View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Old Ma Crow

The ETH having to much control of transfers is a valid point.

The points about what Ange was saying about Vicario didn't really make sense, ETH would have said similar things about Onana, in fact, any manager is going to say similar things about any signings they make. If your point was simply we should not let the manager pick players, it would have been easier just to write that.

I still think Onana will make it here for what it's worth.
I just watched the highlights of last night's game. He made a couple of good confident saves until that first free kick, so hopefully he can sort his head out and be more consistent. I still don't know wtf he was thinking for those 2 free kicks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His PSxG +/- was -4.1, which is the worst Inter have recorded since 2017-18 (which is as far back as FBref goes with xG stats). Scary in the sense that those who were claiming that his CL performances don't tell the whole story actually had some stats to back their claim up. I remember a friend at work telling me, back in the summer, that it's a bit suspicious that the Italians were more than willing to discuss a price. The goalkeeper position in football is idiosyncratic, and you'd expect more resistance for a top in his class goalie.
Is that from one specific season? I remember reading about him having a horror season either before or after his drug ban?

EDIT: Never mind. That was when he was at Ajax. Shite. Those stats are grim.

ti vu

Wasn't he voted best keeper in last year's CL campaign?

According to FBref his shot stopping this campaign is worse than all but one other goalkeeper.

Last season he was top of the list. None better. Which is mad. 7th best at stopping crosses too. Looks like he's got a terrible case of Manchester Uniteditis.
You meant the PSxG+/- ??

PSxG+/- is calculated by PSxG-GA (Post Shot Expected Goal minus Goal Against)
"
Post-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed
Positive numbers suggest better luck or an above average ability to stop shots
PSxG is expected goals based on how likely the goalkeeper is to save the shot
Note: Does not include own goals
xG totals include penalty kicks, but do not include penalty shootouts (unless otherwise noted). "

In Onana case, it was taking PSxG of 17.6 minus the 11 conceded goal = 6.6 (highest). So the key to understand this still lies with Post-Shot Expected Goals, and how they collect and quantify this stats.

"
What is Post-Shot xG?

Post-Shot xG (PSxG) is calculated after a shot has been taken and generally considers shot placement, and if the model includes it, goalkeeper positioning in assigning a value between 0 (off-target) and 1 to every shot.
Traditionally, PSxG's primary utility has been in assessing goalkeeper shot-stopping ability, although newer models that include extra factors like shot velocity could provide further insight into finishing ability.
"
https://statsbomb.com/soccer-metrics/expected-goals-xg-explained/

It can be interpreted that a tame shot aimed at far corner, even though GK could comfortably routinely get down to catch can have higher PSxG value than a rocket knuckleball from distance fired straight at GK, whom is forced to parry it because it's too scary to try to catch such shot.

So without the models with shot velocity, it's not a yet a reliable stats. And those model is not ready available for public. It seems to be only accessed or privately collected by professionals. This is where scouts who carry out eye tests on players are still uttermostly important.

Last edited:

frostbite

Is that from one specific season? I remember reading about him having a horror season either before or after his drug ban?

EDIT: Never mind. That was when he was at Ajax. Shite. Those stats are grim.
His manager at Ajax was ETH. And he wanted him again! Why?

Jund

This guy is a fraud. I am sorry, but there is no other way of putting it.

Honestly we should have just bought the Japnese guy, Altay, extend DDG for a year and call it a day.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Feel somewhat bad for him. Didn't help at all that Ziyech practised free kicks on him for years at Ajax. Onana looked nervous as hell when Ziyech was about to take the first one. A bit like having to take a penalty against a keeper that you've played with for years, fecks with you mentally.

First goal by Ziyech was very smart, he knew exactly what Onana wanted to do and exploited that perfectly.

Second free kick by Ziyech however was just Onana being a clown. He's got good potential and isn't a bad goalkeeper, but a couple of more mistake like these and people will doubt him forever, to a point where you'd think there's no coming back.

USREDEVIL

He's inconsistent. Which is the death knell for goalkeeping. He can be consistently great or consistently good, and that's good enough. But he's erratic, and that's bad.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Reminds me of Barthez. Extremely likeable but always have mistakes in him.
People drawing comparisons with Barthez have convinced me that they never saw Barthez at his peak or maybe even at MU.

Marseilles won the Champions League, France their World Cup and Euro with him, and he played no small part in these achievements. He was an exceptional GK, great at both shot stopping as well as with the ball at his feet, and one the best of his generation. Even at MU where he was clearly declining, he was still worlds apart and levels above Onana. Comparing the two is an insult to Barthez's talent and abilities.

Last edited:

ti vu

It’s a wild theory but maybe because he played well for Ajax, despite that one bad season?
When Onana was banned and/or having contract issue that Ajax still got crazy good defensive stats with their nothing special old back up GK. In this season, Onana only played 10 games the whole season (6 in Eredisive, 2 in CL, and 2 in domestic cup). It's actually difficult for GK to play bad for an in form Ajax in Eredisive during this time. They're simply too strong for the competition.

Last edited:

Oranges038

People drawing comparisons with Barthez have convinced me that they never saw Barthez at his peak or maybe even at MU.

Marseilles won the Champions League and France their World Cup with him and he played no small part in these two achievements. He was an exceptional GK, great at both shot stopping as well as with the ball at his feet, and one the best of his generation. Even at MU where he was clearly declining, he was still worlds apart and levels above Onana. Comparing the two is an insult to Barthez's talent and abilities.
Loved Barthez and style of goalkeeping, he was a great goalkeeper and a total lunatic. And for a spell he was brilliant for Utd. But towards the end of his time at Utd, he was fairly bad, I don't think Onana is there just yet.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Loved Barthez and style of goalkeeping, he was a great goalkeeper and a total lunatic. And for a spell he was brilliant for Utd. But towards the end of his time at Utd, he was fairly bad, I don't think Onana is there just yet.
He only had one great season at United and that was his first. The second and the third were mixed bags and by the end of the third it was clear that he was on his way out. Even then, I maintain that Onana has showed nothing that could warrant a comparison and is still worse than a bad Barthez. Onana is a dud and a car crash waiting to happen. The backline will never feel secure with him and there's always going to be costly howlers.

You're going to ship him off as soon as you can.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

He really needs to be benched for his own good, he can't keep feckin' up and continuing to be number 1, let Altay take over for couple of games, so Onana can at least learn that feckin' up isn't tolerated

ti vu

I think it's just vultures circling around the scent of blood now. I doubt Onana is telling anyone how he thinks right now.

Anyways, even if we entertain this type of gossip, it ironically maybe the opposite of this line of thinking. A time away maybe better for him in a long run. Unlikely for the Turkish GK or Heaton to do well long term in PL. If we're to buy a new emergency GK in early January. That's different story, but I doubt Glazers or the rumored new regime is that generous for another GK signing after spending 50mil on Onana.

Oranges038

He only had one great season at United and that was his first. The second and the third were mixed bags and by the end of the third it was clear that he was on his way out. Even then, I still maintain that Onana has showed nothing that could warrant a comparison and is still worse than a bad Barthez. Onana is a dud and a car crash waiting to happen. The backline will never feel secure with him and there's always going to be costly howlers.

You're going to ship him off as soon as you can.
I'd say he had 1 and half good seasons. His first and the second half of his second season.

Aside from the Di Canio goal, his first season was excellent. The first half of his second season was poor, Leeds/Arsenal/Deportivo were the biggest ones. The second half of his second season he was solid if not spectacular and didn't really do anything stupid.

His third season he was just plain awful. The Real game was the one where SAF had enough and dropped him for good.

poleglass red

There probably are, it's just United are always in the news and we are acutely aware of them. Onana's very weirdly are all in the CL - his PL form is genuinely very good.
he's made mistakes in the PL as well, Wolves very lucky to not concede a penalty, Forest first goal, he hesitated coming of his line to close the angle and they scored, Brentford let the ball squirm under him for a goal. Even in games where he doesn't concede he just doesn't inspire confidence. It seemed in recent games he was cutting out the lapses in concentration, but in that recent Everton game where he got kudos, he parried one shot right back into the penalty area, luckily no-one was there. He seems to do that a lot, as opposed, to parrying it wide of the goal mouth. ETH will stick by him, of that I've no doubt, just hope he can reduce his errors as much as possible moving forward. His technique at this stage will not be changed, but the mental aspect of it still can, and hopefully that's something we can address.

tomaldinho1

he's made mistakes in the PL as well, Wolves very lucky to not concede a penalty, Forest first goal, he hesitated coming of his line to close the angle and they scored, Brentford let the ball squirm under him for a goal. Even in games where he doesn't concede he just doesn't inspire confidence. It seemed in recent games he was cutting out the lapses in concentration, but in that recent Everton game where he got kudos, he parried one shot right back into the penalty area, luckily no-one was there. He seems to do that a lot, as opposed, to parrying it wide of the goal mouth. ETH will stick by him, of that I've no doubt, just hope he can reduce his errors as much as possible moving forward. His technique at this stage will not be changed, but the mental aspect of it still can, and hopefully that's something we can address.
Go to the best keeper in the league and you'll see similar to the above bar the weird Wolves penalty that never was.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There is no trait (goalkeeping wise) in which he is good.
1) On one on one situations he doesn't even come out. He even makes himself smaller to make it easier for attacker.
2) On crosses he is stuck on goal line.
3) Handling. Bad
4) Reflexes. Bad
5) Mobility on the goal line. Slow as feck.

Irwin99

That second goal is just an unbelievable error :( . I really hope he can recover from this.

Steve 007

I can’t defend him. Was on top of the world last night for a while. Looked superb if it wasn’t for his errors throughout the competition we’d be through already. I hope he comes good but I can’t see it.

poleglass red

Go to the best keeper in the league and you'll see similar to the above bar the weird Wolves penalty that never was.
you said he hasn't made mistakes in the PL, I just give you 3, 2 of which led to goals, and one which in my opinion was a penalty, he got none of the ball and cleaned the player out. Watch the Brentford goal again, for a keeper at any level, never mind the top to concede that is poor. Add in his mistakes in the CL as well, I don't think the best keepers in the league have made as many.

ClassAct147

At this point he's making Taibi and Roche (two of our absolute worst keepers ever) look like gods!
Thinks he's great on the ball so let's see him up the other end banging in a few.
Certainly knows how to find his own net ☹

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
you said he hasn't made mistakes in the PL, I just give you 3, 2 of which led to goals, and one which in my opinion was a penalty, he got none of the ball and cleaned the player out. Watch the Brentford goal again, for a keeper at any level, never mind the top to concede that is poor. Add in his mistakes in the CL as well, I don't think the best keepers in the league have made as many.
The best keeper in the league (Allison) probably made almost as many errors as Onana’s made in the league so far in his last match alone (bailed out by VAR)

tomaldinho1

Did I, can you quote where I said that? Thought not. Standard of post is so low these days.

poleglass red

Did I, can you quote where I said that? Thought not. Standard of post is so low these days.
you said, when discussing his mistakes " Onana's very weirdly are all in the CL ". To me, that gives me the impression that you felt he hadn't made any in the PL, I pointed out instances in the PL where I felt he has made mistakes that led to goals. If that's not what you meant, then I've misunderstood your post.

tomaldinho1

you said, when discussing his mistakes " Onana's very weirdly are all in the CL ". To me, that gives me the impression that you felt he hadn't made any in the PL, I pointed out instances in the PL where I felt he has made mistakes that led to goals. If that's not what you meant, then I've misunderstood your post.
The guy was talking about goalkeeper blunders, to me those are in order of shitness, Bayern (the worst), the 2nd last night, the 1st last night, the pass for the Case red card versus Gala. That’s all CL. What else is there?

I guess Wolves technically would have been but it wasn’t given otherwise I don’t see the goals he’s conceded as being much different to a standard keeper. The Brentford goal deflects off Lindelof’s arse and is a shot from just outside the 6 yard box, is that a mistake? Seems harsh to me.

But yeah, it's mostly low down shots he doesn't seem to know what to do with.
It riles me up so much to see the gk dive down and try to use his hands for a low hard shot. Just use your damn feet. DDG was pretty good at it, seemed to consistently produce a good rebound out of any immediate danger with the way he used his sole whenever he could.

poleglass red

The guy was talking about goalkeeper blunders, to me those are in order of shitness, Bayern (the worst), the 2nd last night, the 1st last night, the pass for the Case red card versus Gala. That’s all CL. What else is there?

I guess Wolves technically would have been but it wasn’t given otherwise I don’t see the goals he’s conceded as being much different to a standard keeper. The Brentford goal deflects off Lindelof’s arse and is a shot from just outside the 6 yard box, is that a mistake? Seems harsh to me.
very bad mistake in my opinion. The slight deflection of Lindelof actually did not divert the ball enough to effect him, he got a full hand on it on a shot from 12 yards that wasn't struck that hard and let squirm in under him. Agree to disagree I guess.

AdNani

Horrific mistakes at the worst possible time, but he’s been very good recently, I have faith that there’s a player in there for us, but nights like last night have to be years apart not months (every keeper makes mistakes, no point trying to say they should never happen )

tomaldinho1

very bad mistake in my opinion. The slight deflection of Lindelof actually did not divert the ball enough to effect him, he got a full hand on it on a shot from 12 yards that wasn't struck that hard and let squirm in under him. Agree to disagree I guess.
That's one I think you see every couple of weeks, it's just not really highlighted. Also sorry, you actually seem like a reasonable poster so apologies for the rude initial response, I have spent too much time in the ETH thread most likely.

Amir

His third season he was just plain awful. The Real game was the one where SAF had enough and dropped him for good.
I actually thought Barthez had a very good third season. Well, 80% of the third season. His form absolutely collapsed towards the end of the season as he gave away goals match after match, and eventually lost his place after that Real game.

Amir

At this point he's making Taibi and Roche (two of our absolute worst keepers ever) look like gods!
Taibi gave away a cheap goal on his debut at Anfield, that howler against Le Tissier on his third match, and a howler against Poyet which lead to the first goal in a 0:5 loss at Chelsea in his fourth and final match.

Nothing will ever make him like good, let alone like god.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
If he goes to afcon and the backup plays well the fans will want him to stay as 1st choice.

He has to back his GK we don't have a solid 2 like arsenal - he needs to get it together or he's going to get eth axed and the next guy will ship him day 1.

kundalini

His PSxG +/- was -4.1, which is the worst Inter have recorded since 2017-18 (which is as far back as FBref goes with xG stats). Scary in the sense that those who were claiming that his CL performances don't tell the whole story actually had some stats to back their claim up. I remember a friend at work telling me, back in the summer, that it's a bit suspicious that the Italians were more than willing to discuss a price. The goalkeeper position in football is idiosyncratic, and you'd expect more resistance for a top in his class goalie.
- 4.1 was Inter's PSxG +/- in Serie A

Onana 24 games (90 mins) - 2.7 PSxG +/-
Handanovic 13.7 games (90 mins) - 2.0 PSxG +/-
Cordaz 0.3 games + 0.5 PSxG +/-

https://fbref.com/en/squads/d609edc0/2022-2023/c11/Internazionale-Stats-Serie-A

All these stats can fluctuate so much that it is difficult to assess a keeper on a small sample size. Even one season might be more good/bad fortune than skill.

So far, Onana has been a nervous wreck in CL matches for United but fairly good overall in PL, though his technique looks unconvincing at times.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

- 4.1 was Inter's PSxG +/- in Serie A

Onana 24 games (90 mins) - 2.7 PSxG +/-
Handanovic 13.7 games (90 mins) - 2.0 PSxG +/-
Cordaz 0.3 games + 0.5 PSxG +/-

https://fbref.com/en/squads/d609edc0/2022-2023/c11/Internazionale-Stats-Serie-A

All these stats can fluctuate so much that it is difficult to assess a keeper on a small sample size. Even one season might be more good/bad fortune than skill.
That's a bit more optimistic. Hopefully, we see a lesser version of himself now and he'll improve in time.