Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Real Name

Onana has conceded 44 goals for Man United

He only signed for us 5 months ago
Not all of the goals are on him, defense made a lot of errors too and the fact he's playing in front of a different CB pair practically every game certainly doesn't help.

Son

I like Onana but the AFCON would be a mistake if he goes.

I really don’t think he has enough credit in the bank and we are in a good enough position in the table for the first team keeper to just leave for an extended time.

All while we are paying his wages in his first season after a huge transfer. It’s not exactly a blue print for success is it.

Oranges038

Sorry, but yet another swing and a miss. Apart from his shambolic nonreaction on the first goal, Onana had a decent game, but his footwork had exactly zero to do with our ability to break Villa diwn in the second half. But if the argument is that Onana’s footwork had everything to do with our performance in the first half I would ask you take a fresh look at the score at halftime. And beyond going down 0-2 in the first half, the score actually didn’t even reflect his badly we were outplayed. We passed the ball back to Onana, who passed it to his fullbacks — all good, that’s the idea — who then passed it side to side and often back to Onana who then passed it back to a fullback. There was no progression. Our laborious passing invited Villa to squeeze us, which they did and our play suffered. It is no exaggeration to observe that our play was horrifying and that Villa’s two nil lead was fully deserved.

Our horror play on the ball was not Onana’s fault, but the style of play required to capitalize on Onana’s outstanding footwork does not suit at all and we see that time and again this season, a round peg being forced into a square joke with predictable results. Only when our play was more incisive and when we squeezed Villa up the pitch did we completely overturn the horror show of the first half when we relied on the slow buildup play that somehow has become a god into itself among some here.
Do you ever get tired of making shit up?

Devil81

I like Onana but the AFCON would be a mistake if he goes.

I really don’t think he has enough credit in the bank and we are in a good enough position in the table for the first team keeper to just leave for an extended time.

All while we are paying his wages in his first season after a huge transfer. It’s not exactly a blue print for success is it.
He'd be blocked from playing for us if he refused the call up.

flameinthesun

Now is the time to invest in a cheap young prospect that can hopefully be devloped to replace him if good enough. Always felt like with De Gea we never had a young keeper to challenge him apart from Henderson who wasn't really the profile of a modern keeper. I remember Chelsea having an outstanding Cudicini and still buying Cech.

Raveneye

Unpopular opinion: The first goal Villa scored should not be held against Onana. The cross came in and the ball came within a hair's breadth of an onrushing striker's foot. Onana was positioned to react to the inevitable high ball from such contact. Striker just barely whiffs and the ball ends up just following its natural trajectory down and to the side. It was a very weird situation that could have wrongfooted anybody. Short of asking Onana to commit suicide to catch the ball further up against that onrushing wall of studs and bodies, I'm not sure what else he could have done to prevent the goal.

Anustart89

Unpopular opinion: The first goal Villa scored should not be held against Onana. The cross came in and the ball came within a hair's breadth of an onrushing striker's foot. Onana was positioned to react to the inevitable high ball from such contact. Striker just barely whiffs and the ball ends up just following its natural trajectory down and to the side. It was a very weird situation that could have wrongfooted anybody. Short of asking Onana to commit suicide to catch the ball further up against that onrushing wall of studs and bodies, I'm not sure what else he could have done to prevent the goal.
I agree with this. It looks bad but it's literally a matter of centimeters whether a player gets a touch on it or not. To get caught in two minds in that situation is very natural, and pinning that on him is just a case of having a pre-formed opinion that you're seeking to validate. If he had been off-centre to catch the ball and somebody had got a touch to it, the same people would've been in here saying "he has to anticipate that a player might touch the ball, look at him all the way to the right the moron!!!"

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
In the match thread, I'm sure that poster will have had maybe 5-10 posts about the actual comeback and win, after probably 30 posts slagging Onana off.

Might be one of the biggest agenda merchants on the caf, with some stiff competition.

Bondi77

I am looking forward to see what the young Turk is like and then seeing the reaction on here to Onana if the young man does really well....should generate another 100 pages of the all that has been already said :houllier:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ya people are overreacting now. That first goal is messy but hard to blame the keeper, they happen a few times a season and catch the very best keepers out. You're expecting a touch and trying to anticipate but no touch is as deceiving as a touch might have been. Quite clearly good at passing again last night and took plenty of pressure off defenders who were being pressed. I'm all for fair criticism - Onana was decent last night though, or at the very least not at fault for anything.
If you’re being honest with yourself we both know if de gea let that in he would get ripped for not coming for the ball, not controlling his defence, not commanding his box, letting the ball bounce inside the 6 yard box.

just because we’ve now got a new keeper who’s dropped more than a few clangers doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hold them to different standards. It’s the same as Maguire got dogs abuse for holding onto the ball before passing but now Onana is keeping it for ages before passing he’s getting praised for it

Oranges038

In the match thread, I'm sure that poster will have had maybe 5-10 posts about the actual comeback and win, after probably 30 posts slagging Onana off.

Might be one of the biggest agenda merchants on the caf, with some stiff competition.
It's constant with the same shite about Onana's footwork and passing not helping the forwards score goals. A argument they've entirely created in their own head.

It's bizarre.

Pirlo'sBeard

He could do better, but he’s not the calamity keyboard warriors on here are making out, just an easy target.

He’s been criminally exposed, when he’s supposed to be adjusting to the PL, by a terrible defence (our 9th CB pairing last night?). He’s 4th in the PL saves table, which is way too high and illustrates his exposure, but we’re also joint fourth or fifth in least GA - shows he’s not the sieve some like to make out.

All this is exacerbated further by the fact that we’re barely scoring.

He has the mental strength that most of our team lack, watch his interview after the CL final, or him congratulating Rasmus last night - with a settled back 4 the uncertainty will disappear and he’ll become our anchor.

If you look at the bigger picture you’ll get a more balanced perspective.
He is a calamity and arguably solely responsible for us exiting Europe.

Look at the mistakes he's made. It's basic goalkeeping. Nothing to do with the defence in front of him.

Betson

He wants to delay his departure to play Wigan game but it makes far more sense for us to have his deputy play the Wigan game rather throwing him in cold for the Spurs game on the 14th.

FerociousCorgis

I want to know who's idea it is to have him step on the ball and wait forever to play any sort of pass. 90 percent of time it just leads to more pressure and him hoofing the ball deep 5 seconds later once he gets the pass back. I don't know if that is what EtH is telling him to do or what he is choosing to do

Real Name

I want to know who's idea it is to have him step on the ball and wait forever to play any sort of pass. 90 percent of time it just leads to more pressure and him hoofing the ball deep 5 seconds later once he gets the pass back. I don't know if that is what EtH is telling him to do or what he is choosing to do
Well if he doesnt have anyone to pass to he waits for a good pass or hoofs it. Certainly better than to pass to a teammate surrounded by opposing players.

Varun

Staff
The idea is exactly that, invite a press and then play around it because he's good with the ball. It'll work better on the whole when the likes of Licha come back who can build from there instead of hoofing it

Anustart89

If him waiting invites a press and makes five or six players from the opposition move further up the field, then it says itself that those five or six players are going to be further from their own goal and less able to defend it if we can quickly bypass that press.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve asked this a few times too and people will defend it and say it’s tactics, yet when Maguire did it probably for the same reason he got slated for it

chocolate cloud

I'm delighted the AFCON is on so this fraud can feck off. He wastes so much time dawdling on the ball. He's a dreadful shot stopper. Hopefully Bayindir is better. Also can we cancel Amrabats loan. Farcical getting him in on loan and then not available for a month.

Brazilian_Ronaldo_9

I’ve asked this a few times too and people will defend it and say it’s tactics, yet when Maguire did it probably for the same reason he got slated for it
Because when a keeper has it and gets pressed, there’s a free man on the pitch. The keeper becomes an extra outfield player.

When a defender does it, it’s 10v10 and most players are likely to be marked. Only a quick one two will break the lines.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because when a keeper has it and gets pressed, there’s a free man on the pitch. The keeper becomes an extra outfield player.

When a defender does it, it’s 10v10 and most players are likely to be marked. Only a quick one two will break the lines.
My point was how do people know if it’s tactics or not. Brighton defenders always take ages with their foot on the ball to draw in attackers

Brazilian_Ronaldo_9

My point was how do people know if it’s tactics or not. Brighton defenders always take ages with their foot on the ball to draw in attackers
I get your point, the fact that Onana keeps doing it probably shows he’s been advised to do that. You’d think at the professions level, they receive feedback after game and training session :wenger:

lex talionis

I highly recommend actually watching our matches.

Onana was brought in under the belief that a “modern keeper” will “transform” our attack through his mastery of “ball playing ability”. I’ve documented this mania three times already.

But no serious poster would actually deny that the main selling point for Onana was his footwork, which is excellent. But no serious poster would argue that our buildup play has been excellent. I’ve made the point that annyone with open eyes can see that our buildup play has been poor despite Onana’s excellent footwork. Hopefully all that changes starting with Forest but it cannot be argued that so far this season that our buildup play has been excellent ir that we have in any way been an attacking juggernaut.

As for his comnand of the box, all anyone has to do it take another look at Onana on the first Villa goal. The ball hit the ground one and a half yards from the goal line. The hope for Onana was that he would claim balls on crosses, not remain rooted to his line, let alone go to the ground when the ball is in the air to be claimed.

As for his shot stopping, I invite you to describe his shot stopping.but to make it easy for you let’s try multiple choice: A) Excellent. B) Good. C) Decent. D) Poor. E) Dire. And no, you don’t get to exclude his performances in the CL, which Onana single-handedly sent us out from.

There’s no point in not being honest our the performances of our players. It’s one thing to have high hopes over incoming players and all of us understand that it takes time for young players to pull themselves together to meet expectations, but Onana is 27 and was brought in as the finished article who had excelled in a CL final. We all expected a few wobbly performances but it’s now late December and we’re still seeing horror performances.

But if you’re emotionally too invested in Onana to be blind to his actual performances, carry on.

Matson

It sounds to me like he's just worried about losing his place. He should have been dropped already and we really need the other keeper in place for the fa cup game so he can actually get some game time in a less stressful match.

Oranges038

I highly recommend actually watching our matches.

Onana was brought in under the belief that a “modern keeper” will “transform” our attack through his mastery of “ball playing ability”. I’ve documented this mania three times already.

But no serious poster would actually deny that the main selling point for Onana was his footwork, which is excellent. But no serious poster would argue that our buildup play has been excellent. I’ve made the point that annyone with open eyes can see that our buildup play has been poor despite Onana’s excellent footwork. Hopefully all that changes starting with Forest but it cannot be argued that so far this season that our buildup play has been excellent ir that we have in any way been an attacking juggernaut.

As for his comnand of the box, all anyone has to do it take another look at Onana on the first Villa goal. The ball hit the ground one and a half yards from the goal line. The hope for Onana was that he would claim balls on crosses, not remain rooted to his line, let alone go to the ground when the ball is in the air to be claimed.

As for his shot stopping, I invite you to describe his shot stopping.but to make it easy for you let’s try multiple choice: A) Excellent. B) Good. C) Decent. D) Poor. E) Dire. And no, you don’t get to exclude his performances in the CL, which Onana single-handedly sent us out from.

There’s no point in not being honest our the performances of our players. It’s one thing to have high hopes over incoming players and all of us understand that it takes time for young players to pull themselves together to meet expectations, but Onana is 27 and was brought in as the finished article who had excelled in a CL final. We all expected a few wobbly performances but it’s now late December and we’re still seeing horror performances.

But if you’re emotionally too invested in Onana to be blind to his actual performances, carry on.
Not true at all, he was brought in to play a key role in the build up phase with his footwork passing and vision. The same way he was used at Ajax and Inter. And also to enable a higher line with his sweeping.

This idea that he would transform the attack and somehow make strikers take chances is something you've made up. His role will become more and more refined as time goes on and he gets a more settled back 4 in front of him, Martinez is the key building block missing from CB. Even though he doesn't claim as many crosses as expected he's still doing better than a lot of keepers, his sweeping hasn't been as evident because Utd really haven't been playing high a line but he's done when he's had to.

I'm not emotionally invested at all, he's not been great but neither has he been as bad as some people would like to believe. Yes, he's made mistakes and big ones in Europe and that has clouded a lot of opinions on him overall. But his league form has been fine, he's the second best performing keeper in terms of shot stopping and psxg and has the joint most clean sheets or had the last time I checked.

Those metrics and stats were all good enough to proclaim DDG as the best shot stopper in the world, but the same logic isn't being applied to Onana. Somehow he's a clown and the worst keeper ever to play for the club. It's ridiculous.

Cantonalegod

Not true at all, he was brought in to play a key role in the build up phase with his footwork passing and vision. The same way he was used at Ajax and Inter. And also to enable a higher line with his sweeping.

This idea that he would transform the attack and somehow make strikers take chances is something you've made up. His role will become more and more refined as time goes on and he gets a more settled back 4 in front of him, Martinez is the key building block missing from CB. Even though he doesn't claim as many crosses as expected he's still doing better than a lot of keepers, his sweeping hasn't been as evident because Utd really haven't been playing high a line but he's done when he's had to.

I'm not emotionally invested at all, he's not been great but neither has he been as bad as some people would like to believe. Yes, he's made mistakes and big ones in Europe and that has clouded a lot of opinions on him overall. But his league form has been fine, he's the second best performing keeper in terms of shot stopping and psxg and has the joint most clean sheets or had the last time I checked.

Those metrics and stats were all good enough to proclaim DDG as the best shot stopper in the world, but the same logic isn't being applied to Onana. Somehow he's a clown and the worst keeper ever to play for the club. It's ridiculous.
He may have the joint highest clean sheets at present, but there are also 8 keepers above him with a higher percentage of clean sheets.

You can make stats work in many ways:)

Oranges038

He may have the joint highest clean sheets at present, but there are also 8 keepers above him with a higher percentage of clean sheets.

You can make stats work in many ways:)
Only if you include players who've played 2 or 3 games.

There are 3 above him who've played almost every game.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Hate is unreal here. While I understand he has been error prone our build up play also has improved. He is the sole reason why Arsenal or Liverpool couldn't press high as they always does at emirates and Anfield .

I am quite confident of any high press now. We now have the ability to beat the press and that's down to him.

Mwooyo

Hate is unreal here. While I understand he has been error prone our build up play also has improved. He is the sole reason why Arsenal or Liverpool couldn't press high as they always does at emirates and Anfield .

I am quite confident of any high press now. We now have the ability to beat the press and that's down to him.
me too...our play from the back is like night and day...I saw Arsenal and Liverpool strikers fear to press him...something I never thought I would ever see at manutd. His saving will get better but the play with his feet is elite

Kostov

You just need to look at the De Gea thread of last year and your involvement here to see how you are not invested emotionally at all.

Oranges038

You just need to look at the De Gea thread of last year and your involvement here to see how you are not invested emotionally at all.
I was emotionally invested in seeing him gone and thankfully it's happened. I never particularly wanted Onana, I would have preferred Costa. But I can see the benefit of what a keeper with his skillset brings to the team overall, so there wasn't much difference between them and yeah he's had some stinkers but he's been better than most are willing to give him credit for.

He's only been in 6 months and is still more or less settling into a team with a mixed up defence who really aren't used to playing with a keeper of his style. I understand the frustration and concern about his style and some of his basic goalkeeping skills, but if they really were serious flaws they have been ironed out by now.

It takes more time than a few months to bed in and play with new players and for all to those relationships and movements to become second nature on the pitch. If you lot were willing to defend DDG to the hilt after 5 years of up and down performances, howlers and bizarre mistakes, surely you can afford Onana the same luxury?