Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
From The Athletic's article on the game:
Don’t agree with their conclusion that Arsenal somehow worked out how to play against us. At the end of the day we played the ball out from our defence into midfield far more fluently and more often than we did last season. We obviously need to improve what happens from there but Onana has already done his job at that point and it makes us a better team regardless. It’s not as though it’s something other teams don’t all do anyway. Including Arsenal ffs.

Sylar

Those who want to see the difference between Onana and DDG - sofascore has the average position map for our latest year's match at Emirates and today. Just compare the front 3 heat maps of Arsenal players between that match and this match.

, oh DDG would have saved it back in 2014 doesn't cut it, anymore.
Yeah we were under severe pressure last season at their place. It felt like they were coming wave after wave. Today we did better and having onana meant they weren't pressing as high up which relieved a lot of pressure.
Losing out two CBs was a blow though.

He's the 3rd most expensive GK of all time, he's naturally going to be judged as such.
Five games for us. Are we really going to compare a first five games to a peak period for a player? .keep in mind at the time ddg was seen as expensive for a GK, and his first five games were arguably worse (and ddg had the benefit of joining a cl finalist and prem holders with a settled experience defence)

Before christmas I think that Onana`s position will be challenged by Bayindir - a bit like when we had both Lindegaard and De Gea. I know the situation is not 100% the same because De Gea was very young at that time.
Intriguing prediction. I can't see it though, i think bayindir will be solely for cups especially earlier rounds

Eric_the_Red99

We had an 'outlier' keeper who was outstanding for 10+ years and won the Premier League golden glove last year - we are used to it. That second goal was a shocker and until we get a better team at retaining and recycling the ball across the outfield, I'd rather have a keeper who can actually stop goals
For god’s sake I wish people would stop mentioning that dumb golden glove award. Number of clean sheets is a silly way of determining the best goalkeeper, given that how many goals a team concedes is down to how well it defends as a whole. Unless you think DDG was also personally responsible for every goal we conceded while he was in goal? Like all 7 against Liverpool? All 6 against City?

Stupid golden glove award wasn’t even a thing 20 years ago.

Devil You Know

I love the guy, and he's probably my favourite United player at the moment.

But a top goalie shouldn't be letting in a near post shot like that. That was poor from him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I love the guy, and he's probably my favourite United player at the moment.

But a top goalie shouldn't be letting in a near post shot like that. That was poor from him.
It took a deflection and changed the trajectory of the ball.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's been hung out to dry by some of the defending for the goals he's conceded.

Born2Lose

So calm and assured, such a pleasure to watch a guy who doesn't cack his pants anytime the ball is passed to him.

croadyman

Seems some have had enough already,might help if he had a defence who could stay fit in front of him though. He really needs that big performance to get some people off his back a little.

JeffFromHK

I love him, but he has a history of conceding similar goals (spilling in weak shots to the near post) in his Inter/Ajax days, he really needs to work on that!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Found it funny how he was jumping around after we scored but then a minute later we concede and he’s telling everyone to calm down.

NoPace

With a less comfortable goalkeeper in there we'd have been dominated in the first half. He controlled the game.

In the end, we probably lost by a few inches (Garnacho's offside) and I really doubt we'd have been in the game if we'd have had a normal keeper gifting possession back to them or unwilling to quarterback the play.

Idxomer

One insane stat from yesterday

Progressive Carrying distance
Onana 197
Rashford 123
Lindelof 101

Not a good look for our defensive midfielder or our fullbacks.

georgipep

What is so hard for you to understand about ‘prioritisation’. I am not saying you don’t need a capable keeper for this, im saying if the rest of your team is at the levels ours is at it’s probably better to prioritise those areas first or you know sign a keeper who can do those things who doesn’t cost 55 million. It’s called squad and budget management. I don’t even get what you’re arguing against. The evidence has been there today and va Tottenham. Onana Martinez and dalot do a decent enough job then as soon as it goes into midfield to someone who isn’t eriksen it’s turn over time. The more you turn the ball over the less control you have over a game. This negates any ball playing positional advantages your keeper gives you.
You may have the best 10 outfield players in the world. But with De Gea you play 10 vs 11.

That's why Onana was more important than any midfielder. So we can start playing 11 vs 11.

Litch

I think hes one of only a few that fills out that utd shirt. There are too many at the club who dont have the character to play for us.
Its an aside but didnt he fall out previously Erik too....

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Guarantee you we’d of gotten mauled by Arsenal today if DDG was playing. They would have pressed the life out of us.

Can’t believe my eyes people saying he’s no good. Must have an agenda, or simply need to have someone or something to moan about.
For every goal Onana concedes De Gea gets closer to being back to his prime, despite nobody seemingly wanting to sign him. There’s going to be a lot of ‘De Gea would have saved that’ as if he didn’t let in any soft goals last season. :lol:

Rossa

First thought is that his short passing really is sublime. He is so calm and composed that even Ederson needs to look over his shoulder. It enables us to play out from the back to a degree we have never seen before at United, as I can recall. His long range passing, however, is for now no better than DDG - not in the slightest. That may change, and if so, it may transform our play.

That being said, I also find that we are approaching that City brand of football that is simply a snooze fest. Moving the ball back and forth between defenders is neither here nor there, and one may start to wonder when the goalie har just about more touches than anyone else in the squad. Playing out from the back is fine, but play football ffs.

Also, his actual good old fashioned goal keeping isn't all that impressive. I wouldn't call them mistakes, but if DDG let in that 2-1, I would have branded it a mistake, even with the deflection - his hand was weak as he was on it. We've seen it a couple of times already. He's on the ball, meaning it's possible to save it, but it goes in off his arms/hands.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They tried to press but it wasn't effective because of Onana. Very clearly. Last season they pressed us to shit and battered us in play and chances. Today it was not the case, as their press was ineffective. That is all on Onana.
They didn't press as they normally do. Even Neville mentioned it. They committed less men to it and we had a simple pass between Onana > Eriksen > AWB as Martinelli closed Onana down and left AWB. It wasn't an aggressive press by their standards and they didn't commit many men to it, hence us having clear routes out all the time. Maybe they didn't commit because we've got Onana, but other teams have had success this season by pressing. Commentators thought maybe due to heat but I think Arsenal were trying to make sure they didn't lose and wanted to nullify our counter first and foremost.

Longshanks

Could of done better with the second goal, the deflection makes it hard of course so it's not a howler but maybe a little mistake, probably feels himself he could of done better aswell.

The positives though gave us that control and that ability to rest in possesion with his ability to play out very important in these sort of away games. The game was even we just got unlucky at the end. Whereas last season in the same game we got compleatly out played mostly thanks to our keepers inability with the ball at his feet.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
7 goals conceded from xGA of 6,4, I'd say prime De Gea would maybe save one or two of those goals but no way we are getting a point in any of those Tottenham/Arsenal games.

He has transformed our game for sure, I also think he's been on the unlucky side so far (keeper can only do so much). Neither goal is a result of his direct mistake. I'm happy with him.

The problem is this team is playing like 17/18 season (if I recall correctly?) so a great shot stopper is what would really make a difference. But we all know by know this is not sustainable (you can't rely on your GK to keep saving your ass).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
First thought is that his short passing really is sublime. He is so calm and composed that even Ederson needs to look over his shoulder. It enables us to play out from the back to a degree we have never seen before at United, as I can recall. His long range passing, however, is for now no better than DDG - not in the slightest. That may change, and if so, it may transform our play.

That being said, I also find that we are approaching that City brand of football that is simply a snooze fest. Moving the ball back and forth between defenders is neither here nor there, and one may start to wonder when the goalie har just about more touches than anyone else in the squad. Playing out from the back is fine, but play football ffs.

Also, his actual good old fashioned goal keeping isn't all that impressive. I wouldn't call them mistakes, but if DDG let in that 2-1, I would have branded it a mistake, even with the deflection - his hand was weak as he was on it. We've seen it a couple of times already. He's on the ball, meaning it's possible to save it, but it goes in off his arms/hands.
His long passing is miles better. Did you miss the Spurs game where he placed a pinpoint pass over the top of the defence straight to Garnacho.

Hughes35

A bit embarrasing that our goalkeeper was the one controlling the game and possession for us. It shows how poor we are in the final 3rd.

Having said that, I think he superb in possession and if we can get the rets of our shit together, will be great for us.

DonBecks

I can't believe there's even a smidgen of discontent to be heard here with Onana. I think he's been absolutely fantastic so far, as good as a goalkeeper with their feet as I've ever seen. The relief our defence must feel knowing they can knock it back to him and start again.

Rossa

His long passing is miles better. Did you miss the Spurs game where he placed a pinpoint pass over the top of the defence straight to Garnacho.
I know it's better, but his long range passing has been rather poor thus far, and very inconsistent. Even DDG had the occasional great long range pass.

But the one you mention was a thing of pure beauty for sure. We need to see it more consistently, however.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
His distribution is a game changer and will be very effective once we have our first 11 playing again.

People keep saying he should've saved that near post goal, even though I think it was too close and took a deflection, but people keep forgetting he saved us a certain goal on the 83rd minute whereas DDG would've let it go between his legs.

Moreover, we had a very good chance at the 77th (?) minute all because of a simple pass by Onana to Martinez, whose man decided to rush Onana. These small things have a huge impact as Martinez was free to run at the Arsenal midfield and that set off the entire chain to good passing and the opportunity.

red.knight

Surprised not more made of Onana for that goal, it took a deflection but a top keeper saves that Rice goal.

meamth

It took a deflection and changed the trajectory of the ball.
Yeah but he should've blocked with his whole body, not using his hands on that situation. De Gea would've tried to use his feet in that situation.

Not saying I wished we have DDG back, but yeah he should've saved that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think people use the phrase "transformed the team" a little too liberally but he has done exactly that. Arsenal couldn't find a pressing trigger because he was so calm and he transmits it throughout the entire backline. Easily the best signing since Bruno.

Verward

Having seen him at Ajax, I was never impressed with him. He has an error in which would generally come out at wrong time. Remember, Spurs last minute goal against Ajax. I felt Onana could have stopped that but his positioning was so so wrong.
I thought he may have improved after his stint in Italy but sadly, he's still the old same.

I maybe in a minority but I do not trust and see Onana to be long term solution.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can he play in midfield?

Oh wait, he does :lol:

We'll be great once the team get used to him/start making the correct runs on a regular basis.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah but he should've blocked with his whole body, not using his hands on that situation. De Gea would've tried to use his feet in that situation.

For a ball that went into the next above waist height?
I think the criticism is overly harsh on this particular shot. He didn't have much time to react after the deflection which took the ball into a different direction

dalriada

Yeah we were under severe pressure last season at their place. It felt like they were coming wave after wave. Today we did better and having onana meant they weren't pressing as high up which relieved a lot of pressure.
Losing out two CBs was a blow though.

Five games for us. Are we really going to compare a first five games to a peak period for a player? .keep in mind at the time ddg was seen as expensive for a GK, and his first five games were arguably worse (and ddg had the benefit of joining a cl finalist and prem holders with a settled experience defence)

Intriguing prediction. I can't see it though, i think bayindir will be solely for cups especially earlier rounds
I guess the other factor is that Onana will be away with the Cameroon team for the Africa Cup of Nations. The reports I've read suggest ETH has been a big fan for a while as well and seems to take the view that we should have competition for every place in the team - very much like Mourinho and very different to, say, LVG. So, Bayındır should get a decent number of games - with Heaton clearly being seen as just emergency backup.

quadrant

His ability on the ball in tandem with Martinez was my biggest plus yesterday by far. Our ability to hold the ball and retain possession in deep defensive areas was genuinely solid and the only reason we didn't get swarmed for extended periods yesterday. Given how completely inept we were at holding the ball up in attacking areas, if we'd been similarly bad at that in defence, we'd have finished the game with 25% possession.

I can see what ETH wants to do, its similar to what Real often do, which is retain possession deep and then try and play very quickly through midfield into attack. Unfortunately, yesterday, the halfway line was about as far as we regularly got before flubbing the execution. Still, its an improvement.

Sadly when Martinez went off the game changed for us in that regard, Maguire just isn't up to the job. Its noticeable how much more pressure they could exert and how much less control we had once that change happened.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Strange opinion in a match where Onana used his body/feet to good effect when making a save from Saka. He likes using his feet to make saves when that’s an option. Also did it a few times against Wolves. There was no way he could have used his feet to save a shot that crossed the line at almost waist height though. The deflection killed him anyway.

Oranges038

Those who want to see the difference between Onana and DDG - sofascore has the average position map for our latest year's match at Emirates and today. Just compare the front 3 heat maps of Arsenal players between that match and this match.

, oh DDG would have saved it back in 2014 doesn't cut it, anymore.
But, Schmeichel would have saved it in 1995 too.

Onana has been fine, he's made some good saves, his overall play has been good. It's only been a few games in and already people and jumping the gun and calling him a flop and wanting ETH gone.

I couldn't be arsed to check but you'd have to wonder how many of these same people defend the likes of Martial and Sancho and still think Fred should have been kept.

Tibs

Love him, but his unique skills are special only when the team is playing well...we're shit at the moment so not seeing the best version of him.

Chief123

Much happier with him than De Gea. Every player has pros n cons. Onana wins overall.

RuudTom83

He is great and I genuinely love watching him play...but then you also find yourself thinking he is kinda easy to score against.