View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

croadyman

Surely there was another keeper that’s good with the ball at his feet but better at shot stopping than Onana.
Maignan/Costa,just hope the couple of big saves tonight will give him that confidence boost. Could have done with a more favourable game than a derby for him to build on.

Last edited:

Grande

Once again he guessed direction of the penalty correctly, that’s a good sign. Today’s was unsaveable, though
Well observed on saturday, @Alemar! And presto, yesterday he did it again, this time saving the game!

I revisited the Galatasaray game as a warm up yesterday, and it was striking the difference between a) a confident player losing confidence and b) an uncertain player shoreing up and going back to basics. The former has a swagger and margins in his play that turns catastrophic when uncertainty creeps into his game. I remember Schmeichel was like that for a while at the start of his Utd carreer, De Gea too (he was younger tho). Gaia and Sanchez gave us a terrific display of it this weekend. Barthez imploded when his very idiosyncratic style didn’t hold up all of a sudden. This is ten times worse in a headline maker the size of United.

The difference is wether a keeper is phazed permanently, or is able to dig in, go back to basics and slowly turn things around. Schmeichel and De Gea did for us, Leighton, Barthez, Bosnich and several others for us didn’t.

Onana is showing the right signs for me, and was rewarded yesterday with a MotM performance.

Conor

For the people complaining about him launching it, he is clearly being told to do that. It's the polar opposite of how he plays, so I don't really see why it's being made out as though he's just booting it every time because he wants to.

Real Name

So happy for him. Also in the last few games he clearly lifted his form and he got rewarded not only with a pen save but a bloody good one. Also had 2 top saves last night. He needs to work on his kicking but overall I like what I'm seeing.

crossy1686

career ending
Spent all game kicking long balls into touch and then pulls out some great unorthodox saves when it counts. As long as they stay out of the net I'm happy.

georgipep

You're correct I've noticed that myself. But the surprising thing is that at Ajax I saw him sweep up often, even in the Champions league.
Yeah, and he was sweeping in pre-season. After that lob from Dalot's poor pass, he is now glued to his goalline.

lex talionis

The man delivered a clean sheet despite two big occasions when our sheet could have been soiled.

Marcelinho87

So happy for him. Also in the last few games he clearly lifted his form and he got rewarded not only with a pen save but a bloody good one. Also had 2 top saves last night. He needs to work on his kicking but overall I like what I'm seeing.
His kicking is his best attribute, he being told to lump it evidently because we have nobody capable of playing out to or receiving long balls.

This should improve when we have our best team available.

Real Name

His kicking is his best attribute, he being told to lump it evidently because we have nobody capable of playing out to or receiving long balls.

Yeah, agreed. He has a good throw on him as well, goes really long.

Oldyella

For the people complaining about him launching it, he is clearly being told to do that. It's the polar opposite of how he plays, so I don't really see why it's being made out as though he's just booting it every time because he wants to.
If he's still doing it when Shaw and Martinez are back I will worry. For now, he's doing the right thing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It was actually a great save, too. Some pen saves you can attribute to a poor strike from the person taking the pen, but this was genuinely an excellent save. Great reaction and a strong hand. Pleased for him. He hasn't exactly filled me with confidence since arriving, but that was a big moment.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
One in five is pretty good still. At least it is someone between the sticks we can harbour some hope in saving penalties. I never had any confidence in de Gea saving them, it always felt like a conceded goal when a penalty was awarded against us. Likewise a penalty shootout felt like a loss.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Made up for him, he needed that.
Yeah. The dude couldn't contain his smile after that. Hopefully this is a turnaround for him. he's got a lot of stick the past few weeks, but I'm hoping he will hold his good form.

Pickle85

Great to see that - really hope this proves to be a turning point for him.

tomaldinho1

Spent all game kicking long balls into touch and then pulls out some great unorthodox saves when it counts. As long as they stay out of the net I'm happy.
He read the caf and realised he could just do what DDG did and end up on £375k a week

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One in five is pretty good still. At least it is someone between the sticks we can harbour some hope in saving penalties. I never had any confidence in de Gea saving them, it always felt like a conceded goal when a penalty was awarded against us. Likewise a penalty shootout felt like a loss.
Oh it's definitely good! As it shows, he's above average with them, and then you consider that probably 5% of pens just miss the target, you're looking at 1 in 4 being missed against Onana.

With de Gea, he was 14% but if you break it down further, it shows that his splits of first half of his career and 2nd half were drastically different.

And I definitely believe penalties are an extremely mental game, and if the taker thinks the goalkeeper is shit, then they are less likely to take a shit pen or miss the net, which in turn makes it tougher for the goalkeeper... Self fulfilling prophecy.

TsuWave

As a side note - still can’t believe that was given as a pen. Insane stuff.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As a side note - still can’t believe that was given as a pen. Insane stuff.
As a side side note; i noticed that at first sight and now after watching that pen 50 times ( :) ) it looks that his foot is not touching goal line before the save.

suheilsworld

Anyone noticing the love-in between Onana and Maguire last few games, especially on Onana insta …. Loving it! I love a redemption story and theirs is one!

USREDEVIL

I've not been convinced by Onana (shocking i know) but he was great yesterday and that earlier save was fantastic. So glad to see that pen save. Clearly did him wonders and you can tell he's an emotional guy.

Golden Nugget

Oh it's definitely good! As it shows, he's above average with them, and then you consider that probably 5% of pens just miss the target, you're looking at 1 in 4 being missed against Onana.

With de Gea, he was 14% but if you break it down further, it shows that his splits of first half of his career and 2nd half were drastically different.

And I definitely believe penalties are an extremely mental game, and if the taker thinks the goalkeeper is shit, then they are less likely to take a shit pen or miss the net, which in turn makes it tougher for the goalkeeper... Self fulfilling prophecy.
What I noticed towards the end of his career here is that he dived way too early. With a lot of penalty takers now deciding on a side at the last moment, Dave made up their mind most of the time

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

People are just ignorant about it. Just look at the cl final how he bypassed the press and passed straight to forwards.

Alemar

Actually what Mr. Harrison writes about his penalty stats is a bit bullshit. If we only take his top flight stats (without youth football and without Netherlands tier 2 championship - only accounting for Eredivisie there), he then has the following stats

Penalties faced: 27
Penalties not scored: 8
Penalties scored: 19

8/27 is 29.62% save ratio (it includes penalties that missed the target, but why shouldn’t we count them as saves - the GK influenced the miss anyway). It’s a very solid penalty save ratio.

And he is also at 2/4 for Man Utd already, one way or another.

Last edited:

Anustart89

Noticed how he, in the middle of all the celebrations, told the other players to defend the corner before being told by Lindelöf that the game was over.

croadyman

Noticed how he, in the middle of all the celebrations, told the other players to defend the corner before being told by Lindelöf that the game was over.
Great mentality,really hope Tuesday night was the lift off for his Utd career