View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Strats

Plays like an outfield player put in goal who has no idea about the basics of being a goalkeeper.

CM

But it actually wasn't and no mythology will ever make it so.

Despite the undeniable mistakes De Gea made last season, our defensive record last season was outstanding. It was our attacking record last season that was horrendous. In an epic thread over the summer the argument was made that getting rid of De Gea and replacing with him with Onana would improve our attacking record. But that argument is as daft as arguing that bringing in a top CF would improve our defensive record.

Keepers exist primarily to keep clean sheets, or to put it more generously, keep the opponent's goal tally as low as possible. We can all point to the Benrahma goal or the Brentford goal early in the reason as De Gea mistakes in the PL -- don't worry, we'll get to the EL in a moment -- but over the totality of the PL season our defensive record was fantastic, even acknowledging the pasting we took at Anfield. De Gea was an important part of that.

As for the EL, every single one of us is aware of De Gea's calamitous mistakes at Sevilla. But few seem to remember the mistakes our defenders made in the first leg that threw away the tie as every one of us knew that once we botched it v Sevilla at home that our goose was cooked at Sevilla, which began with a ball from De Gea that Maguire should have been able to easily manage but didn't, after which it all fell apart. But the more important point is that we didn't need the EL and many of us dismiss the EL as a joke competition. By then we already had CL qualification in hand -- not because our attack was so fantastic, but because our defense was so fantastic. De Gea, despite his mistakes a Brentford and West Ham, played a critical role in United qualifying for the CL. But what did we do? We got rid of him and brought in a keeper who has already made more mistakes in 8 games than De Gea had all season.

Genius isn't exactly the first word that comes to mind when describing United management.
The same outstanding defensive record that saw us concede 7 to Liverpool, 6 to City, 4 to Brentford and multiples against countless other teams? Onana might have a touch of the Barthez about him but we don't need to revise history.

De Gea had been costing us big games and making high profile errors for the best part of 5 years, whilst being the best paid goalkeeper in the world. His only quality as a goalkeeper was his shot stopping, and even that had greatly diminished over the last few years. Onana might not turn out to be the answer but you're a masochist if you wanted De Gea to stay on as first-choice goalkeeper. Last season was the culmination of a horrible spell for De Gea at United.

Dominos

It would be a lot of fun to pile on and remind some posters here that it was a colossal mistake to spend a third of our transfer budget on keeper whom we didn't need. Even for those who were on the "get rid of De Gea" hype train can see that now. And even if getting rid of the golden glove award man was a moral imperative, we could have gone with Henderson or even Heaton, both whom are more solid as shot stoppers than Onana.

But here we are and we have to want Onana to succeed. It would be good man management for ETH to sit Onana down for a few matches and then bring him back. It's been done many times before.
We didn't need Onana, but we needed a keeper who is better than De Gea.

Go watch De Gea's howlers against the likes Brentford, Everton, West ham, Sevilla, City last season alone, these would be embarassing errors for a Sunday league keeper. And that's ignoring the fact he'd never claim or cross or leave his line, and couldn't pass a ball.

If De Gea was a howler-free keeper, we could forgive his weaknesses. But he became one of the most error prone keepers in the league, to go alongside his weaknesses.

De Gea literally cost us the FA cup final because he couldn't make basic saves, instead choosing to literally stand and watch the ball go into the net.

The club, as usual, have made the wrong signing, but the signing was in the right position.

Dominos

See so many digging out mistakes from DDG to justify Onana mistake. Thing is DDG made those over 10-12 season and with few season full of out of this world performances. Onana has made multiple errors in his first 10-12 games. Find it funny when people comb through videos just to defend the indefensible.

Onana movement is an issue. Either it is fitness issue or something else but his GK reflexes look awkward.
We're not talking about De Gea's mistakes from 10 years ago. Again, go and watch De Gea's howlers against the likes Brentford, Everton, West ham, Sevilla, City last season. One of those games cost us an FA cup final and handed City a treble on a plate. And a lot of those howlers are in an area where he's supposed to be strong, shot stopping. And then add in that he never claims a cross, leaves his line and can't pass a ball.

I'd bet my house the likes of Klopp, Pep, Arteta, De Zerbi all would have made it a priority to replace De Gea in the summer.

Wilt

McTominay saved his arse today.

Utd won’t be challenging for any titles with Onana.

FerociousCorgis

Can we just pin at the top of the thread "just because onana is sucking doesn't mean we didn't need to replace/upgrade on ddg"?

Both can be true. Ddg needed replacing but onana certainly is struggling right now to fill the shoes.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We're not talking about De Gea's mistakes from 10 years ago. Again, go and watch De Gea's howlers against the likes Brentford, Everton, West ham, Sevilla, City last season. One of those games cost us an FA cup final and handed City a treble on a plate. And a lot of those howlers are in an area where he's supposed to be strong, shot stopping. And then add in that he never claims a cross, leaves his line and can't pass a ball.

I'd bet my house the likes of Klopp, Pep, Arteta, De Zerbi all would have made it a priority to replace De Gea in the summer.
DDG had credit in the bank.

It was time to replace him but to use his howlers to defend Onana is bit stupid. If we wanted a keeper who will continue to do that, then we would have kept DDG. Onana is being rightly criticised and his technique does raise some serious concerns. Random edits of DDG mistakes wont change the fact that Onana has to be better than what he is at the moment.

Dominos

DDG had credit in the bank.

It was time to replace him but to use his howlers to defend Onana is bit stupid. If we wanted a keeper who will continue to do that, then we would have kept DDG. Onana is being rightly criticised and his technique does raise some serious concerns. Random edits of DDG mistakes wont change the fact that Onana has to be better than what he is at the moment.
I'm not defending Onana.

I'm furious the club have yet again got a key signing wrong.

But De Gea still needed to go.

fallengt

Shouldve signed raya. 20m less and is epl proven
Not like his passing range is weak either

calcio

Looking like maybe Diogo Costa would have been a much better option. If he keeps this up need to find a replacement in the winter window ASAP which will be tough.

Tap

Onana will end up being yet another expensive deadwood that we will struggle to sell

FerociousCorgis

It was in complete jest in the beginning that I said we should've just kept kovar. Creeping more and more into me being serious

lex talionis

Go watch De Gea's howlers against the likes Brentford, Everton, West ham, Sevilla, City last season alone, these would be embarassing errors for a Sunday league keeper. And that's ignoring the fact he'd never claim or cross or leave his line, and couldn't pass a ball.

If De Gea was a howler-free keeper, we could forgive his weaknesses. But he became one of the most error prone keepers in the league, to go alongside his weaknesses.

De Gea literally cost us the FA cup final because he couldn't make basic saves, instead choosing to literally stand and watch the ball go into the net.

The club, as usual, have made the wrong signing, but the signing was in the right position.
I’m not going to pick apart everything you’ve just written partly because you do make a few good points, but mainly because it delusional in the extreme to believe that we would have beaten City in the FA Cup final but for De Gea. We had nothing on City, which did not have a great day at the office but we’re still the better side by miles.

This is the kind of delusion we’ve been dealing with since Moyes, that if only one player was up to it we would have won the FA Cup or the Europa League or the Premier League. The undeniable truth about last season is that our defense was the strength of our squad performance and that our attack was the weakest link in our performance. A keeper’s main job is to keep our sheets as clean as possible and if you or anyone rise cares to check the record Dave did his job. Yes, he made mistakes but he helped us qualify for the CL which was far and away our top priority, he helped us with the league cup which is a meh if you like but it’s still a cup, and he helped us get to the FA Cup final but lost to a team that is vastly superior to us. In case there’s any confusion on this point, let me state this again: City were vastly superior to United last season.

Even if we had fluked a win over City in the FA Cup final that was in no way thrown by De Gea, the same De Gea haters here would have come up with some other excuse to justify getting rid of him. Great, that’s exactly what we we did and here we are now, losing CL group matches we should have won but for horrifying goalkeeping and scraping by clubs in the PL that were put into doubt because of our new keeper. Not the ideal way to run a football club.

fallengt

DDG fanboys just won't let go huh?
He's a free agent and still no club wants him, how are you going to make excuse for that? You can't.

Onana may be a downgrade but DDG wasn't it either. Club could still sell Onana for decent money if Murtough wasn't incompetent, he's still a high profile gk.
Not like Pep got keeper that he wanted right off the bat and Ederson isn't exactly good shoot stopper either.

JeffFromHK

The number of mistakes he made has far exceeded my expectation. I don't think he is gonna make it here tbh, he is another Taibi or Bosnich in our search for the next No.1 goalkeeper

Longshanks

Another poor mistake today. Better in the second half. But still really can't be letting those past you.

Very concerned looks like his confidence is shot. The combination of the lens goal, the wolves non penalty and a couple of handling errors seem to have turned him into a meek GK.

He needs to put his big boy pants on and play his game, struggling to adapt to the pressure and scrutiny of the position somewhat.

Im not writing him off just yet he isn't as bad as he's currently showing. But he really need to get his best form back otherwise he's going to get eaten up and spat out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Drop him for a few weeks. Need a keeper whose starting doesn’t automatically mean you’re a goal down.

Son

He needs the confidence of a solid back 4 in front of him. He seems too nervous but I’m hoping that gets better as he relaxes into the team as time goes on.

Let’s not write him off just yet. He’s not our answer medium / long term but I’m willing to give him time to get his head together a bit.

Diogo Costa from Porto is still my first choice but I also understand been united keeper takes some getting used to.

Mindhunter

Another poor mistake today. Better in the second half. But still really can't be letting those past you.

Very concerned looks like his confidence is shot. The combination of the lens goal, the wolves non penalty and a couple of handling errors seem to have turned him into a meek GK.

He needs to put his big boy pants on and play his game, struggling to adapt to the pressure and scrutiny of the position somewhat.

Im not writing him off just yet he isn't as bad as he's currently showing. But he really need to get his best form back otherwise he's going to get eaten up and spat out.
I get what you are saying but I just don't see the technique and the skill that is latent in him which will help him find back his form.

His positioning is so poor most of the time. It's neither here nor there and I feel that in his mind, he isn't actually expecting to save many quality shots as he always looks unprepared for them. Maybe he didn't know what he was signing up for when he came to the PL. I don't want to write him off but I don't think these issues will ever really go away from him as it is how he plays.

Jev

DDG fanboys just won't let go huh?
He's a free agent and still no club wants him, how are you going to make excuse for that? You can't.

Onana may be a downgrade but DDG wasn't it either. Club could still sell Onana for decent money if Murtough wasn't incompetent, he's still a high profile gk.
Not like Pep got keeper that he wanted right off the bat and Ederson isn't exactly good shoot stopper either.
It's very, very simple. We have a bad goalkeeper. There's a better goalkeeper available as a free transfer. That's it.

fallengt

It's very, very simple. We have a bad goalkeeper. There's a better goalkeeper available as a free transfer. That's it.
If money was issue, should've kept Kovar then? He looked better than both.
De gea is exactly free. Even with reportedly wage reduction, he still would've been highest paid gk in the world.

Smacky The Frog

Man's doing tricks on my eyes. He looks like literally shrinking more and more with every mistake to the point where he makes the goal look absolutely massive now, like a little man standing inside a giant empty warehouse. Allison looks huge in goal for comparison and I looked up his height and he's just an inch taller (!!)

I doubt this is actual level though. He can't possibly be this bad and have made it this far - it's not like United plucked him out of nowhere. Question is, assuming this is a temporary blip, what is his ceiling? I can see him going back to being good/more aggressive on the ball once he gets his confidence back, but he looks limited as a shot stopper/presence and I'm not sure he'll ever be consistently reliable in that regard. Would United fans take it if he ends up being a Lloris level keeper?

Kostov

One thing I can tell you. We didn't spend 50m with the purpose of downgrading. Onana was one of the best keepers last season.

Its easy to say stuff because hindsight is nice.
Wait a minute, how was he one of the best keepers last season? You mean in the CL? His numbers in the league were worse than DDG’s weren’t they? Myself preferred him over Raya but obviously I watched Raya more frequently.
The same outstanding defensive record that saw us concede 7 to Liverpool, 6 to City, 4 to Brentford and multiples against countless other teams? Onana might have a touch of the Barthez about him but we don't need to revise history.

De Gea had been costing us big games and making high profile errors for the best part of 5 years, whilst being the best paid goalkeeper in the world. His only quality as a goalkeeper was his shot stopping, and even that had greatly diminished over the last few years. Onana might not turn out to be the answer but you're a masochist if you wanted De Gea to stay on as first-choice goalkeeper. Last season was the culmination of a horrible spell for De Gea at United.
If that was horrible what in the name of Christ is this from Onana?

Kostov

That right there is a typical agenda driven United fan. Either that or you didn’t watch the cup final. We couldn’t create a single quality chance for our forwards until Garmacho entered and did a few runs on their defenders, if it wasn’t for a stupid penalty we wouldn’t have even scored. But here you are DDG lost us the final :lol:

CM

If that was horrible what in the name of Christ is this from Onana?
He hasn't been good enough but the people using it as an opportunity to point score about another player who clearly wasn't good enough are just irritating. If Onana keeps making stupid errors he'll face the same fate as the last guy who made too many stupid errors. That's how it works.

CoopersDream

I think the mistake many made was thinking the reason we concede so many chances was because we didn't have a modern keeper. It wasn't the reason last season, it isn't the reason this season. Onana isn't a bad keeper, but unfortunately for us his main strengths isn't his ability to save shots it seems. Put Onana in Manchester City and would probably have been great, put Ederson in goal for us and he'd most probably not be any better than Onana. We needed someone like Alisson - elite ball playing but also elite shot stopping.

Kostov

He hasn't been good enough but the people using it as an opportunity to point score about another player who clearly wasn't good enough are just irritating. If Onana keeps making stupid errors he'll face the same fate as the last guy who made too many stupid errors. That's how it works.
It depends what you mean good enough. Good enough to play in a team that can’t score 60 goals in a league season? Yeah DDG was good enough for that team 100%.

Onana is clearly not even good enough for that team.

CM

It depends what you mean good enough. Good enough to play in a team that can’t score 60 goals in a league season? Yeah DDG was good enough for that team 100%.

Onana is clearly not even good enough for that team.
I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. De Gea would've been good enough for a team who bailed him out by scoring more goals? So would Onana, or any other goalkeeper in world football for that matter. De Gea wasn't good enough for any team with ambitions to play on the front foot or in top level European competition, hence he was replaced. I suppose you think Spain played the likes of Kepa, Sanchez and Simon ahead of him because they fancied it for a laugh. The fact De Gea still hasn't found a club after being released at the start of July speaks volumes.

Onana's shot stopping has been terrible. I'd make some concessions for him on account of him being new to the club and trying to play in a way that is more demanding of a goalkeeper, rather than being permanently rooted to his line and refusing to pass the ball. As the poster a couple of posts up points out, Ederson would look poor in this team too. He actually has been quite poor for City at times and is still considered one of the better goalkeepers in Europe. If Onana doesn't improve with time, he will rightly be replaced. That still wouldn't make De Gea good enough for this team, in the same way Joe Hart wasn't good enough for City after they sold Bravo.

Kostov

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. De Gea would've been good enough for a team who bailed him out by scoring more goals? So would Onana, or any other goalkeeper in world football for that matter. De Gea wasn't good enough for any team with ambitions to play on the front foot or in top level European competition, hence he was replaced. I suppose you think Spain played the likes of Kepa, Sanchez and Simon ahead of him because they fancied it for a laugh. The fact De Gea still hasn't found a club after being released at the start of July speaks volumes.
I meant for a team who can’t create and score more than 60 goals in a league season splashing 55m on a new GK wasn’t going to solve anything. DDG was as good as anyone in our back line last season. You talk about front foot football yet we have players of questionable quality and consistency in many far more crucial positions when it comes to build up play. And forget the howlers from Onana, what improvements did we have from his supposed build up play quality and press resistance? Feck all. Some of you have tried to pretend that you have some superior football knowledge and the rest don’t understand front foot pressing and how teams stop pressing us and it helps the team bla bla bla. Well it all has crumbled down like the pile of shot that it
Onana's shot stopping has been terrible. I'd make some concessions for him on account of him being new to the club and trying to play in a way that is more demanding of a goalkeeper, rather than being permanently rooted to his line and refusing to pass the ball. As the poster a couple of posts up points out, Ederson would look poor in this team too. He actually has been quite poor for City at times and is still considered one of the better goalkeepers in Europe. If Onana doesn't improve with time, he will rightly be replaced. That still wouldn't make De Gea good enough for this team, in the same way Joe Hart wasn't good enough for City after they sold Bravo.
Onana has been terrible in all aspects that many criticised DDG for years. He is abysmal on crosses, shit in proactive play, absolutely dogshit on long passes, shot stopping and catching is amateur level. And no Ederson is absolutely miles ahead in every aspect. City also replaced Hart in the season after 2015/2016 which was probably one of their weakest ones in the last 10 years, still had the best attack in the league scoring 71 league goals. We had Weghorst on loan last season, from Burnley.