goalkeeper is in a team that is looking to play proactive football in and out of possession. And the GK is quite clearly the 11th outfield player in such a approach but this doesn't register with a certain mindset.

Onana of course has to be positioned where he is because that's his role as the 11th outfield passing option. But you cannot as a player in the defensive line give the ball away whilst having time and space to make the pass. And because Dalot gave the ball away cheaply in a very dangerous area of the pitch, it turned a advantageous situation into a disadvantage due to Onana being higher up the pitch. It's why I keep banging on about having players in the first phase who are very good on the ball and provide the technical security in possesion to enforce the advantage of having the GK higher up the pitch as a extra passing option.

But having said that, the finish was superb from the Lens players and he punished Dalot's cheap giveaway with aplomb.

mu4c_20le

He's going to be an absolute target for the media, when he has the same ability as Ederson and Allison who are the media darlings of GKs
When social media is ruthless, sometimes media has no choice. We'll just have to keep winning games.

RuudTom83

The media will be cheering every time Onana concedes a goal and every time Hojlund misses a chance...the articles write themselves.

All the more reason to completely ignore the noise and just support the team.

ChaddyP

I never expected how much of a leader he was . Huge personality and makes big statements . Love him already

Syphon Wallet

The media will be cheering every time Onana concedes a goal and every time Hojlund misses a chance...the articles write themselves.

The Sun has an article saying United fans are calling for a refund on Onana.
It's disgusting really.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He was where he needs to be. Why don‘t you bring up Dalot‘s hospital pass?
Because a fullback misplaced the pass giving the opposition a clean strike on goal.

He is positioned to support the defence in possession, which is the phase of play we are in.

This is 2023, goalkeepers are expected to be a spare man when building out from the back.
It would be a mistake if the opposition had the ball on the halfway in a position to shoot and he was still so high up

Fact is the ball was turned over in an instant due to a dumb unexpected mistake. You can't blame the goalkeeper for being positioned where he is supposed to be when we have possession.
I’m not saying Dalot wasn’t at fault, but I am saying that Onana needs to take some responsibility too! If that was Alison or Ederson (and certainly DDG!) we’d all be laughing and blaming them, but it’s our shiny new toy and he’s beyond criticism as yet!

As per my original post, I’m pleased we’ve got him and look forward to seeing his contribution in our build up play but he has to take some responsibility, any keeper getting lobbed from the half way line simply has to!

Same old story when the new signings get a honeymoon period (remember the Darmian, the Italian fantastic defender) before turning to them. Maguire the world class CB, AWB the best tackler in the world and countless other examples where the new signings, especially if they are the manager’s, can do no wrong.

I just hope Onana and ten Hag actually learn something from this. Under no circumstances (except probably in the last minute where the keeper goes to score from a corner kick) is acceptable to concede a goal from 50+ meters. If that happens, it is a mistake. Yep, we have seen Neuer and Ederson conceding these goals too but those were mistakes too. Luckily, it happened in a match that has no importance, and hopefully it does not happen again.
agreed…

croadyman

I would rather this happens now before the first league game,has given him a wake up call about coming too far out of his goal

mu4c_20le

Gonna be a lot of bending over backwards to make things not his fault this season I fear. That goal is absolutely his fault, not a terrible error since its such a good strike but definitely his error.
Probably 50/50, Lens obviously did their homework as they tried a few more times in the second half

Tiber

The 'its Dalot's fault' posts are fairly pointless. We will lose the ball in midfield on a regular basis, keeper needs to be prepared for that eventuality

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

To be fair half of the Caf will be cheering as well because they're miserable gits.

erikcred

The exact opposite mentality to our former captain Maguire.
First of all, it's not like the rest of the team have shown themselves to be mentality monsters or anything so far.

Secondly, this sort of needless comment is what translates to needless boos during preseason games by fans who're likely following these discussions. Let's just enjoy our progress without dragging the poor guy into every comment.

OsloRed

He knows his positioning wasn't good
There wasn't much wrong with it. His role three seconds before the shot was to be a passing option for Dalot, which he was. He can't account for possible sloppiness from other players in his positioning in possession.

pascell

seeing as we can’t give henderson away, should we employ him as a kind of “cricketing back-stop” to cover onana when he’s out of his goal? as long as they remember to shout “rush goalie” i think they’ll both be able to use their hands in turn.
Yes, only as long as Henderson is holding the string tied to the post when the tags made will it be legal.

HookedOnAPhelan

Dalot laid it on an absolute plate for a first-time chip which was also perfectly executed. Can't really blame Onana for that, shit happens.

Drainy

The 'its Dalot's fault' posts are fairly pointless. We will lose the ball in midfield on a regular basis, keeper needs to be prepared for that eventuality
If he's deep then he's not helping increase the pace of our defensive transition. He would be the third man from too far away from play and if the ball is played to him would give the initiative to the opponent, who would press and lead to the defensive line dropping deeper or us punting the ball.

His role is to support the defence as a third man to move the ball into midfield or out wide quickly in order to improve our territorial advantage and make passing and counter pressing easier.

Just accept that full backs playing for Manchester United should be able to play 10 metre passes, or play the ball to the third man successfully. It's not an Onana problem.

El Zoido

All top keepers take that position, only difference is City etc's aren't laying up the opposition for an easy lob. He might have to adjust his game to stay deeper. And yes DDG would've saved it, the bloke was scared to leave his six yard box which is one of the main reasons he's been replaced. Modern gk is more proactive with the play in quality teams that can keep possession, we still make these kinds of mistakes though.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In regards to people saying this will happen all the time if he doesn't adjust his play. I mean, it was a really great strike by the Lens player, to be fair. Even ignoring Dalot fecking up and catching everyone on the back foot, this absolutely won't happen all the time, because most attempts like this go sailing way over the bar, and nowhere near the target.

It was a really clean strike.

cafecillos

We will lose the ball in midfield on a regular basis
If United is going to be giving away balls like that on a regular basis then yes, by all means you need a keeper who will not leave the goal to save his life.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That you need to be a bit more careful, I guess. I believe since Stankovic goal where Neuer fecked up (and might have caused them the tie), he didn’t get a goal from 50 meters again.

Dalot fecked up but players misplace passes all the time, especially 50-60 yards away. That should not result in a goal.
I don’t think you really believe that? The reason Neuer hasn’t conceded a goal from the halfway line again isn’t because he has played more cautiously. It’s just incredibly rare that people score those goals. Here’s one example of a chance he was more culpable for that didn’t lead to a goal.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZxxRNsJfyig?feature=share

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
he has to take some responsibility, any keeper getting lobbed from the half way line simply has to!
How should he take responsibility? Play like De Gea?

A lobbed goal is 1 goal as is a deflected shot or own goal.
Problem will arise when he's lobbed every weekend, same as if Martinez scores an own goal every weekend till January.

Till then, football is a game of goals and mistakes but still halfway lobbs, own goals are not that frequent.

We will concede goals in the coming season and everyone in the club will be responsible in one way or another. Till it becomes a weekend occurance then they is nothing to worry about.

cafecillos

Just to be absolutely clear, Onana was where he was because the team was in the middle of what should have been a fairly comfortable phase of the build-up, in more contested phases/circumstances of play he won't be where he was here. Dalot's mistake was colossal and completely unacceptable for a professional RB, that's all there is to it.

Abraxas

Complete non issue of a goal. It's incredibly unfortunate it has happened a few games into his United career, though. We're all sat around talking about his aggressive positioning and positive play and how he'll be a media target and then the most ridiculous lob goes flying in :lol:

But...it's a friendly. If we're going to have one go in then I'll take it now. If teams want to attempt low percentage lobs all game, I think that's good for us in general. You need your keeper taking proactive positions if we're going to play like that as a team so it's not a problem. Really sloppy from Dalot as well.

The Irish Connection

Nearly all of the goals conceded this season were from our own mistakes in possession. Need to cut that out. In this case it was 100% Dalots loose pass.

The United

That kind of attempt that got the goal today will happen a lot to goalkeepers who go up and play as sweepers, for obvious reasons. He just needs to deal with them and our defense just needs to make sure they don't lose the ball too much around the middle circle area. Unless we start to concede like that often, I don't think it is a concern for him or the team at the moment.