View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Oranges038

If that's the case why did Schmiechel say it was, and why did he play for Villa and City?
I remember him saying that the demands at United were higher, a lot higher, not just physically but mentally, the fans were more demanding, the manager was demanding, you are only correct if we have allowed our standards to slip to very poor level.
I keep saying it, others keep saying it, yet his fans never reply, this is not a raw keeper, this is a keeper with ECL, European and International experience, he should not be making these mistakes on such a regular basis, he should be the finished article, but he is a million miles from that.
The only high pressure environment Schemichel knew was Utd, it was a different time where Utd were expected to compete on 3 fronts every year. That's a hell of a lot different to where Utd are right now and it comes with a whole different set of expectations and pressure.

Utd went through loads of keepers after Schemichel and before VDS, SAF identified DDG ad the long term replacement for VDS and for 5 years he was very good, the last 5 after his disastrous WC in 2018, he wilted under pressure and cost Utd with a lot of errors. Arsenal went through loads of keepers after Seaman. Liverpool have probably had 20 keepers in the last 20 years until Allison. Chelsea have gone through who knows how many since Cech. Look across Europe. Most top teams tend to bring in keepers and keep them long term once they have found the right player, one who is good enough but also a player who can handle the pressure. Real have only had 2 or 3 in the last 20 years, Barca the same, as have Bayern. In between long term keepers they've tried one or two and they've not heen good enough, so they went again and found one that was.

The high pressure and expectation is the same across all top teams, not just at Utd. He's only been in the country 6 months, so he maybe he's still settling in and once he does and sorts himself out we'll see a different player on the pitch. Or maybe the answer is, he's just not good enough and not confident enough in his ability to be able to handle the pressure of playing for a top team under such scrutiny. Then the club will just have to go out and find another keeper.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The only high pressure environment Schemichel knew was Utd, it was a different time where Utd were expected to compete on 3 fronts every year. That's a hell of a lot different to where Utd are right now and it comes with a whole different set of expectations and pressure.

Utd went through loads of keepers after Schemichel and before VDS, SAF identified DDG ad the long term replacement for VDS and for 5 years he was very good, the last 5 after his disastrous WC in 2018, he wilted under pressure and cost Utd with a lot of errors. Arsenal went through loads of keepers after Seaman. Liverpool have probably had 20 keepers in the last 20 years until Allison. Chelsea have gone through who knows how many since Cech. Look across Europe. Most top teams tend to bring in keepers and keep them long term once they have found the right player, one who is good enough but also a player who can handle the pressure. Real have only had 2 or 3 in the last 20 years, Barca the same, as have Bayern. In between long term keepers they've tried one or two and they've not heen good enough, so they went again and found one that was.

The high pressure and expectation is the same across all top teams, not just at Utd. He's only been in the country 6 months, so he maybe he's still settling in and once he does and sorts himself out we'll see a different player on the pitch. Or maybe the answer is, he's just not good enough and not confident enough in his ability to be able to handle the pressure of playing for a top team under such scrutiny. Then the club will just have to go out and find another keeper.
There is obviously a far higher level of scrutiny that comes with playing for United. There's a reason why "United generate clicks" is a thing in the media.

Oranges038

There is obviously a far higher level of scrutiny that comes with playing for United. There's a reason why "United generate clicks" is a thing in the media.
That's media generated nonsense.

The pressure and expectation on Utd players to perform to a high level, isn't any bigger than it is on players at other top teams.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There used to be a fairly unique pressure of being a goalkeeper at United where you might not touch the ball for ages and only have to make one or two saves in a match. Which is a real test of concentration. Not any more!

Cantonalegod

Which is the exact shape a goalkeeper is trained to adopt when blocking a shot from very close to them and they won’t have time to react. It’s a shape that makes them as big a barrier as possible while also making it hard for a striker to put the ball through their legs.

So crazy this needs to be pointed out to United fans, considering DDG often gets credited with being one of the first keepers to use that style of block.
If the guy had hammered it through his legs from that range no one would be complaining, but it went inches over his shoulder.
Sorry, if you thought that was good goalkeeping....
If you look at the replay from behind he actually makes himself smaller.
There is a clear 4 feet of space (half the height of the goal) above him, and he's glued to the spot.
If he had advanced a yard or two (been proactive) and adopted the position he did he WOULD have saved it.
If he is closer to the shooter that space does not exist.
The goal was not on him, but once again it shows up the flaws in his technique.
He is a static keeper who does not advance as and when he needs to, we have seen it all season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's media generated nonsense.

The pressure and expectation on Utd players to perform to a high level, isn't any bigger than it is on players at other top teams.
Yeah it's obviously not. Articles about United generally generate more clicks then articles about other teams. Thats a fact - I've literally had people who work in the media confirm this to me.

There used to be a fairly unique pressure of being a goalkeeper at United where you might not touch the ball for ages and only have to make one or two saves in a match. Which is a real test of concentration. Not any more!
Yeah that's true!

There is still just an obvious different level of pressure that comes for any player that plays for us, goalkeeper or not.

Devil81

Absolute crap, rooted on the line and shies away from the shot for the second goal.
No idea why he's so rooted to his line all of a sudden, he literally wouldn't move a foot off it yesterday on crosses.

Oranges038

Yeah it's obviously not. Articles about United generally generate more clicks then articles about other teams. Thats a fact - I've literally had people who work in the media confirm this to me.

Yeah that's true!

There is still just an obvious different level of pressure that comes for any player that plays for us, goalkeeper or not.
We all know it, it's not a new concept. But this isn't about media driven nonsense. This isn't about public pressure or perceptions in the media.

The pressure and expectation to perform at other top clubs is the same. If you go out on the pitch for any team with doubts about your own ability to perform, you're fecked.

What we're seeing with Onana is a guy who is second guessing himself all the time, he's not confident in his own ability and that is a problem. Whether that's because he's still settling in or maybe he's he's just not good enough. Who knows.

Last edited:

IRONTUSK

The guy just isn`t very commanding is he?
I thought coming in this was one of the big parts of his game, maybe it`s just too much pressure for him.

Does anyone else think he looks small in the goal as well? or am I just imagining it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If the guy had hammered it through his legs from that range no one would be complaining, but it went inches over his shoulder.
Sorry, if you thought that was good goalkeeping....
If you look at the replay from behind he actually makes himself smaller.
There is a clear 4 feet of space (half the height of the goal) above him, and he's glued to the spot.
If he had advanced a yard or two (been proactive) and adopted the position he did he WOULD have saved it.
If he is closer to the shooter that space does not exist.
The goal was not on him, but once again it shows up the flaws in his technique.
He is a static keeper who does not advance as and when he needs to, we have seen it all season.
Ok, now you’re moving the goalposts. First of all you were complaining about his stance. Now his positioning. They are two separate issues. As I said, his stance was textbook. That’s what keepers are taught to do when they need to block a shot that will be so close to them that they won’t have time to react.

Whether he could have got close to Bentacur is a different issue but you have to factor in the investment of Evans. Who was close to the goal and had a good chance to make a block. Which left almost no time for Onana to get out to close the shot once Bentacur beat Evans.

At the end of the day if any top striker gets a free shot at goal from that close in then it’s an incredibly difficult save to make. But Onana is going to get dog’s abuse regardless because everyone has already decided he’s shite. So fill your boots, I guess.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Noticed that yesterday. Maybe his way of coping with the stress.
When he joined us he said he wasn't as fit as he'd like to be so I thought "fair enough"-he knows he's got some work to do in the gym but he still looks heavy to me.

You'd think that with a goalie, a few extra pounds is a hindrance to your agility. He's probably one of the heaviest set goalies in the PL

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
When he joined us he said he wasn't as fit as he'd like to be so I thought "fair enough"-he knows he's got some work to do in the gym but he still looks heavy to me.

You'd think that with a goalie, a few extra pounds is a hindrance to your agility. He's probably one of the heaviest set goalies in the PL
Did you ever watch Neville Southall?!

RedIan

Glued to his line on corners, exactly what will make you defence nervy. Too lsow to react to shots… He has been very disappointing so far. He almost single handedly cost us a place in the Champions league next stage And he knows it. That will have cost the club millions.

Anustart89

I love how people just expect Onana to bulldoze through a sea of bodies on every corner, as if they’re transparent and aren’t obstacles at all. Went well for the Burnley keeper the other night, didn’t it? And that was just the one guy.

And then the same people would be laughing at him going “haha welcome to the PL you think you’re going to be as protected as in Italy? Now feck off to the AFCON”.

flameinthesun

He's the wrong keeper for this United team unfortunately. We don't play possession football, which is where he'd likely excel, he's not good enough from a goalkeeping perspective for a team that concedes the chances that we concede. For most of the season he's forced to kick the ball long which ends up giving the ball away bar the odd pass to someone in acres of space, so we are not even using him for what he is best at which is playing high up and keeping possession.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's the wrong keeper for this United team unfortunately. We don't play possession football, which is where he'd likely excel, he's not good enough from a goalkeeping perspective for a team that concedes the chances that we concede. For most of the season he's forced to kick the ball long which ends up giving the ball away bar the odd pass to someone in acres of space, so we are not even using him for what he is best at which is playing high up and keeping possession.
I think the point is we want to transition into a possession team and so we signed him (however he isn't the only piece of the puzzle)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We all know it, it's not a new concept. But this isn't about media driven nonsense. This isn't about public pressure or perceptions in the media.

The pressure and expectation to perform at other top clubs is the same. If you go out on the pitch for any team with doubts about your own ability to perform, you're fecked.

What we're seeing with Onana is a guy who is second guessing himself all the time, he's not confident in his own ability and that is a problem. Whether that's because he's still settling in or maybe he's he's just not good enough. Who knows.
You don't think the sheer amount of over-the-top criticism for every little thing has an impact on the pressure the keeper is under? Look at that situation in his very first game for us where he barged into the Wolves player. It's one that 'could' have been a penalty but keepers get away with things like that all the time, yet it was virtually back page news for a couple of weeks, every commentator and sports journalist was making a massive deal about it for ages, etc. Any other keeper in the league does that and it's barely talked about at the time and is forgotten the next week. That constant over-the-top criticism does have an impact, both directly on the player who is being unfairly criticised left, right and centre and on the fans.

The Man Utd keeper is certainly under more pressure than any other keeper in England. Real Madrid is perhaps the only other club in Europe with a similar amount of pressure, but even they basically have half the media in Spain in their back pocket.

The demands and pressure from within the club doesn't change between us and other top teams. You are correct in that. But players don't live in a bubble. Outside influences obviously make an impact too.

Cantonalegod

Ok, now you’re moving the goalposts. First of all you were complaining about his stance. Now his positioning. They are two separate issues. As I said, his stance was textbook. That’s what keepers are taught to do when they need to block a shot that will be so close to them that they won’t have time to react.

Whether he could have got close to Bentacur is a different issue but you have to factor in the investment of Evans. Who was close to the goal and had a good chance to make a block. Which left almost no time for Onana to get out to close the shot once Bentacur beat Evans.

At the end of the day if any top striker gets a free shot at goal from that close in then it’s an incredibly difficult save to make. But Onana is going to get dog’s abuse regardless because everyone has already decided he’s shite. So fill your boots, I guess.
Wish I could have moved the goalposts yesterday, or at least lowered the bar 4 feet!!!
I think a percentage of the fault for that goal is on Onana, he could do much better.
This is the Onana performance thread after all! The main blame is that the midfield allowed Spurs to carve through us far too easily, and Jonny Evans, (who's actually been pretty good this season), certainly didn't cover himself in glory allowing too much space for the shot.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He looks small and fat to me.

I’m struggling to see how he’s 6ft 3, he makes the goal look huge he just has zero presence. Plus his Mobility is absolutely awful, he has the reaction time of my grandma.

Oranges038

You don't think the sheer amount of over-the-top criticism for every little thing has an impact on the pressure the keeper is under? Look at that situation in his very first game for us where he barged into the Wolves player. It's one that 'could' have been a penalty but keepers get away with things like that all the time, yet it was virtually back page news for a couple of weeks, every commentator and sports journalist was making a massive deal about it for ages, etc. Any other keeper in the league does that and it's barely talked about at the time and is forgotten the next week. That constant over-the-top criticism does have an impact, both directly on the player who is being unfairly criticised left, right and centre and on the fans.

The Man Utd keeper is certainly under more pressure than any other keeper in England. Real Madrid is perhaps the only other club in Europe with a similar amount of pressure, but even they basically have half the media in Spain in their back pocket.

The demands and pressure from within the club doesn't change between us and other top teams. You are correct in that. But players don't live in a bubble. Outside influences obviously make an impact too.
That is aside from the England keeper. Maybe Utd should just sign Pickford.

Thiagoal

I love how people just expect Onana to bulldoze through a sea of bodies on every corner, as if they’re transparent and aren’t obstacles at all. Went well for the Burnley keeper the other night, didn’t it? And that was just the one guy.

And then the same people would be laughing at him going “haha welcome to the PL you think you’re going to be as protected as in Italy? Now feck off to the AFCON”.
The ball literally landed inside the six yard box. You’d expect any half decent keeper to come out and claim or punch that away. Hugely disappointed in him since signing and not sure why we’ve been so desperate for him to play while AFCON is on. Need to get rid in the summer as we aren’t going to progress as a team with such a poor and limited goalkeeper

Matt Varnish

Reports that he didn't make it for the Cameroon game at AFCON, something about his private jet having to land because of poor weather, and he's stranded 150miles from the ground.
The game is underway and Cameroon are losing.

The bloke can't even catch a lift !

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One moment versus ton of goals conceded every game in which he had a direct role in many of them.
His errors played a big part but solely blaming him ignores how terribly we were defensively in the CL.

thisisnottaken1

Reports that he didn't make it for the Cameroon game at AFCON, something about his private jet having to land because of poor weather, and he's stranded 150miles from the ground.
The game is underway and Cameroon are losing.

The bloke can't even catch a lift !
It was so ridiculous that the club didn’t allow him to go earlier.

Idxomer

He played one of the few good passes from United last night with his left foot to Bruno who should've done more of it.

ti vu

It had something do with ongoing VAR issue than just ABU agenda in this case. The very same ref made the howler with disallowed goal for Liverpool by ignoring VAR, added fuel to the flame.

Anustart89

It had something do with ongoing VAR issue than just ABU agenda in this case. The very same ref made the howler with disallowed goal for Liverpool by ignoring VAR, added fuel to the flame.
That's not what happened if you're talking about the Luis Diaz goal v Spurs.

Anustart89

What happened then?
The VAR correctly identified that he was onside but just verbally confirmed the on-field decision by saying "check complete". The VAR had mistakenly thought that the on-field decision was onside and not offside.

ti vu

The VAR correctly identified that he was onside but just verbally confirmed the on-field decision by saying "check complete". The VAR had mistakenly thought that the on-field decision was onside and not offside.
Still a VAR issue, in this case the communication part, right? Significant issue, where the same on field ref was being involved, Simon Hooper.

Logically, the ref could still have corrected the decision after further consulting with VAR than just being robot and upheld a communication mistake.

IWat

Which is the exact shape a goalkeeper is trained to adopt when blocking a shot from very close to them and they won’t have time to react. It’s a shape that makes them as big a barrier as possible while also making it hard for a striker to put the ball through their legs.

So crazy this needs to be pointed out to United fans, considering DDG often gets credited with being one of the first keepers to use that style of block.
Sure but he's using it when the shot is not coming from close enough to him to use it properly. The whole idea is that if the ball goes over you it's on a trajectory over the bar. The fact the ball keeps going over his shoulder (this is not the first time) from a shot (and not a lob) and not even hitting the top of the net is proof of that.