View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lecland07

Think he felt a bit left out with not making a mistake so he tried to top them all at the end.

Don't think it was a penalty, to be honest. I have never seen those given. Still, it was a bit mad.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Absolutely brilliant. It's so nice to see a keeper come for crosses. The one diving catch on the cross is something De Gea would've never done. No shot came from it because of it, but if it's De Gea, they possibly score and everyone says "nothing De Gea could have done to save that one".

RORY65

Ahum, I'm not sure that's the rule though. You foul a player, it's a foul. Otherwise you could just shove players left and right as long as the ball isn't in close proximity. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Did you not know the rule that you can basically do WWE moves on players if they've already headed the ball?

He was very lucky to get away with that, to me it was a clear penalty and you can guarantee if an outfield player went in half as recklessly without getting the ball then a penalty would have been given. Other than that he did reasonably well, we didn't get to see much of his distribution because there was no movement ahead of him and nobody even seemed to want the ball but he was sharp off his line a couple of times and made some decent, if not spectacular, saves that helped us scrape a pretty undeserved win.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Think he felt a bit left out with not making a mistake so he tried to top them all at the end.

Don't think it was a penalty, to be honest. I have never seen those given. Still, it was a bit mad.
I'd rather have a brave keeper go for it than just stay glued to his line constantly if I'm honest. Sure he might feck it up once or twice but more often than not it ends in a positive result

Rustyspider13

Thought he gave away a penalty. But apart from that he was very solid, good saves, good passes and unafraid to collect crosses. Our players' lack of ability to win headers made his long passes look bad.

RuudTom83

It was more of a shock seeing a United keeper throw himself into the crowd.

Alemar

He saved everything, reached several crosses. And many shots were very dangerous

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Honestly, the way some people were saying he is poor in shot-stopping I was expecting all those shots to be converted.
Agreed he looked assured but let's wait on a bigger sample shall we? Also that reckless challenge in the box could cost us the game. Brave but slightly overconfident. Penalty all day long.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Never a penalty. If a player gets a shot off and then gets hit after, it is never a penalty. In this case, it wasn't even the player who headed it who got hit. He's jumping out at the ball to make himself big. Never a penalty. If a player knocks it past him and is prevented from getting to his own touch, then it's a penalty. Never a penalty in that situation

mctrials23

His passing tonight was really poor but its his first big game at OT and United were fecking awful. We were beaten to absolutely everything tonight. So many passes found their target flat on their heels.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Told everyone he'll be great.

I think he's going to end up as our best signing of this window.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He saved everything, reached several crosses. And many shots were very dangerous
That's the biggest thing. Not the saves that he made, but the saves he didn't have to make because he came out and took the cross. De Gea never did that and scoring chances happened because of it

Arnold Layne

Man of the match for me. I think the fact that the Wolves player connected with the ball before the collision is why it wasn't given. His positioning was very good tonight.

parkthebuslads

Technically , he looks really rough around the edges, albeit with the usual exception of being good with his feet. At times he reminds me a bit of an outfield player in goal but I suppose you don't get extra points for style.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What’s the rule?
When is going for a 50/50 ball which both players missed and collided into each other a penalty? Had the Wolves player got to the ball and Onana clattered into him late, that would have been a penalty. They don't hand penalties on 50/50 balls where neither players got to the ball at all. They both went for it with eyes on the ball and miss hence why it wasn't given a penalty even after a review.

Highfather_24

Good solid aggressive game. The wolves players were putting themselves about the whole game, really liked him coming out for crosses confidently.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
My MOM. I don't blame Onana for trying to come through the crowd at the end and missing the ball. That's what a goalie should do. He had to at least make the Wolves players work to win the ball in the box. Had he stayed rooted to his line Wolves' 6'7" striker would've had the run of our area in time added on. Made some sharp saves, patrolled his area. All things considered I think he can be happy with his night's work.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
When is going for a 50/50 ball which both players missed and collided into each other a penalty? Had the Wolves player got to the ball and Onana clattered into him late, that would have been a penalty. They don't hand penalties on 50/50 balls where neither players got to the ball at all. They both went for it with eyes on the ball and miss hence why it wasn't given a penalty even after a review.
So there’s no specific rule in the rule book for this, it’s more of a ‘rub of the green’ sort of scenario (I have no clue if you are a golfer or not)?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Very good performance. So composed and doesn’t make everyone else in the team nervous.

Andersons Dietician

If I was him I’d be straight in to ETH to get the hairdryer out and get the team creating passing options. Did ping one brilliant ball to Garnacho and I quite liked the diving at someone’s feet to win the ball and he had a few more proactive moments but that was probably a penalty.

I can see why it isn’t given, but it was on the edge.

Malone_Post

Very impressive debut. Really like the guy already, has that personality and confidence you want in a keeper. Could see him becoming a real cult hero over time.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s light years ahead of de Gea. Bit lucky at the end but other than that moment he was fantastic. Clean sheet on debut!

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Ahum, I'm not sure that's the rule though. You foul a player, it's a foul. Otherwise you could just shove players left and right as long as the ball isn't in close proximity. Makes no sense whatsoever.
It is in the sense that Onana did not affect the opponent's ability to play the ball as best as he could in that situation, as it had already happened, and no obvious goal-scoring opportunity was denied either.

Taken from the FA's website, the following factors were surely also taken into consideration and were in favour of Onana here:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders
No penalty for me.

El Jefe

Do some of you know what erratic means? He was assured for pretty much all of the game and had a single crazy moment.

I think the panic was cause by that fecking giant being on the pitch, it unsettled him and made him second guess himself.

He was calm and I felt comfortable witb him out there.

KD6-3.7

Aside from that little penalty scare it looked like a solid debut. When Wolves were constantly whipping in crosses and I was nowhere near as nervous with Onana then I was with DDG in goals.

Ricardo de la Vega

Thought he was a total beast tonight. If thats the Onana we're getting week in week out we've got ourselves a goalkeeper lads.

predator

Youth NITK
Maybe a pen but doesnt matter now. Absolutely love his physicality and vocalness. Also seems to have great reflexes.

Very happy with the debut and think he will only get better.

RedOrange

Was fine for Wolves all match. Lots of pick plays off the ball both in and out of possession.

CoopersDream

It is in the sense that Onana did not affect the opponent's ability to play the ball as best as he could in that situation, as it had already happened, and no obvious goal-scoring opportunity was denied either.

Taken from the FA's website, the following factors were surely also taken into consideration and were in favour of Onana here:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders
No penalty for me.
I'm not sure what those factors matters. The fact of the matter is that he fouled the other player. He did so inside the penatly area, should be a penalty. This seems to me that it is the same incorrect interpretation of the rules leading a lot of people to believe that just because a defender nudged the ball first, he can bring down the opposing player in full force afterwards. It's not how it works.

Devil81

Why can't keepers challenge for the ball anymore. It was refreshing to see a keeper come for crosses at Old Trafford, especially that diving catch in the danger zone at the end. De Gea concedes a goal there, I don't care what anyone says the player gets a shot off and it ends a draw.